THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Every rational human being

I mean, FSU had more yards last night with a third string qb, than Michigan did at full health. Rodemaker would be back by the kickoff, and the B1G outside OSU always disappoints. Most likely Michigan wins, but FSU has a salty defense and Michigan are frauds. Stranger things have happened... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I mean, FSU had more yards last night with a third string qb, than Michigan did at full health. Rodemaker would be back by the kickoff, and the B1G outside OSU always disappoints. Most likely Michigan wins, but FSU has a salty defense and Michigan are frauds. Stranger things have happened... 

I mean I agree Michigan are frauds.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas is extremely well-positioned -- couldn't ask for a more fortuitous set up... UW is solid and the best passing threat we'll face, but they'll be traveling ~2,500 miles to face what'll be an overwhelmingly pro-Texas crowd in the Superdome... The winner of Michigan / Bama would then have to face Texas 7 days after their semi in Pasadena in Houston (our backyard)...

With the 12 team playoff introducing more variables, this is likely the best shot we will have at a title...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

42 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Round one I believe it planned to be at the home school of the higher seed....attendance will be fine.   It's the sandwich rounds between those and the finals that will be interesting.

Quarters on NYD will be fine.  its the semi-finals that are a question.

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

ESPN absolutely wants Texas vs Bama. The ratings for that would be amazing.

Washington vs Michigan would be terrible ratings

Michigan gets great ratings for some reason.  

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well he actually picked it last night.  Said he hoped it wasn't so, but expected it to be 1. UM, 2. UW, 3. UT, 4. AL

Talking at my wife about it last night, this is what I said was the dream scenario. Doing her best to look like she gives a shit, hiding the fact that she was calculating how many destination vacations we could've had as a family if not for the years of games and donations, fearing my return to being a godawful wreck as I was '03-'11. Hiding it all and humoring me. Can't ask for more than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I loathe Finebaum but he made a good point on the selection show that the ACC was one of "alliance" members that stood up against early expansion to the 12-team CFP.  We could have had 12 this year and FSU would be in.  I believe the team is "hoisted by their own petard."

Hold on, that needs more context.  Let’s not forget the alliance was formed because the SEC was negotiating with Texas and OU in the dark while also setting up the 12-team playoff. Some would consider that was done in bad faith.

I watched FSU play against UL and UF, so I can see why the committee dropped them. And it’s fine to think fsu simply got screwed, that’s fair too.

But it’s disingenuous to blame the alliance (much less a member institution for the conferences action) for not having a 12-team playoff this year.  

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh god, here we go, candying up the uniforms again.  Just leave them the way they are, and make sure burnt orange is truly burnt orange.

Maybe we should change the jerseys to black? Maybe ALL black uniforms! Including our trademark helmets!! ( kidding.... for those on here that don't obviously understand SARCASM)

image.jpeg.5748da97b115118e8e61fbac7234e9a2.jpeg

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, oh_snap said:

Hold on, that needs more context.  Let’s not forget the alliance was formed because the SEC was negotiating with Texas and OU in the dark while also setting up the 12-team playoff. Some would consider that was done in bad faith.

I watched FSU play against UL and UF, so I can see why the committee dropped them. And it’s fine to think fsu simply got screwed, that’s fair too.

But it’s disingenuous to blame the alliance (much less a member institution for the conferences action) for not having a 12-team playoff this year.  

Fair enough, but the negotiation for TX/OU to move to the SEC and the 12-team CFP are totally different issues.  Regardless of whether it was bad faith or not, the expanded CFP would have significantly helped the ACC.  By getting into their emotions over TX/OU and putting the breaks on the 12-team, the alliance and by extension the ACC fucked themselves.

It's also hilarious to laugh at the so-called "Alliance," when the B1G immediately turned around and fucked a fellow alliance member by raiding them.  "We looked each other in the eyes..." LOL

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

Well then technically if you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at aggy since they are the idiots that leaked the Texas/OU SEC move to try and torpedo it before the CFP expansion vote...

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Fair enough, but the negotiation for TX/OU to move to the SEC and the 12-team CFP are totally different issues.  Regardless of whether it was bad faith or not, the expanded CFP would have significantly helped the ACC.  By getting into their emotions over TX/OU and putting the breaks on the 12-team, the alliance and by extension the ACC fucked themselves.

