45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's hard for me to keep up. Is anybody seriously thinking that Meadows wore a wiretap and recorded trump for months?

Yeah, I am.  Meadow's black soul didn't just flip out of a conscience.  He offered something the Feds needed, and they have more than enough he said, she said accusations. They have to have actual physical tangible evidence, and there was something that others looked at and said, damn, Smith has a strong case.  

What you said plus: 
Limbaugh made politic entertaining. Idiots drawn to the fun flame got all mouthy despite failing high school algebra. Fucking social media gave the dumbest a chamber of idiocy. Hence GQP 

I don’t think Rush tapped into the anger as was said above as much as he convinced people to be angry then fueled it.

Loudest mouth wins is what he really set in motion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t think Rush tapped into the anger as was said above as much as he convinced people to be angry then fueled it.

He made idiots feel smart. That’s the value.  Gave them opinions they couldn’t even fully comprehend. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yeah, the political fury (see "Reagan vs Carter") was a lot less incendiary prior to Rush.  He observed the efforts of Newt et all and ran with it.  It worked.

You mean like suicide-suicide?  Or Epstein-suicide?  Because there's about 70 million people who are going to believe it is Epstein-suicide no matter what.
No way this coward narcissist kills himself. None. Indirectly via pills and a rage induced heart attack sure. But he lacks courage to step in front of a bus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Yeah, I am.  Meadow's black soul didn't just flip out of a conscience.  He offered something the Feds needed, and they have more than enough he said, she said accusations. They have to have actual physical tangible evidence, and there was something that others looked at and said, damn, Smith has a strong case.  

Thing is though, Meadows' utility to the government declined every day past January 6 and certainly January 20, 2021.  By the time they secured his cooperation, I very seriously doubt he was getting any useful information from anyone, by recording device or anything else.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well true, what they asked for is "dismissal."  Dismissal, judgment on the pleadings, summary judgment, and directed verdict/JNOV are all pretty much the same thing, just at different evidentiary stages of the cases.

But, also, if a judge decides a trial is necessary, even a bench trial, to evaluate the evidence, I suppose a directed verdict is appropriate if the evidence can't support the verdict.  The feds adoption of judgment as a matter of law kind of covers all the bases.

The other ridiculously stupid thing is, I think the state's case is far from over, so not only is Cohen just one witness, preceded by several more, I think he's going to be followed by several more.   Where on earth they got the idea that they won the case on Cohen's testimony is anyone's guess.  Their own Johnny Jolly moment.

It was a political/PR stunt and nothing more. Right wing media will push the narrative that he’s winning the case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thing is though, Meadows' utility to the government declined every day past January 6 and certainly January 20, 2021.  By the time they secured his cooperation, I very seriously doubt he was getting any useful information from anyone, by recording device or anything else.

I think you grossly overestimate these criminal masterminds.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'd love for Biden and Trump to debate and for Biden to say "Hey Donald ... you rant about crime in New York City.  Every year during my administration, the murder/rape/burglary statistics for New York City have gone down.  During your last year as President, the number of murders in New York City increased 50 percent.  50 percent, folks!  This was after decades in which the number of murders dropped by 80 percent. Now Donald says he's going to reduce crime in New York City. If that's true, why didn't he do so before and why did we see such an incredible increase in homicides in New York City when he was president?"

The first thing out of Trump's mouth would be "That's a lie! Murders didn't increase in New York City when I was President!"  

The fact checkers would be all over it. 

Or, more succinctly:  "Donald, you always talk about crime in New York City. During the last year of the Obama-Biden administration, 2016, there were 338 murders in New York City. In the last year of your administration, there were 471. That's almost a 50% increase in murders after four years of Donald Trump. After the 50% Trump increase, the numbers are now trending down again under four years of Joe Biden. What happened?" 

you are talking about bringing facts to people who long ago decided facts won't be considered. They will nod their heads YES to the bolded above and all the rest is background noise.

I get wanting to continue to correct the lies; backing it up with the actual facts, but i question it's effectiveness at this point. My cynicism has taken hold.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:29 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Was he through testifying?  ETA:  Ohhh, dummy.  I thought he was actually taking the stand in the case itself.

Also, I see that the ACLU has entered an apperance as amicus curiae on the DC gag order appeal.  Fascists.  https://www.npr.org/2023/10/25/1208409526/trump-gag-order-first-amendment

Trump is rarely called a liar to his face other than in the political arena, much less face immediate consequences.  Arthur Engoron is a national treasure.

The ACLU represented the KKK in a free speech case back in the day on principle. I think they're trying too hard on this one. The gag order that I read about was very limited. It said he could say whatever he wants about unfairness, political agendas, etc., including he could rip the judge himself, he just couldn't attack court personnel or witnesses. It really created a line that makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This. Everything they do is performative.
And it works.
And will work.

For some value of "work."

