Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

So maybe in 2 weeks it will be completely gone.. Its one reason I dont use these until about week 8.. 

They're useful for gambling, but if you're just looking at matchups, ESPN's is an adjusted EPA metric based only on this season's data

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/sort/efficiencies.defefficiencyrank/dir/asc

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Cook was pretty good in 2021-22. Whatever Orlando was asking of him wasn’t working but he was pretty effective as a nickel/safety under PK.

This. Obviously you lean on the run game a bit more than normal but you have to run the full offense. And frankly Sark clearly curtailed the vertical elements of the offense this year given Ewers’s struggles in that department. If anything my worry is he’s going to get deep shot happy with a new QB with a big arm.

Just a thought, but this may change the identity of the Texas offense. Right now Texas is a pass first offense. This might change that. Texas may become more of  a run team with play action shots (that was more the identity of Sark's 1st 2 teams). Less RPOs and more play-action, which will probably fit Maalik better. Less decision making and Maalik has a slower release, than Quinn 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

like the first one in, last one out comments by 2 players.  I'm ready for the BYU fans to leave the stadium going "who the fuck was that guy? he's the backup?"  lord knows I've left it like that enough over the last decade+ and OU games.

Went to an Oilers game against Green Bay and was pumped Don Majikowski (sp?) was hurt and his unproven backup would start.  And that SOB made play after play to beat my team.  Was Brett Favre.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

IT with all the quotes on Maalik from the team. Most interesting is that Jahdae actually says he thinks Maalik will run more. He may beat the statue allegations after all.

Hide contents

With it likely that Maalik Murphy will be under center on Saturday for the Texas Longhorns versus the BYU Cougars, Texas players were asked Monday what they had seen and what they expect from Murphy should he make his first career start. 

Here’s what they had to say.

Xavier Worthy

+ “Maalik is always the same Maalik. Maalik has always been ready for the role, just in case anything happened. Now that it happened, I feel like he’s ready for that role.”

+ “He’s just a confident person. I feel like he just has that confidence regardless of what’s going on. I feel like he’s just going to do what he needs to do and execute at a high level.”

+ He’s got a rocket arm.”

Jahdae Barron

+ “I feel like he’ll run the ball a little bit more. I like that about him, but his size allows him to get the ball out there. He likes to zip it. They like to throw a little bit different; Quinn (Ewers) has a touch, Maalik is kind of a fastball person. Y’all will see, he has a lot of power. He’s a strong, athletic kid.”

Michael Taaffe

+ “He’s the first one in the building, last one out. I think everybody would say the same thing. Hands down one of the hardest workers on our team. I think his confidence in himself to just know he can make every throw on the field is really, really cool. The other thing is, the whole locker room loves him. Everybody in the locker room would say that they have a personal connection with Maalik. That’s really cool. He’s not a people pleaser but he’s a positive guy. Everybody attracts towards him, wants to be around him, and wants to be his friend. That’s really cool as a teammate.”

+ “He knows that we’re behind him and that we’re rooting for him. The defense will make sure we help and take off a load from him so he can play freely. I know the offense is behind him with that.”

Jonathon Brooks

+ “We practice for these moments, and I feel like he’s ready for the moment. He practices week in and week out like the starter. He’s the first one in the facility, last one out. He does all the extra work, and I think he’s mentally ready for it.”

+ “Maalik, he knows the offense just like Quinn does. He can make throws Quinn makes. (We’re) making sure we instill confidence in him, letting him know he can get the job done, and that we’ll be there to back him up.”

Jaylan Ford

+ “He does a good job of understanding, especially as the quarterback, that people are going to listen to what he has to say. He knows how to do the right thing and say the right thing.”

Christian Jones

+ “I think he’s ready because of the work he’s put in behind the scenes every single day in the offseason. He’s always the last one to leave the facility, the locker room, the weight room, putting in extra work. I feel like the moment is not too big for him. I feel like he’s ready for it. I know as a unit, (and) as an offensive lineman myself, we’re going do everything in our power to give him ample time and make him as comfortable as possible to succeed in that position.”

David Gbenda

+ “He’s a good dude. He has a really good arm, and he has a leadership quality about him. He’s very charismatic. He’s competitive. If he gets the deep ball on you, he’s going to let you know that he does. I like that energy about him. He showcases his arm many times at practice. I’m very confident and happy for the opportunity that’s in front of him.”

Lines up with what players were saying in the spring and fall when they brought him up.  Remember a Peyton Kirkland radio interview when he mentioned Maalik knows where everyone is supposed to be and is a vocal leader.   

Now whether that all translates when the lights come on and defenses are blitzing him is another story.  Hopefully this squashes the talk that he has somehow failed to learn the offense in 2 years he’s been here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Diamonte Tucker Dorsey said on Monday’s livestream that Maalik has “the it factor” and that the whole team rallies around him. 

