Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

13 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

My dog purposely seeks out the sun in the yard and ignores the shade. I don't know if he was a Bedouin in a former life or if he's just a masochist. 

image.thumb.png.5386347ab8c70e0157f264db71eb29b7.png

My dog, who strangely looks exactly like your dog, does the exact same thing.  Runs out to the sunny part of the dead grass. Rolls around in it for 10 minutes, absolutely destroying any hope that the grass in that area may survive if we can get just a little rain at some point, and then wants to come in with dust and grass practically embedded in her fur.  

Had to be in the Zilker area last night and decided to jump into BSP for 45 minutes.  Oh man... I swear that water is magical.  You swim for a bit and then your body is cooled down and air conditioned for the next hour.  Amazing.  After that swim, I could've hung outside for a while.  Mind you, I was done at 7:45 so I wasn't dealing with the bonkers heat but it was still 98 or something crazy when I got out.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Had to be in the Zilker area last night and decided to jump into BSP for 45 minutes.  Oh man... I swear that water is magical.  You swim for a bit and then your body is cooled down and air conditioned for the next hour.  Amazing.  After that swim, I could've hung outside for a while.  Mind you, I was done at 7:45 so I wasn't dealing with the bonkers heat but it was still 98 or something crazy when I got out.

Spent the weekend down at the Guadalupe just past the canyon lake dam.  Water was 59 degrees.  Insane standing with half your body in that freezing ass cold water and the other half in 106 sun.  But spending a few hours in that water I was actually cold sitting outside afterward.  Took several hours for my body to actually feel warm.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Felt damn near heavenly this morning at 74 degrees and 52% humidity as opposed to 80 and 95% humidity.    

Wednesday morning will really be nice with lows in the upper 60's in some areas around Austin with very low humidity and a light north wind.

Of course it will be around 104 in the afternoon.......

Don't be fooled by this low-humidity. It makes the fire risk worse.

We aren't out of the woods yet. 

(If the woods burn down then we may then be out of them, in a literal sense. But we'd still be in the thick of it figuratively.)

Edited by ztejas
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Spent the weekend down at the Guadalupe just past the canyon lake dam.  Water was 59 degrees.  Insane standing with half your body in that freezing ass cold water and the other half in 106 sun.  But spending a few hours in that water I was actually cold sitting outside afterward.  Took several hours for my body to actually feel warm.

Exactly it.  I was jumping off of the diving board repeatedly yesterday evening and I was cold standing in line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Seems like every hot/dry summer we have, we get teased by a tropical system or two in the gulf. It never happens. 

A lot of folks forget that a 2010 tropical storm saved our ass in that drought (a drought that ran from 2010-2011 - it wasn't just 2011).  Hermine came through and dropped like 8-9 inches over Centex, a good chunk of which went into our lakes.  If we hadn't had that cushion going into the worst of that drought (which was over the next year), we'd have been even fucked-er than we were.

Also...with the breeze and lower humidity, early this morning felt almost pleasant.  It was a reminder that we don't ALWAYS feel like a hellscape.  That will end by noon today, though.  And the fire danger is through the roof.

Shit, I watched the last bit of Cast Away last night.  When he was back in Memphis, and it was raining...all I could do was stare at the rainfall wistfully.  And Helen Hunt.  I also had some wist for her back then, she was cute.

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A lot of folks forget that a 2010 tropical storm saved our ass in that drought (a drought that ran from 2010-2011 - it wasn't just 2011).  Hermine came through and dropped like 8-9 inches over Centex, a good chunk of which went into our lakes.  If we hadn't had that cushion going into the worst of that drought (which was over the next year), we'd have been even fucked-er than we were.

Also...with the breeze and lower humidity, early this morning felt almost pleasant.  It was a reminder that we don't ALWAYS feel like a hellscape.  That will end by noon today, though.  And the fire danger is through the roof.

Shit, I watched the last bit of Cast Away last night.  When he was back in Memphis, and it was raining...all I could do was stare at the rainfall wistfully.  And Helen Hunt.  I also had some wist for her back then, she was cute.

In 2011, we were jumping for joy for Tropical Storm Don to provide relief.  And then this happened

Tropical Storm Don was the first tropical cyclone to make landfall in the United States during the 2011 season. The fourth named storm of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season, Tropical Storm Don formed from an area of low pressure along a tropical wave, Don developed into a tropical depression on July 27, and on that same day, was upgraded to tropical storm intensity, based on data from a reconnaissance aircraft noted the presence of tropical-storm-force winds. It tracked across the Gulf of Mexico and reached a peak intensity of 50 mph (85 km/h) before moving ashore in Texas on July 30 as a tropical depression, dissipating shortly afterwards. Initially, Don was expected to provide relief to the state, which was suffering from a major drought. However, the system dissipated rapidly just before making landfall, providing very little in the way of help to the state; rainfall totals were less than 1 in (25 mm).

