Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

Just now, Dahobbs said:

To racists, yes, that's exactly what those are. 

And you recognize that as truth?  That these are code for race?  As long as you recognize that the "code" works as easily on you as it does the intended target, I guess that's fine.  It's just like breaking any code.  If you can "see" the translation immediately, and don't require a translation tool, then you are just as much a voluntary receiver of the coded message as any of it's intended target.  Do you understand?  

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He seems to be laboring under the miscalculation that they have to be true to be dog whistles. 

der which one of these crimes is associated with only black people?

They can be true or 100% false.  That it's true is not the point of the coded message.  It's about perception.  

Just now, PRONG HORN said:

And you recognize that as truth?  That these are code for race?  As long as you recognize that the "code" works as easily on you as it does the intended target, I guess that's fine.  It's just like breaking any code.  If you can "see" the translation immediately, and don't require a translation tool, then you are just as much a voluntary receiver of the coded message as any of it's intended target.  Do you understand? 

dbf30187de20b515f4f1933012133de4b8bcf886

• Haha 8

14 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Yes, I understand that you should stop eating paint chips. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, Gatorubet said:

For example, “send those Jews to the showers” could mean anything. Could mean they like good hygiene. Could mean they’re baseball fans.  If you can “see” the translation immediately then you are just as much a voluntary receiver of the coded message as any of the attending target.  Do you understand?  Do you know that this is the first time I’ve done mushrooms? 

I understand.  I know exactly what I thought of.  It's an unconscious result of reading that sentence for most people of a certain age.  I didn't have to pursue the correlation in my head with active thought or contemplation.

3 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

What's my point?  

If you understand the dog whistle then you're just as bad as the person dogwhistling? Not sure if that's it, but it seems to be where you're going with this. I hope that's not the argument.

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

That's all you can manage?  Reply tomorrow when you're more functional.  I'll check back.  

DON’T SCOTCH AND THC SHAME ME!!!!

You’re the one with the word salad post.   It’s like you ran up to someone and yelled, “What’s the frequency, Kenneth?” -  and when they ask you what you meant by that, you responded more fully with your post.  I’m sure it makes sense in your noggin.  

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

If you understand the dog whistle then you're just as bad as the person dog whistling? Not sure if that's it, but it seems to be where you're going with this. I hope that's not the argument.

No it's just the simple point that when the dog whistle's code, (in this case a racial one) is received as truth by both the racist and the innocent observer, that they are the same.  The perception is inside both the racist and the innocent.  The perception that the following may be associated with any race ..

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store

If an innocent observer read that and any race popped into their head, they are just like anyone the dog whistle may have been intended for.  Some people like to call it unconscious bias and some people call it racist.   

But in the case of this song it's a little more complicated than the Holocaust popping into someone's head at the mention of Jews and showers in the same sentence. With the song, there may be people who want to claim knowledge of the racist code in the lyrics, while at the same time maintaining some sort of innocence about their knowledge of the intended meaning.  "I know it's racist but I myself am not racist" is what they might try to say.  Again it's also about if you choose to call it unconscious bias or racism.  

10 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

No it's just the simple point that when the dog whistle's code, (in this case a racial one) is received as truth by both the racist and the innocent observer, that they are the same.  The perception is inside both the racist and the innocent.  The perception that the following may be associated with any race ..

If an innocent observer read that and any race popped into their head, they are just like anyone the dog whistle may have been intended for.  Some people like to call it unconscious bias and some people call it racist.   

But in the case of this song it's a little more complicated than the Holocaust popping into someone's head at the mention of Jews and showers in the same sentence. With the song, there may be people who want to claim knowledge of the racist code in the lyrics, while at the same time maintaining some sort of innocence about their knowledge of the intended meaning.  "I know it's racist but I myself am not racist" is what they might try to say.  Again it's also about if you choose to call it unconscious bias or racism.  

image.gif.1427b2741ac52e840aa7a4ab81ad2198.gif

1 hour ago, F250 said:

That you are one of the dumbest mother fuckers that posts on Surly.

A fucking cum sock has more intelligence than you do.

Are you mad?  About unconscious bias?  I don't know if I've ever lashed out at a poster like you just did. 