He also said that the defense is content to let opposing passing games complete crossing routes in front of them because that’s the design of the defense. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Diamonte Tucker Dorsey said on Monday’s livestream that Maalik has “the it factor” and that the whole team rallies around him. 

He also said that the defense is content to let opposing passing games complete crossing routes in front of them because that’s the design of the defense. 

Shallow crossing routes seem to be the en vogue thing for offenses this season. Plus, our linebackers were absolutely intent on not letting Donovan Smith run last game, and I think that is the thing they were prepared to live with. I saw both linebackers shooting up into the line the moment Smith even thought about running. It is probably PTSD from the Tech game where he just kept converting 4th downs over and over with his legs.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just watched some of Tech-BYU

-BYU had 277 yards of offense and I bet almost a 1/3rd of that came on missed tackles. Was a dismal tackling performance for Tech.

-BYU offense is very conservative with a ton of short/intermediate stuff out of empty.

-They can't run the ball worth a damn but the OL is a pretty good pass blocking unit. 1st round pick at LT (transfer from Oregon I believe).

-Tough to get a true gauge on the skill of the BYU defense because the Tech QB was so bad and kept handing them the ball.

-They were running a ton of single high safety against Tech, probably because they didn't respect the downfield passing game at all.

-For being such a poor offense, their WR group actually didn't look too bad to me. Lassiter and Chase Roberts are solid and they throw to the TE quite a bit.

-Kicker looked good to me for a guy with only 8 attempts on the year.

-They might have one of the best punters in the country. Can absolutely boom it.

• Hook 'Em 7

38 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

awesome.   crossing routes that gain 12 yards, is a bad idea methinks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

-BYU had 277 yards of offense and I bet almost a 1/3rd of that came on missed tackles. Was a dismal tackling performance for Tech.

-BYU offense is very conservative with a ton of short/intermediate stuff out of empty.

-They can't run the ball worth a damn but the OL is a pretty good pass blocking unit. 1st round pick at LT (transfer from Oregon I believe).

-Tough to get a true gauge on the skill of the BYU defense because the Tech QB was so bad and kept handing them the ball.

-They were running a ton of single high safety against Tech, probably because they didn't respect the downfield passing game at all.

-For being such a poor offense, their WR group actually didn't look too bad to me. Lassiter and Chase Roberts are solid and they throw to the TE quite a bit.

-They might have one of the best punters in the country. Can absolutely boom it.

So 375 yards passing it is 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

like the first one in, last one out comments by 2 players.  I'm ready for the BYU fans to leave the stadium going "who the fuck was that guy? he's the backup?"  lord knows I've left it like that enough over the last decade+ and OU games.

I’ve heard that ____ is the first one in, last one out about 5-10 guys on the team at this point 

They always say that about X too 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

awesome.   crossing routes that gain 12 yards, is a bad idea methinks.

If they clamp down in the red zone - who gives a shit?  Texas is 17th in the country in points allowed - yeah that didn't hold up against Houston - but overall this has been a good defense at keeping opponents out of the end zone.

For years people in Chicago bitched about Lovie and the Tampa 2 defense because they gave up easy yards across the middle - but the whole point was to make the offense have to methodically work their way down the field.  Ideally this team would be better at creating turnovers, but regardless once the field shortens they have been clamping down on offenses.  

Texas defense is 25th in the nation in Stop Rate and 18th in Points per Drive

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Shallow crossing routes seem to be the en vogue thing for offenses this season. Plus, our linebackers were absolutely intent on not letting Donovan Smith run last game, and I think that is the thing they were prepared to live with. I saw both linebackers shooting up into the line the moment Smith even thought about running. It is probably PTSD from the Tech game where he just kept converting 4th downs over and over with his legs.  

It was more a comment that forcing them to throw SHORT underneath all game is a win. It’s also highly dependent on making the tackle and limiting YAC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We're screwed.

J/K.  So long as Taysom Hill does not magically have another game of eligibility, I think Texas is fine.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I’ve heard that ____ is the first one in, last one out about 5-10 guys on the team at this point 

They always say that about X too 

What the dont tell you is that it is a Texas Death Match in the parking lot every morning where guys are beating the shit out of each other with chairs and tire irons trying to be the first one in. The building that day. It is great for team chemistry.

• Haha 1

Good news:

This will be the first BYU game in a long time where their QB doesn't smoke us on the ground. 

Bad news:

Get ready for some of the softest coverage bailing out at the snap playing off the heels you've ever seen. The entire secondary other than the freshmen are banged up. Hopefully without having to worry about QB run Ford can really get into coverage. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It was more a comment that forcing them to throw SHORT underneath all game is a win. It’s also highly dependent on making the tackle and limiting YAC. 

