maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)

henrygandorf

32 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Dolly does plenty with her actions. She doesn't have shit to prove to anyone

the whole dolly parton book thing (she sends free books to kids) is rad as hell. it's kinda weird actually the... I know this is a big program and it's very impersonal and etc but we get the dolly parton books and I explained to my daughter that Dolly Parton sends her these books, and that makes me love Dolly that she sends my kid books. She's the female Willie Nelson, or vice versa - goddamn treasure.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Just thinking the same thing; came to say, "Hey, I saw this on the ground.  I think I'll kick it. What could go wrong?"

9063dfbd-0612-4b1f-9d00-12892ca5c7d3-bal

In our mid-teens, Mark, Ben, and I followed a zig-zag creek up a narrow valley. Took forever doing the zig-zags and getting past vines. Saw a nest like this, one or more of us threw rocks at it. I block the next part out of my mind, but instantly we exploded straight back down the way we came, and I mean straight, vaulting every zig and zag of the water, busting through every vine.

Just like the Grizzly, you don't have to outrun the Hornet. You just have to outrun Mark and Ben.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

the whole dolly parton book thing (she sends free books to kids) is rad as hell. it's kinda weird actually the... I know this is a big program and it's very impersonal and etc but we get the dolly parton books and I explained to my daughter that Dolly Parton sends her these books, and that makes me love Dolly that she sends my kid books. She's the female Willie Nelson, or vice versa - goddamn treasure.

there was a post on twitter several months back.  and it was basically like, "if aliens landed on earth, and we had to choose one person to greet them, one person who represented us the best, who would it be?"

and after several random attempts at guesses, someone was like dolly parton.  and the comment after that was like, yeah, you can close this poll now.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Imagine if she did her Eras tour in 2024 with voter registration trucks 

She has some US dates next fall in red states.

I'm imagining some panicky legislation introduced in several state legislatures in the coming months to address something like this.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there was a post on twitter several months back.  and it was basically like, "if aliens landed on earth, and we had to choose one person to greet them, one person who represented us the best, who would it be?"

and after several random attempts at guesses, someone was like dolly parton.  and the comment after that was like, yeah, you can close this poll now.

Not a good answer. Aliens would feel misled, and they'd be right to feel that way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Does Taylor Swift do yoga? Yoga indoctrination of our children is a threat.

This hits close to home.  When I was a young pup in the workforce I had a super religious boss who literally came around her desk to "lay hands" on me and pray for my soul because I mentioned that I did yoga.

She told me that yoga instructors put you in a trance during class and fill your mind with satanic thoughts. 

Edited by DixonHur
Autocorrect madness
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This hits close to home.  When I was a young pup in the workforce I had a super religious boss who literally came around her desk to "lay hands" on me and pray for my soul because I mentioned that I did yoga.

She told me that yoga instructors put you in a trance during class and fill your mind with satanic thoughts. 

I've told it here before, but I had a lady that told me I was going to be diagnosed with cancer soon because I have some pre-Columbian American Art in my office. That was a few years ago now, so I guess God has a backlog and he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

For so long, conservatives actually thought Taylor might have secretly been one of them. Pretty blonde white girl from Pennsylvania who started off in country music but was “apolitical” to not turn off her young demographic with her supposed conservative views  

Someday, I'll be living in a big old city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Someday, I'll be big enough so you can't hit me
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Why you gotta be so mean?

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

In ‘97, living on Sheppard AFB as a HS Jr, good friend of mine’s mom was super religious.  She told me she didn’t now and would never have a computer because the number 6 ‘came up’ on them all the time.  

Edited by Homercles

30 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've told it here before, but I had a lady that told me I was going to be diagnosed with cancer soon because I have some pre-Columbian American Art in my office. That was a few years ago now, so I guess God has a backlog and he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I never knew that many people had Pre-Columbian art stashed away. Are Oncologists pushing that shit so they can make more money?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

swifty cult >>>>>>>>>>> maga cult

shit is not close.

