Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

On 10/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Red Five said:

There were about three people checking tickets in that mass of humanity of Gate B. I watched a lot of people just walk right by them. 

There were also people scaling the walls. It looked like that Jerusalem scene in World War Z. 

That right there is both funny and scary/disturbing at the same time.  

There was about ten minutes late in the fourth quarter where they completely stopped blasting the music. It was glorious, and almost like being at a real college football game with a band you could hear and everything.  I’m assuming it was a technical glitch with godzillatron and not intentional.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Every special team play, Banks holds up a card with info on it for setting up a return or how they are going to pursue the return.  It would be nice if they would not put this on the Jumbotron.  Could clearly see what the return was or whatever he was calling.  Noticed it @ 4 or 5 times. Camera man even moved once so he could get a shot of what Banks was holding up for everyone to see. 
I found the music, ads, and announcements a beat down.  What’s the thought behind the orange smoke?  
Best thing they did was put the last play of the Kansas/OU game on the screen. Our players were looking at that as the play was being snapped. 

First game in 5 years.
Sat in sec 32 row 11 in the southeast corner pretty much under the Jumbotron.

Observations:
Our players are imposing. We looked physically superior to BYU.
Tons of BYU fans. Lots of blue. My section had 50/50 BYU fans and they were super nice. Got along with them better than the Horns fans there.
Jumbotron wasn’t bad at all. Not sure how it was but it wasn’t over the top. They need to get rid of that damn animatronic Horn on the Jumbotron every time a big play comes up.
The south end zone had some Miami club vibe patio sections. NFL-like.
Now I can see why Sark doesn’t use his timeouts. Long TV timeouts and stops in play. There’s too much stoppage.
The halftime show was actually short.
The humidity in the first quarter was unbearable but it got better.
The beer choices were decent.
Never had to wait in lines for the bathroom.

Overall, good experience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Lack of replays for those of us that like replays was as bad as it’s ever been. I’m sure Estes audiology would be ok slapping their name of the replay screen.

What is with all those pictures they keep showing on the jumbotron?  Every time they would start to show a replay it switched over to some facebook clone.

Then they advertised to get the "Texas Longhorn's App" so you could take part in the light show.  Several times.  It was daytime - no light show.  Is the board operator just sitting there doing coke all day?

• Haha 1

What time is the Bevo parade if the game is 11am?

Fuck

24 minutes ago, Farmerted said:

First game this year , Jumbotron better than last year? Missed p. Longstockings my loss . What was the version of LaGrange they played in second half on Jumbotron- original would be better but I’m old and it’s a nice compromise 

Everything is getting better and better. We had a great time at Kansas except the heat was insane for my kids. 

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Tons of BYU fans. Lots of blue. My section had 50/50 BYU fans and they were super nice. Got along with them better than the Horns fans there.

This is the same we heard the last time BYU visited. Some posters said they even heard Texas fans trash talking the BYU fans, but they wouldn’t retaliate. They are everything the Nebraska fans are falsely claimed to be. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Have they always tried to do the stupid Texas Fight cheer after every first down or is that something new they are trying to shove down our throats?

It's new and it's fucking pathetic.

I remember when we made fun of Kansas State for doing it back in the day.

I want that stadium DJ guy DEAD! I want his family DEAD! i want his house burned to the ground!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want that stadium DJ guy DEAD! I want his family DEAD! i want his house burned to the ground!

Ironically, your user name sounds like an alcoholic wedding DJ.
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

DJ even explained it to the crowd and practiced.  Dude has to be an Aggy.

Volume was definitely quieter than the first 3 games, which was awesome. There was a point at the beginning of the second half when it got loud for like a minute, and then immediately went back to the quieter levels.

On-field MC guy and the 4th quarter smoke show are still super annoying, but I'll tolerate them if the music stays at the volume that it was at on Saturday.

Volume seemed down over past games this year….love more Band music/participation.  Didn’t care for the 3 little orange smoke bombs they released….clouded up the stadium and took a while to clear out.  BYU had a ton of fans, as many as I’ve seen for visiting teams in years….but, if I hadn’t seen them in their blue and white, I’d never known they were there….very quiet and polite, and they were all around me.  So, why did a bunch of our fans sell their tickets to BYU fans..anyhow?  We will need you “sell-outs” against KS.

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This is the same we heard the last time BYU visited. Some posters said they even heard Texas fans trash talking the BYU fans, but they wouldn’t retaliate. They are everything the Nebraska fans are falsely claimed to be. 