It's also hilarious to laugh at the so-called "Alliance," when the B1G immediately turned around and fucked a fellow alliance member by raiding them.  "We looked each other in the eyes..." LOL

Right, the leadership of the alliance conferences let themselves get run by the emotion of being pissed "that we haven't been included in this" instead of once they did find out coming to the rationale conclusion of "oh you mean more teams in, potentially more money faster if we get this going sooner rather than later, that isn't so fucking bad."  they let their butthurt run their brains.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Texas v Bama for it all in Houston after we go on the final of our revenge tour and murder Washington 

Our matchup is very tough, I feel good but we will have to play on all cylinders.  I understand that Michigan would have much rather had an easier time with FSU than facing Bama but I don't think them getting beat by Bama is much of a foregone conclusion.  They have a defense that should do very well against the Bama run game and while they don't get much practice at it they have shown when they play tOSU the last few years that they can be good enough to very good against a more advanced passing game.  Milroe's legs are clearly a factor but I think the biggest question is which JJ McCarthy shows up.  The one who has been kind of crap of late or one who has looked pretty damn solid at points over the last two seasons.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Our matchup is very tough, I feel good but we will have to play on all cylinders.  I understand that Michigan would have much rather had an easier time with FSU than facing Bama but I don't think them getting beat by Bama is much of a foregone conclusion.  They have a defense that should do very well against the Bama run game and while they don't get much practice at it they have shown when they play tOSU the last few years that they can be good enough to very good against a more advanced passing game.  Milroe's legs are clearly a factor but I think the biggest question is which JJ McCarthy shows up.  The one who has been kind of crap of late or one who has looked pretty damn solid at points over the last two seasons.  

Oh I agree. We have absolutely the toughest match-up, especially with Penix's laser arm. But Washington will see a totally different team in this year's Texas with Mitchell added. Their D can be exploited. 

Bama vs Michigan will be interesting, especially considering they've played absolutely no one. Bama will by far be their hardest game, and Bama's speed is superior to anything Michigan has faced. Milroe's legs will bail him out. And like you said, which McCarthy is showing up? The one who looks sloppy or the one who drags his nuts over Ohio State?

And whoever faces Texas in the title game if we beat Washington, who is the toughest team in CFB, will break ratings. I think Texas is -4 and is the favorite, so Vegas always knows something. We're also the 3rd best to make the NC game 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

So let me get this straight.

According to the NCAA this is what the 12-team playoff will look like next year: "The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format."

So, if this was next year after the changes in the SEC and B1G we would need to fill out 6 conference champions. That would obviously include ACC, SEC, and B1G. Oregon State from the Mountain West would be the next highest rated conference champion.  Oklahoma State would be in representing the Big 12 as conference champion, but we still need a sixth conference champion. The next highest ranked one is Liberty. You're now down to 6 at-large positions. Let's assume Michigan and Texas are B1G and SEC champs. That means Washington, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State would take four of the six slots and you'd have to choose between Oregon, Missouri, Pedo, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma--all two loss teams-- for the last two spots. Meanwhile, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, and Liberty belong nowhere near a playoff and the first round pairings will be subject to conspiracy theories galore. This will be a clusterfuck going forward.

On the other hand, as long as Texas is Top 6, we either get a bye or high odds for a cupcake first round.

16 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

According to the NCAA this is what the 12-team playoff will look like next year: "The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format."

So, if this was next year after the changes in the SEC and B1G we would need to fill out 6 conference champions. That would obviously include ACC, SEC, and B1G. Oregon State from the Mountain West would be the next highest rated conference champion.  Oklahoma State would be in representing the Big 12 as conference champion, but we still need a sixth conference champion. The next highest ranked one is Liberty. You're now down to 6 at-large positions. Let's assume Michigan and Texas are B1G and SEC champs. That means Washington, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State would take four of the six slots and you'd have to choose between Oregon, Missouri, Pedo, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma--all two loss teams-- for the last two spots. Meanwhile, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, and Liberty belong nowhere near a playoff and the first round pairings will be subject to conspiracy theories galore. This will be a clusterfuck going forward.

On the other hand, as long as Texas is Top 6, we either get a bye or high odds for a cupcake first round.

It's 5+7 now because of the Pac-12 becoming the 2Pac. Also, Oregon State and Washington State are not eligible to win the Mountain West.

I don't know, there's lots of complaining and gnashing of teeth when then NCAA basketball tourney bracket is released.  Nothing's perfect, and much prefer that method to determining a champion.  You get a tough matchup in the first round and lose, tough, you weren't going to win it anyway.  If there were ever a year for 12 teams though, this is it.  

Byes 

Michigan, Washington, UT, Alabama

First round matchups:

5 vs 12: FSU vs Liberty, the "throw FSU a bone" bowl

6 vs 11: UGA vs Penn St, committee probably adjusts one or the other to prevent conference opponents from facing each other

7 vs 10: Ohio St vs Ole Miss, see above

8 vs 9: Oregon vs Mizzou

OU bumped by Liberty lol.  Though FSU vs OU would be entertaining.

Then you get 2nd round games of (assuming higher seeds win):

Michigan vs Oregon

Washington vs Ohio St

Texas vs Georgia

Alabama vs FSU

Did I get that right?  If so, this would be badass.  That's a month of awesomeness right there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Welcome to the NFL

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I loathe Finebaum but he made a good point on the selection show that the ACC was one of "alliance" members that stood up against early expansion to the 12-team CFP.  We could have had 12 this year and FSU would be in.  I believe the team is "hoisted by their own petard."

If you separate Paul from his actual show, he's pretty good IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1