Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Houston area doesn't look like we'll get much of what anyone would consider a "cooldown," but today is the only day on the 15-day forecast with a triple digit temp although tomorrow may possibly hit 100. The following 2 weeks have an average daily forecast of roughly 94/74. Still a good 3-4 degrees warmer than average for the time of year, but not historically awful and breaks the streak where we've consistently been 8-10 degrees above average the past 40 days or so.

It's better than nothing?

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't get me started on the fucking outdoor weddings from June-September in central Texas.  Remember, that's my wife's gig - marrying these people.  Used to be, everyone had a lick of sense; if you got married in summer in Texas, you got married inside, because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT'S HOT.

Now, all of these brides have seen a shitload of Instagram posts about how gorgeous outdoor summer weddings are, skipping right past the fact that every one of those posts comes from someone in New England, or SoCal, or the UP of Michigan or some shit, WHERE IT'S NOT 1,000 DEGREES FOR FOUR FUCKING MONTHS STRAIGHT.  So, she's had multiple outdoor weddings this summer, and another one coming up.  She has had people actually pass out at them.  Other guests give up after 15-20 minutes, and leave the wedding to go someplace indoor with AC.  Bride and groom standing up front, drenched in sweat.  Hell, she's had some of them ask her to perform in her vestments -- she has answered (politely) "fuck that shit, I'll be wearing a little black dress."  She is ripshit pissed at all the wedding coordinators who put up with this shit and don't tell their brides not to do it.  It's stupid, selfish, fucking dumb, and dangerous.

Imagine if a fucking bride in Fargo said "ya know, I really want to have an outdoor wedding, you betcha.  I was thinking January 15th, right next to the river in Orchard Glen Park.  Ya know, I saw some pictures of that place, with the trees all in bloom, and it looks soooooo pretty!"  The wedding coordinator would just look at her and say "Outside?  On January 15th?  No."

You wouldn't subject people to standing outside for an hour when it's -20, why in the fuck do you think it's okay to do so when it's 105?

Wedding coordinators are such a fucking asswhipping.  What a great racket.  

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Wedding coordinators are such a fucking asswhipping.  What a great racket.  

That and wedding venues. Someday I'm gonna go buy a couple acres of pasture land out in the middle of nowhere, spread bluebonnet seeds everywhere, throw up a barn and surround it with a bunch of cheeky shit from Cracker Barrell, then charge 5-10k a pop per wedding. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

That and wedding venues. Someday I'm gonna go buy a couple acres of pasture land out in the middle of nowhere, spread bluebonnet seeds everywhere, throw up a barn and surround it with a bunch of cheeky shit from Cracker Barrell, then charge 5-10k a pop per wedding. 

They're the worst, in both directions.  It's a racket and you're overpaying for what they are....and it's also not a sustainable business model because you need high volume, year-round, to make most of them viable.

Find a friend with a ranch.  Or a nice backyard.  Keep the guest list small.  Have some good bbq brought in for the reception.  Walla, perfect wedding.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

They're the worst, in both directions.  It's a racket and you're overpaying for what they are....and it's also not a sustainable business model because you need high volume, year-round, to make most of them viable.

Find a friend with a ranch.  Or a nice backyard.  Keep the guest list small.  Have some good bbq brought in for the reception.  Walla, perfect wedding.

Or do exactly what he is saying, charge a reasonable rate, keep cows and some deer feeders on the property, and you'll be full all year round with an ag exemption.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Father in law lives in Nashville.  Said that's basically what happened there.  Wedding "venues" everywhere like you just described.  A barn in a field.

20 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Yay for NTX I guess. Fuckin' hell for SA.

spacer.png

Today's 00Z Euro looks a little better for SC Texas. It's always raining in fucking Oklahoma/NTX. They've had a much more pleasant summer in the panhandles and parts of OK than us down here getting burnt to a crisp every fuckin' day.

Anyway, yay I guess- we'll take anything at this point

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

i cant remember the last time i had a nice backyard.

