We might be headed to the SEC but we can never embrace the SEC

Thatguy

47 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

You made the comment about racist being everywhere.  I simply inferred you are correct.  The simple fact that in today's world racism is the go to card.  Regardless if it is real or not.  

it is everywhere, but not all individuals are individually racist. In fact many maybe the majority aren't. but wait there's more.

46 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Yes.  Actually we all have.  

this is due to the fact that racism has been systemic and institutional for hundreds of years. The phrase "born on third base" applies to some folks. I'm white, probably born at home plate with the bat in my hand. some born in the dugout hoping the inning doesn't end before they get a chance. others don't even make the team.  stack up hundreds of years of your people not even making the team and you've got a whole lot of baked in disadvantage. and that is the essence of the most consequential racism in America today.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And it’s never a night game.  People aren’t generally really shitfaced drunk en masse, and there are kids and families everywhere and security in broad daylight.

I’ve never been to an LSU night home game, but I know even other SEC fans get squeamish about that.  I’m guessing that much be like a cross between the NFL fan parking lot bumfight videos and a Mad Max movie, except with everyone smelling of moonshine and crawfish.  I’m kind of intrigued.

I want to go to an LSU night game but when they're playing aggy. And while I won't spend money on anything with LSU on it I'll be wearing purple.

I'm really curious what the people watching in that coonass environment would be like

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never really been one for road trips...last one I went to was Ole Miss.  The Grove was cool, people were nice, no shenanigans

I'm at a point/age in my life where my red-head, quick tempered-ness could get me in trouble (and thus my wife, who is actually more meathead than me)

I'm close to 50 but still look young enough to get fucked with, if that makes sense. lol

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I want to go to an LSU night game but when they're playing aggy. And while I won't spend money on anything with LSU on it I'll be wearing purple.

I'm really curious what the people watching in that coonass environment would be like

I could do this. thought about LSU Florida for a while when I was younger. I'll admit the couch is getting more and more comfortable on saturday night. plus no one is going down on you in the stands, but if you play your cards right you can have that happen on your couch.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

That first trip to Starkville or Baton Rouge is probably going to be madness. 

Yeah, Starkville and Baton Rouge have never been in my plans. I had to work on a project in BR for about a year and ended up having to lay the whole team off at the end of it. They're not a deep-thinking collective and the city itself is a shithole. Starkville just seems like a dump and I've been to a few of those in Mississippi, so that box has been checked.

We'll go back to Tuscaloosa in larger numbers. It's a fun place outside of the before and after of the game. Oxford, Nashville, Knoxville, and Athens are trips we'll also take. Have a friend that played for UK, so we'll be with friendlies there, same for Fayetteville. No interest in Mizzou, Gainesville, College Station, or Colombia. Auburn is apparently interesting, so that's the only other consideration.

16 minutes ago, troph said:

it is everywhere, but not all individuals are individually racist. In fact many maybe the majority aren't. but wait there's more.

this is due to the fact that racism has been systemic and institutional for hundreds of years. The phrase "born on third base" applies to some folks. I'm white, probably born at home plate with the bat in my hand. some born in the dugout hoping the inning doesn't end before they get a chance. others don't even make the team.  stack up hundreds of years of your people not even making the team and you've got a whole lot of baked in disadvantage. and that is the essence of the most consequential racism in America today.

Lol. Puppet. 

Edited by tonedeaf
Delete
  • Fuck You 26

4 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Props to the players for not running into the stands and beating the shit out of these idiots.

I've always been impressed by the restraint that players have in regards to shit like this. I'm guessing it's instilled in them early on that hey you're gonna hear a LOT of really bad shit talking but you absolutely have to ignore it. 

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Lol. Puppet. 

I think I'm in a unique position to see and understand this more than most because of my background, though not racism. So when my brothers and sisters who have experienced institutional and systemic racism explain it, I for damn sure listen. I listen because I've experienced the lack of "ism" obstacles for half my life and now I experience "ism" obstacles for no other reason other than certain traits.

The fact that you deny it's existence in your own mind does not change any ounce of reality bro, scratch that, the fact that you deny it's existence further perpetuates the problem.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

They played HS ball, I'm sure they've had their fair share of this crap.  To them, it's another day in the trenches and the crowd is trying to trip 'em up.  They kept their cool, and walked out with their horns up and the W.  

The fans, on the other hand, couldn't get it up for their cousins back at the double-wide.

Just now, PvilleStang said:

They played HS ball, I'm sure they've had their fair share of this crap.  To them, it's another day in the trenches and the crowd is trying to trip 'em up.  They kept their cool, and walked out with their horns up and the W.  

The fans, on the other hand, couldn't get it up for their cousins back at the double-wide.

I bet they were more like, "beat bama, at bama, lots of hot coeds waiting for us back in Austin, don't care."