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

We were treated very well when visiting BYU. Someone anonymously bought our dinner Friday night. They were good at the game too. They must have treated Manny Diaz well too since he was not interested in defending them.

Wasn't at the game, but same experience overall with BYU fans. The nicest people in college football unless you bring up Holy War. They haaaaate Utah.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TX Wing Fan said:

Volume was definitely quieter than the first 3 games, which was awesome. There was a point at the beginning of the second half when it got loud for like a minute, and then immediately went back to the quieter levels.

On-field MC guy and the 4th quarter smoke show are still super annoying, but I'll tolerate them if the music stays at the volume that it was at on Saturday.

On field MC guy may be more annoying than the weather man used to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, why did a bunch of our fans sell their tickets to BYU fans..anyhow? 

Probably because our shitty fans weren't buying them.  The ticket market for a top 10 texas game was abysmal and embarassing.  I think I netted like $70 per (after fees) for 35 YL seats.  Nobody even made me an offer on this site so I sold them Friday night on seatgeak.  Those were going for like $50 WITH fees in the couple of hours before kickoff.   I just couldn't swing it from Dallas after traveling for work all week or I would have been there.  But I'll never understand how Austin, as much as it's grown with no other sports in town, isn't supporting a winning Texas team better.   I think KSU will be a ot better considering it's a huge game with Big Noon kickoff in town but last week was pathetic.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Probably because our shitty fans weren't buying them.  The ticket market for a top 10 texas game was abysmal and embarassing.  I think I netted like $70 per (after fees) for 35 YL seats.  Nobody even made me an offer on this site so I sold them Friday night on seatgeak.  Those were going for like $50 WITH fees in the couple of hours before kickoff.   I just couldn't swing it from Dallas after traveling for work all week or I would have been there.  But I'll never understand how Austin, as much as it's grown with no other sports in town, isn't supporting a winning Texas team better.   I think KSU will be a ot better considering it's a huge game with Big Noon kickoff in town but last week was pathetic.

I never saw an announced attendance, but I'd say the east side was only about 80% full. Lots of empty seats. To be fair, it was pretty warm.

Was crowd flow unusually fucked up today?

the UWD concourse was bananas. Missed a good port of the start of the 3rd quarter just trying to get back to my seat  

even San Jacinto outside the stadium got all jammed up after the game - two team buses not parked side to side (not back to back) and a parked box truck created a huge bottleneck.

do they have anyone that looks at this shit and not see problem before it is one?

I am probably a worry wort, but I worry sometimes something tragic might happen one day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought yesterday was by far the best Gameday experience this year. By FAR

Heard the band multiple times. Organic crowd noise on defense early and often. Less on air time for field mike douche. Bob Cole was hardly noticed. No stupid Thunderstruck orange smoke show.

It’s almost as if they’ve listened to my incessant bitching about all of the above!

• Hook 'Em 3

I flew down for my first game since LSU 2019. The jumbotron volume and consistent onslaught is insane (including the dumb ass DJ on the field), but otherwise the atmosphere is vastly improved. The student section in particular is miles better compared to when I was in school 06-10. Fun time with this heart attack team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Flying home now.  Outstanding weekend in Austin.  Had about a dozen fraternity brothers in town.  Gameday was great, my nuts were splitting the 45.  Section 29 row 39, great seats.  I come in for  one game a year, no Mrs Jdhorn with me  this year (sorry no pics assholes) , last year TCU and OSU the year before that, so i was due for a W.  Started to get hot by hafltime as the haze/fog was burning off. Noice was manageable, i miss "quarter" and the slippery rock score.

Bathroom lines moved well, food line was not bad, watched the Taffee Int on CCTV waiting for food.  Zero line getting in stadium right at 11am on East Side,  i had to do a double take, no line at all.  Figured the FOx 11 Am game would kick at 11:20 , nope went off at about 5-10 after top of the hour.

We had a great time besides the heart attack!  Joined up with another group after the game in the White tent tailgate area by LBJ, perfect way to end an awesome afternoon.  Got back to JW in time to lay down and see OU get beat before heading to Eberle for dinner.  Hookem!

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Not only was there still the stupid orange smoke after the 3rd quarter, there was bonus blinding white smoke just before kickoff.

And the on field mic guy was just as bad to me.

