Let's talk about opposing fan bases in the SEC and the horns down ...

SimkinsMan

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hate it because it's just so cliched and unoriginal as you said. I'm going to take your sign... and turn it upside down. Boom. It's the equivalent of I'm rubber you're glue. It's thinking you're clever for saying "t.u."

It's also just fucking weird that fanbases we don't play regularly do it. OU does it, I think it's dumb, but I understand it. When I see Alabama do it... what? Do we know you?

When I was in school OU did it some, but it was mainly aggy.  I don't remember it from anybody else.   I don't know who started it, but its a very aggy thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bullet said:

When I was in school OU did it some, but it was mainly aggy.  I don't remember it from anybody else.   I don't know who started it, but its a very aggy thing to do.

I don't really remember even aggy doing it when I was in school.  But then again I don't remember much of anything from when I was in school.

When other schools outside of OU do it, it doesn't bother me but more annoys me.  Feels like they are just copying OU.  Strangely, when Sooners do the horns down, it doesn't bother me and on some weird convoluted level I even respect it coming from a land thief.  I think it has something to do with the length of time Texas and OU have been playing each other and the fact that OU at least has does something in its history in terms of winning championships.  I mean, Alabama certainly has won titles but since they are not an annual game them doing the horns down just feels fake and superficial.  When the old SWC schools and Big XII schools not named OU do it, none of whom have done much of anything in terms of titles, same thing.  Just a bunch of wannabe posers.

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, bullet said:

I was at UT in the early 80s. It started slowly (either when I was in school or right after) with OU, then Arkisaw. All I remember about about aggy picking it up later is that it seemed weird. 

4 hours ago, Smax said:

After Quinns post game interview, he walked over to the fence line to high five Texas fans and there was a young bamer there doing the horns down. Quinn stopped and exchanged a few words with then walked away, curious to what he said. Hopefully it was along the lines of scoreboard 

he told him to just stop it as he was holding up that horn necklace at him 

46 minutes ago, ScottS said:

I don't really remember even aggy doing it when I was in school.  But then again I don't remember much of anything from when I was in school.

When other schools outside of OU do it, it doesn't bother me but more annoys me.  Feels like they are just copying OU.  Strangely, when Sooners do the horns down, it doesn't bother me and on some weird convoluted level I even respect it coming from a land thief.  I think it has something to do with the length of time Texas and OU have been playing each other and the fact that OU at least has does something in its history in terms of winning championships.  I mean, Alabama certainly has won titles but since they are not an annual game them doing the horns down just feels fake and superficial.  When the old SWC schools and Big XII schools not named OU do it, none of whom have done much of anything in terms of titles, same thing.  Just a bunch of wannabe posers.

I always heard it was Arky hillbillies who were the first to do "horns down". But, according to the Daily Texan, the oldest photo on record is of a BU student in 1963. I don't think most okies are creative enough to have invented it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

I always get a kick out of it. How many times have you seen a bull or steer charging? The horns go down when you FAFO. Just ask that little bitch Uga:

spacer.png

This right here. I remember a poster(you?) last year making the same observation. The horns go down right before the head explodes upward goring the fuck out of some idiot who was being an aggravation.

• Hook 'Em 3

I say embrace the shit out of the horns down.  Find a wall near DKR and plaster pictures of fans of every other school doing horns down so we can laugh at them.  Particularly after a win last night.  Put them up like skins won.

It’s like I once told an insufferable aggy friend of mine once, you hate us more than you love yourselves.  He gave me a confused look for a second, then he understood it.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, speed817 said:

Apparently we whining about where the band was sitting last night too.....

Screenshot_20230910-110814.thumb.png.716f95e7c82bea60544e6e542c74717b.png

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cw_hEJLAY_6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

When the clock hit 00.00, our band with the loudest sound in the building and for miles, with the exception of a few trailer homes backfiring on their way out.

• Haha 4

One altercation outside the stadium involved a group of college girls running up to us. The lead girl yelling “HORNS DOWN CUNT!!!!!!” said with as much anger as you can imagine. I thought it was hysterical.

My friend walked with his horns raised high for at least an hour and a half after the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 89Horn said:

I say embrace the shit out of the horns down.  Find a wall near DKR and plaster pictures of fans of every other school doing horns down so we can laugh at them.  Particularly after a win last night.  Put them up like skins won.

It’s like I once told an insufferable aggy friend of mine once, you hate us more than you love yourselves.  He gave me a confused look for a second, then he understood it.

That's what's so weird about OU doing it.  They actually have accomplishments.  As for aggy, well they won it all in 1939.

3 hours ago, 89Horn said:

I would love a montage at every home game, refreshed yearly and added to as the season goes on, of "how it started, how it ended" of Horns down followed by big plays/final scores. Please queue that up starting at Wyoming. Please and thank you.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, bullet said:

That's what's so weird about OU doing it.  They actually have accomplishments.  As for aggy, well they won it all in 1939.

never thought about it before, but yes, 0u doing it is natural, not weird, just simply the opposite of us

they have trouble with their schooner sometimes, and like aggy their band's repertoire is ..... limited ..... but they don't make commercials about how they are not weird

a fair and proper enemy without their own handsign simply adopted ours

okay then

everyone else just looks stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

When I saw all the Bama fans on the Quad who couldn’t pass a TX fan without not only flashing horns down but saying “ horns down”  

I thought to myself we are in their head. You’re BAMA, you’ve won 6 titles in the last 14 years, your sign should be a big “ we’re number 1” finger and no one could say anything about it. But no, they need to make t shirts with upside down Bevos and spell out “ horns down” on them. 

My 10 YO son was asking why everyone is doing that? I told him that because OU does it All our opponents think it bothers us, but that I can’t really say that it bothers me or most horns fans I know much at all. I think it makes people look stupid and that they are more against us than for their team. 

having said all that, that was a fun scene last night and the secsecsec postgame chant was definitely a big middle finger to the mouth breathers. Glorious!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

minute ago

When I saw all the Bama fans on the Quad who couldn’t pass a TX fan without not only flashing horns down but saying “ horns down”  

I thought to myself we are in their head. You’re BAMA, you’ve won 6 titles in the last 14 years, your sign should be a big “ we’re number 1” finger and no one could say anything about it. But no, they need to make t shirts with upside down Bevos and spell out “ horns down” on them.

My 10 YO son was asking why everyone is doing that? I told him that because OU does it All our opponents think it bothers us, but that I can’t really say that it bothers me or most horns fans I know much at all. I think it makes people look stupid and that they are more against us than for their team.

having said all that, that was a fun scene last night and the secsecsec postgame chant was definitely a big middle finger to the mouth breathers. Glorious!!!

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I honestly think some fanbases do it because they don't have a hand sign of their own, or least not one that's iconic.  

This. Especially on camera, nobody knows what to do with their hands. Unless you're Texas, it's number one or horns down. Alabama fans doing it (almost instinctively) is a sight to behold, and relish. Bring it.

10 hours ago, Smax said:

After Quinns post game interview, he walked over to the fence line to high five Texas fans and there was a young bamer there doing the horns down. Quinn stopped and exchanged a few words with then walked away, curious to what he said. Hopefully it was along the lines of scoreboard 

I hope he said take the loss pussy.

10 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

I always get a kick out of it. How many times have you seen a bull or steer charging? The horns go down when you FAFO. Just ask that little bitch Uga:

spacer.png

This will never not be one of the most awesome things ever.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1