45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

its outragous that we've waited THREE FUCKING YEARS to start shaking the tree on this. What the absolute fuck. I mean we all could plainly see it with our fucking eyes as it was happening, but to have receipts just brings that rage back

It just makes me so angry at Antifa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Oops. "You will go down in history as the man responsible for 1/6! Mr. January Sixth is what I bet they'll call you in the history books!" 

Oh, be wary, be wary!
The Sixth of January,
The Election treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Election treason
Should ever be forgot!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We're busy arguing whether the penalty should be clipping or unsportsmanlike conduct on the dude who just pulled a gun on the field and shot the opposing RB.  The system of rules and yellow flags and 15 yard penalties is not equipped to handle a LB who pulls a gun and shoots opposing players.  The only system that is equipped to handle that is a system of "meet lawlessness with lawlessness."

We obviously need good refs with guns.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Coincidence his dick is 1/6th of an inch?  Or are we still going with the "we're not living in a simulation, there's a God" thing still?  

If we are living in a simulation, wouldn’t there necessarily be a god- the developer?

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

its outragous that we've waited THREE FUCKING YEARS to start shaking the tree on this. What the absolute fuck. I mean we all could plainly see it with our fucking eyes as it was happening, but to have receipts just brings that rage back

“Maybe they were talking about a different election.”  - Magats

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we are living in a simulation, wouldn’t there necessarily be a god- the developer?

Well, of course.  We used to call it "Yahweh", but the fucking "Y" button on his keyboard keeps getting stuck.  

• Haha 1

https://www.wdsu.com/article/trump-cfo-allen-weisselberg-surrenders-on-criminal-charges/60075185

NEW YORK —

Allen Weisselberg, the former chief financial officer of Donald Trump's company, pleaded guilty Monday to lying under oath during his testimony in the ex-president's New York civil fraud case. His plea deal will send him back to jail but does not require that he testify at Trump's hush-money criminal trial.

“ That poor Mr. Trump did not know he had a dishonest accountant.” - Trump fans, probably.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

WTF?

What kind of prosecutor offers a deal with no return?

I would argue there is a built-in return. He has little use as a witness because he is a perjuror and a criminal.   OTOH, anything he said previously - or any witness in Trump‘s defense who mentions Weisellberg’s favorable to Trump testimony - gets to be crossed on his perjury guilty plea. 

I could be wrong, but I personally think his worth as a witness in front of a jury is pretty damn low right now.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Elon was in Trump's neck of the woods this weekend.  I still think he's the one that will put up the money.

If he thinks Trump has any real chance he will definitely be that guy.  Then Trump will pay him back in spades if he's elected.  The dumbest timeline keeps humming along...

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here we go, one of my favorite rabbit holes to go down on podcasts.  Now there's plenty of big brained people out there believing the big bang was one of many big bangs and there's multiverse/hologram theories etc.  I kind of agree that something had to start this because what is 'nothing'?  What started even the first big bang?  If this is a sim and/or if there's some all powerful being we are likely uber fucked...why would that being care about us, other than just being entertained.  I'll stop now...Sorry, got me started on this path and I can type out long cat responses like YGIFS all night long. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

56 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I would argue there is a built-in return. He has little use as a witness because he is a perjuror and a criminal.   OTOH, anything he said previously - or any witness in Trump‘s defense who mentions Weisellberg’s favorable to Trump testimony - gets to be crossed on his perjury guilty plea. 

I could be wrong, but I personally think his worth as a witness in front of a jury is pretty damn low right now.

Will take your word for it.  

One thing the last 8 years have confirmed for me is I’m glad I never seriously considered law school.

number one, my grades wouldn’t have put me anywhere desirable.

numero two, the bullshit factor is overwhelming.  I’d have been imprisoned years ago for beating up opposing counsel.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

But you see, in the Latin alphabet, Jehovah begins with an I.

dammit, we named the dog with an "I" as in "Indiana!"  

This hits close to home as I was recanting a story about meeting Cartaphilus once in Toledo, Spain.  My family and wife's family don't believe it, but they totally believe that he struck Jesus and has been condemned to walk the Earth forever.  