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

I doubt that behavior happens at just SEC events. You think they don't have racists in the Big 10? Idiots abound everywhere. 

That might be true but most people aren't comfortable enough in 2023 to be yelling stuff like that while surrounded by other people. Those are young voices too. I don't know how other people's kids are but here in the outskirts of Houston where my daughter goes to school kids are terrified of being perceived as racist or homophobic. Sure they might say something off or in a small group, but these kids are actually yelling out racist and homophobic terms where everyone can hear them which usually means they feel like the people around them are in agreement.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, troph said:

I think I'm in a unique position to see and understand this more than most because of my background, though not racism. So when my brothers and sisters who have experienced institutional and systemic racism explain it, I for damn sure listen. I listen because I've experienced the lack of "ism" obstacles for half my life and now I experience "ism" obstacles for no other reason other than certain traits.

The fact that you deny it's existence in your own mind does not change any ounce of reality bro, scratch that, the fact that you deny it's existence further perpetuates the problem.

Good story.  But I am old enough to have lived through and seen blacks at the back of the bus, whites only drinking , blacks in their place after dark, and actual "systemic " racism.  You know,  laws on the books.  It was ugly and awful and I couldn't understand it.  I  was a kid in the 50's.  Just because you have been told it's systemic doesn't mean it is.  That's not denying racism exists,  it's not in the law and it's surely not as prevalent as some want us to think.  Read Thomas Sowell,  shelby steele,  John McWhorter,  Jason L riley , Walter Williams   glen lorry for a different perspective.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 17

3 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Good story.  But I am old enough to have lived through and seen blacks at the back of the bus, whites only drinking , blacks in their place after dark, and actual "systemic " racism.  You know,  laws on the books.  It was ugly and awful and I couldn't understand it.  I  was a kid in the 50's.  Just because you have been told it's systemic doesn't mean it is.  That's not denying racism exists,  it's not in the law and it's surely not as prevalent as some want us to think.  Read Thomas Sowell,  shelby steele,  John McWhorter,  Jason L riley , Walter Williams   glen lorry for a different perspective.  

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Texas native and UT alum here. Also a transplant to Georgia for the past 39 years. Wife's family are all big UGA fans. So I guess  I've seen the belly of the beast.

Get ready for more of what CTJ unfortunately experienced, though with a smidge less wild-eyed anger (for the most part). There's a widespread perception over here that Texans are too rich to be respected and lack the necessary passion to be true football fans. Of course, only a small percentage of these goobers actually attended the school they follow. They really do feel the SEC as a whole is worth rooting for, which is among the most asinine concepts in history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

See I would think the fare would escalate things.  But , my theory is that our series with ou has been so lopsided that they feel bad for us.  Actually I know that first hand as I attended the rrs the last 20 years

We have won 8 of the last 20.  Not sure I would call it all that lopsided.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Aggy rolled up in a shitty old maroon pickup smelling like cow shit with hay blowing out the back. We're pulling up in a Lambo, handing them the keys and our luggage, and telling them to park it close and don't scratch it. 

Pro tip:  Park it right up front and keep the keys.  Handing them the keys?  Huge mistake.  Just drop $100 and you’re golden.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

Reveal hidden contents

I've been to Tuscaloosa for a game before. Our buddies hosted @SydneyCarton, myself and the guy that made the Greg Davis 3rd and 5 graphic for the Alabama/UF game in 2014. Our friends gave us Bama gear and we were good sports and wore it. I bought a grey hat with the crimson elephant logo on it, which I still have and think is pretty cool unto itself. We went to tailgates and bars and the fans were nice, if rowdy. So, I figured I knew what to expect. 

This time around, I just went with my wife. We landed in Birmingham and drove in to town and stayed on Friday night. That evening, while on the wait at Chuck's Fish (which is excellent), we were greeted, and conversed with repeatedly, by well-meaning and very friendly Bama fans. High class folks with their greek children and their friends in tow, all wishing us well and telling us how much they "all like Steve so much". My wife said to me, "wow, these are great fans. they really are shockingly nice hosts."

It was then that I told her she might a) be misreading what was happening and b) to just wait until tomorrow for a better picture. On a), my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty. On b), she got to see everything for herself in sharp relief on Saturday, as did I. This time, wearing UT gear, the gameday fans treated us completely differently. 

I've been to the RRS many times. Watched a game in the Rose Bowl versus USC. Been to Morgantown, College Station (many times), UH, JerryWorld, Fayetteville, the Cotton Bowl, and various other bowl match-ups. Measured against all of those groups, I don't know that I've ever encountered another group of fans on gameday that were a worse representation of the human species.

