2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I was too young for 1978-80 Oilers and 1981 Rockets but thank god the Rockets came along in 1994 & 1995 because Oilers 1991-93 was the fucking worst shit ever.

I did yell out "I am not a curse" from the 3rd base line at Rosenblatt after Oniveros fielded the final out in the 2002 College World Series as the dogpile was going on.  We then proceeded to party with the Street family at Starsky's immediately after the game with a celebratory meal of steak the Drover (72nd & Mercy).

Texas needs to figure shit out fast because we're 18 years and counting since baseball & football and infinity years and counting in basketball and IDGAF about the rest 😉

It's funny you fail to mention the '82-'83 Oilers, led by one Archie Manning at the helm.

image.png.f5cb65b5eff00f619ca822458b26a5e6.png

Also funny in this picture is how Archie's about to bail from the pocket because of pressure from a former Texas Longhorns 2-time All-American Kenneth Sims.  

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 10:26 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

Jan 4th 1992 -  Broncos down 21-6

Jan 3th  1993 - Buffalo

Jan 15th 1994  -  Chiefs

This run killed me (plus some Astros pain - specifically '86 and '98)

It wasn't until Jan 4th 2006 that I even considered that maybe i wasn't cursed. 

Oh yeah, that stretch was absolutely brutal, repeatedly blowing big leads.  I’m often thinking while watching times like this year’s Detroit Lions playoff run when statements are made like “The last time The Lions were in the NFC championship game was way back in 1992……” that I’ve NEVER seen a Houston pro football championship game since I was only 3 years old the last time one made it that far.  The list of current pro football cities never to play in a Super Bowl: Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, & Jacksonville.  And all of those cities have played in multiple conference championship games since the last time a Houston pro football team made it that far

12 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

It's funny you fail to mention the '82-'83 Oilers, led by one Archie Manning at the helm.

Also funny in this picture is how Archie's about to bail from the pocket because of pressure from a former Texas Longhorns 2-time All-American Kenneth Sims.  

It’s an absolute crime that these two uniforms are rarely seen, and ever went away. I’ll add the older Seahawks and broncos too before they went to darker colors. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s an absolute crime that these two uniforms are rarely seen, and ever went away. I’ll add the older Seahawks and broncos too before they went to darker colors. 

Old school Patriots for me. Tri-corner hat-wearing Minuteman hiking the football out front should have told you.

Bailey Zappe 091423.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8

Yea they’re going to be salty next year
If Joey can mesh all those mercenaries into a coordinated combat unit, yeah. Remains to be seen if a mostly all portal team can have real success. Coach Primes buffs were damn near 100% portal and they faded away less than halfway through the season.

38 minutes ago, ousux said:
21 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:
Yea they’re going to be salty next year

If Joey can mesh all those mercenaries into a coordinated combat unit, yeah. Remains to be seen if a mostly all portal team can have real success. Coach Primes buffs were damn near 100% portal and they faded away less than halfway through the season.

Yeah but they also sucked- it wasn’t because of the portal. 

Could be a little good news for Texas fans and bad news for Michigan fans. Mason Graham is staying at Michigan. Kenny Grant is still "fielding offers" Michigan needs to do whatever they can to bring him back. They created the one more year fund last year and kept the O-line in tact which they absolutely needed this year. This season they need to do it to keep their defense here. They lose a few players but should return a top 1-2 defense again next year. KG is a key cog in that working. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

Earl, Larry Csonka, and Alan Page (#88 Vikings - later became a Minnesota state Supreme Court judge) -- all really Badass Mofos.

I didn’t know that about Alan Page. Where did he grow up/ go to school?

5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

From Canton, Ohio, went to a catholic prep school there, then neuter-dumb for a BA and the '66 MNC.

Then he got his JD at U of Minnesota law school and worked as an attorney in the offseasons -- all during his NFL playing career for the Vikes.

I watched Page play on TV in the mud and snow of the old outdoor Metropolitan Stadium that they played in back then--- Chuck Foreman (#44), Fran Tarkenton (#10), and one Bobby Moore (#28 - later changed his name to Ahmad Rashad) were some of his teammates.

Page went to law school at UT for a year when I was in school, sometime in the 1973-75 period.  I knew he graduated elsewhere, but it got some publicity at the time.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/3/2024 at 1:56 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Old school Patriots for me. Tri-corner hat-wearing Minuteman hiking the football out front should have told you.

Bailey Zappe 091423.jpg

Man, should of shown a picture of Brady or Gronk with that uni on, but agree that it's my favorite throwback by a large mile, second is my Bucs cremesicle 

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

247Sports had an article on the 15 fastest players in college football, for the 24 season.

#3 ... 

image.thumb.png.3792b9a5eaca5a8ba21494d3d74b5567.png

image.thumb.png.84cd4ac81314b918746574dca2948a5a.png

And for good measure, we have a second guy on the list - one of the few schools to have more than one on it.

image.thumb.png.660939c3de301b5f6f90e714c0fe59f1.png

image.thumb.png.d269c7968e4c8fd7df2915876f660358.png

Screenshot_20240206_095725_Chrome.jpg.c90ea528f967ceb558b04415f8e586d8.jpg

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

247Sports had an article on the 15 fastest players in college football, for the 24 season.

#3 ... 

image.thumb.png.3792b9a5eaca5a8ba21494d3d74b5567.png

image.thumb.png.84cd4ac81314b918746574dca2948a5a.png

And for good measure, we have a second guy on the list - one of the few schools to have more than one on it.

image.thumb.png.660939c3de301b5f6f90e714c0fe59f1.png

image.thumb.png.d269c7968e4c8fd7df2915876f660358.png

I know we have Cedric Baxter and two highly-rated freshman RBs who just enrolled. But I think we need to find ways to get Blue as many touches as possible. From what I read about him in high school and his flirtations with the transfer portal, I thought there was a chance he’d be long gone by now. But he seems to have put it together and could be one of our best players on offense.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 2/3/2024 at 12:06 AM, BachelorTrek said:

My favorite game featuring those uniforms...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know we have Cedric Baxter and two highly-rated freshman RBs who just enrolled. But I think we need to find ways to get Blue as many touches as possible. From what I read about him in high school and his flirtations with the transfer portal, I thought there was a chance he’d be long gone by now. But he seems to have put it together and could be one of our best players on offense.

It is a fairly meaningless distinction at this point but I'd argue Blue is RB1 going into Spring. He simply looked consistently better and more productive than Baxter when getting the ball. He didn't even seem appreciably worse at making it through contact than Baxter. It really doesn't matter though because both will feast if they stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I won't quibble with who should be RB1 or RB2 since we know they'll both play a ton. That said, I think Baxter gets shortshrifted by Texas fans. He was a true freshman and had to learn a ton on the fly. Not talking schematically, although that is true as well. I'm talking about the difference between being hurt and injured, knowing when to make one cut and get upfield, ball control under duress, etc. I will be kind of stunned if we don't witness a significant jump between Y1 and Y2.

And a full year in a college S&C program.

• Hook 'Em 6

The discussion of Blue versus Baxter (who are incredibly complementary) just underscores what an embarrassment of riches that Sark has stockpiled at every offensive skill position. We are legitimately 2-deep at QB, 2-deep at TE, 4-deep at WR and balls-deep at RB with extremely qualified starters. That is recruiting and NIL, certainly. But it also speaks to the allure of Sarkisian's offense, and this effect should only build upon itself given the talent on display this upcoming season. It is hard not to get drunk on the Kool-Aid.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.