This reminds me of a time Imma messaged me about this very thing.  It was at least a few years back and Maybe even on Shaggy.  He said regarding unconscious bias that I really shouldn't expect all posters to be capable of engaging someone on the topic.  Actually I'm not sure it was imma or black lab or even some random poster, but their point was basically that raising such topics might be a waste of time because people didn't like it, or they weren't ready for it, or didn't want to hear it.  

6 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Are you mad?  About unconscious bias?  I don't know if I've ever lashed out at a poster like you just did. 

This reminds me of a time Imma messaged me about this very thing.  It was at least a few years back and Maybe even on Shaggy.  He said regarding unconscious bias that I really shouldn't expect all posters to be capable of engaging someone on the topic.  Actually I'm not sure it was imma or black lab or even some random poster, but their point was basically that raising such topics might be a waste of time because people didn't like it, or they weren't ready for it, or didn't want to hear it.  

Dude, quit smoking the meth. Get help.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

lol.  You think we're incapable of understanding bias?  That's your approach here?

2 minutes ago, tigol said:

lol.  You think we're incapable of understanding bias?  That's your approach here?

Of course not.  It wasn't supposed to be half a page of "what the hells" and then your post comes along four hours later as the one poster who claims to understand my point.  One dude shows that he understood my point and the others I'm not sure about.  It didn't start as my approach but now I wonder if it might be worth discussing and may end up having some relevant context in the thread.

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Of course not.  It wasn't supposed to be half a page of "what the hells" and then your post comes along four hours later as the one poster who claims to understand my point.  One dude shows that he understood my point and the others I'm not sure about.  It didn't start as my approach but now I wonder if it might be worth discussing and may end up having some relevant context in the thread.

Consider the 2020 summer of love and police brutality. Go back in those threads like the George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery case, and the same dog whistles being used by aldean were being used by the local fascist sympathizers of the board that were posting andy ngo and jack posibiec as legit news sources. And wouldn't you know it, it was the same shit as this song of the south

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

image.thumb.jpeg.144c0180f6e5ea9493e4a07172b43dd4.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Knowing what the code refers to and receiving it "as truth" are not the same thing. It is possible to know what someone means without believing it yourself, just like it is possible to understand what someone on fire looks like without being on fire yourself. 

Unconscious bias is a different issue, and by definition you have to be not aware of it. The primary way to combat unconscious bias is by making an effort to identify that bias, shifting it from unconscious to conscious. 

Your reasoning would lead to the conclusion that anyone who understands the sketch below must also be racist, including Key and Peele. 

To me these guys will always be the “I said “Biiiiiiiiitch!”” guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

I should start a rumor on Twitter that he didn’t really pass out in Connecticut(lol) but had to have his stomach pumped ala Rod Stewart, and while in the ER they found a gerbil up his ass. 

That’s kind of long to fit on that cat reading a newspaper meme but it needs to happen. 

10 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

What are the dog whistles from the song?  Is it one of these?  Which one of these is code for a certain race?  

Well a few years ago there were a bunch of viral videos of “urban youths” sucker punching random people and running 

carjacking is something that concerns Chads and Karens enough to post a lot about on Facebook and seem always to be committed by “urban youths” 

While redneck white trash pos types are known to knock over liquor stores, in the context of the rest of the lyrics -and especially given the images chosen for the video- would seem to connote “urban youths” as the perpetrators to anyone with above a room temperature IQ 

Everyone knows “urban youth” really means

image.gif.57ebdc8a47fa422d2fbdb81ca64f360e.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Knowing what the code refers to and receiving it "as truth" are not the same thing. It is possible to know what someone means without believing it yourself, just like it is possible to understand what someone on fire looks like without being on fire yourself. 

Unconscious bias is a different issue, and by definition you have to be not aware of it. The primary way to combat unconscious bias is by making an effort to identify that bias, shifting it from unconscious to conscious. 

Your reasoning would lead to the conclusion that anyone who understands the sketch below must also be racist, including Key and Peele. 

Sure. There's the obvious point about racist dog whistles in music, especially country. But I think y'all are missing the grater lesson here, which is to not hang out at the house of a guy who has a guitar collection because you'll invariably have to listen to him play shitty songs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'll give him and Fatty some credit.  They stand by their principles whether right or wrong.