The local and national weather guys were freaking out because this was rare for our part of the world.    It happens on the Arabian Peninsula and Australia from time to time, but not the North American coast.  And if I recall that day it made landfall, it was probably the hottest day in that blast furnace of a summer.     But the drought was much, much worse that led to the storm  falling apart as it land on the King Ranch.  

17 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The upside with this El Nino, the so called weather experts and the Farmers Almanac agree we should have a wet/cold winter.   Slow soaking rains will do good for the Hill Country watersheds and aquafers.    Rivers will be nice by spring and early summer next year.

Great for hunting and missing kids outdoor sports stuff!

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The upside with this El Nino, the so called weather experts and the Farmers Almanac agree we should have a wet/cold winter.   Slow soaking rains will do good for the Hill Country watersheds and aquafers.    Rivers will be nice by spring and early summer next year.

I could be wrong but I swear that sometime around March I saw the same thing posted about this summer. 

• Rage+1 1

heard my backyard sprinklers come on at 2am and thought "that's weird since the system has been off for a few weeks." went and unplugged the unit, which didn't work so i shut off the water to the house which also didn't work.  i finally located the sprinkler box underground at around 4.  called my sprinkler guy and he said he's seen a lot of strange shit going on since this heat wave started.  fun morning!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, Brisketexan said:

So, when I turn on my bathroom faucet cold water tap, it flows cold water for a bit, using the water that was in the pipes inside the house.  But once we go through that water, and it starts running water that was in the pipes (underground, mind you) outside the house, it gets warmer.  Much warmer.  Measured it with my bbq thermometer yesterday -- my cold water is 89 fucking degrees.

Fuck this summer.

I've gone full Westlake and bathe in nothing but Fiji water out of my fridge.

Our MUD installed "wireless" water meters in the past few years.  I'm waiting for them to start using those to tell when people are "illegally" watering their yards at night - currently restricted to 2 nights a week based on the address - to start sending out fines...

https://www.kxan.com/weather/for-second-time-this-year-austin-sets-record-for-most-105-days-in-a-row/

A heat record that stood in Austin for 100 years has been broken for the second time this year.

Camp Mabry, Austin’s official weather reporting site, hit 105° or higher every day between Aug. 4 and Aug. 14, a total of 11 days in a row. That ties with an 11-day streak last month as the longest streak of consecutive days at or above 105°.  Prior to that, the record stood at 9 days, set in August 1923.

9 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Wednesday morning will really be nice with lows in the upper 60's in some areas around Austin with very low humidity and a light north wind.

Of course it will be around 104 in the afternoon.......

Supposed to be the coolest morning since June 10th. 

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That graph is shittier than your argument.  

Hey we found one! 

What the chart shows is that we’ve more than doubled the all-time recorded days above 105 since 2010 and almost tripled them since 2000, but thanks for playing.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

55 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Here's a handy way to illustrate the difference between "weather" and "climate" for your old people and friends of a certain political persuasion to like to say "it's always been hot"
image.thumb.png.4f0233c1596bcc4a94ffb1354032a228.png

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Disagree.

Relatively mild temps with few early recordings of truly hot days (105). Then you have the extreme temperatures of dust bowl, which rapidly increases the cumulative total of hot days. Then 80 years of sporadic hot days that gradually raises the cumulative total. Then starting 20 years ago you have so many hot days the impact of the cumulative total is that of back to back to back dust bowls.

We've reached the point where the frog in the slowly boiling pot starts to notice the bubbles.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Also the great thing about this post is that you can spot the really irrational political types because they take a graph like that and cal it an “argument,” when it’s actually an illustration of the difference between a change in weather (noise) vs a directional change in climate (signal).

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Also the great thing about this post is that you can spot the really irrational political types because they take a graph like that and cal it an “argument,” when it’s actually an illustration of the difference between a change in weather (noise) vs a directional change in climate (signal).

It’s a directional change of weather, and of short term climate.  What happens when that graph levels out for considerable time? (it obviously can’t decline since it’s a cumulative number, which is why it’s a shitty graph meant for people that are only trying to prove 1 point).   

I’m merely pointing out that it’s a shitty way of displaying data because we could go through a 10 year period of not having a single 105 degree day, and the graph would be flat and would be argued by you that that period was the aberration rather than the period we just went through.   It’s just a poor way of representing and presenting data.  Bottom line.