Texas vs. byu - 2:30pm on ABC

Pancho

It's not often that you watch a full game frustrated as hell, and then look at the scoreboard and you've won by 29 points. A ton of ugly spots, and a lot that needs to be worked on. But we're in a pretty good place if we can look at a win by almost 30 and not feel fucking fantastic about it

Happy with how Maalik looked. took a few mph off of the short passes which needed to be done. A few beauts. The turnovers weren't pretty. I'd put a lot of the int on the miscommunication/early snap + pressure. And the fumble wouldn't have happened if Brooks/RG didn't fuck each other up and that dude was blocked. 

Red zone/goal line is the biggest thing that needs to be fixed. Bit our ass against OU. clearly wasn't going to be a difference maker in this game, but can't have 1st & G inside the 5 and come up empty once a game, let alone twice. Eventually, those points are going to lose us a game. Either figure out how to pump it into the endzone or take the three. I do wonder if they were being careful with Maalik and doing whatever possible to avoid injury because if there's a QB out there that I think could get across the line inside the 2, he is the prototype.

29 point win. Good stuff. Am i fully confident about KSU next week? fuck no. Do I think that we have more talent and should win that game. Fuck yes. Still control our destiny from what I can tell. Take care of business. win out, win the big 12 and I think we're in. If they leave us out then we can come back here in a few months and bitch and whine about how the committee fucked us and chose ____ instead. 

Edited by NYCHORN2013
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I had to take the kid to the park for a bit and was watching the score on my phone. Did we have a touchdown that got taken off the scoreboard in the third maybe early fourth quarter?

If you were looking at espn.com I saw the same thing during a couple of the early games. Points would be taken off the board. Fuck espn.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I had to take the kid to the park for a bit and was watching the score on my phone. Did we have a touchdown that got taken off the scoreboard in the third maybe early fourth quarter?

Could've been the wheel to Brooks that was initially called a tuddy but got reviewed and put on the 2. Only thing i can think of. 

• Like 1

Defense was great. Maalik was okay but he needs more work and his passes will get better. KSU will not be a push over like BYU was. He has no margin for error with them. Sark was dumb and didn't take the points twice again. Just take the points. Brooks not getting 100 yards again pisses me off. Use him, Sark. Stop over thinking it. Glad Baxter and Blue got in for some yards. Run the ball Sark. It's not that hard. Stop making it so difficult. Great job by Maalik to take the reigns and do what was needed to beat an inferior opponent that's been a thorn in this program's side for over a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jw4381 said:

So 44-6 win if Sark takes 3 field goals. 

Maybe he will take the points next week? I sure as hell would. But I don't get paid $6 mil to make those calls do I? I submit that I do not.

What's more important, scoring 44 pts or practicing goal line offense against an inferior opponent? I'm pretty damn sure Sark will take the 3 against KSU unless Texas has to have 7 to tie/win. Although I'm not sure if there's anything other than roids that will help the OL get more push.

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

What's more important, scoring 44 pts or practicing goal line offense against an inferior opponent. I'm pretty damn sure Sark will take the 3 against KSU unless Texas has to have 7 to tie/win. Although I'm not sure if there's anything other than roids that will help the OL get more push.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d77xkq4qn4yuzn0m5its

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

Defense was great. Maalik was okay but he needs more work and his passes will get better. KSU will not be a push over like BYU was. He has no margin for error with them. Sark was dumb and didn't take the points twice again. Just take the points. Brooks not getting 100 yards again pisses me off. Use him, Sark. Stop over thinking it. Glad Baxter and Blue got in for some yards. Run the ball Sark. It's not that hard. Stop making it so difficult. Great job by Maalik to take the reigns and do what was needed to beat an inferior opponent that's been a thorn in this program's side for over a decade. 

Brooks is not a heavy carries guy. We didn't need to run him a bunch in this game, and his body is happy about not getting all those hits yesterday after getting 28 touches last week.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Brooks is not a heavy carries guy. We didn't need to run him a bunch in this game, and his body is happy about not getting all those hits yesterday after getting 28 touches last week.

Okay then get more Baxter, Blue, and Red in the game. Red was getting pretty good chunks of yardage when he was in. Against KSU, we have got to control the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

Brooks not getting 100 yards again pisses me off. Use him, Sark. Stop over thinking it. Glad Baxter and Blue got in for some yards. Run the ball Sark. It's not that hard. Stop making it so difficult. 

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Sark is playing chess.

Continually running straight into the back of our OL that's getting blasted into the backfield over and over and over again is eventually going to open up that play action pass......at some point.

Right?

Wait, are we supposed to be mad we ran too much or not enough?  I wish y’all would make up yalls mind. 

Also Brooks came off hurt at the end of the game. I’m pretty sure it was the smart call not running him anymore.

34 rushing plays to 26 passing (one was a sack) seems about right considering MM was getting his first start 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

What's more important, scoring 44 pts or practicing goal line offense against an inferior opponent? I'm pretty damn sure Sark will take the 3 against KSU unless Texas has to have 7 to tie/win. Although I'm not sure if there's anything other than roids that will help the OL get more push.

IMG_3511.thumb.jpeg.cd283a6bdb0cc044a260cb0fd81c8636.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, jw4381 said:

So 44-6 win if Sark takes 3 field goals. 

So that’s not at all how that works. It’s so weird how posters just add 9 points in FGs to the point total without thinking that the context of those plays have an affect on how the game plays out. 

Part of the calculation of going for it inside the five is if you don’t get it, as long as your defense holds you immediately have great field position, almost back in FG range. 

After Sanders got stopped at the 1, defense forced a three and out and we started the next drive on the 49. It took us 4 plays to get back in the RZ. Shitty red zone offense popped up again but they started their next drive backed up again, threw a pick and then we finally got the touchdown. 

Sark does some dumb shit, but not settling for FGs from inside the 3 really isn’t one of them. “Take the points” is an antiquated take for the olds who don’t believe in math  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So that’s not at all how that works. It’s so weird how posters just add 9 points in FGs to the point total without thinking that the context of those plays have an affect on how the game plays out. 

Part of the calculation of going for it inside the five is if you don’t get it, as long as your defense holds you immediately have great field position, almost back in FG range. 

After Sanders got stopped at the 1, defense forced a three and out and we started the next drive on the 49. It took us 4 plays to get back in the RZ. Shitty red zone offense popped up again but they started their next drive backed up again, threw a pick and then we finally got the touchdown. 

Sark does some dumb shit, but not settling for FGs from inside the 3 really isn’t one of them. “Take the points” is an antiquated take for the olds who don’t believe in math 

Thank you.  I feel like we have the same discussion every year.  The analytics say to.always go for it inside 5.  Especially when you are winning and want to limit the opponent's quality possessions.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The math is not known in our case. But in the 4th quarter, up two scores, a fg makes it a 3 score game. We passed on that twice.

And our short yardage execution and playcalling is really bad. Like near zero chance of success on some plays. Think it was a meathead decision to try to play bully ball with our personnel out there.

With a beaten up line, weak interior play, a raw QB, and no good power back or full back, the math doesnt look so great. You trust MM with playaction down there?

I do like the Red wildcat package but not as much in goal line. You’re not going to be able to outnumber the D there.

Also, our hurry up into short yardage has not been executed well. Didnt with Herman. Doesnt seem to work now.
  • Hook 'Em 2