2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

47 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

No way he comes back.

The way we spread the ball around, his stats are unlikely to be massively bigger and his measurables are his measurables. Test well and he can be a first rounder. 4 WR were picked in 1st round last year. A few other good ones are not a deterrent and he's never getting to top 10 pick status like Harrison or Julio Jones or whoever with another season.

what? i agree he very likely does not come back BUT if he does, his stats are absolutely likely improve next year.

Texas loses about 60% of their catches from this year in Worthy, Sanders, Whittington, Brooks. Even if they only lost Worthy and Brooks, that's still 33% of their catches. i would prefer to use targets, but don't have those at hand.

idk what happens to him but to look at the results this year, who Texas is bringing back - and i assume he only comes back if Ewers comes back, and the offense he should absolutely have better #s next year just from being the pretty clear cut #1 alone. he's had 3 or fewer catches in 10 games this year. he's had over 100 yards in every game he's had more than 3 catches.

this is just him covering his NIL bases if he hears back that he is likely to go in the 2nd or 3rd vs the 1st and preparing folks for the chance it happens

e: just happened across Nash's post that includes target counts for some players, but not all of em. either way, losing 222 targets between Worthy/JTS/Whitt is huge

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

It has to be that DT from Houston 

Jamaree Caldwell.  It was reported that he was offered 500k from a Big10 school to transfer.  No rumors of him entering his name into the portal as of yet - apparently he is very close to the Houston DL coach Brian Early and there is a belief that he is going to wait and see what happens there.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Another familiar name

Okay, I respect a guy who cares enough about school to play major college football, have a 3.76 GPA, and put it in his transfer announcement (further proof it matters to him). Don't really care what his major is at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That counts all divisions. I don’t really care what’s going on below fbs, do you?  It’s pretty irrelevant to us. 

I think that number includes walk-ons too.

I know when the portal first started, reporters kept throwing out the total number to shock people without adding the context that a big chunk of the kids in it were just walk-ons looking for a scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Tough, physical and one of the biggest hitters in the country. Doesn’t have great length but makes up for it with quickness and instincts. Plays angry and brings a ton of energy and passion to the field that is contagious for his teammates. Can run sideline to sideline, is a sure tackler and plays with a serious to his game. Very good closing speed, has improved as a pass rusher and can cover backs and tight ends as well. Has battled some back injuries that hurt his development so his game should take a big leap when he can devote a full off-season to strength and conditioning. Projects as a impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid round NFL draft pick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

Not going to take much from this, just like Nolen. But something to keep in mind.

If we were to actually land one of A&Ms DL transfers, that place would go apocalyptic. What if we scored the game winning touchdown at Kyle Field on a long pass to Evan Stewart, while Walter Nolan sealed the game with a sack on 4th down? 

giphy.gif

Edited by Vertigo

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Tough, physical and one of the biggest hitters in the country. Doesn’t have great length but makes up for it with quickness and instincts. Plays angry and brings a ton of energy and passion to the field that is contagious for his teammates. Can run sideline to sideline, is a sure tackler and plays with a serious to his game. Very good closing speed, has improved as a pass rusher and can cover backs and tight ends as well. Has battled some back injuries that hurt his development so his game should take a big leap when he can devote a full off-season to strength and conditioning. Projects as a impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid round NFL draft pick.

How badly do we think Texas needs a LB heading into next year? Seems like a little bit of a luxury, but with McDonald sticking at S, maybe it is more of a need. This dude seems like he'd be a good one. That said, the leading tackler for Oregon State last year wound up starting for LSU in 2023 and, well, I don't know how much he helped things there. Speights, I think. Can't remember though, they had a few transfers contributing to that shitshow this year.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If we were to actually land one of A&Ms DL transfers, that place would go apocalyptic. What if we scored the game winning touchdown at Kyle Field on a long pass to Evan Stewart, while Walter Nolan sealed the game with a sack on 4th down? 

giphy.gif

Just remember that any transferee with a good agent/handler is going to tell people that Texas is talking to him. I would be really surprised if Texas was interested, at all, in Overton. I know they talked to Nolan, but I'm skeptical of that one too.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

giphy.gif

Nah.  Game sealing pass to Walter Nolan on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

If Ryan Watts would've wrapped up Bryce Young in '22,  If the incompetent refs would have called the obvious hold on Bama's RT against Ovie Oghoufo on the play where Bryce Young broke Ryan Watts' tackle attempt, Casey Cain's catch to set up the game winning field goal would be considered an all-timer... Game of inches... Best of luck to him!

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Damn. That’s got to be sobering if you’re a Florida fan. 

I think you have to stop drinking heavily to sober up. 

(Hell, I guess the entire state of Florida is bummed there’s days. FSU, no explanation needed. Florida sucks, Miami is decades into its underachieving phase [ok, maybe Schnellenberger/Jimmy/Erickson/Butch/Coker era was the anomaly], UCF shit it’s pants in the Big 12 and one school even has Tom Herman as its coach.)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I have an idea for taking the aggy transfers and making it work. Hear me out: we take these underachieving athletes out to a small, isolated town…. Let’s say Junction, TX. Then we work them out repeatedly in the summer heat and whip them into shape. We can call them the Junction Boys. After that, we can talk about it incessantly for the next 100 years.

lol had an aggy buddy tell me this exact same thing damn near verbatim but he was dead fucking serious and couldnt understand why I was laughing

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I think you have to stop drinking heavily to sober up. 

(Hell, I guess the entire state of Florida is bummed there’s days. FSU, no explanation needed. Florida sucks, Miami is decades into its underachieving phase [ok, maybe Schnellenberger/Jimmy/Erickson/Butch/Coker era was the anomaly], UCF shit it’s pants in the Big 12 and one school even has Tom Herman as its coach.)

It was a few years ago that every FBS school in Florida had a losing season I believe, or at least didn’t make a bowl game. Goes to show that being in a talent rich state isn’t enough.

27 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Nah.  Game sealing pass to Walter Nolan on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. 

Nope. More like both rode the pine all game because they weren't good enough to crack our depth chart, and only came in during garbage time when we were up by 50. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

How badly do we think Texas needs a LB heading into next year?

I don't know what we have on the sidelines, but obviously you don't want to see a drop-off in production when a player leaves. Right now, it seems like a problem area that at the very least needs quality depth.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.