Michael Mann's next film- Ferrari

mdmost

On 8/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, Native Horn said:

They'll probably have the intermission at the wrong time, and not have the second reel of film ready to go when it's over.

23 hours ago, kevwun said:

The projector will also explode during the middle of the movie.

"We are checking..."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2023 at 1:15 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I can only imagine the hell he received when he enlisted in the Marines and was going through boot camp - there's no way some drill instructor didn't make a note of those ears.

Adam_Driver_Marines.jpg

John, you’re in charge. Driver doesn’t make 4646 on his next Proficiency and Conduct report, I’m going to blame you. And then I’m going to kill you.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

She playing a Euro chick? Method actor.

Fucking an American troglodyte kinda cancels out the 'ick factor' for the Stanislavski technique.  Driver is a good comedic actor, I find his dramatic shit over-the-top.  I've never understood the fascination with Italian cars, but the movie looks good because the story of Ferrari is very compelling.  

Was standing outside a hotel in Austin yesterday and there were 3 ferraris lined up outside.  And some quiet European men (speaking Catalunyan) got into them and headed up Congress without revving engines.  And this 3-bills American got into his Lamborghini and caught up to them at the loudest fucking RPM decibel level possible without breaking 45mph.  And I thought, "Those Ferraris will be lucky to make it to the Capitol before needing an oil change, but damn-they looking fucking gorgeous in this light."  

• 2 months later...

We watched this at Alamo yesterday for opening day.  One of my kids fell asleep but the rest of us really enjoyed it.  Beautiful shots and great sound (compliments to Alamo at Lakeline).  I definitely recommend seeing/hearing it in a decent theater instead of on a plane or whatever later.

• Like 1

The story is compelling and the acting is as good as it can be with the script they were given   The writing isn't very good imo.  I am not a car freak but I enjoyed the racing scenes and learning a little about the history of the company.   It left me wanting to know more about how he built the company and the early design and build choices that defined their cars.  Also it almost goes without saying that Penelope Cruz is a force of nature and is alone worth seeing the movie for.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really good. Very visceral movie experience. Should be seen in a theater or with a great sound system.

Penelope Cruz was phenomenal, and Driver was very good.

But wish they’d had someone better than Shailene Woodley. Her performance couldn’t match up.

Spoiler

Didn’t know the history going in, but did know of the Le Mans disaster so I was feeling anxious for a big crash most of the film. That ending crash was pretty brutal.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 12/27/2023 at 11:31 PM, ClubWhatever said:

The story is compelling and the acting is as good as it can be with the script they were given   The writing isn't very good imo.  I am not a car freak but I enjoyed the racing scenes and learning a little about the history of the company.   It left me wanting to know more about how he built the company and the early design and build choices that defined their cars.  Also it almost goes without saying that Penelope Cruz is a force of nature and is alone worth seeing the movie for.

9 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Really good. Very visceral movie experience. Should be seen in a theater or with a great sound system.

Penelope Cruz was phenomenal, and Driver was very good.

But wish they’d had someone better than Shailene Woodley. Her performance couldn’t match up.

Reveal hidden contents

Didn’t know the history going in, but did know of the Le Mans disaster so I was feeling anxious for a big crash most of the film. That ending crash was pretty brutal.

Cruz should get a Best Actress nod. Woodley was totally miscast.  I wish the screen play had either leaned harder into the death and difficulties of Dino’s death and running the company/failing marriage or just cleared the way for Driver designing cars/intimidating drivers/racing and just generally being an imperious prick.

But it was all worth it for the last 40 minutes in theater experience. That wreck….

Edited by Bateshorn

15 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Cruz should get a Best Actress nod. Woodley was totally miscast.  I wish the screen play had either leaned harder into the death and difficulties of Dino’s death and running the company/failing marriage or just cleared the way for Driver designing cars/intimidating drivers/racing and just generally being an imperious prick.

But it was all worth it for the last 40 minutes in theater experience. That wreck….

I expect Cruz will be nominated for Supporting Actress and Driver will get a nomination for Best Actor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw it last night and didn’t really care for it. Perhaps my least favorite Michael Mann movie. In fairness, I didn’t know anything about the story and had no idea what the movie would cover, so maybe I was expecting a more complete biopic and it was really just a sliver from a tumultuous year in Enzo Ferrari’s life.

The first half focused primarily on his marital drama, which I found frustrating and not entirely well written. The behaviors and conversations of the main characters seemed artificial and hollow, lacking the actual depth and human factor I would expect from real people in their situation. It’s as if Mann thought dim lighting and muted conversations would be sufficient to convey drama and passion, but something was severely lacking, like a restaurant with a swanky vibe but a bland menu.

Not knowing the background, it made me start to despise Enzo Ferrari by the middle of the movie. Instead of depicting him as a brilliant Don Draper-esque antihero, they showed too little of his strengths and instead portrayed him as a shitty husband and a struggling businessman. Also, I don’t have anything against Shailene Woodley, but she was horribly miscast in this role.

The second half of the movie was more enjoyable as it shifted the focus to the race and displayed the beautiful Italian countryside. One of the car crashes looked embarrassingly cartoonish, but otherwise I thought it was good. I wanted more of that, but it wasn’t enough to save the movie for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Watched it on a flight. Kinda boring and then OMG WTF.

I did not expect

Hide contents

A Saving Private Ryan level of gore in that one scene

It wasn’t terrible but it’s way down the list of Michael Mann flicks.

Watch in a better environment and I think you’ll appreciate it more. It’s an A/V feast and all the scenes between Penelope and Driver are exceptional.

If I were ranking them it’s somewhere in his top 5 imo. Maybe 6 but I love Miami Vice 

Edited by hobbes2702

On 3/14/2024 at 9:42 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Watch in a better environment and I think you’ll appreciate it more. It’s an A/V feast and all the scenes between Penelope and Driver are exceptional.

If I were ranking them it’s somewhere in his top 5 imo. Maybe 6 but I love Miami Vice 

This movie had it's moments, but it doesn't hold a candle to Miami Vice. 

• 3 weeks later...