Fwiw my only contention is Isbell tweets and acts like a bitch.  Purely subjective.  

Aldean knew the lyrics, and chose to sing it.  Im not certain he knew the courthouse was a lynching hotspot. But very likely the guy who directed the video did.  

You know you're an alpha when you use words like "pussification."
Yes, you dumb fuck, some dumbass country hack blowing racist dog whistles is more "offensive" than making an explicit song about sex.

Good thing aldean is your moral compass and alerts your racist dog whistle meter
And you call everyone a dumbfuck yet let aldean trigger you?
Wasnt a shit ton of courthouses pretty much the sites of lots of lynchings?
And username pretty much checks out that you are a dipshit dog fucker

28 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Good thing aldean is your moral compass and alerts your racist dog whistle meter
And you call everyone a dumbfuck yet let aldean trigger you?
Wasnt a shit ton of courthouses pretty much the sites of lots of lynchings?
And username pretty much checks out that you are a dipshit dog fucker

Is any of this English? What's the matter, couldn't fit in a "snowflake" anywhere?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Prong Horn has already admitted to being a troll and has been given a timeout for racism

That was the same thread he called me & Zepol a racial slur. Dude is just a moron and a proud racist. Don’t know why anyone is bothering with him. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Sorry I’m late to this topic because I know y’all have been wondering to yourself what my option is. Well, here goes.

There’s really two questions here:

1) is this song any good? No. Dumbass singer, dumbass lyricist, dumb ass take, and dumb ass song all around. That’s not at all off trend for todays popular music though. So be it.

2) Am I offended by it? No. If I don’t have to be offended by NWA or Wet Ass Pussy, I don’t see why I have to be offended by this. However, I’m about as likely to listen to this song on purpose as I am Wet Ass Pussy (which is never) so it’s really a non issue for me. Actually NWA might not be the best example because I will actually listen to them from time to time on purpose.

There you have it.

18 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

If an innocent observer read that and any race popped into their head, they are just like anyone the dog whistle may have been intended for.  Some people like to call it unconscious bias and some people call it racist

Anyone with an IQ > 70 who grew up in the US and has access to network or cable news and the internet knows the connotations of those images as part of artistic expression 

Unconscious bias would be watching the news break a story about a liquor store robbery, a carjacking, or random sucker punch and assuming the race of the perpetrator before their picture popped up on the screen. 

eta that song isn’t even sort of “country” 

It sounds like a bad late 80’s hair band power ballad with “country” lyrics. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Very likely"?

Try "absolutely".  Aldean had a fucking bat in his hand.

Yeah, for the director, absolutely is probably more apt.  I didn’t watch the video, just read the accounts of it here and saw the stills.   I did catch about 30 seconds of the song on the radio maybe 2 weeks ago, and remember it being terrible, without even taking into account the dog whistles.  I didn’t even know who the artist was at that point.  

38 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I refuse to watch anything tik tok want to summarize?

It’s a vid about a small town Mississippi newspaper columnist who used to write satirical pieces about white supremacy, etc.   He was run out of town with death threats, put out of business with lost scripts, etc.  It’s another “tried this in a small town” post. 

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s a vid about a small town Mississippi newspaper columnist who used to write satirical pieces about white supremacy, etc.   He was run out of town with death threats, put out of business with lost scripts, etc.  It’s another “tried this in a small town” post. 

More critically, portions of the newspaper column written by the columnist were shown crumpled up in the music video (according to post, Im not watching the whole video to confirm), providing direct evidence of what type of conduct the song is saying to "try in a small town," i.e., supporting minorities against white supremacy.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

More critically, portions of the newspaper column written by the columnist were shown crumpled up in the music video (according to post, Im not watching the whole video to confirm), providing direct evidence of what type of conduct the song is saying to "try in a small town," i.e., supporting minorities against white supremacy.

Ah. Missed that part.  I didn’t watch vid and missed that in the guys tik tok explanation. 

eta: that’s more evident the director knew what he was doing, even more damning than the courthouse imo.   That’s blatant. 

Edited by fattyflattie