Normally that would be the idea, but because they were so worried about him running, it was opening the windows behind the backers instead of in front. It was a gamble, but it was also a way to get our guys off the field if we got into a shootout. If they scored, it would be in 7 plays not 15. Since we were so thin at DB  our guys would have been gassed.

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Ah the old "bend and then break" defense. Excellent scheme 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Frick. They will say who the Frick was that guy. Or maybe who was that freakin guy. 

On 10/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, Nicole44 said:

You can be ass in offense and still win a lot of games. Look at Iowa. 

Most of the noted criticism of BYU in this thread is fair. We have lots of issues & weaknesses. Despite those -- and being #124 in total offense (301.9 yards per game) and #74 in scoring offense (27.6 points per game) -- we have a turnover margin of plus-9, #3 in the country, and a good scoring efficiency in the red zone (#23 in red-zone offense). BYU is #14 in fewest penalty yards, #24 in fewest turnovers lost and #22 in net punting. Those other little things have made a big difference for us. We need to continue playing clean vs Texas.

We do have a new DC who plays a far more aggressive defense than we have had in years. I'm sure he will go hard after your new QB. Our corners are pretty good, but our safety position is beat up and we are way down the depth chart here. If Maalik can handle the pressure and make us pay when we blitz, y'all will probably win. If not, and we force some turnovers, then maybe BYU pulls off the upset. 

I've said elsewhere that I have a hard time predicting this game. I could see you destroying us but I can also see us playing well enough to win. I'm sure Sark will not overlook us. 

And one more thing, this team is not just a bunch of old white guys, although we have a few. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crockett said:

Most of the noted criticism of BYU in this thread is fair. We have lots of issues & weaknesses. Despite those -- and being #124 in total offense (301.9 yards per game) and #74 in scoring offense (27.6 points per game) -- we have a turnover margin of plus-9, #3 in the country, and a good scoring efficiency in the red zone (#23 in red-zone offense). BYU is #14 in fewest penalty yards, #24 in fewest turnovers lost and #22 in net punting. Those other little things have made a big difference for us. We need to continue playing clean vs Texas.

We do have a new DC who plays a far more aggressive defense than we have had in years. I'm sure he will go hard after your new QB. Our corners are pretty good, but our safety position is beat up and we are way down the depth chart here. If Maalik can handle the pressure and make us pay when we blitz, y'all will probably win. If not, and we force some turnovers, then maybe BYU pulls off the upset. 

I've said elsewhere that I have a hard time predicting this game. I could see you destroying us but I can also see us playing well enough to win. I'm sure Sark will not overlook us. 

And one more thing, this team is not just a bunch of old white guys, although we have a few. 

spacer.png

That pic looks like an ADHD convention. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

We do this every week. Take the absolute worst the opponent has looked all year and extrapolate that into expected performance going forward. Then during the game, anything not going our way is completely unexpected and a failure to prepare and a failing of character for us

IMG_0670.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pops said:

Frick. They will say who the Frick was that guy. Or maybe who was that freakin guy. 

I have a really good relationship with an in-house lawyer in a company that's a good client of mine.  He's Mormon, and over the 14 or so years I've worked with him, I've gradually heard him say "bullcrap" on a fairly regular basis, which is the only swear word I've heard him utter.  Apparently "shit" is crossing the line with him, because on a rare occasion he might send an email frothing about a case and us the term "bulls--t," but has never spelled it out.  I still consider his use of the term "bulls--t" in emails to be positive growth. 

4 hours ago, Crockett said:

spacer.png

What's the injury situation?

47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I have a really good relationship with an in-house lawyer in a company that's a good client of mine.  He's Mormon, and over the 14 or so years I've worked with him, I've gradually heard him say "bullcrap" on a fairly regular basis, which is the only swear word I've heard him utter.  Apparently "shit" is crossing the line with him, because on a rare occasion he might send an email frothing about a case and us the term "bulls--t," but has never spelled it out.  I still consider his use of the term "bulls--t" in emails to be positive growth. 

mash reading haters comments GIF

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

We do this every week. Take the absolute worst the opponent has looked all year and extrapolate that into expected performance going forward. Then during the game, anything not going our way is completely unexpected and a failure to prepare and a failing of character for us

We do this every week with our own team as well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Crockett said:

spacer.png

oh great, now BYU has old black guys too.  FML. and get ready to go into the top 10 in fewest penalty yards.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

What's the injury situation?

We have some key injuries, but it's not too bad. One of our best LBs, Ben Bywater, is out. Current starting safeties were 3rd string at the start of the season. We have been short a couple of receivers and a RB, but they may be back for the UT game. 

• Hook 'Em 3