Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

No gore in this video clip, but it really got to me. The young woman at the beginning seemed at first to not be taking it seriously and just the kind of griping you'd expect from a young person whose party got busted (it's all in Hebrew, I guess, but that's how it sounds, not understanding a word of it). Things change fast when the gunfire starts. The sheer terror this young woman experiences is just heartbreaking. Since we're seeing her video, I hope it means she got out.

Thanks to @Patricio Swayze for the reminder this subreddit exists. He's right. There's tons of footage -- some we've already seen. I'm posting this one specifically to remind us of their/our humanity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

Personal account from on of the people at the peace festival 

Yeah there ain't gonna be much left of Gaza or the Palestinians after this.  That kinda savagery demands a response.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m pretty shocked to see the vehement response from Palestinian supporters across Euro and US and Canada. Israeli-Palestinian relations had gone dormant for the last 10 years or so. From my somewhat-educated observations. These supporters just don’t have a leg to stand on. Im wondering if we’re seeing the beginnings of a much larger global conflict. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Do people care about the thousands of those vermin that were in the streets of New York City celebrating terrorism yesterday?

Piss off man.  You only care about your bottom line.  You and your “ilk” as you would put it don’t give a flying fuck about anything except yourself.  Go fight for something in person instead of bilking humanity.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Look, the point I was trying to make is that there isn't a good guy and a bad guy in this thing.  There really isn't.  It's just sold to us that way on our news.  What Israel has done to Gaza for the last 16 years has been called a war crime by many.  Does that justify what Hamas just did?  Of course not.  It's sickening.  I don't condone what Hamas did, and if you'd followed my many posts over the years, you'd know that I have a *massive* problem with radical Islam.  My point was that I don't understand how any American takes sides in this issue, unless s/he doesn't understand it very well.  The only good guys here are all the innocent civilians being killed on both sides.  Both sets of leadership absolutely suck.  

And, I reserve the right to criticize Israel without being labeled an anti-Semite, thank you very much.  There are Jewish people in my family, you simpleton.

Now, again, please stop putting words in my mouth so I can leave this ridiculous thread.  You can have it, dude.

Hey guy, when one side (Hamas) is murdering, kidnapping, and raping women and children they are the bad guy.  Glad I could clear that up for you. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

Ugh. It's already been difficult but I have a sick feeling it's going to be a challenge to mentally cope with all that's going on with this and Ukraine all at once. There's nothing worse than a wanna-be despot with feelings of inadequacy (edit and who has the need to distract from his own failings) but who now has to prove he's up for a big fight.

image.thumb.png.91acaef1e47ddb425eb549d388d600f4.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

cross posting this from the cr thread in response to your tweet.

israel is faced with deciding whether it wants to buck the notion that there is no military solution to counterterrorism.  it's not that there isn't a solution...it's just that it is not palatable to most of the western world.  other parts of the world have less queasiness about it.  ask the tamil tigers in sri lanka.  but roughly 20k civilians were killed as a result.

if israel goes this route, they are going to have to be ready to go full out war because such action will result in a full engagement of iran not only through hamas but also from the north through hezbollah who has a whole bunch (between 100k-150k) of long range missiles that can overwhelm the iron dome...as well as militants in the west bank engaging.  with that type of three front situation, israel will be potentially forced into engaging iran directly in order for it to pressure iran to call off its henchmen. 

the magnitude of the civilian hostages that were seized makes the calculus much more complex in the near term.  if third party back channels don't do a lot of work to get some resolution on this and finding some fall guy trophies, this is going to get even nastier.  the u.s., gulf state, and iran unofficial lines of communication need to get something done.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I always thought this was as good an explanation as I've hard on the issue, at least as can be covered in a 12 minute "crash course." I do think he underplays religion's role in all of this, but I think he's right that the land and existence of two separate states is the bigger catalyst. His conclusion that the Palestinians have been effectively living under a military occupation while being denied a legitimate state is a huge issue that drives certain factions to terrorism. The entire western world has continue to tell them that Israel is right and that their grievances are irrelevant, and any action to try and earn those rights will be war against them. People are at the end of their ropes and with nothing to lose atrocities become a viable, and to some the only, option to be heard. At this point it almost feels like they're at the "fuck it" stage. They know they'll never get any semblance of a state and that any war against them is a foregone conclusion that they lose so they are just fucking shit up in the worst possible way. It's heartbreaking that there seems to be no viable solution.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I always thought this was as good an explanation as I've hard on the issue, at least as can be covered in a 12 minute "crash course." I do think he underplays religion's role in all of this, but I think he's right that the land and existence of two separate states is the bigger catalyst. His conclusion that the Palestinians have been effectively living under a military occupation while being denied a legitimate state is a huge issue that drives certain factions to terrorism. The entire western world has continue to tell them that Israel is right and that their grievances are irrelevant, and any action to try and earn those rights will be war against them. People are at the end of their ropes and with nothing to lose atrocities become a viable, and to some the only, option to be heard. 

