The Blind Side 2: The search for more money

Evil Bill Obrien

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm guessing there was no reason to terminate the conservatorship because they weren't using it to wield financial power over him and potentially never used it to do that. If they were messing with his NFL money then there's no way he would have let it continue 7 years past his retirement.

Maybe they hosed him out of some of the movie proceeds but I'm not sure what the point of that would be. They were already exceedingly wealthy - the image hit from that would have/potentially will I guess wind up costing them more.

Right, they absolutely had the right to fuck with every single thing he's done over the last 19 years, but they didn't do it.

Maybe they just wanted to fuck with that one thing.  Maybe they just wanted to be able to legally steer him to Ole Miss.  Maybe they just wanted to help.  I dunno, impossible to tell with the facts we have.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another thing, though, is Michael Lewis apparently did a deep dive on this thing and, if he thought it exploitative, you'd sure think he'd write about it, he doesn't shy away from that kind of thing.

IIRC, Lewis was close friends with the Tuohys before he wrote the book.  

• Hook 'Em 1

"I sat Michael down and told him, 'If you're planning to go to Ole Miss -- or even considering Ole Miss -- we think you have to be part of the family,'" Tuohy said. "'This would do that, legally.'"

He continued, "We contacted lawyers who had told us that we couldn't adopt over the age of 18; the only thing we could do was to have a conservatorship. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court."

What does this mean? Ole Miss only takes players if they have families? They didn’t house him because he needed help but to get him into old miss? And as far as I know adult adoptions are legal in every state. What on earth does ole miss care about a conservatorship? If it was to give him a better home life, adult adoption works, or just let him live there and give him a stable home life. Why ole miss would care about adoptions or conservatorship makes no sense. Every year we see a sappy segment on Gameday about a player that overcame homelessness or some other tough circumstance. Funny how conservatorship comes into play when a Hollywood movie is at stake. 

I’m reading it had to do with the ncaa rules at the time and that Tuohy was a “booster” of the program. Another reason college players should have been able to have agents.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The problem here is that Occam's Razor finds two extremely likely explanations:

1.  2007 NCAA screwed over an athlete.

2.  Rich, white, our-shit-don't-stink (pardon the redundancy) couple takes advantage of an extremely talented poor black kid.  

Those stupid whites should've just let him keep living in a laundromat! Can't believe they took advantage of him by giving him a place to live and getting him into OIe Miss and making a movie about it where they profited tens of thousands!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I think that the answer here is that both parties just ignored/forgot about it after a while.  It appears Oher never really appreciated what it meant.  And, if the Tuohys had sinister motives at first, they certainly didn't maintain them for very long and left him alone.

This conservatorship is in pretty stark contrast to Spears' where her father very actively managed every aspect of her personal and financial life until it was terminated.

There's plenty of non-sinister reasons to have a conservatorship instead of adoption.  I imagine actually adopting a teenager who has runway from foster care isn't the easiest or most successful endeavor.

The quote on filing: "According to the legal filing, the movie paid the Tuohys and their two birth children each $225,000, plus 2.5% of the film's "defined net proceeds." 

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the movie paid them $900K for the movie rights. That is just an absurd amount for the story being purchased.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, freyguy said:

just like slavery made African Americans better folks in the long run?  /DeSantisisadedumbass

Damn they sold him just like a slave at the NFL combine too!

2021.11.01-05.00-themixnet-61801d495f2cf

Seriously though

If these people that helped him out had sold their franchises for $200M, and they weren't taking a dime of his NFL money, it's really silly for his lawyers to go after them for some of that hollywood money.

The attorney fees are going to be more than the money he can go for on that movie deal.

2 hours ago, Best served cold said:

Ad litems have fucked over plenty of good parents over the years and are just as shitty as any other family lawyer. They should be kept out of all legal proceedings as they do jack shit other than run up the costs of a custody battle.

kind of a wtf moment but the ad litem for my father when I was applying for conservatorship was a family friend who charged more for that than the attorney I  hired. We were in judge's chambers and my attorney looked at him and said really and my buddy backed off a few hundred. In his defense he had to drive 2 hours to see him and 2 hours back.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

So the overreaction on page one was bullshit and Slorch was correct that the available initial info wasn’t adding up?

weird. 