The amount of hillbillies and frat and sorority dipshits screaming "horns down!" at the top of their lungs while putting the horns down sign one inch from your face was absurd. I didn't see any longhorns giving a shit other than when one of those rubes touched them with the gesture. "Fuck Texas!!!" "Kill yourself if you're from Texas!!" and other comments along the same lines are not comments I've had thrown in my face repeatedly alongside any other fanbase. These are bottom scraping pieces of human shit. 

After the game, things only got worse. We walked back to our car alone and for the first time in my life as a fan, there were several moments in which I was legitimately concerned that we were about to get jumped. This while just walking and saying nothing. Frat guys, white trash buddies with beers in their hands telling my wife she should come hang out with Bama men, a mixed group of face-tatted likely ex-convicts telling me to get the fuck out of their state, and one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That entire fanbase is a collection of entitled bitches who can't handle a loss. They're a pathetic group of dipshits best only visited in larger numbers coming and going than just one dude and one female. Note to self and others when we go back in 2025, 2026, or 2027. 

Got damn.  Has anyone been to Bama and tOSU?  I’d love to hear who is worse.  I’d think Columbus would be hard to top as far as mouth breathing fuckstains…

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Good story? You’re a dismissive fuck. But congrats old man, you win the internets today because I don’t give a shit.

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

State wise Texas fits in far more there than with states like Iowa and Kansas. I remember seeing some racist shit in my time on campus. It's just the way it is. 

Texas is too big for me not to disagree. Texas is like NM, and AZ, it is like LA and AR, and it is like plains states.

20 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Good story.  

CR is that way >>>>>>

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty

Exactly the way it was the first time we played Nebraska up there. Cool folks at the time, but they didn't know what was coming. As we all know, they got nasty in the years to follow.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Did we ever embrace the Big 12? I don't remember too many people even giving that much of a shit about the SWC back in the day.

I don't see our fans eager to imitate Bama or Ole Miss of any of them. We are our own thing, we don't want to be like other fanbases.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Texas/OU is mostly civil because there's a lot of respect between the fanbases, as athletic programs we generally have the same best interests in mind, we have to put up with the same annoying bullshit (like aggy, tech, Nebraska etc.), we usually benefit when the other team is also good (there were years in the B12 where we were the only relevant team on each other's schedule) AND in cities like Dallas we all have to work and live with each other. There are also a lot of OU alums that are from Texas. And shit, our greatest coach ever was from Oklahoma. 

I fucking despise OU's football team - but I generally like their fans that live in Texas okay because they just seem to get it. They are generally realistic about both their team and ours - unlike the goobers towards Houston - and they generally aren't insecure to the point where they act childish or nasty. I've had countless convos where it sort of goes "damn, you guys look good this season" "well - we'll see what happens in Dallas" "yep - good luck" etc. I remember after the 2016 game where they played like shit against another awful Strong team and had already dropped 2 games in noncon, everyone filing out was like "man we both kind of fucking suck". That OU team still won 10 games but you could tell they weren't super jazzed about beating a crappy Texas team by 5 points. I didn't have anyone shoving it in my face or anything like that.

I'm sure folks here have anecdotal experiences about terrible OU fans but I'm sure some OU fans have experiences dealing with shithead Texas fans. 

We're just sort of eternally tied to the hip.

Yeah I've been assistant coaching youth (ute) baseball for several years with a Sooner. In the process, we've become good buddies. He gets it. The only time we talk shit about the other school it's just playful joking. I can't see myself ever doing that with a got damn aggy. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Rep for baseball analogies.

My main experience with the Cotton Bowl game was getting continuously flipped off by ten year olds and the Sooner fans outraged that Texas had paid off the refs to rig the game because it was in Texas or something.

But even though everybody was kind of acting like an asshole, at no point did I feel like I was going to be killed or anything. So I guess that is a plus.

But that was back in the 1990s. Maybe them winning a bunch of the games recently made them nicer.

I think it will be worse for Texas moving into the new conference than for OU regarding how fans/players are treated on the road. The SEC schools think of their conference as a brotherhood. We think of it as a bigger check for us; therefore, we’ll stick out as the school that doesn’t want to fully integrate. We have no intentions of being “brothers” with any of those animals. We walked out of that stadium Saturday evening with our middle fingers extended and we will continue to do so even as we officially become members of the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Some idiot on secrant was ragging on Longhorns chanting secsecsec after the W. He wrote, "Idiots, you'll be in the sec next year". Bunch of fucking inbreds think all of a sudden we'll all become a bunch of sec homers. Only time I'll root for another sec team is if it helps the Horns. As much as it'll hurt, I'll root for the aggys or gooners if it's beneficial for the Horns. 

You had me until the last sentence 

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hide contents

one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That was me. My bad, I meant to put a comma in it as in "Fuck! Texas!" just to express my joy at seeing a fellow Surlster, plus I wanted to hug you and yore purty wife. Mmmm-hmmmmmmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2