Return the Levant to the Akkadians. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

When I was young I read the IDF reserve was highly trained and very large.  Is that true?  Have they been called up?

Pretty much every able body in Israel serves in the military. That means that almost every able person has military experience. After leaving the military everyone is put into the reserves and train 1 month per year until the age of 40. There are 465,000 reservists in Israel and 300,000 have been called up this time.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep12108.14?seq=2

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It is insane that this is popping up in colleges in the West. 

I get the support for Palestinians as a whole, but there is a disgusting amount of glorification of terrorism going on. 

They would be kicked out of school if they did this against blacks. I think the same thing should happen against Jews.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

No gore in this video clip, but it really got to me. The young woman at the beginning seemed at first to not be taking it seriously and just the kind of griping you'd expect from a young person whose party got busted (it's all in Hebrew, I guess, but that's how it sounds, not understanding a word of it). Things change fast when the gunfire starts. The sheer terror this young woman experiences is just heartbreaking. Since we're seeing her video, I hope it means she got out.

Thanks to @Patricio Swayze for the reminder this subreddit exists. He's right. There's tons of footage -- some we've already seen. I'm posting this one specifically to remind us of their/our humanity.

There really is no appropriate response other than a very heavy handed one, come what may. So so sad for these people. Totally caught by surprise in just a hellacious whirlwind. 

Edited by Boss Hogg

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m pretty shocked to see the vehement response from Palestinian supporters across Euro and US and Canada. Israeli-Palestinian relations had gone dormant for the last 10 years or so. From my somewhat-educated observations. These supporters just don’t have a leg to stand on. Im wondering if we’re seeing the beginnings of a much larger global conflict. 

I believe so.

But… I’ve thought that before 

22 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It's likely protected speech.  

That's all well and good and I do agree that speech in general should be protected, no matter how vile it is.

But at the same time, schools and students are demanding the cancelling and firing of professors who dare to say such controversial things such as "biological sex is binary" while this stuff is going unchecked mere days after a wide-scale terrorist attack..

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sidis said:

if israel goes this route, they are going to have to be ready to go full out war because such action will result in a full engagement of iran not only through hamas but also from the north through hezbollah who has a whole bunch (between 100k-150k) of long range missiles that can overwhelm the iron dome...as well as militants in the west bank engaging.  with that type of three front situation, israel will be potentially forced into engaging iran directly in order for it to pressure iran to call off its henchmen.

I have no idea of what offensive or defensive capabilities Israel has vis-a-vis Iran, Hamas, or Hezbollah but my impression is Netanyahu has been railing for a chance to go after Iran for years and the US is what's stopped him. With the terrorist attacks by Hamas however the US just lost all leverage. IMO Israel isn't planning on stopping after they decimate Hamas but time will tell.

41 minutes ago, Parliament said:

When I was young I read the IDF reserve was highly trained and very large.  Is that true?  Have they been called up?

Netanyahu's primary focus has been on changing Israel's justice system so he can avoid serving time in prison. https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-chief-warns-netanyahu-that-reservist-protest-refusals-could-spread-in-military The protests have been massive and have included many reservists. Reportedly thousands were refusing service but I imagine that changed over the weekend.

image.thumb.png.0db412fcd2df8ff0147858f721f55d7d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It is insane that this is popping up in colleges in the West. 

I get the support for Palestinians as a whole, but there is a disgusting amount of glorification of terrorism going on. 

I don’t understand that at all.

Penelope has negged every one of my posts on CR. I have her on ignore. @immamac I think it’s about time for me to exit. Nuke my account. This board stifles any conversation, and I don’t ever wanna post here again. 

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That's all well and good and I do agree that speech in general should be protected, no matter how vile it is.

But at the same time, schools and students are demanding the cancelling and firing of professors who dare to say such controversial things such as "biological sex is binary" while this stuff is going unchecked mere days after a wide-scale terrorist attack..

when did he make those signs?