Still of the opinion that the Tuohys crowing for all these years about adopting Oher when really they didn't and really had a conservatorship over him all this time is rather shitty. Might shake out that there was nothing legally wrong with what has gone on here... but still feels shitty. Time will tell.

Bet the Tuohys wish they had just slipped Michael whatever his share of the movie proceeds would have/should have been at some point rather than get put on blast though, if they really had all that money from fast food joints would have been a pretty easy check to write to save themselves a headache.

9 hours ago, slorch said:

When did America get so mean?

4 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

No CR but sometime between Nixon resigning and the 2nd plane hitting the WTC. Can't tell you exactly when but before that time America was mostly folksy, reasonably nice to one another, pretty racist but at least attempted to hide it except in the Deep South. After that time to the present day full ass tribal politics and "if you aren't with me, you are a Nazi/Commie/Fascist/etc and I hate you and everything you say"

Lee Atwater is the name y'all be looking for. /cr

47 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

lol... if wasn't covered, Oher also happens to have a new book he wrote that just came out this past week....

Occam is clean shaven again.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Seems fairly accurate now, no?

Lol. I was thinking this but didn't want to comment it. 

"How dare they portray me as unintelligent! It only took me 16 years to sus out this document they had me sign."

I think it's more likely that he is rather intelligent and that the lawsuit is rather frivolous. 

It's possible he has a legitimate claim to a substantial amount of money, but whether he does or doesn't I doubt the lawsuit gets anywhere. I doubt Tuohy fucked Oehr over for a couple million with the large risk of fucking himself over down the line were it to come to light. Especially when he was trying to get him to commit to Ole Miss. 

I'm not sure how big Tuohy's heart is vs. how much he cares about his football team winning but there would have to be a whole lot of dirt come to light before I'd entertain the idea that that family didn't have a hugely positive impact on Oehr's life. 

And, obviously, the fact that this coincides with Oehr releasing another book doesn't pass the smell test. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t imagine this is as nefarious as some of y’all think. It’s not like they needed the money. They owned 115 fast food restaurants at one time. 

I’ve seen this like a dozen times. You realize rich people like money, right? There’s no real concept of “having enough” it’s money to be made at every opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’ve seen this like a dozen times. You realize rich people like money, right? There’s no real concept of “having enough” it’s money to be made at every opportunity.

Seems like the movie wouldn't had done so well if there were dozens of stories just like it.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another thing, though, is Michael Lewis apparently did a deep dive on this thing and, if he thought it exploitative, you'd sure think he'd write about it, he doesn't shy away from that kind of thing.

Michael Lewis and Sean Tuohy are good buddies from high schools - that's how he ended up telling their story.  I doubt he was looking to bring down one of his oldest friends.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no idea the family was that rich.  I never saw the movie, but just assumed they were suburbanite rich.  Maybe this needs to be posted on the movie forum, but selling your story for a book/movie deal is definitely worth something.  That should have all been given to Oehr given they had 9 figure worth, but I can't believe it would be millions of dollars.  Non fiction anything wouldn't be a thing if those were the costs.

6 hours ago, immamac said:

So was the NCAA gonna retroactively take his eligibility away because they are deep in the know of contracts as soon as they are signed? Gtfoh with that shit. Lol. 

They retroactively took Reggie Bush's Heisman away for a lot less than Oher's movie portrayal.    

57 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Still of the opinion that the Tuohys crowing for all these years about adopting Oher when really they didn't and really had a conservatorship over him all this time is rather shitty. Might shake out that there was nothing legally wrong with what has gone on here... but still feels shitty. Time will tell.

Did they ever use the word adopted? Listeners are lazy and can easily misinterpret what they hear. "We brought him into our family" does not equal adopt. 

Even if they adopted him, I don't know they could have given him a share of the movie like they did with their kids and allow him to keep his eligibility at Ole Miss.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

There's plenty of non-sinister reasons to have a conservatorship instead of adoption.  I imagine actually adopting a teenager who has runway from foster care isn't the easiest or most successful endeavor.

Especially when it comes to estate planning.   

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Did they ever use the word adopted? Listeners are lazy and can easily misinterpret what they hear. "We brought him into our family" does not equal adopt. 

Even if they adopted him, I don't know they could have given him a share of the movie like they did with their kids and allow him to keep his eligibility at Ole Miss.

https://www.actionnews5.com/story/12494578/exclusive-leigh-anne-tuohy-talks-about-sandra-bullock-adoption/

Since the success of The Blind Side, Tuohy has been the country speaking about adoption. Her commencement address at CBU this past weekend was carried on C-SPAN, and she is writing a book with her husband, Sean.

While its not a direct "we the Tuohy's adopted Michael Oher" quote (that may exist in the time period, just gonna be super hard to find now with all the stories on the inter webs from the last day and a half), going on a nationwide speaking tour about adoption including a televised commencement speech and writing a book about it sure dues seem like thats what they are trying to say

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

https://www.actionnews5.com/story/12494578/exclusive-leigh-anne-tuohy-talks-about-sandra-bullock-adoption/

While its not a direct "we the Tuohy's adopted Michael Oher" quote (that may exist in the time period, just gonna be super hard to find now with all the stories on the inter webs from the last day and a half), going on a nationwide speaking tour about adoption including a televised commencement speech and writing a book about it sure dues seem like thats what they are trying to say

It's been 15 years, but my recall is that in Lewis' book it is reported he was not adopted because they did not want to offend the birth mother.  But that he was going in the will and getting equal shares to natural born kids.

My memory is hazy on the adoption issue.  But I am fairly certain Lewis quoted Sean Tuohy on the will part.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Their website uses it.

https://www.leighannetuohy.com/michael-oher/

Michael Oher’s inspirational journey from the streets of Memphis to the NFL was chronicled in Michael Lewis’ best-selling book The Blind Side, now a major Hollywood blockbuster. The adopted son of Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, Michael spent most of his childhood in various foster homes and moved in with the Tuohys when he was 16. “Who knows where I’d be?” says Michael, who with the love and support of the Tuohys, improved as a student and became the most sought after player in college and professional football.

It appears that the only item which is completely clear is that the family was mostly concerned with ensuring Oher was eligible to play for Ole Miss. 

It has yet to be seen if they actually received the alleged money from the movie. If he was really part of their family as portrayed, they could have given him a share after his Ole Miss career was over.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t imagine this is as nefarious as some of y’all think. It’s not like they needed the money. They owned 115 fast food restaurants at one time. 

As a former teen fast food employee, this fact doesn’t necessarily absolve them of accusations of taking advantage of naive, at-need teenagers. 

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Those stupid whites should've just let him keep living in a laundromat! Can't believe they took advantage of him by giving him a place to live and getting him into OIe Miss and making a movie about it where they profited tens of thousands!

Thanks, DeSantis.

• Fuck You 1

I always thought this was viewed as a mutually beneficial deal by all parties. Ole Miss boosters take in an adult sized teenager who can play football and steer him to their preferred college and get society good guy points. Kid being let down by the system with social and potentially learning issues gets a place to get his feet under him and gets help getting minimum grades to get into major university. All parties get what they need/want and everyone wins. 

Unfortunately, forgot about the money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

kind of a wtf moment but the ad litem for my father when I was applying for conservatorship was a family friend who charged more for that than the attorney I  hired. We were in judge's chambers and my attorney looked at him and said really and my buddy backed off a few hundred. In his defense he had to drive 2 hours to see him and 2 hours back.

That's pretty much my point. Assholes with takw you to the cleaners while not actually doing anything. Shit is ridiculous, smh

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Anyway, whether he has a legit claim really just boils down to whether the Tuohys actually made money on the movie or not.  The "It was against NCAA rules to pay him!" defense seems even weaker now that they admitted they gave him a share of the money from Michael Lewis.  They could have done the same with residuals from the movie.  If they made more money from the movie beyond the $14,000 from Lewis, then there's not really a great defense to taking over as conservator for a guy and cutting him out of a deal while you still profit.  

This.   Seems like he's claiming the entire family made a bunch of money off the movie.  The family is claiming that is BS.  That should be a pretty easy fact to prove one way or another.  To the extent the family did in fact make a bunch of $$ and they use NCAA eligibility as a defense, that's BS, because as a fiduciary, it seems reasonable to wait 12-18 months to sign up the deal so the primary subject could share in the profits.  As a projected first round draft pick it's not like the story was going to go stale by waiting until he played his last game as a junior.

• Hook 'Em 1