maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)

henrygandorf

17 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That's not why she did it, and you're not giving her nearly enough credit. The reason she re-recorded everything was because someone else owned the recording rights to those albums, and wasn't going to sell them back to her. But since she still has the copyright to the words/music/etc, she re-recorded them with the same musicians so that she would then hold the rights to those recordings.

So now imagine you're licensing one of her songs for your movie, ad campaign, etc. Are you going to buy from the incel assholes who own the original recordings' rights, possibly pissing off the artist and getting you blacklisted from ever working with her again (eg, hosting her on tour, getting her to be in your ad campaign, etc) OR the same songs directly from the artist herself, usually getting a BETTER version of the song in the process?

She not only gained her rights back, but made the rights to the originals worthless.

It's an absolutely brilliant move, and other artists are doing the same things. (see also e.g. Diamond Head)

Yes, I'm aware why she did it. My point was she can introduce all her older albums to the newer generation who joined on in the past couple of years with these new versions she's created. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The irony there is that there's a good chance "reading" doesn't have so much to do with life outcome as just not being a fucking incurious dipshit does.

58 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

One of the U.S. studies referenced how much a book can mean to a low income child.  It is  something that more than likely would not get sold or stolen by someone else in their life.   The ownership of books has huge impacts on a child.  

it is quite the condemnation of modern american culture that this dipshit has any following whatsoever but serious question, what the fuck is the deal with his face?  is there a name for his face being way too small for his head?  he's like that bad guy in the dick tracy comics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

say what you want about Taylor Swift's music, all i know is that one of my favorite uses of a song in a TV show was from this last season of The Bear.  Richie jamming out to Love Story in "Forks" was perfect.  absolutely perfect.  she got points from me for that.  and if she can deliver the White House to the Dems in 2024, even better.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

It is funny to attack the biggest artist on earth right now because she showed her followers how to vote. Then attack women who dare vote. What a time to be alive. I feel like I leave lived through the wildest ride you could and it keeps getting wilder. 

Get your popcorn ready.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

say what you want about Taylor Swift's music, all i know is that one of my favorite uses of a song in a TV show was from this last season of The Bear.  Richie jamming out to Love Story in "Forks" was perfect.  absolutely perfect.  she got points from me for that.  and if she can deliver the White House to the Dems in 2024, even better.

Forks is one of the greatest episodes of television ever made. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It is funny to attack the biggest artist on earth right now because she showed her followers how to vote. Then attack women who dare vote. What a time to be alive. I feel like I leave lived through the wildest ride you could and it keeps getting wilder. 

Get your popcorn ready.

They would crucify Jesus while calling him a communist.  And then ask God to punish that liberal.    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Ted Lange said:

The episode prior gets all the critical acclaim but for me #TeamForks

Fishes is and incredible feat of direction and sustained tension, but Forks is a beautiful, stand alone object-lesson about professional self-respect and the ethic of accountability. It's a masterpiece.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I signed up to be a lab rat in that study under like 10 different names.

My contribution to science, and all that.

I don't think this was ever one of the studies I ever participated in as a psych 301 student, but if it was, bravo. I'm sure I helped confirm the hypothesis.

You know... this feels like one of those political career ending moments. Those rare moments where a single event ends all hope for a candidate. Like Hart daring the press to follow him. Clayton Williams making a rape joke. Ford falling down. "You're no Jack Kennedy." Howard's scream.

Except in this case, it might take down an entire movement, maybe even a whole party.

Edited by Rimbo

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

You know... this feels like one of those political career ending moments. Those rare moments where a single event ends all hope for a candidate. Like Hart daring the press to follow him. Clayton Williams making a rape joke. Ford falling down. "You're no Jack Kennedy." Howard's scream.

Except in this case, it might take down an entire movement, maybe even a whole party.

I'm looking forward to hearing Secretary of the Interior Swift's plans.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Forks is one of the greatest episodes of television ever made. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

The episode prior gets all the critical acclaim but for me #TeamForks

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fishes is and incredible feat of direction and sustained tension, but Forks is a beautiful, stand alone object-lesson about professional self-respect and the ethic of accountability. It's a masterpiece.

forks is tremendous, but it isn't truly standalone.  you really have to understand richie to appreciate the payoff.  and to understand richie, you need to see his journey and also see him stabbed in the asscheek.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

forks is tremendous, but it isn't truly standalone.  you really have to understand richie to appreciate the payoff.  and to understand richie, you need to see his journey and also see him stabbed in the asscheek.

