2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

IMO the biggest question mark heading into the season is Sark's head coaching acumen. Coach is near perfect in everything else, but for some reason, he makes some bone headed decisions during the games and can't adjust in real-time or half-time. He seems too dialed in on calling the next play to step back and strategize on the overall game being played.

Almost everyone agrees that we have a talented roster to make a deep run. I hope the coach can up his game as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Watched the first episode of the Swamp Kings UF doc on NFLX last night. Urban Meyer is a colossal POS but goddamn it he is obsessed with winning and has an intensity level that we are unlikely to ever seen in Sark.

That documentary was so underwhelming. They didn’t mention Percy Harvin choking his receiver coach, no Pouncey twins interview, Carlos Dunlap getting arrested the week of the 2009 SECCG vs Alabama

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Surly’s 2nd favorite pastime, right after punching itself in the dick, is rehashing horribly painful losses from past seasons. 

So I imagine we will get to reconsider the TCU game 100 different times from 100 different angles in the coming years. 

it would be best to never mention that game again. But you know we can’t help ourselves. 

Nothing was riding on the TCU game.  Small potatoes.  Let's talk about the 1984 Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

PO - playoff quality

B12 - Big 12 Champ quality

NO - Not Big 12 Champ quality 

QB - PO

RB - B12

WR - PO

TE - PO

T - PO

G - B12

C - B12

DT - B12

DE - NO

CB - PO/B12

LB - B12

S - NO/B12

If Catalon is healthy, I think you're very low on S relative to other scores

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Watched the first episode of the Swamp Kings UF doc on NFLX last night. Urban Meyer is a colossal POS but goddamn it he is obsessed with winning and has an intensity level that we are unlikely to ever seen in Sark.

He would totally be our coach right now if CDC had just known that all he needed to do was grind on him in a bar.

• Haha 6

also, the fuckery is going to make grant teaff smile (he's still alive)
we would do well to simply negotiate with the league to put 2 points on the board for the opponent before every league kickoff and bring in out-of-conference refs

Ref fuckery is worth more than 2 points. Some of our games we needed about 11.5 yards for a first while our opponents needed only about 8.5.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

PO - playoff quality

B12 - Big 12 Champ quality

NO - Not Big 12 Champ quality 

QB - PO

RB - B12

WR - PO

TE - PO

T - PO

G - B12

C - B12

DT - B12

DE - NO

CB - PO/B12

LB - B12

S - NO/B12

Too many unknowns among interdependent positions to really say. For example, QB, RB, Guard, are all unproven and what you can win with at one depends on what you're getting out of the other.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Healthy Catalon for the first 8 games would be a big win. My hope is he plays enough to get a guy Derek Williams ready. 

Catalon is an all american calibre player. If he stays healthy for the season Derek Williams won't be eating into his playing time.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyTapia said:

That documentary was so underwhelming. They didn’t mention Percy Harvin choking his receiver coach, no Pouncey twins interview, Carlos Dunlap getting arrested the week of the 2009 SECCG vs Alabama

They didn’t even mention that one dude at tight end that didn’t kill homself 

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Was listening to some talk about concern at safety depth if one of the starters gets hurt. I’m surprised to hear we haven’t been cross training watts as safety bc that’s how I think I’d go, move watts to safety and get Muhammad on the field.

Watts apparently is entirely uninterested in the idea, which seems counterproductive for his draft stock.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Was listening to some talk about concern at safety depth if one of the starters gets hurt. I’m surprised to hear we haven’t been cross training watts as safety bc that’s how I think I’d go, move watts to safety and get Muhammad on the field.

Or, have Brooks switch to boundary so holmes can be field. Muhammed will get playing time this season regardless, so getting guys with experience on the field, first, would be priority imo. 

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

image.png.d698a4f6141185a86b6256de575584c1.png

That’s the record of a mediocre coach…. Who’s had more success than our coach, and who’s had more success at worse programs than our coach ever has had anywhere.

I don’t follow how you believe that somehow validates Steve Sarkisian’s career.

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

That’s the record of a mediocre coach…. Who’s had more success than our coach, and who’s had more success at worse programs than our coach ever has had anywhere.

He wasn’t trying to do two jobs at once? Coaching and drinking??

18 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

My point wasn’t to validate Steve Sarkisian’s career. It was to punch holes in the narrative that what you accomplished in some random 2010 or 2012 season is somehow indicative of how this season is going to go.