What cracks me up lately is that God passed on the rapture/second coming during world wars, genocides, famines, plagues, floods, hurricanes, and nuclear destruction.  But he's totally sending his boy back to save some shitheads in a country he never memtioned in the name of the worst fucking piece of shit who'll probably outlive Cartaphilus in Donald Trump.  

Guy hasn't talke to us in 2000 years but yeah, this 400 pound fucking failure is totally is his messenger.  Than again, this fucking simulation/timeline, who the fuck knows?  

On the one hand, we could not be more alone than we are right now in this situation.  On the other hand, we are more connected to something we cannot see than we ever dreamed.  All I know is my love for my girls is in my bones.  Whatever made us, it made me capable of love and connection I could not possibly have conceived of even after this encounter I mention in Toledo, Spain 25+ years ago.  And their lives could be very well have vast misery visited upon them by a gameshow host.  Politics and Religion aside, somebody is fucking with us...

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We're busy arguing whether the penalty should be clipping or unsportsmanlike conduct on the dude who just pulled a gun on the field and shot the opposing RB.  The system of rules and yellow flags and 15 yard penalties is not equipped to handle a LB who pulls a gun and shoots opposing players.  

Ain't life a bitch.

IMG_0059.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Fucking Garland, man. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

dammit, we named the dog with an "I" as in "Indiana!"  

This hits close to home as I was recanting a story about meeting Cartaphilus once in Toledo, Spain.  My family and wife's family don't believe it, but they totally believe that he struck Jesus and has been condemned to walk the Earth forever.  

What cracks me up lately is that God passed on the rapture/second coming during world wars, genocides, famines, plagues, floods, hurricanes, and nuclear destruction.  But he's totally sending his boy back to save some shitheads in a country he never memtioned in the name of the worst fucking piece of shit who'll probably outlive Cartaphilus in Donald Trump.  

Guy hasn't talke to us in 2000 years but yeah, this 400 pound fucking failure is totally is his messenger.  Than again, this fucking simulation/timeline, who the fuck knows?  

On the one hand, we could not be more alone than we are right now in this situation.  On the other hand, we are more connected to something we cannot see than we ever dreamed.  All I know is my love for my girls is in my bones.  Whatever made us, it made me capable of love and connection I could not possibly have conceived of even after this encounter I mention in Toledo, Spain 25+ years ago.  And their lives could be very well have vast misery visited upon them by a gameshow host.  Politics and Religion aside, somebody is fucking with us...

My good Sir, the Lord God chats all the time in the attic of the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City.   We are not talking about “feeling” what God wants, we are talking about the 12 Elders actually hearing God talk to them.

He talks about religion, a little prophecy, and how much He hates the NIL.    He says that giving BYU that bullshit national championship tested all of His powers, but He still has enough gas in the tank to make sure the Aggies never win anything. 

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Also for a bit of perspective, most plea bargains involve no cooperation at all, other than the defendant cooperating by pleading guilty. 

You raise a good point that his credibility is now complete shit. 

And it appears he wasn't on Braggs witness list. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

One thing the last 8 years have confirmed for me is I’m glad I never seriously considered law school.

numero two, the bullshit factor is overwhelming.  I’d have been imprisoned years ago for beating up opposing counsel.

I’m wrapping up school in May. 

Your numero two is why I will not be practicing. It is absolutely not what I thought it would be. 

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

I’m wrapping up school in May. 

Your numero two is why I will not be practicing. It is absolutely not what I thought it would be. 

I know a guy that went to Northwestern for Law School, top his class, the whole nine yards, great academic, pick of the litter for jobs, got a great one.  One of his first cases was an arbitration between a chicken distribution company and a smallish but successful family run chicken restaurant chain.  The parties had to be kept separate during the arbitration over a price rise, after the initial offer to the chain, the son looked at the father and said, "Daddy, you want me to go in there and whip all their asses?".  

Like most things, it's likely not what you imagined.  

