Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Looks like we're in for some big pattern changes by mid-Sept, hold on just a little bit longer. 

Saturday Night Live GIF

There was a link on the front page of the Statesman this morning about the release date of Starbuck's famed pumpkin spiced latte.  I found that a curious editorial choice given the story above it was elderly people coping with the extreme heat/draught.  We have our own state-specific power grid but can't get our own state-specific coffee ads?  All this Fall/Pumpkin/Autumn talk is bullshit, wake when it's yoga pants season.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What the hell is the Texas state specific coffee flavor?  Smoked brisket?  Chili?  

I mean....I'm listening....

I assume he meant that the fall flavors should be released in Texas around mid-November when it’s actually fall for about a week 

• Hook 'Em 2

So the plan is for everybody in Texas to drink chili coffee with cigarettes and breakfast, take a runny dump outside, during the hottest summer.  And the cumulative smell should drive away other people from moving here?  Fuck it, I'm in.  

I assume he meant that the fall flavors should be released in Texas around mid-November when it’s actually fall for about a week 

We actually have fall from November to late January into February where we have winter for two weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

With beans or without?

Coffee is made from beans, DUH! 

To Hate's point, I do kinda enjoy the variance (not in our shitty energy grid, but meteorological kind) of weather between Nov. 1st and May. 1st.  I mean, a predictable set of four seasons is preferred, but we do have nice days.  There's surprisingly chilly days, swim weather in January, heavy rains in November or April, etc.  We move from 25* to 85* with usually enough precip for several months of the year, sometimes as many as 8 months.  It's annoying, but interesting, even sometimes comforting.  But for the last 25 years, for 4+ months, it's fucking 95-105 every fucking day with no rain and 80 at night over and fucking over and over.  There's no fucking change.  And then in November or February, we get heat advisories, snow, mild flooding, etc.  It's like a Michael Bay movie.  

Anyway, in a movie of improbable quantities of impossibly funny improv..."I saw little guys in orange robes just burst into flames" has making me crack my ass up for 35 years:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

With our luck we’ll probably get terrible weather on April 8 that will ruin the solar eclipse, too.

"As the Totality arrives above dense El Nino nimbus cover...we remind Texans not to fire their weapons at the clouds to break them up, as the bullets do fall back to earth at nearly the same deadly velocity.  Thank you and enjoy this once in a generation phenomenon."  

Edited by YGIFS

We should just nuke the Earth so that we can start over in 500 years.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/world/emperor-penguin-breeding-antarctic-sea-ice-climate/index.html

As rapidly warming global temperatures help push Antarctica’s sea ice to unprecedented lows, it’s threatening the very existence of one of the continent’s most iconic species: emperor penguins.

Four out of five emperor penguin colonies analyzed in the Bellingshausen Sea, west of the Antarctic Peninsula, saw no chicks survive last year as the area experienced an enormous loss of sea ice, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Nature Communications Earth & Environment.

This widespread “catastrophic breeding failure” is the first such recorded incident, according to the report, and supports grim predictions that more than 90% of emperor penguin colonies will be “quasi-extinct” by 2100 as the world warms.

• Rage+1 5

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

We should just nuke the Earth so that we can start over in 500 years.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/world/emperor-penguin-breeding-antarctic-sea-ice-climate/index.html

As rapidly warming global temperatures help push Antarctica’s sea ice to unprecedented lows, it’s threatening the very existence of one of the continent’s most iconic species: emperor penguins.

Four out of five emperor penguin colonies analyzed in the Bellingshausen Sea, west of the Antarctic Peninsula, saw no chicks survive last year as the area experienced an enormous loss of sea ice, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Nature Communications Earth & Environment.

This widespread “catastrophic breeding failure” is the first such recorded incident, according to the report, and supports grim predictions that more than 90% of emperor penguin colonies will be “quasi-extinct” by 2100 as the world warms.

What you have to understand is there is true ice loss AND artifactual ice loss, wherein the satellite imagery is distorted by all the concrete at Camp Mabry. The lack of reproductive success is totally cyclical. Just an unsexy year in the Antarctic. Try reading a journal next time before posting something from Cable News Nonsense

• Like 1

Got about 2 minutes of rain last night in my neck and it's not as oppressively muggy as usual this morning. #smallvictories

Today (~101) and tomorrow (~103) don't appear too extreme, but looks like Sunday will be a redux of last Sunday, just an absolute scorcher around 107 or so. 

After that though, I'm not seeing much above 100 on the long-range forecast (Houston area). Decent rain chances Monday afternoon and then a little front of drier air rolls in afterwards. Should still have highs about 100 but humidity/heat indices will be lower and early mornings and late evenings should be significantly more pleasant WED-FRI. 

Edited by Storm the Field

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

September is the start of fall right?  Right?

Somebody said yes, September 1st is start of Fall, because that's the first day of dove season.  

However, this year, the rules have changed.  You don't get to shoot the doves anymore.  You just wait until they burst into flames in the hot sky like that nice stained glass image at my church.  Then grab it, throw on some bacon and pepper, and you got yourself a meal.  

• Hook 'Em 2