Tell me about ou

Texas007

I will just never for the life of me understand a football coach and players wearing gear with a basketball logo. I know it's other schools too but I had some whiskey last night and went on a schadenfreude tour on youtube to soak in the tears. I get Jordan is a brand, but a basketball player on football gear is just plain fucking stupid, period.

WATCH: Oklahoma Head Coach Brent Venables Bedlam Interview - Sports  Illustrated Oklahoma Sooners News, Analysis and More

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I will just never for the life of me understand a football coach and players wearing gear with a basketball logo. I know it's other schools too but I had some whiskey and went on a schadenfreude tour on youtube yesterday to soak in the tears and this was what vegetables wore. I get Jordan is a brand, but a basketball player on football gear is just plain fucking stupid.

WATCH: Oklahoma Head Coach Brent Venables Bedlam Interview - Sports  Illustrated Oklahoma Sooners News, Analysis and More

Played baseball, too... and not badly, either. Maybe he was just more comfortable in a Court or in a Park than he was on aField?

Wasn't aware Gabriel could play another year at blOU.  Some discussions on social media that Arnold might transfer if DG returns.

'We haven't had those conversations': Brent Venables on the possibility of Dillon Gabriel returning to Norman

Dillon Gabriel has had an incredible season for the Oklahoma Sooners. He’s completed 70.5% of his passes for 3,069 yards, 25 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He also leads the team with 11 rushing touchdowns.

It has just been assumed that in Oklahoma’s first year in the SEC, they’ll have a new quarterback, former five-star Jackson Arnold. The coaches have even eluded to it. But either many don’t know or they haven’t put much thought into it, Gabriel could actually return to college football for one more season.

Let’s look at why. This is Gabriel’s fifth season in college. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the NCAA granted a redshirt season for every player in 2020. Then in 2021 he only played three games due to injury which falls under the four-game redshirt rule. So Gabriel has one more year of eligibility available should he choose to use it.

Brent Venables spoke about Gabriel possibly returning to Norman next season. “We haven’t had those conversations,” Venables said. “He’s played a long time. He’s been through a lot. I think a year ago maybe, the talk was he had a good year, why would you want to come back? You could come back and have a bad year. But what’s he done? He’s come back and had an even better year. He’s played a lot of college football. He’s had to overcome some injuries. Lots of different types of ailments and injuries. We haven’t talked about that though.”

Venables doesn’t say it but I expect this to be Gabriel’s last season in college football. There’s an outside chance he decides to continue his college playing career but my guess would be for him to play somewhere else if he decides that.

I think Oklahoma and the coaches are fully confident in Arnold and seeing what kind of future he has.

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

lol no

Yeah, no chance of that and for a lot of reasons (NIL, the two rosters, proximity to home, etc.)  Maybe OU has to keep an eye on one of their '24 QB recruits.  I could see Zurbrugg or Hawkins flipping.  I expect Lebby to bring Joe Jon Finley with him, though, and make him the OC.  That might make the Mitchell kid (TE) in the '24 class a flip candidate.

If you told me that Littrell ends up the OC / TE coach, and that OU moves J.P. Losman into an on-field coaching role as QB coach, I wouldn't be surprised.   Littrell seems like the most obvious on-staff fit and Losman has been with Venables since they were both at Clemson.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, camel at sea said:

If you told me that Littrell ends up the OC / TE coach, and that OU moves J.P. Losman into an on-field coaching role as QB coach, I wouldn't be surprised.   Littrell seems like the most obvious on-staff fit and Losman has been with Venables since they were both at Clemson.  

Yeah, definitely some talk about Littrell as one of blOU's top candidates for Off Coord

Screenshot_2023-11-26-19-29-02_kindlephoto-17284581.thumb.png.fe47e16ca071b89a20d578bcb827c550.png

Two former Sooners to coordinate Oklahoma offense

Former fullback Seth Littrell and former tight end Joe Jon Finley will coordinate the Sooners' offensive efforts.

