Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

This offense has yet to break 40 points. They won’t do it this weekend either. I’m thinking 27-13 type shit 
Sideshow missing a chip shot and everyone who touched a kickoff or punt muffing the ball contributed to that last week...don't think it continues.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Vince's back up that year attempted 11 passes. 

Right. And fans that paid attention were pissed because Mack's backups only ever handed off on dive plays. We never ran scores up when it mattered for BCS calculations and we were good enough to do so. Some live reps would have helped Garrett Gilbert immensely in the NC game after Colt went down.

Fuck Mack Brown.

• Rage+1 3

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude. There will not be 5 undefeated P5 teams. That nonsense is talked about every year around this time and we are lucky if there is even 2.
you should be talking about style points so that a 12-1 texas gets in over a 12-1 FSU or Pac 12 champ with that record. 

Same same. Undefeated. One loss. 2 loss. NFG. Style points matyer and we need to skull fuck errrbidy none of this efficient nice shit 

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 9/24/2023 at 11:38 PM, Sgt Hulk said:
This offense has yet to break 40 points. They won’t do it this weekend either. I’m thinking 27-13 type shit 

Sideshow missing a chip shot and everyone who touched a kickoff or punt muffing the ball contributed to that last week...don't think it continues.

Also who cares? We are still 4-0 with 4 double digit wins. 

There's 16 teams averaging 40+ ppg right now - only 2 of those teams are in the top 5 (FSU and UGA).  FSU has 2 squeakers against BC and Clemson.  UGA was trailing at the half against South Carolina and only scored 24 and have played Ball St, UT Martin and UAB. 

#2 Michigan - 31.8
#3 Texas - 35.0
#4 Ohio State - 34.5

Considering our SOS is pretty high up there, I have no concerns we haven't hit 40 yet.  We should have against Baylor, but like you said, Auburn missed a chip shot and we muffed 2 punts, which took away 2 possessions. 

• Hook 'Em 5

SIAP...  not familiar with this, but probably doesn't factor in strength of their opponents 

Screenshot_20230927-161646_kindlephoto-9916043.png.fb284a2bdf94f346d80719529d947641.png

Screenshot_20230927-161813_kindlephoto-10002741.png.70bd80857a9d2b989798ea51dfcbd142.png

The Havoc Rankings move on to Week 4, where numerous top-25 teams clash in conference play.

This piece takes a look at both sides of the ball to determine the most aggressive defenses and disciplined offenses to trust when investing money at the window.

Havoc is defined defensively as the summation of passes defensed, forced fumbles and tackles for loss divided by the number of plays.

Conversely, Havoc Allowed goes to the offensive side to count interceptions, fumbles and tackles for loss allowed.

Penn State moved into the top slot for Havoc Allowed this week. The Nittany Lions have yet to throw an interception, giving Penn State one of the highest ranks in offensive momentum killers.

Kansas now sits atop the leaderboard for Defensive Havoc, racking up 14 pass breakups and 28 tackles for loss on the season.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-havoc-rankings-week-4-2023

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also who cares? We are still 4-0 with 4 double digit wins. 

There's 16 teams averaging 40+ ppg right now - only 2 of those teams are in the top 5 (FSU and UGA).  FSU has 2 squeakers against BC and Clemson.  UGA was trailing at the half against South Carolina and only scored 24 and have played Ball St, UT Martin and UAB. 

#2 Michigan - 31.8
#3 Texas - 35.0
#4 Ohio State - 34.5

Considering our SOS is pretty high up there, I have no concerns we haven't hit 40 yet.  We should have against Baylor, but like you said, Auburn missed a chip shot and we muffed 2 punts, which took away 2 possessions. 

I also think the offense is far from being fully maximized. 

Baxter and Cook are 5-star talents that are going to get better as the year goes on. That's two weapons that are going to become even bigger weapons by year's end. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm ready to see this 2023 Texas team finally play great at home -- kick ass and dominate!!!

Both the Rice Wyoming games were at times disappointing...

I am not sure if this is the game where we play like a well-oiled machine. KU will pose some defensive challenges, including potentially exposing our lack of speed in the secondary. I will be happy even if we squeak out a win. Same applies to next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

42-21. Kansas will score a garbage time TD to make it seem more respectable. Ewers is finally "on" at home. I think Samders has another great game and Cook is more involved with Worthy catching a bunch of double teams. Also, Brooks will break a couple. 