Coaches flash and develop at different rates, kinda like players. And context matters. It’s a whole lot easier to win at Texas than 0-12 Washington kinda like it’s a lot easier to win at TCU than Cal.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

My point wasn’t to validate Steve Sarkisian’s career. It was to punch holes in the narrative that what you accomplished in some random 2010 or 2012 season is somehow indicative of how this season is going to go.

Coaches flash and develop at different rates, kinda like players. And context matters. It’s a whole lot easier to win at Texas than 0-12 Washington kinda like it’s a lot easier to win at TCU than Cal.

What about Louisiana Tech or SMU? Are those easier to win at than say… USC?

Sark has never won jack crap, here’s hoping THIS is where and when he breaks through… but you can’t blame anyone for doubting him when he’s never won a single thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't make me post the list of geniuses who have all won at least one national championship as head corch....none of which we would want leading our team in 2023. I'm not saying the head coach doesn't matter, especially when he's also the OC, but point still stands.

I think we need to put the playoffs out of our minds, winning the Rig12 on the way out is top priority this season. Get that done and let everything else play out how it plays out.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

Sark has never won jack crap, here’s hoping THIS is where and when he breaks through… but you can’t blame anyone for doubting him when he’s never won a single thing.

image.thumb.png.ab8667d308202dce49dba50a7c6a8348.png

I say he did a good job of building Washington back up and preparing that roster for the early success Petersen had. 

He went 9-4 his first year at USC and was fired in his second year after starting 3-2. I don't think you can truly draw much of a conclusion about USC. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Didn’t he win a national championship at Alabama?

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

To be fair, La Tech and SMU weren’t regulated to 55 scholarship players in that time either. 

this is fun. How long are we gonna play this game?? Oh, 6 more god damn days? FUCK

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Don't make me post the list of geniuses who have all won at least one national championship as head corch....none of which we would want leading our team in 2023. I'm not saying the head coach doesn't matter, especially when he's also the OC, but point still stands.

I think we need to put the playoffs out of our minds, winning the Rig12 on the way out is top priority this season. Get that done and let everything else play out how it plays out.

No shit. Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizic and Ed Orgeron have won national championships. You can't convince me that those men are such masterful field generals/tacticians.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yeah, Nick Saban never won a fucking thing without Sark.  With that line of thinking, he should get credit for USC’s MNCs in 03/04.

Sark really is an amazing coach if he helped USC win the 2004 Championship while he coached at Oakland... 😋

• Haha 2

IMG_5445.png

that’s the ogre. He couldn’t win shit till he did. It’s almost like the talent that lsu amassed with the decent coaching staff allowed him not to look like a bumbling, meat head, shit hook, fucktard which he most certainly is lulz. I have absolutely no clue if sark can put it together but this is a really dumb argument. Let’s talk about if Mack was fired too late or should have been given more time next!!! 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Furk
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BERT said:

To be fair, La Tech and SMU weren’t regulated to 55 scholarship players in that time either. 

this is fun. How long are we gonna play this game?? Oh, 6 more god damn days? FUCK

Listen, I like the guy a lot. He’s pulling in talent like we haven’t had since Mack.

I just don’t trust him based on his history before being here and since being here. I’m BEGGING him to prove me wrong though.

Matthew Mcconaughey Hook Em GIF by Texas Longhorns

• Hook 'Em 3

Listen, I like the guy a lot. He’s pulling in talent like we haven’t had since Mack.

I just don’t trust him based on his history before being here and since being here. I’m BEGGING him to prove me wrong though.

200.gif

And yet somehow your trust has nothing to do with what will happen on the field.
Watts apparently is entirely uninterested in the idea, which seems counterproductive for his draft stock.

Is this true?? He should want to help his draft stock

Or, have Brooks switch to boundary so holmes can be field. Muhammed will get playing time this season regardless, so getting guys with experience on the field, first, would be priority imo. 

So Catalon gets hurt and you move Thompson to $ and the bring in taffe and then replace watts with brooks bringing someone, either Holmes or Muhammad, in to backfill brooks?

I’m not sure why watts needs to be benched because a safety gets hurt.

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Matthew Mcconaughey Hook Em GIF by Texas Longhorns

He has done well as an OC at his most recent job and he has done well in all aspects of head coaching since being here. That is a lot more relevant than his drinking problem 15 years ago. Winning is a trailing indicator. It takes development, retention and strong recruiting classes to get to that point.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

He has done well as an OC at his most recent job and he has done well in all aspects of head coaching since being here. That is a lot more relevant than his drinking problem 15 years ago. Winning is a trailing indicator. It takes development, retention and strong recruiting classes to get to that point.

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

• Like 1
  • Haha 3