• Drool 1

59 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Daddy, you want me to go in there and whip all their asses?".  

image.png.31c197dc20a1fc6c480a55b9ab8daf96.png

Doing bidness in the South seems like the most fucked up endeavor.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

"After the trophy presentation, we're going to be taking a long hard look at what happened on the sidelines and on the field the last three seasons. Ideally, we will have a punishment to dole out approximately four years from now."

Fixed it for the NCAA this year 

There is no absolute safe haven from litigation bullshit, but the appellate side of the coin comes as close as anything.  If I hadn't landed in that area, I'd have burned out on commercial litigation a long time ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, jw4381 said:

The simulation: “Hey, let’s give this guy the surname ‘Cheesy brother!’ Oh, wait, too much? Yeah let’s dial that back a bit”

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

You might be underthinking it. As a trial attorney, there are always a few things that the opposing counsel will go after if they apply to my witness:

1) Is witness being paid by the defense?

2) Does the witness have a prior crime of moral turpitude on their record?

3) Has the witness been caught lying on the stand? 

Of all 3, the last one is by far the worst. And usually that takes the form of showing, via circumstantial evidence, that something the witness said is untrue. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a witness take the stand with an actual conviction for perjury on their record.

If you were a juror, why would you trust a single word that comes out of the mouth of someone who will have to admit that on a prior occasion, after taking an oath (exactly like the oath he just took in front of you), he intentionally lied on the stand? In fact, as a juror, you will be instructed by the judge that due to the witness's prior lies, you are free to disregard every single word that comes out of the their mouth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I know a guy that went to Northwestern for Law School, top his class, the whole nine yards, great academic, pick of the litter for jobs, got a great one.  One of his first cases was an arbitration between a chicken distribution company and a smallish but successful family run chicken restaurant chain.  The parties had to be kept separate during the arbitration over a price rise, after the initial offer to the chain, the son looked at the father and said, "Daddy, you want me to go in there and whip all their asses?".  

Like most things, it's likely not what you imagined.  

I’ve done most of my intern/extern/ALI work through the university indigent civil clinic, in Oklahoma, which might explain my distaste for working the profession. 

It is incredibly difficult to watch everyday folks get hammered by the process itself. Add in the typical array of attorney tricks (evidence dumping the day before the hearing in my case) and judges who arbitrarily ignore legitimate warning signs of violence, it has become one of the most fucked up experiences of my life. Caseloads are so large, and without any really money behind you, most of the attorneys have just accepted the losses and move on to try and win the next.

There’s a helplessness to it that drives me mad. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Supreme Court, Congress, etc. are all going to abdicate responsibility and kick the can down the road to leave it up to the American people to ultimately decide if the US will collapse under authoritarian rule. Vote red for fascism. Vote blue for democracy. 

It was always going to be this way and it will come to a head in November and the months after. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dcbc said:

There is no absolute safe haven from litigation bullshit, but the appellate side of the coin comes as close as anything.  If I hadn't landed in that area, I'd have burned out on commercial litigation a long time ago.

Yeah, when I started patent litigation, it was mostly pretty straightforward with a relatively small bar of former engineers that didn't believe in bullshit games and all mostly knew each other. 

About 20 years ago, as biglaw got more and more into it, it got worse and worse. I don't do it anymore except from a comfortable sideline seat. 

• Rage+1 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:23 AM, dcbc said:

pos repped from my wife, who agrees 1000%. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

huh my wife is about to leave commercial litigation as well, she's burnt out after 4 years of it and dealing with clown fiesta courts and disorganized clerks

39 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

It's nice having a fixed record that doesn't change and an office phone that doesn't ring.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

According to her, its also nice not having to depose witnesses. 

No discovery and (for me), no opposing counsel or clients. 

Happiest damned lawyer in the room, I am.

Edited by dcbc

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

No discovery and (for me), no opposing counsel or clients. 

Happiest damned lawyer in the room, I am.

I hate paper discovery (other than production) far worse than depositions.  I actually rather like depositions.  You can practice listening to answers and going where it takes you in a relatively safe environment.

• Hook 'Em 1