Defense will look great, again, and keep their QB contained. 

STs will look 💯 as the kids say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I kind of felt like this would happen. We’ve all seen it before. You can even see a little of it here. You can really see on the OU and ATM boards. 

What’s that? Everyone in the media starting to convince themselves that Kansas will not only play Texas tough, but they’re going to pull the upset. They’re going to pull the upset because they have: a dynamic qb; an opponent in Texas that still doesn’t know how to win (nevermind this is being mentioned as something in favor of Kansas!); and apparently a resurgent defense. 

Nothing has changed. Daniels has been known to be the KU starter. Texas knows it has to focus every week to achieve its goals. Kansas’ defense, while still shitty, had nowhere to go but up. 

But, hey, America loves an underdog and the media enjoys talking Texas, whether as a blue blood or a villain or both. It’s all bullshit. Texas is going to roll these guys. Then we get to hear the build up about an angry and resurgent OU out for vengeance as a 9.5 point underdog heading into the RRS. Look at the advanced efficiency statistics!!

This is exactly where I am at regarding this game. As soon as the final whistle sounded in Waco, I immediately started to wonder exactly how bad we would beat America's darling Jayhawks. Their only hope is to slow the game down, and play ball control offense and try to make this a 21-17 game.....unfortunately that ain't their style, and they don't have the horses up front to make that happen. I suspect they will come in fired up and ready to go, and it will take the UT offense about 1/2 a qtr to get going, but then this one turns into a boat race and the Horns have too much horsepower. Texas covers and wins going away 42-13.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I kind of felt like this would happen. We’ve all seen it before. You can even see a little of it here. You can really see on the OU and ATM boards. 

What’s that? Everyone in the media starting to convince themselves that Kansas will not only play Texas tough, but they’re going to pull the upset. They’re going to pull the upset because they have: a dynamic qb; an opponent in Texas that still doesn’t know how to win (nevermind this is being mentioned as something in favor of Kansas!); and apparently a resurgent defense. 

Nothing has changed. Daniels has been known to be the KU starter. Texas knows it has to focus every week to achieve its goals. Kansas’ defense, while still shitty, had nowhere to go but up. 

But, hey, America loves an underdog and the media enjoys talking Texas, whether as a blue blood or a villain or both. It’s all bullshit. Texas is going to roll these guys. Then we get to hear the build up about an angry and resurgent OU out for vengeance as a 9.5 point underdog heading into the RRS. Look at the advanced efficiency statistics!!

“Alabama is going to beat Texas’ ass.” “Obviously, Alabama is down this year.”

”Kansas is hot and is going to upset Texas.” “Obviously, Kansas isn’t really that good.”

”OU is unbeaten and looking for revenge. This is the kind of game Texas loses.” “Obviously, OU was a paper tiger.”

8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I saw an early line released for Texas OU that was -5.5.  Unfortunately, my bookie only takes lines the week of the game. If its anywhere less than 10 on Monday I am going to hammer it to fucking oblivion. It'll probably be more like your 9.5 after this weeks' buttfucking though. 

IMG_3896.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You left out 7 Win Steve.  

• Haha 2

I enjoy their previews, although they got two details wrong (offhandedly called it a night game, and called Byron Murphy a DE)

1:13:20 mark

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/college-football-week-5-picks-and-predictions/id927810876?i=1000629413473

40:53 mark

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/qb-injury-news-at-texas-a-m-matchups-to-watch-in/id1257913963?i=1000629414679

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

You left out 7 Win Steve.  

And Texas Longhorns 2010-2022.

The internal back and forth between donkey kicking the Jayhawks and the high anxiety of upset alert is the PTSD of our collective fanbase after a decade-plus of futility.  I get it.

As for me, I'm just going to enjoy this team every week and believe we'll win each game until this bunch proves otherwise.  I know it's only four games into the season, but I haven't felt that way, even this early, since 2009.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, every single prediction from media/betting sites I've watched has Kansas +17 and has been talking up the Jayhawks. They talk about the 2021 game, but completely dismiss what happened last year. 