(i cant fight the battle on two fronts)

Edited by yoladu

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Basically what we did. Reserved a public spot for $100, had 20 people, had a reception on the patio of a Mexican restaurant. FIL picked up the tab for that, so when you add in the wedding presents people got us, we made money on the deal. 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

My son is laying out more than that for my granddaughter’s wedding next spring……

https://www.thecreekhaus.com

At least it’ll be cooler outside.

Edited by Armybrat

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My son is Latin’ out more than that for my granddaughter’s wedding next spring……

thecreekhaus.com 

https://grueneestate.com/

This one comes to mind. My cousin got married here. The website makes it look much better but really it's just a cheapo "chapel" and a reception area, which is basically a giant deck with a roof, a bunch of picnic tables, and a bar. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a perfect setup for an outdoor wedding and we all had a great time, but nothing special for what it costs. Also despite it's name, it ain't in Gruene. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

https://grueneestate.com/

This one comes to mind. My cousin got married here. The website makes it look much better but really it's just a cheapo "chapel" and a reception area, which is basically a giant deck with a roof, a bunch of picnic tables, and a bar. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a perfect setup for an outdoor wedding and we all had a great time, but nothing special for what it costs. Also despite it's name, it ain't in Gruene. 

"Estate"

That is some turrible "chapel" design.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:33 AM, Storm the Field said:

Beat Trey to starting the thread again!

Anyways, we're getting a sneak peak of summer this weekend, with sustained temps in the low 90's today and tomorrow, though it shouldn't stick around long. Supposed to be an extended period of clouds and rain chances starting next week to limit temps to 85 or less through 5/20. 

After 3 years of an extended La Nina, we'll see if we actually get a milder, wetter summer this year with the El Nino that is being widely predicted. Fingers crossed. 

post #1.

Good Guess GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife officiated an outdoor wedding today. It was 106 at ceremony time.
She took this photo of one of the tables as she was leaving:

0c017216356a82079d4706b7dd90f281.jpg

So two things. 

1. The melted candle now looks noticeably phallic. 

2. The wax stain on the top of the table is very clearly the typical 2d drawing of a dick and balls. 

life is a tapestry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, Storm the Field said:

Haven't y'all heard? It's summer in Texas, it's supposed to be hot, herp de derp.

chart-3-scaled.jpeg

Confirms my feeling that it hasn't been quite as bad as 2011, despite everyone saying it's the worst summer ever.  I was born in 1980.  Mom likes to remind me how miserable it was to be pregnant that summer.

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

So two things. 

1. The melted candle now looks noticeably phallic. 

2. The wax stain on the top of the table is very clearly the typical 2d drawing of a dick and balls. 

life is a tapestry. 

The Leaning Tower of Penisa?  

can we photoshop in Bob Stoops standing on the right side pretending to be holding it up like every other jackass, cock-obsessed tourist not named Saban?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also, I don’t know if I’m alone on this here in NW Austin but the fact we have pretty bad mosquitos right now despite the total absence of rain is weird and disheartening.  I thought one of the benefits of living in the desert was those fuckers need water to propagate.  

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Every time I drive up MoPac from the SW side, all the dead cedar elms look so sad.  A bunch of them dying. We really really need the rain. 

You talking about that stretch from like Southwest Parkway to 360?  It's fucking brutal.  Even in 2011, I never saw the trees look this rough.  Too many years of sustained extreme weather.  Two really shitty fallouts from this that most people don't pay attention to---Oak Wilt on split branches.  And when we do get a couple of hard freezes and ice accumulates on a lot of this very, very brittle trees---we're in for blackouts measured in weeks, not days.  

People have to start learning to prune themselves, properly, responsibly, and safely.  You can't wait for some "Arbor Crew" to leave a hanger on your front door handle.  This is gonna get worse before it gets better.  

On the mosquito note, I have noticed an uptick in bugs the last week or so.  Thankfully, not too bad.  But that was the one nice part of this shitshow, very few bugs inside or out.  But as Curly once said with regard to homicide...day ain't over yet.

• Hook 'Em 1