The judiciary is part of our system that's deliberately undemocratic. Under checks and balances, yes. But popular opinion ends where the courtroom begins.

Trump can perform all he wants to. If he tries to affect the outcome of the case with it, he'll defeat his own purposes; he'll get fined (at first) or thrown in jail (if he keeps up with it).

So yeah, it works in the sense that his base eats it up. And it worked for him during the impeachments, since Congress has to worry about the electorate. And intimidation worked great to force settlements in civil suits.

But here, in criminal cases, his best bet is to have great attorneys and a big ol helping of shut the fuck up, and he is empty on both accounts.

He. Is. Fucked.

And I can't fathom the amounts of deliberate ignorance required to not see this coming.

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

My cynicism has taken hold.

Of all of Trump's strengths, this is his strongest: His ability to turn cynicism into defeatism in his opponents.

It's why I never tire of pointing out that there's no good reason to believe that Trump will get away with it this time.

19 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I was talking to a family member this week and he mentioned his every day carry weapon (of course he's a Glock fanboi.)  He lives in Austin and while he says he's not a Trump fan he's a Trumptard.  I asked him if he thought he was living in fear about needing a gun on him at all times.  He's convinced that any day now, he'll need to get into an OK Corral type shootout with the bad men.   

He's a lost cause. 

Yeah, these people drive me crazy... sorry... especially in Austin which is a relatively safe city, particularly if you're not hanging out on 6th street past midnight or over by 183 on the north side of town.  I think you can make a case to some extent in Houston but the people who coooonstantly complain about how bad Austin is really need to just stay home, cower while ignoring the lawn or move out to Llano or somewhere deep in the hill country.  Enough whining from these people...

Stop It Joshua Jackson GIF by HULU

The New York fraud trial has already shown Trump's playbook on how he intends to spin his criminal trials to the public. Since the NY trial is also not televised, each day he and his henchmen lie and spin about what just took place, and that is the only version many members of the public will ever know. If the trial is televised, even Fox and Newsmax viewers will be exposed to the truth, rather than Donald Trump's warped version of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I keep hoping that all of this stress will give him a massive heart attack or stroke that leaves him paralyzed, but fully conscious, for at least 11 more years, so he can listen to all of his acolytes turn on him once they can no longer profit from being in his orbit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Seems problematic. 

People lie on the witness stand every day.  That's not something that leads directly to perjury.  It would be impossible to prove what he really meant and therefore that he was lying and committed perjury.

That's just one for the fact finder.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

People lie on the witness stand every day.  That's not something that leads directly to perjury.  It would be impossible to prove what he really meant and therefore that he was lying and committed perjury.

Yeah, nobody can conclusively prove he was referring to the clerk, absent (perhaps) incriminating prior communications that basically say "I am going to impugn the clerk under oath".  Not even Trump is stupid enough to leave that trail of crumbs.  (Nor do I know how it might ever be discovered.)

58 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Lol'd super hard at the last paragraph of that article:

If this trial is televised, and the American public can hear Trump's former political appointees testify in detail about his crimes in March and April, he will be sunk politically. If the trial is not televised, a large percentage of the public will only receive bits and pieces of it from mainstream media, which millions of Americans say they don't trust.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol'd super hard at the last paragraph of that article:

If this trial is televised, and the American public can hear Trump's former political appointees testify in detail about his crimes in March and April, he will be sunk politically. If the trial is not televised, a large percentage of the public will only receive bits and pieces of it from mainstream media, which millions of Americans say they don't trust.

The question I have is if it is televised will Fox and Newsmax televise it? I think the chances are better than we think simply because the ratings would be through the roof. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The question I have is if it is televised will Fox and Newsmax televise it? I think the chances are better than we think simply because the ratings would be through the roof. 

If they think that it's going to net hurt their ratings long term, I'd assume no. If Trump is a liar do these people deflate and stop watching news?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If they think that it's going to net hurt their ratings long term, I'd assume no. If Trump is a liar do these people deflate and stop watching news?

na...  They'll just boot up teaparty 2.0  They'll use some name from the Revolution to make it sound cool, edgy, and exclusively for white dudes.

I'm gonna recommend the LibertyBellends

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think for a second he would tell the truth.  He'll perjure himself all day long.  Why wouldn't he?  If he tells the truth, he's fucked anyway.

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

And this is why fines are useless.  HE DOESN'T PAY THEM.

It's it common to the point or routine that a law firm would deposit these funds on behalf of their client, for a number of reasons.

Of course, typically that firm would have received the money from its client before paying.

Yeah yeah Trump always stiffs his lawyers.

But this is another way in which the game has changed for Donald compared to his old ways of doing civil suits.  For one thing, he's paying lawyers with OPM.  But for a second, I think his past habits of stiffing law firms have caught up with him.

You know damn well sugarbaby Habba is getting paid.

• Like 1