Quoted for truth.  I took my daughters to one of her shows and I have honestly never seen anything approaching that level of enthusiasm.  I have been to hundreds of concerts and sports events and the only thing that  I could think of was sitting in the Rose Bowl when Vince crossed the goal line, but imagine that for 3hrs straight hours.   You wanna fuck with Taylor and her army?   Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Damn, did you work in deep East Texas?

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Quoted for truth.  I took my daughters to one of her shows and I have honestly never seen anything approaching that level of enthusiasm.  I have been to hundreds of concerts and sports events and the only thing that  I could think of was sitting in the Rose Bowl when Vince crossed the goal line, but imagine that for 3hrs straight hours.   You wanna fuck with Taylor and her army?   Good luck. 

Well you’ve obviously never had the pleasure of attending an Anita Bryant concert, talk about raucous. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Dolly probably knows something about all of the studies about book ownership among children and learning but this is one of them from the UK:

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED617871.pdf

Research has shown that book ownership has a significant impact on life outcomes. In 2019, we found that that children who reported that they had a book of their own were not only more engaged with reading but also six times more likely to read above the level expected for their age than children who didn’t own a book (22% vs. 3.6%).

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I used to sit in a cube numbered 66 so of course I added another 6. The zealots caused a huge stink over it. I reported everyone of them to HR for religious discrimination and started wearing a balphomet necklace every day. A couple quit and the others got transferred to another floor.

Fuck those superstitious nut jobs.

IMG_1932.jpeg.30a612a5ab7061885925e3a32c7f248c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Has that loser EVER gotten laid?

Consensually? With an adult woman? Who wasn't paid?

8 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Hey there's a hornet's nest, let's kick it! 

Seriously.

8 hours ago, locodos said:

I'm guessing Swift could mobilize a lot of young female voters. (Capt. Obvious)  Hell she could do a social media piece on registering to vote and a few selfies and that would crush the registrations offices of almost every state.

Oh I hope they try to muzzle her.

That's what they're trying to do.

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'll hang out with the dude selling raspas from a cart and watch from afar.

Rush did it better. (Speaking of kicking hornet's nests)

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Go check out the demo from the Eras tour. It's 10-50 year olds easily. Moms who love Swift brought their daughters who love Swift. The girls who grew up on her are now in their 20s and 30s. They're about to start having kids. They'll pass the music onto them. She's a pretty self-sustaining artist. She's also brilliant at marketing. Yeah, she has 10+ year old albums...that she just redid herself to introduce to a new fanbase. My oldest's favorite album is an album that was released when she was 3. That kid is 2 years from voting age and she was very angry when Roe was overturned. 

That's not why she did it, and you're not giving her nearly enough credit. The reason she re-recorded everything was because someone else owned the recording rights to those albums, and wasn't going to sell them back to her. But since she still has the copyright to the words/music/etc, she re-recorded them with the same musicians so that she would then hold the rights to those recordings.

So now imagine you're licensing one of her songs for your movie, ad campaign, etc. Are you going to buy from the incel assholes who own the original recordings' rights, possibly pissing off the artist and getting you blacklisted from ever working with her again (eg, hosting her on tour, getting her to be in your ad campaign, etc) OR the same songs directly from the artist herself, usually getting a BETTER version of the song in the process?

She not only gained her rights back, but made the rights to the originals worthless.

It's an absolutely brilliant move, and other artists are doing the same things. (see also e.g. Diamond Head)

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan.

But I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan.

Charlie, you waterheaded dumbass, bring it.  You come for the queen, you best not miss.

Same. Her music is fine, I guess. She is amazing.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Research has shown that book ownership has a significant impact on life outcomes. In 2019, we found that that children who reported that they had a book of their own were not only more engaged with reading but also six times more likely to read above the level expected for their age than children who didn’t own a book (22% vs. 3.6%).

It took 2,019 years for researchers to determine that people who won & read books are better readers than people who don't?  

• Haha 2

• henrygandorf changed the title to maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)