2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

35 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I said it earlier. I believe Arch would be better equipped to back up and give us a chance to win. 

I don't know if Sark believes that. And while I support Maalik and hope he does well I can never support quitting on a team playing for a championship. That's the reason you play the game in the first place. I personally wouldn't want to take a player who had a chance to win a title and quit on the playoffs.

Also, like I said, he's a QB with a big arm. He's getting a spot in the P5. He should have had his people gathering info for him and putting the world out to coaches so he could have a spot agreed upon now and officially enter the portal the day after Texas' last game. The portal window extends a few days past the season end for playoff teams. 

I'm sorry, but I can never condone quitting in the playoffs as the backup QB. Only way it makes sense is if Sark demoted him behind Arch for the playoffs and told him to go. Which might have happened. 

He isn't quitting on the team, the current calendar penalizes players on playoff teams who may want to transfer. It is a no win situation for him. He either waits until January and possibly loses most of the best landing spots due to coaches not willing to wait (I wouldn't), or he leaves before the playoff game. I don't blame him for leaving now, and Arch seems like he is coming along to a point of being a quality backup option.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I understand, but if he’s not on that field, he could potentially regret it his entire life.

Congrats, you've finally realized that for the vast majority of players, the priority is making it to the NFL over winning a title.

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

So, there's a guy (isn't there always?) - on 247;  no idea if he has any credibility or real info - who's dropping hints that the mystery visitor (transfer guy) is London Humphreys.  He's a subscriber, not a member of the staff.

In deference to the thread title - 

image.thumb.png.07a8155150e9eb171483b081dc6b5bb1.png

Again, no idea if he's just bsing or what ... 

There's your AD Mitchell replacement.  Fantastic looking athlete.  He's a big framed deep threat with good top end speed.  He'd kill it in a good offense.  If Quinn comes back, this is an easy sell after Mitchell's big year. 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I'm sorry, but I can never condone quitting in the playoffs as the backup QB. Only way it makes sense is if Sark demoted him behind Arch for the playoffs and told him to go. Which might have happened. 

Just curious? Did ROJO, DMO and Bijan "quit" on the team last year? Or did they do what's best for them and their future? It was a loss and most people believe Texas would have won had they not sat out.

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Just curious? Did ROJO, DMO and Bijan "quit" on the team last year? Or did they do what's best for them and their future? It was a loss and most people believe Texas would have won had they not sat out.

Yes

• Hook 'Em 1

He plays a priority position that is already saturated in the market that has limited spots available. It will only have more entrants as bowl games end. It is in his best interest to enter the portal now even with a 5 day window for playoff teams existing so that he can get his official interest from perspective teams and to take visits. Good luck to him and his future and there is no reason to shit on him for making this decision. Hell there isn't really even much room to debate this. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He isn't quitting on the team, the current calendar penalizes players on playoff teams who may want to transfer. It is a no win situation for him. He either waits until January and possibly loses most of the best landing spots due to coaches not willing to wait (I wouldn't), or he leaves before the playoff game. I don't blame him for leaving now, and Arch seems like he is coming along to a point of being a quality backup option.

That changes next year with an expanded playoff, correct?

5 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

That changes next year with an expanded playoff, correct?

Nope, but it's a new day in college football.  The allegiance today is to the individual, not the team. 

So, we can either get used to it or find something else to do on Saturdays in the fall.  

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but surely you can see the difference between the Alamo Bowl and a playoff semifinal. 

38 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Nope, but it's a new day in college football.  The allegiance today is to the individual, not the team. 

So, we can either get used to it or find something else to do on Saturdays in the fall.  

That good ole days thinking, it's always been allegiance to the individual, there just weren't options like there are today. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but surely you can see the difference between the Alamo Bowl and a playoff semifinal. 

Duh, my point is MM is doin what is best for him. He should. If all goes well he would only see time on the field in a blowout or injury. He was always leaving. People should stop making a big deal out of it. He isn't quitting on his team. He is going to HIS new one. One that he will most likely be a leader of.

So if QE has a great playoff and decides to go to the league, do we try to bring in a grad transfer type that wants to play school to back up Arch? Does such a guy even exist? As has been pointed out, the timing on that would be pretty bad for us. Do the coaches feel that Wright could play meaningful snaps for us if necessary?

Just now, BayouBill said:

Maybe already addressed or I missed it, but has any Duke player followed elko to aggy? I feel like you usually see a handful of transfers who follow the coach to his new school.

Uh, clearly Duke-level players are beneath aggy, ya dumb sip. They’re landing big fish from *checks notes* Old Dominion. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby says they're on the look out for a Holden Staes visit shortly after his OU visit.

New name to look for is Brandon Johnson out of Duke. 

https://247sports.com/player/brandon-johnson-46086637/

Staes would definitely be a top transfer prospect - though I don't think Bobby would be reporting it if Texas wanted to keep it a secret.  Would be a good get if that is who Texas is prioritizing.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He played nickel at Duke.

Screenshot_20231214-085251_kindlephoto-6373888.thumb.png.7041c2ba35496b9854b609b88f4b25cc.png

2023: Returning starter at nickel ... preseason All-ACC selection by Pro Football Focus (1st team), Athlon Sports (2nd team) and Phil Steele’s College Football Preview (3rd team) ... in 25 career games (14 starts), has recorded 72 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, two INTs, seven PBUs, two caused fumbles, three fumble recoveries, and four QB pressures ... garnered 2+ tackles on 18 different occasions, including a career-best nine at Miami in 2022 ... has two career INTs against Northwestern and Miami in 2022, as well as a 29-yard INT return for a TD against the Hurricanes ... posted a career-best 2.0 TFL on three occasions against North Carolina A&T (2022), Miami (2022) and Virginia Tech (2022) ... carded a career-high 2.0 sacks against Miami (2022) and Virginia Tech (2022) ... earned a career-best two QB pressures at Boston College in 2022 ... tallied caused fumbles against North Carolina A&T (2022) and UCF (2022) and fumble recoveries versus Northwestern (2022) and Miami (2022) ... has played 1,231 career snaps.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Staes would definitely be a top transfer prospect - though I don't think Bobby would be reporting it if Texas wanted to keep it a secret.  Would be a good get if that is who Texas is prioritizing.

Per Bobby again....

Mukuba expected on campus today and it's possible Holden Staes is on campus today.

Just providing this as more of a clarification.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

But I'm not "betting"

Read up on how Sark handles portal. 

I don't need concrete to state what everyone here already knows. 

If Maalik entered the portal, it is because his time is done.  

If you want to keep losing this argument, I'm here all night. 

Edit: 

Ok second thought, I'm going to bed.

Come up with the best you can while I sleep.

Happy New Year's.

you know fuck-all about what murphy was told.  this is a very odd hill to be dying on. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.