This is one of the more fascinating times in recent memory with Texas football. After the last decade of everyone trying to convince themselves (including myself) that Texas is good or trending up, right now people are trying to find a way to convince themselves that Texas ISN'T good. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

They talk about the 2021 game, but completely dismiss what happened last year. 

Last year was the Bijan show -- 243 yards, 4 TDs, 9.7 YPC.  We obviously don't have anything like that this year.  

But, we held the Kansas offense to 14 points on their home field, scoring 7 in the 3rd quarter and 7 in the 4th.  Our defense is much better this year, and we have them at home.  And I think Quinn and his receivers will do much better than 12-21 for 107 yards.

So according to my analytics:  Kansas is not that much better than last season + Texas is much better this season + Game is in Austin + Big Dick Energy at the Surly Tailgate = Mudhole.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

I still feel like I'm living in a dream with this team. Their focussness is on a level I've rarely encounted in my personal or professional life. 

Kansas better come ready.

Ironically, the team being this good makes me have less focusness at work. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

What college football media people are y’all listening to who are predicting a Kansas win? I listened to the Andy Staples pod this morning and both he and the guest (a guy from the AP) talked about how impressed they were with Texas and picked Texas (and Andy I think picked Texas to cover). The only negative mentioned was that last year’s game was all Bijan and he gone, but not in a concern troll way.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's always funny to see the national media or other people try to hype up some stupid narrative for a game, especially when that narrative includes results of previous matchups played by players who are no longer in the program.

Once the ball is kicked off, it's football. Is the Kansas DL full of transfers going to be thinking about last year's game as they are lining up for a 2nd and 4 in the first quarter? Will Christian Jones be grunting extra hard on blocks in the 3rd quarter as he thinks about the 2021 Kansas game?

52 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

What college football media people are y’all listening to who are predicting a Kansas win? I listened to the Andy Staples pod this morning and both he and the guest (a guy from the AP) talked about how impressed they were with Texas and picked Texas (and Andy I think picked Texas to cover). The only negative mentioned was that last year’s game was all Bijan and he gone, but not in a concern troll way.

The ones I've listened to (including the two I posted above, and also SZD) think that while Kansas is good and interesting, Texas is just too good 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hell, we had a few who were nervous before Baylor because “it just seemed ripe for an upset.” WE BLEW THEM OUT 

Even though there was zero fucking precedent for it. I posted this before the game.

Just a reminder that Baylor went 2-5 against Strong and Herman including losing to a 5-7 Texas team in back to back seasons. In fact, the one team that beat Strong, the team that would go on to record the highest poll finish in Baylor history, didn't record an offensive touchdown in the first half of that game. Year over year they kind of do a shitty job at getting up to play us. The last time a top 5 Texas team went into Waco Baylor was down 40 points at halftime. 

So, you know, we'll see what happens I guess. 

Oh - their B12 winning team from 2021 was also down 21-17 at home going into the 4th quarter against yet another 5-7 Texas team. 

There are games on this schedule that make me nervous. Like OU or TCU in FW. Getting nervous about every game and thinking Texas is going to blow it is patently silly at this point. There are shitty teams like Baylor, UH and ISU that are just not going to be able to hang with us as long as we show up and give a shit. As a baseline, if your OL isn't competent you're straight up fucked against this Texas team before the game even starts. If you, doubly, have a shitty backup QB you are really in trouble. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There are games on this schedule that make me nervous. Like OU or against BYU in Provo. As a baseline, if your OL isn't competent you're straight up fucked against this Texas team before the game even starts. If you, doubly, have a shitty backup QB you are really in trouble.

We don’t play BYU in Provo. 

They beat us by 1 with Casey Thompson, Brenden Schooler, BJ Foster, Luke Brockermeyer, Marcus Washington, and a host of other massive liabilities and malcontents either starting or getting significant playing time.

They were spotted like 14 points by Hudson Card as well. 

We have played against Jalon Daniels 3 times now. 

This is the best team they’ll have faced from us in all three matchups.

A large portion of the 10-12 contributors on our defensive front would have to lay an egg for their run game to have the consistent success it needs for this one to be within 10 points. 

Edited by Atticus

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

He did not:

image.png.76bce7d1a48122c6eee21fa998f25d06.png

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I haven't seen anyone outright calling for the upset. They talk about all of the reasons why KU *could* pull the upset while declaring that KU will cover. It didn't start like that on Sunday, but it's gotten there as of this morning.

