Week 9 2023 prediction thread: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

20 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

I hear ztejas is guaranteeing payment this week. 

@Nicole44 would garner more action.

I believe this game is difficult to zero in on.  Earlier in the week, there was a lot of talk about "if".  There in is the problem.  If Ewers starts, If MM starts, If they chunk it 60 times, If our secondary can hold up, If we can get some folks healthy.  I think the biggest "If" is will we play down to their level.  They've scored 34 or more in 7 games.  4 times for the W, 3 times for the L.  Do we show up "scary good" or roadkill on its last breath?  I'll hitch my wagon to the "scary good" star.

TEXAS 42

Roaches 34

Yardage 275

Finger crossed

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

@Nicole44 would garner more action.

I believe this game is difficult to zero in on.  Earlier in the week, there was a lot of talk about "if".  There in is the problem.  If Ewers starts, If MM starts, If they chunk it 60 times, If our secondary can hold up, If we can get some folks healthy.  I think the biggest "If" is will we play down to their level.  They've scored 34 or more in 7 games.  4 times for the W, 3 times for the L.  Do we show up "scary good" or roadkill on its last breath?  I'll hitch my wagon to the "scary good" star.

TEXAS 42

Roaches 34

Yardage 275

Finger crossed

We haven’t hit over 40 all season and we still ostensibly have a huge liability at QB. Since September they hit 34 once - against a terrible BYU team. No way they score that much 

It would be really nice to have a stress free win like they should be capable of. A QB that doesn't appear to run, the DL needs to do it's thang.

But I have to lean towards the norm. We probably lose another coin toss leading to another end of half/beginning of half sweat. Not to mention the obligatory shenanigans of the Rig12.

Put it all together:

35 - 26

Edited by mannewers

On 11/8/2023 at 7:02 AM, gmr548 said:

Since the whole “Ewers is going to play” thing came from OB, I am assuming the QB will be Murphy and the whole Ewers is day-to-day bit is gamesmanship from Sark. Reserving the right to change this if that ends up not being the case.

This is a horrid matchup for Texas as currently constructed. TCU’s offense is very well equipped to exploit the disaster that is the Texas secondary. They will throw the ball 50 times and run a bunch of tempo. If Maalik continues to be a walking turnover they will run 80 plays and break the Texas defense entirely.

If Texas protects the ball they should be fine but I don’t have a ton of faith in them to do that right now.

TCU: 27

Texas: 20

Texas rushing: 146 - they run the ball well, but between turnovers and game script don’t get to do it enough to put up a gaudy number.

Iowa State ran for 215 yards on TCU at 5.8 ypc and getting nothing done in the passing game (135 yards). West Virginia ran for 201 at 4.7 ypc while throwing 21 passes at < 50% completion. KSU ran for 343 yards. Tech ran for 146 at a seemingly middling 3.5 ypc, but net out the trash with a few spell carries and Tajh Brooks went for 146 on 31 carries (4.7 ypc). Those are four of TCU's past five games (the fifth being BYU).

Texas follows the same formula. Ewers isn't asked to do much but drive the bus, convert some intermediate third downs, and not make stupid turnovers, the latter really being the key. Texas keeps the TCU offense off the field long enough that they struggle getting any rhythm going. 

Texas: 31

TCU: 20

Texas Rushing Yards: 226... average of the four above.

• Hook 'Em 1