2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is the first time in well over a decade that the thought of losing someone like Neto or Agbo wouldn't cause our OL to completely collapse.

It is interesting that we have basically abandoned the 6 OL package with Agbo. 6 snaps against KSU, 6 against TCU, 0 against ISU and I don't think he played last week.

He's obviously only a RS freshman but he wasn't doing anything special when he was in there imo.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It is interesting that we have basically abandoned the 6 OL package with Agbo. 6 snaps against KSU, 6 against TCU, 0 against ISU and I don't think he played last week.

He's obviously only a RS freshman but he wasn't doing anything special when he was in there imo.

where are you pulling the snap count #s?

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard rumor(I made this up) that next year we may use Conner in that role and have Neto at LG. 

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

OL will have to see some attrition

image.png.52a8c71554a483be8a401f5a03c9195e.png

have to imagine some of the RS FR class leaves just because they are going to get recruited over. Neto has been long talked about as a guy who was interested in moving, wonder if his brother staying changes anything? or if he can actually compete w/ Conner next year?

i can't see a world where Texas keeps ALL the tackles (Goosby/Chatman/Cojoe) especially if Baker comes in and does anything. same for Robertson if Cruz comes in and kicks ass.

this is the first time in well over a decade that the thought of losing someone like Neto or Agbo wouldn't cause our OL to completely collapse.

For the December window:

Goosby, Chatman, and Cojoe are true freshmen that will be in the two deep as RS FR with at least one but possibly both tackles departing in time for their third seasons. They also weren't five star types that schools will be aggressively poaching, so I'm not sure I see any of them leaving. 

Hutson and Robertson strike me as the type that like the university and will get their degrees before a hypothetical transfer (like Hudson Card). On top of the fact that both have legitimate paths to playing time.

Agbo is a guy that was close to portaling out last year and I've already heard he might this year despite his role as the jumbo TE. PK and Neto are probably the other flight risks by my estimation because who really knows what's going on with them.

That could all change in the spring window depending on how the depth chart goes, but I'm not too worried about the OL in December.  I guess Majors would be another thing that could change the calculus for Hutson and Robertson. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think Guilbeau/Roberson end up being our stars

McDonald, Filsaim, JJR, Taaffe, Catalon, Williams at safety
At corner we have Holmes, Muhammed, Brooks, Black's, and another freshmen

Add in a certain 5 star recruits brother at corner and I personally feel our secondary will be alright. We're stacked at corner and safety should be young but better and more athletic than this year. 
I really hope Taafe isn't playing so Gideon can relive his glory days vicariously. Sark and PK wouldn't allow that if there were truly better choices, right? Who knows man...but I can't bag on Taafe too much because he is by far not the worst safety we've had in the past decade or so.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. The path is pretty clear for him unless Brandon Baker comes in and blows expectations out of the water.

The bug put in his ear is allegedly that Baker was guaranteed the starting RT spot, which we all know is bullshit. 

I referenced OL simply because guys coming here off of the Pancake Factory concept aren't all in line for big NIL going forward. Starters and stars, yes, but developmental guys, no. They need to "develop". We'll see how the staff wants to handle things over the next few weeks/months.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, and @immamac can confirm or counter this if he's heard anything, but it sounds like JBrooks is heading to the NFL.

Good. Depending on what happens with Gibson, we'll have 3, Choice developed draft picks to sell. Color me surprised if Berry actually ends up at LSU

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Just what is it about these two that makes you feel that way?

Heh, this might be a jab that I'm katfid'ing, but they grew up Texas fans and they both have played. Plus Robertson is part of the Westlake contingent.  

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Another familiar name:

https://www.on3.com/db/ej-ndoma-ogar-40832/

Also @PittsburghTiger found this fun site that makes searching for Portal entrants much easier

https://theportalreport.com/cfb-transfer-portal/

Thanks for putting it is the correct place. That other thread can be deleted by whomever has that power.

EDIT: or not deleted.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Another familiar name:

https://www.on3.com/db/ej-ndoma-ogar-40832/

Also @PittsburghTiger found this fun site that makes searching for Portal entrants much easier

https://theportalreport.com/cfb-transfer-portal/

Man, it looks like 3/4 of the portal players are QBs.  Will that change over the next few days?

EDIT - looking at the full list, that's not true.  I guess the QBs are the ones the media focuses on

Edited by Liquor and Poker

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think these are guys we could lose:

BJ Allen
Casey Cain
Isaiah Neyor
Larry Turner-Gooden
X'Avion Brice
Charles Wright
Sawyer Goram-Welch
Payton Kirkland - Although he has a significant knee injury that will likely hold him out next year as well.
Juan Davis
Zac Swanson
Maybe another 2023/2022 OL that was in backup role not named Neto.

His name gets brought up every year and until he graduates Charles Wright isn't going anywhere. His folks are grads, he stands to gain a lot more by having a UT degree than going to some shitty directional school to play. He is happiest human on planet.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

His name gets brought up every year and until he graduates Charles Wright isn't going anywhere. His folks are grads, he stands to gain a lot more by having a UT degree than going to some shitty directional school to play. He is happiest human on planet.

someone said he was the 2nd least likely dude to leave the team behind Max Merril

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The bug put in his ear is allegedly that Baker was guaranteed the starting RT spot, which we all know is bullshit. 

I referenced OL simply because guys coming here off of the Pancake Factory concept aren't all in line for big NIL going forward. Starters and stars, yes, but developmental guys, no. They need to "develop". We'll see how the staff wants to handle things over the next few weeks/months.

I never understood if or how everyday fans  could contribute toward the pancake factory. It sounded like a great idea when it came out, but I never figured out how to contribute to it. I sent an email to the contact address provided, but I got no response. I’d rather put money toward that position group than any other. Tight ends are great and all, but they aren’t much good to me if my QB is dead. I doubt I’m alone in this philosophy. I would donate to both. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

someone said he was the 2nd least likely dude to leave the team behind Max Merril

I know folks want the roster spot opened up but the moment Herman offered him once all the other QBs bounced, Texas got a QB for life.

He's a good kid, who plays a role on team and is a great UT ambassador.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I never understood if or how everyday fans  could contribute toward the pancake factory. It sounded like a great idea when it came out, but I never figured out how to contribute to it. I sent an email to the contact address provided, but I got no response. I’d rather put money toward that position group than any other. Tight ends are great and all, but they aren’t much good to me if my QB is dead. I doubt I’m alone in this philosophy. I would donate to both. 

My understanding is that pancake factory was a one year thing and funded by a single person or small group. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If you are giving to Texas One Fund for football, you are doing your part for what the PF has become. Without getting into details for hopefully obvious reasons, guaranteeing payouts to unproven backups who may never contribute except on extra points isn't a great strategy. It served its purpose, but it was a one year initiative. I'll argue that most college staffs have discovered that ensuring that all 85 players are getting NIL isn't the most productive outcome for roster management. 

Makes sense. I’ll continue my TOF contributions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Everyone thought our DL was gonna suck this year and it was the strength of the team. I ain't worried about DL unless Bo Davis gets in the motherfucker

Valid points. I don't feel that DL will be a team weakness next year because of Bo Davis. But I also think it's fair to be somewhat concerned that we will have difficulty replacing the production of the guys that are leaving. Perhaps we'll be surprised two years in a row. But hope isn't a strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is the correct answer.  Grad transfer is why he won't have to sit out a year.

They also changed it so that grad transfers are exempt from the portal windows

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/9/21/media-center-di-council-modifies-transfer-rules-for-postgraduate-students.aspx

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.