"The Holdovers" -- new Alexander Payne/Paul Giamatti movie

C-Man

• 2 weeks later...

This was good, REALLY good. It’s going straight into the holiday movie rotation. Giamatti was nomination and winner worthy for his performance. Such a wonderful movie to watch. Highly recommend seeing this. Not enough good things to say about this. Dominic Sessa as Angus was fantastic as well. This movie had my attention from start to finish. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Stoked to hear that review!  One of my best friends from HS produced it, and I'm always pulling for his films.  Did Sound of Metal, Knives Out and Low Down as well.  Super proud of him.

Well your friend nailed it. I told a friend back in Oklahoma to go see it right after I left the showing last night. 

Speed, gentleman! Speed! Without sufficient exercise the body devours itself.

Outstanding flick. Loved the retro vibe with the classic film stock and old-school beginning titles. A great story with instant classic characters set in a very specific world of realism. A very anti-Marvel movie.

• Hook 'Em 3

I went to see this movie again tonight because I thoroughly enjoyed it so much the first time. I gotta say that Dominic Sessa is going to be a GREAT lead in a whole bunch of films over his career. It is so hard to believe this is his first film. So young, but so talented and he more than held his own in all of the scenes with Giamatti. I would go as far as to say he should get a nomination for best supporting actor.

I also want to say what a superb job Da ‘Vine Joy Randolph did in portraying Mary. Her grief was palpable and seeing how she dealt with the trauma of losing her son was emotionally intense, but man she was good. Go and see this movie. Take the two hours and go sit in a theater for this. If Giamatti does not get a best actor for this no one should.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 12:39 AM, UpperWestside said:

I also want to say what a superb job Da ‘Vine Joy Randolph did in portraying Mary. Her grief was palpable and seeing how she dealt with the trauma of losing her son was emotionally intense, but man she was good.

Have heard rumblings of her name being prominent come awards season. Would be well deserved.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I laughed out loud at parts of this, and was brought to tears at others. Da'Vine Joy Randolph was one of my favorite parts of Only Murders, and I hope she gets all the awards for her role as Mary Lamb here. Dominic Sessa was also fantastic. I hope to see much more of him in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recommended this movie to a co-worker that has the AMC pass. Honestly I can’t say enough good things about this movie. It really struck a chord with me. It’ll be a movie I watch every single year during the holidays. Most of us would like more movies from Hollywood like this one or Saltburn. Hopefully the message is coming through  how good stuff like this is to watch.

Pretty cool to see Da’Vine Joy Randolph win for best supporting actress. She was just fantastic in that role. I hope she goes onto many leading roles because she is very talented. She was the exact right person to play alongside Giamatti in this movie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Always love reading about movie goofs on IMDb, this one was pretty glaring… 

The basketball court has a 3-point line painted on it at 19'9". High-school basketball did not adopt the 3-pt line line until 1987, a full 17 years after the movie was set.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Always love reading about movie goofs on IMDb, this one was pretty glaring… 

The basketball court has a 3-point line painted on it at 19'9". High-school basketball did not adopt the 3-pt line line until 1987, a full 17 years after the movie was set.

That’s a pretty good one. I am guessing that because this movie was filmed in parts at I believe six different schools that they just did not pay attention to that detail.

I think how they found Sessa was pretty impressive. Just in the right place at the right time in his life. Young aspiring actors and actresses always talk about luck playing a role in a career beginning and his had a good bit of that. If not for a hockey injury he may never have gotten the acting bug his freshman year of high school.

20 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Pretty cool to see Da’Vine Joy Randolph win for best supporting actress. She was just fantastic in that role. I hope she goes onto many leading roles because she is very talented. She was the exact right person to play alongside Giamatti in this movie. 

Super happy for her.  She's a really great actress.  Although way underutilized, I really liked her in Only Murders in the Building too.

That said, I think her weight will keep her out of most leading roles, but she should get some more great supporting roles with this win.

51 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Super happy for her.  She's a really great actress.  Although way underutilized, I really liked her in Only Murders in the Building too.

That said, I think her weight will keep her out of most leading roles, but she should get some more great supporting roles with this win.

I suppose that it could because there is still an aversion in Hollywood to women that are plus-sized being an A-list lead. There are exceptions, but overall that has been the norm.

I will bet that her talent is such that she can help burst through this glass ceiling and usher in some progress on how women are cast. If men who are overweight can garner leading roles so should women, especially really talented ones.