I would agree the background certainly enriches it, but I bet you could show that one episode to anyone with no context and they would get it. It's a whole character arc in an hour. 

5 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Get your popcorn ready.

Yeah but what about Ronnie Milsap?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Informal straw poll is that the teenaged girls are #TeamOlivia and think Taylor Swift is cringe for how she did Olivia Rodrigo ripping her off. You can subliminally hear all about it on her new album Guts and in songs like Vampire.

In sum, teenage girls think Taylor Swift is for old people.

#GirlDad

I'll say it -- Olivia Rodrigo is badass.  Get Him Back is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DixonHur said:

This hits close to home.  When I was a young pup in the workforce I had a super religious boss who literally came around her desk to "lay hands" on me and pray for my soul because I mentioned that I did yoga.

She told me that yoga instructors put you in a trance during class and fill your mind with satanic thoughts. 

You should have honked her tits, then told her that the yoga made you do it.

• Haha 2

This is pretty funny. Earlier today I thought I would see what the enlightened folks over at Texags had to say about this development. There was a thread that I was going to link over here, but it had just gotten started and I figured I'd check back later to see if it was heading the way we all know it would. What do ya know, the threads already gone. Google still shows it:

image.png.7502de745980fd386c9bc5a33c1c87f8.png

but Liucci must have gotten nervous as those morons undoubtedly kept piling on Swift

image.png.d650e7d6bc577b23994af71587047814.png

TBH, I kind  of want to know what those chucklefucks came up with to get the thread shitcanned on the first afternoon. 

Edited by Blotto

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know it's been discussed, but this is just an incredibly funny sentence. 
 @THUJONE needs to do a "Murderers Row" of this. 

Yeah. I was reading that and literally stopped in mid-read, trying to wrap my brain around the concept that someone would think a 19-year-old female music fan would, number one, listen to Ben Shapiro - or two, if for some unfathomable reason they listened to Ben Shapiro, say, “That is exactly the influencer that my teenage female self has been waiting to emulate - does he have a friendship bracelet?”

On 11/10/2023 at 5:17 AM, Hookah Horns said:

Hey there's a hornet's nest, let's kick it! 

This.  Before I clicked on the thread, all I thought of is, " You know how that's going to go, why fucking go there?"

But then I saw who it was...

17 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Well, I'm not gonna let him see me do it.

I read a story a while back where they explained how Ronnie Milsap would get his stage manager to walk him from his piano bench to the front of the stage during soundcheck.  He'd count the steps, and then during his show he'd hop up and stride right up to the edge of the stage, freaking out all his fans.

Now that's an artist.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I don't want to hear a damn word about Dolly unless it's praise.

“I know and love them all, and I do not judge. And I just see how broken-hearted they get over certain things and I know how real they are,” she said. “I know how important this is to them. That’s who they are. They cannot help that any more than I can help being Dolly Parton, you know, the way people know me. If there’s something to be judged, that is God’s business. But we are all God’s children and how we are is who we are.”

https://www.billboard.com/culture/pride/dolly-parton-tennessee-anti-trans-laws-1235462074/

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

All of this makes me kind of pissed that Dolly Parton plays it so safe.  Granted, if she was forced to pick a side, she might be pretty Trumpy as far as I know

The only way anyone could ever think that is if they were kicked in the head by a horse.  She couldn't be more liberal in quite literally every action she takes.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

She couldn't be more liberal in quite literally every action she takes.

I'm not arguing that she's a bad person. But this a political forum.  I'd love for good actions to actual affect the way people seem to go about their political choices.  The vast majority handle it as a team sport, and one has to ask of each person, are you doing the right thing by not choosing a team?

A wealthy person can do a whole lot more good in the world than a poor person, just by putting their blessings towards charity and good works.  That is enough for me to believe that good wealthy people should stay away from politics and joining a team, just to preserve their marketability. 

This.  Before I clicked on the thread, all I thought of is, " You know how that's going to go, why fucking go there?"
But then I saw who it was...

Yeah. I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand. Charlie Kirk does not give a flying fuck whether or not the GOP wins elections. He wants clicks/money/clout. No better way to do that than getting into a public spat with Taylor Swift.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• henrygandorf changed the title to maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)