I’d love to shoot some of these off in the hallway outside of CDC’s office and see how he likes it when his workplace is full of smoke because he seems to think Sark and the team don’t mind. 
12E2CEFA-4AED-44E6-8256-733EF3299E99.gif.e54f3fa1980525aab966692ccc5c821f.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Not only was there still the stupid orange smoke after the 3rd quarter, there was bonus blinding white smoke just before kickoff.

And the on field mic guy was just as bad to me.

Field hype guy has got to go…not only is he obnoxious, but yesterday he went straight to McConaughey and the whole birthday bit right after the Ricky honor…kind of stole the moment.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Field hype guy has got to go…not only is he obnoxious, but yesterday he went straight to McConaughey and the whole birthday bit right after the Ricky honor…kind of stole the moment.  

Also, overlapped into live action.

I think the running clock is cutting into their hype time.

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Crowd was loud yesterday. Never seen the stadium explode like it did on that failed 4th and goal for K State in OT. Complete mayhem and jubilation. 

I remember going pretty crazy in the student section when this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7nSNJiF-m8&ab_channel=trivinity

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Grande Mart said:

I remember going pretty crazy in the student section when this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7nSNJiF-m8&ab_channel=trivinity

I also drunkenly tumbled down the steps in the aisle when Chance Mock led us to victory over Texas Tech. Once again in the student section, although I wasn't then still a student.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A good Sooner friend of mine forwarded a pic his daughter sent of her with friends at the game yesterday. He said she had a blast, so he was disowning her and asked me to write her into my will. It’s good to hear most people saying it was a good atmosphere, despite the DJs  

No, I’m not posting the pic. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

17 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Crowd was loud yesterday. Never seen the stadium explode like it did on that failed 4th and goal for K State in OT. Complete mayhem and jubilation. 

My wife's watch kept going off telling her about noise level being excessive which according to google is 90 decibels for 3 min or more. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, MrBig said:

I’d love to shoot some of these off in the hallway outside of CDC’s office and see how he likes it when his workplace is full of smoke because he seems to think Sark and the team don’t mind. 
12E2CEFA-4AED-44E6-8256-733EF3299E99.gif.e54f3fa1980525aab966692ccc5c821f.gif

Those are cool but I think are better suited for night games....

On 10/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, Longboard Horn said:

On field MC guy may be more annoying than the weather man used to be. 

Was it Orakpo that took his mic and got a huge Texas Fight chant going? 

• Fuck You 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:24 PM, yoladu said:

Was crowd flow unusually fucked up today?

the UWD concourse was bananas. Missed a good port of the start of the 3rd quarter just trying to get back to my seat  

even San Jacinto outside the stadium got all jammed up after the game - two team buses not parked side to side (not back to back) and a parked box truck created a huge bottleneck.

do they have anyone that looks at this shit and not see problem before it is one?

I am probably a worry wort, but I worry sometimes something tragic might happen one day. 

An utter disaster! I was fuming. Buses have usually been parked along the curb. This time, they blocked almost the whole street and forced 50,000 fans to walk through a space a single bus wide, with staff saying they had to keep fans away from the buses so people could load. Except no one was loading and would not be for probably 20 minutes. Blocking 50,000 people's exit so a small group of people can fill 5 buses is so fucking stupid that I cannot adequately express my anger.  Someone should lose their job for that.

It is a huge safety concern as no one could get out, and the bottleneck blocked exiting the upper deck for several floors. I can't believe someone was paid to plan that.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:14 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

reminded me of Swoopes TD against Domers.  Also, I know this has been said but the student section has really come into their own, they are making a difference.

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

An utter disaster! I was fuming. Buses have usually been parked along the curb. This time, they blocked almost the whole street and forced 50,000 fans to walk through a space a single bus wide, with staff saying they had to keep fans away from the buses so people could load. Except no one was loading and would not be for probably 20 minutes. Blocking 50,000 people's exit so a small group of people can fill 5 buses is so fucking stupid that I cannot adequately express my anger.  Someone should lose their job for that.

It is a huge safety concern as no one could get out, and the bottleneck blocked exiting the upper deck for several floors. I can't believe someone was paid to plan that.

When they showed us the new load-in/load-out ingress/egress plan awhile back when the new SEZ opened up, and then showed up the alternate plan...even my dumbass could tell it was a mistake waiting to happen.  If people didn't get physically hurt, they'd at least give each other the flu or lice.  They obviously went with the stupid plan this time around.  I posted on this awhile back, about the chokepoints but was negged for it.  We need a serious, independent overhaul of our logistics and gameday experience.  This is fucked up for an athletic department of our size.

• Hook 'Em 2