ZACH BARNETT     51 MINUTES AGO

Seth Littrell and Joe Jon Finley have been promoted to co-offensive coordinators at Oklahoma following Jeff Lebby's departure for Mississippi State.  Littrell will coach quarterbacks while co-coordinating the offense, while Finley will continue coaching tight ends.

Both men played for OU while Venables coordinated the Sooners' defense. Littrell was a fullback on the Oklahoma's 2000 national championship team, while Finley played tight end from 2004-07. (Lebby is also a former Sooner, though he worked as a student assistant at OU.)

After a 5-year NFL career, Finley returned as a GA in 2012 and then again as tight ends/H-backs coach in 2021.

Littrell began coaching in 2002 and did not return to his alma mater until this current season as an offensive analyst. He coordinated offenses at Arizona, Indiana and North Carolina and went 44-44 in seven seasons as the head coach at North Texas.

"I'm thrilled to announce two former OU players as our new brain trust on offense," 😂  said Venables, "Seth and Joe Jon are going to make an amazing duo and lead a fantastic group of offensive coaches."

"Yes, this was an easy and convenient move," said Venables, "but it was also the best move for our program, our players and our staff. I went through a thorough process and vetted and visited with a lot of candidates, including sitting head coaches, former head coaches, NFL assistants, quarterback gurus and others. But everything kept bringing me back to this duo and our offensive staff as a whole."

The rest of Oklahoma's offensive staff returns intact for Year 3 under Venables and Year 1 in the SEC. 

Bill Bedenbaugh has coached Oklahoma's offensive line since 2013; DeMarco Murray, another former Sooner, has coached the running backs since 2020; and wide receivers coach Emmett Jones joined the staff in January.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Two former Sooners to coordinate Oklahoma offense

Former fullback Seth Littrell and former tight end Joe Jon Finley will coordinate the Sooners' offensive efforts.

ZACH BARNETT     51 MINUTES AGO

Seth Littrell and Joe Jon Finley have been promoted to co-offensive coordinators at Oklahoma following Jeff Lebby's departure for Mississippi State.  Littrell will coach quarterbacks while co-coordinating the offense, while Finley will continue coaching tight ends.

Both men played for OU while Venables coordinated the Sooners' defense. Littrell was a fullback on the Oklahoma's 2000 national championship team, while Finley played tight end from 2004-07. (Lebby is also a former Sooner, though he worked as a student assistant at OU.)

After a 5-year NFL career, Finley returned as a GA in 2012 and then again as tight ends/H-backs coach in 2021.

Littrell began coaching in 2002 and did not return to his alma mater until this current season as an offensive analyst. He coordinated offenses at Arizona, Indiana and North Carolina and went 44-44 in seven seasons as the head coach at North Texas.

"I'm thrilled to announce two former OU players as our new brain trust on offense," 😂  said Venables, "Seth and Joe Jon are going to make an amazing duo and lead a fantastic group of offensive coaches."

"Yes, this was an easy and convenient move," said Venables, "but it was also the best move for our program, our players and our staff. I went through a thorough process and vetted and visited with a lot of candidates, including sitting head coaches, former head coaches, NFL assistants, quarterback gurus and others. But everything kept bringing me back to this duo and our offensive staff as a whole."

The rest of Oklahoma's offensive staff returns intact for Year 3 under Venables and Year 1 in the SEC. 

Bill Bedenbaugh has coached Oklahoma's offensive line since 2013; DeMarco Murray, another former Sooner, has coached the running backs since 2020; and wide receivers coach Emmett Jones joined the staff in January.

Probably about the best that Venables could do.  There isn't a realistic can't-miss OC on the market and this move maximizes continuity from what was a really good offense.  They'll succeed or fail next year based on whether Arnold lives up to his hype.  It'll be easier to make that happen if he's not learning a new offense.  

I kind of expect Venables to replace Ted Roof (DC/LB) this offseason, too.  We'll see.