The folks I'm talking about are the hosts and guests on the XM84 shows. People covering CFB for CBS, ESPN, Fox, and the conference networks plus various school writers. 

Budden and Horowitz were doing it yesterday as did one of their guests. Doering and Hester did the same. Hester joked that the spread was one of those "don't hurt yourself trying to get to the betting websites to pick the dog" spreads. Ferrell, Childers and Neuheisel discussed the premise this morning. 

Many have posited that KU will be a popular "super dog" pick this weekend. 

This stuff evolves over the week as the talking heads crave fresh narrative. I expect picks outright for KU on either Gameday or Big Noon or both. 

Meanwhile, both Michigan (at Nebraska -16.5) and Alabama (at Miss State -14.5), two teams that have done far less than Texas this year, are on the road with similar spreads to Texas' at home and will not have a single soul pick against them as people log their picks on the shows.

I'm not complaining. It's just a typical thing I've come to expect with Texas having been so up and (mostly) down for 13 seasons.

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Ironically, the team being this good makes me have less focusness at work. 

I forget the dudes name that used that term. Bill in Sinton? But here’s some trivia. I held the Twitter focusness user name for many years. I think I finally dumped it or lost the password to the account. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I don’t want to get too transitive here, but if TCU scares you, Oregon ought to terrify the hell out of you. 

That's pretty transitive. You're talking about a fresh, under the radar CU with Travis Hunter and a TCU team that looks like it's gotten better since week 1.

The point is that there are tests for this Texas team that should be circled on the schedule. The idea that we were going to eek out a win in Waco last week or that Kansas is going to hang 40 on this D is pretty unfounded and not a reflection of what this Texas team has shown. 

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

That's pretty transitive. You're talking about a fresh, under the radar CU with Travis Hunter and a TCU team that looks like it's gotten better since week 1.

The point is that there are tests for this Texas team that should be circled on the schedule. The idea that we were going to eek out a win in Waco last week or that Kansas is going to hang 40 on this D is pretty unfounded and not a reflection of what this Texas team has shown. 

Every Saturday should be circled. That’s why Texas is going to rain fresh hell on TCU.

I haven’t seen much against the likes of Nichols State, Houston, and SMU that indicates any such thing, but I suppose we’ll see how it goes when the game gets here. 

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP...  not familiar with this, but probably doesn't factor in strength of their opponents 

Screenshot_20230927-161646_kindlephoto-9916043.png.fb284a2bdf94f346d80719529d947641.png

Screenshot_20230927-161813_kindlephoto-10002741.png.70bd80857a9d2b989798ea51dfcbd142.png

The Havoc Rankings move on to Week 4, where numerous top-25 teams clash in conference play.

This piece takes a look at both sides of the ball to determine the most aggressive defenses and disciplined offenses to trust when investing money at the window.

Havoc is defined defensively as the summation of passes defensed, forced fumbles and tackles for loss divided by the number of plays.

Conversely, Havoc Allowed goes to the offensive side to count interceptions, fumbles and tackles for loss allowed.

Penn State moved into the top slot for Havoc Allowed this week. The Nittany Lions have yet to throw an interception, giving Penn State one of the highest ranks in offensive momentum killers.

Kansas now sits atop the leaderboard for Defensive Havoc, racking up 14 pass breakups and 28 tackles for loss on the season.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-havoc-rankings-week-4-2023

Oh, we know all about havoc.

shaka-smart-texas-basketball-forde-minut

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 5

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Every Saturday should be circled.

Well yeah, for the coaches and players no shit. I'm saying that if you're a fan looking at the remaining games and trying to find a loss or two there are obvious standouts. This Texas team doesn't appear to be in a hurry to find losses that no one was even considering unlike a lot of recent Texas teams. 

If you think TCU is super shitty and we're going to roll them in FW that's your prerogative - all I'm saying is that it is pretty obviously one of the bigger games remaining. I'm not even entertaining the idea that Tech, BYU or UH finds a way to beat us. 

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Did not realize Texas ranking for scoring TDs in the red zone is so terrible. 

That's partly because half of our offensive TDs have been from outside the redzone.  It's a weakness but not as bad as it looks.  We are much more explosive this year than in years prior.  

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic