Arch Manning Being "Arch"

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

We’re talking one pre-planned series. Games aren’t won or lost on one offensive series. But just letting him hand off to the 4th RB and then taking a knee to kill the clock is NOT “experience.”

Hook’em!!!

The plan is to have games in hand by midway through the 3rd quarter, so Arch will get plenty of snaps. You’re overthinking this.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

People that laughed at my plan of implementing Arch into the 3rd series of the 1st made a mockery of my idea. That solution of “getting him into the game with the 1’s” has been implemented by other teams over the decades, as a strong way to have your back-up “ready” if needed. Quinn is the starter and will return the next series, regardless of Arch’s drive/outcome.

All I’ve heard on SXM and the internet today, is that Arch should transfer immediately to a team needing a real QB1. Giving him guaranteed playing time, even with his own scripted plays/series would settle this decision. It’s just to get experience with the 1’s and not just mop up duty at the end of a blow out!

I guarantee he and his group are getting offers as we speak!

Hook’em!!!

Jfc.

One day after the spring game and we have fast forwarded to peak bone-dry desert offseason stupidity.

I expected this shit when we were suffering through the Strong-Herman horrificness.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

The plan is to have games in hand by midway through the 3rd quarter, so Arch will get plenty of snaps. You’re overthinking this.

If it’s “out of hand,” is he really playing with the 1’s? Only talking one series. Could be 3-out, TD, FG, INT, fumble or punt.

Playing meaningful snaps with the 1’s vs the opponents’ 1’s isn’t seen at practice, especially in a “hostile” environment.

Hook’em!!!

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is a stupid idea.  Get your starter in a groove and leave him in until the game is decided without question.  Telling Quinn to go get a hot dog from the concession stand at the end of the first quarter and sit for series is beyond stupid.

As to Gilbert, they were trying to redshirt him.  He burned his RS to play in the NC game.

Pretty sure he played in game 1 burning his shirt. They didn’t have the four game rule then. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

If it’s “out of hand,” is he really playing with the 1’s? Only talking one series. Could be 3-out, TD, FG, INT, fumble or punt.

Playing meaningful snaps with the 1’s vs the opponents’ 1’s isn’t seen at practice, especially in a “hostile” environment.

Hook’em!!!

It can be with the 1s if we want it to be, happens all the time all across the country.

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is a stupid idea.  Get your starter in a groove and leave him in until the game is decided without question.  Telling Quinn to go get a hot dog from the concession stand at the end of the first quarter and sit for series is beyond stupid.

As to Gilbert, they were trying to redshirt him.  He burned his RS to play in the NC game.

I agree with all of this but will die on the hill that says Mac Brown fucked up the QB2 situation that costed the team a National Championship.

GG was thrown to the wolves and did a pretty good job and likely would have done better with more game reps. I won't even get into the Sherrod Harris situation but Mack fucked up the QB roster for years after the 2009 season.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

It's a suggestion by someone who hasn't played the game and thinks it's just like Madden

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

People that laughed at my plan of implementing Arch into the 3rd series of the 1st made a mockery of my idea. That solution of “getting him into the game with the 1’s” has been implemented by other teams over the decades, as a strong way to have your back-up “ready” if needed. Quinn is the starter and will return the next series, regardless of Arch’s drive/outcome.

All I’ve heard on SXM and the internet today, is that Arch should transfer immediately to a team needing a real QB1. Giving him guaranteed playing time, even with his own scripted plays/series would settle this decision. It’s just to get experience with the 1’s and not just mop up duty at the end of a blow out!

I guarantee he and his group are getting offers as we speak!

Hook’em!!!

I haven’t read any replies but I suspect people laughed at this post too. I quite literally rolled my eyes. 

18 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Yes - and GG had ZERO “meaningful” snaps prior to the Rose Bowl! I’ve seen this implemented at the CFB level and I know a couple instances where they were glad to have an experienced back up! Enough said, I digress.

I of all Horn fans want Quinn to win it all, but I’d like to also a back up to have live reps, with the 1’s, besides at practice.

Hook’em!!!

You have not seen this dumb shit plan implemented by any team with a realistic shot at a trophy. Stop.

Posted (edited)

The problem wasn’t that FUPM didn’t have a freshman Garett Gilbert with meaningful experience, it was that he didn’t have another sophomore, junior, or senior QB with meaningful experience. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Can’t spel
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I can't remember a time when the media fawned all over a Texas QB like Arch. Obviously VY and Colt were amazing QBs worthy of praise, but national media has never been one to drool over Texas. When VY was here, it was all about Matt Leinart and Jason White and so forth. Shit, Colt beat Sam Bradford head to head several times and yet the media dick rode him and tebow and so forth over Colt. Whenever in the past media outlets have talked about Texas QBs, it's always been begrudging praise over the unavoidable level of play they exude.

But with Arch, you have everyone from NCAA to NFL drooling all over him. To say nothing about his actual tenure at Texas, it's safe to say Arch is likely the most hyped Longhorn of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, ousux said:

Who is Sam Fariss and should I ignore him more than I was already doing?
https://hookemheadlines.com/posts/if-arch-manning-doesn-t-start-in-2024-he-will-head-to-the-transfer-portal-01hw1737k15k

Clickbait title, but it worked on me. Of course he never addresses the article title at any point.

Not clicking on that crap.

You should be embarrassed that you did.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not clicking on that crap.
You should be embarrassed that you did.
Like I said, title got me. I know everyone does clickbaity titles these days, but I thought there might be some breaking news in there...instead he just rehashed what everyone already knows.

Not only did you click it, you posted it here for a few thousand other people to click it. Don’t give these wannabe self-proclaimed journalists a voice.  The coverage of sports and social media in general would be better off if 3/4 of these dickheads had to go get a real job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/21/2024 at 6:12 PM, conVINCEd said:

On 4/21/2024 at 7:26 PM, MotownHorn said:

It's a suggestion by someone who hasn't played the game and thinks it's just like Madden

OTF's guest coach said on Monday he'd give Arch the 3rd series of the game in the fall. Said he's too talented and too important not to get live action reps and experience in games that matter while still in doubt. 

Don't know if I agree with it but it definitely isn't some stupid far fetched idea. It's possible by September he may be the best QB on the roster and not getting him reps could hurt us in '25 when we could have a stacked team capable of winning a title but a completely inexperienced QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not only did you click it, you posted it here for a few thousand other people to click it. Don’t give these wannabe self-proclaimed journalists a voice.  The coverage of sports and social media in general would be better off if 3/4 of these dickheads had to go get a real job.

UID and avatar check ... xD

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:59 AM, C-Man said:

The fact that Quinn has gotten hurt in each of his last three seasons of play means Arch better be ready to play meaningful minutes at some point in 2024.

Yep. Just like how someone here said that Maalik Murphy would never play a meaningful snap at Texas and look what happened... Quinn got injured and Maalik go t his moment. 

On 4/23/2024 at 12:13 AM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I can't remember a time when the media fawned all over a Texas QB like Arch. Obviously VY and Colt were amazing QBs worthy of praise, but national media has never been one to drool over Texas. When VY was here, it was all about Matt Leinart and Jason White and so forth. Shit, Colt beat Sam Bradford head to head several times and yet the media dick rode him and tebow and so forth over Colt. Whenever in the past media outlets have talked about Texas QBs, it's always been begrudging praise over the unavoidable level of play they exude.

But with Arch, you have everyone from NCAA to NFL drooling all over him. To say nothing about his actual tenure at Texas, it's safe to say Arch is likely the most hyped Longhorn of all time.

has there ever been another quarterback that's received as much attention for as long as he has before his first start? i can't think of one.

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

His first start, whenever it comes, is going to be a media circus supreme.

Every game, every throw, every decision, every sack will get picked apart. He could be head and shoulders above everyone else and fuckheads like Kirk Bohls will vote for someone else to win the Heisman.

• Rage+1 1

Re: Garrett Gilbert…Mack was pissed because VY got screwed out of a Heisman in ‘05, Colt in ‘08, and the ‘08 team got screwed out of the BCS championship game, so in ‘09 he decided to leave Colt in games for style points. Gilbert could’ve played much more and seemed somewhat competent against Alabama and maybe not have been ruined for the rest of his time as a Longhorn. 

Keeping QB1 in rhythm is a valid point. Unconventional idea that will be deemed stupid: Let Arch play the opening drive of games, then hand it over to Ewers for the rest of the game until it is decided, then Arch can come back in to finish it out. Better idea: blow people the fuck out so Arch can play most of the second half of games. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Re: Garrett Gilbert…Mack was pissed because VY got screwed out of a Heisman in ‘05, Colt in ‘08, and the ‘08 team got screwed out of the BCS championship game, so in ‘09 he decided to leave Colt in games for style points. Gilbert could’ve played much more and seemed somewhat competent against Alabama and maybe not have been ruined for the rest of his time as a Longhorn. 

Keeping QB1 in rhythm is a valid point. Unconventional idea that will be deemed stupid: Let Arch play the opening drive of games, then hand it over to Ewers for the rest of the game until it is decided, then Arch can come back in to finish it out. Better idea: blow people the fuck out so Arch can play most of the second half of games. 

I don’t think Ewers is mentally tough enough to do that.

The biggest contributor to the decline in sports journalism is the need to drive clicks and views. I understand that it's not that simple, but that is the simple explanation for why the stuff that does get written is such complete shit.

I miss the days when I could spend a half hour reading just the weekday sports section of the DMN.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Mack seemed to have a hard on for colt getting that completion percentage record 

Arch starting is likely when Ewers goes down in a game and Arch finishes it, then Ewers isn't back next game. Like Maalik, Arch takes over one game and then stars the next if and only if Ewers is still hurt.

Assuming Arch finishes out a win and looks good, the hype for the First Start may exceed Prime level. That hyperhype would be a certainty if the preserved win is 0U and the First Start is Jawja.