maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)

henrygandorf

Why does it surprise anyone anymore that people with stupid audiences, say a lot of stupid shit?  

While I know many of my Republican friends are not actually unintelligent, they have purposefully fooled themselves into believing that lies are true.  Once you can be convinced that lies are true due to your desire to NOT know the truth, you can be convinced of anything.  Taylor Swift should get heavily involved, and she should get young people heavily involved in elections.

The biggest problem in our country is voter turnout in our country has been so skewed towards older (mostly white) people, that the political reality is there is not enough influence from younger voters. It is also true that the GOP wants to suppress urban votes, to give rural votes more weight.  Young people if they voted could literally change this country.  But... they don't.  So I can understand why men in the GOP feel they are smarter than women, wiser than women, and rarely if ever elect women.  Because they think women in general are simplistic and stupid, receptacles for sperm(bad girls) and factories for babies(good girls) to a large degree. 

The more people vote the more diluted the racist rural vote becomes.  And Swifties fall into that category of more voters. More voter turnout is what the GOP does not want.  

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

how old is the swiftie fan base really? I mean, I'm sure whatever this is won't amount to shit but also, where typically mobilizing a young fanbase doesn't mean shit politically because they don't vote maybe...swifties could actually move the needle? You Belong With Me dropped 15 years ago. I think that teenage girls are still on the swift wagon but I know that 30 somethings are.

Ranges from like 8 y/o to 35 lol
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All of this makes me kind of pissed that Dolly Parton plays it so safe.  Granted, if she was forced to pick a side, she might be pretty Trumpy as far as I know, but still, she's the type of celebrity who could do some good.  Or at least give me some satisfaction that she shat on some MAGATS.

“My mother was a Democrat and my daddy was a Republican, so I'm a hypocrite,” the Tennessee-born entertainer quipped in a 2017 interview. “I've got as many Republican fans as Democrats,” Parton said at the time, “and I don't want to make any of them mad at me, so I don't play politics.”

11 minutes ago, Smax said:

My wife and daughter are massive T Swift fans. I'm not crazy about most of her music, but I went to the movie a few weeks ago because my daughter asked me to go. I left more impressed with her than I thought was possible. She's an impressive performer, business woman, human being, etc. that comes across as very confident and powerful while still having compassion and empathy for all the people around her. Some of the Swifties that are old enough to vote are the type of women who organize and are active politically already. (my wife is at least) They also have enough money to support candidates and causes financially as well. But getting the Swiftie machine spun up will bring a ton of new voters into the fray.

The long and short of it is, small-faced Charlie poking this bear is one of the most self destructive things that the GQP could do going into '24. Maybe 2nd only to nominating Dotard as their POTUS candidate again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

All of this makes me kind of pissed that Dolly Parton plays it so safe.  Granted, if she was forced to pick a side, she might be pretty Trumpy as far as I know, but still, she's the type of celebrity who could do some good.  Or at least give me some satisfaction that she shat on some MAGATS.

“My mother was a Democrat and my daddy was a Republican, so I'm a hypocrite,” the Tennessee-born entertainer quipped in a 2017 interview. “I've got as many Republican fans as Democrats,” Parton said at the time, “and I don't want to make any of them mad at me, so I don't play politics.”

I can understand an entertainer or athlete not wanting to jump into political issues. But there are ways where you can state your values without saying democrat, liberal, republican, conservative. Obviously political leanings can be implied from values but they can be stated to dare people to oppose them.

4 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

She’s quite apolitical but she funds Covid 19 vaccines and literacy for children.  But she also famously refused to criticize Trump. She toes the lines very well 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

All of this makes me kind of pissed that Dolly Parton plays it so safe.  Granted, if she was forced to pick a side, she might be pretty Trumpy as far as I know,

Eh, I doubt it.  She is way too active is socially progressive causes, like <checks notes> LGBTQ+ community and free books for kids.

Only in this simulation is "free books for kids" socially progressive, but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

My wife and daughter are massive T Swift fans. I'm not crazy about most of her music, but I went to the movie a few weeks ago because my daughter asked me to go. I left more impressed with her than I thought was possible. She's an impressive performer, business woman, human being, etc. that comes across as very confident and powerful while still having compassion and empathy for all the people around her. Some of the Swifties that are old enough to vote are the type of women who organize and are active politically already. (my wife is at least) They also have enough money to support candidates and causes financially as well. But getting the Swiftie machine spun up will bring a ton of new voters into the fray.

The long and short of it is, small-faced Charlie poking this bear is one of the most self destructive things that the GQP could do going into '24. Maybe 2nd only to nominating Dotard as their POTUS candidate again.

He's not exactly great at reading the room. He banked on the culture war delivering a red wave. How'd that work out for ya?

• Like 1

The other interesting thing is going to T Kelce.  He and Jason don't talk about Swift much on New Heights (which is one of if not the most popular podcasts out there right now) Who the hell knows where that relationship really goes, but in the little he has talked about it he is pretty protective of her and while don't know all his politics he has already had the run in with Rodgers over the Covid vaccine and if this kind of stuff really heats up he doesn't seem like the kind to completely keep quiet.  Now he doesn't have nearly the pull she does, but it's another angle and unlike Kapernick he is a shoo-in Hall of Famer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

how old is the swiftie fan base really? I mean, I'm sure whatever this is won't amount to shit but also, where typically mobilizing a young fanbase doesn't mean shit politically because they don't vote maybe...swifties could actually move the needle? You Belong With Me dropped 15 years ago. I think that teenage girls are still on the swift wagon but I know that 30 somethings are.

just look at the NFL ratings to see the impact Taylor has among different demos. teens are definitely a big component of Swift's fanbase.

The Chiefs-Jets game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, was also the most-watched Sunday games since the 57th Super Bowl that aired on Fox in February.

During the game, NBC leaned into the Swift-Kelce narrative, playing a special promo for the game featuring the singer’s 2014 hit “Welcome to New York,” and panning to Swift a staggering 17 times throughout the broadcast.

That Chiefs-Jets game saw a 53% spike in viewership among teen girls ages 12 to 17, a 24% increase in female viewership among 18-to-24-year-olds and a 34% jump in female viewers 35-plus, according to NBC. 

https://nypost.com/2023/11/07/business/how-taylor-swift-is-bringing-the-nfl-to-new-heights/

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

This is why Kirk can't have nice things.

Let’s be clear, there are about a hundred reasons that charlie Kirk can’t have nice things. This is one, sure, but it has to be pretty low on the list. 

Also he’s a millionaire now, so he actually does have nice things. Just not a nice forehead . 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/1201183160/taylor-swift-instagram-voter-registration

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.

The 35,252 new registrations on National Voter Registration Day were the most since 2020, the organization said, and a 23% jump over last year. The number of 18-year-olds registered was more than double 2022.

It's not clear exactly how many of the registrations were tied to Swift's Instagram. Vote.org reported a 1,226% jump in participation in the hour after the post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Informal straw poll is that the teenaged girls are #TeamOlivia and think Taylor Swift is cringe for how she did Olivia Rodrigo ripping her off. You can subliminally hear all about it on her new album Guts and in songs like Vampire.

In sum, teenage girls think Taylor Swift is for old people.

#GirlDad

Edited by BeardIP

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

just look at the NFL ratings to see the impact Taylor has among different demos. teens are definitely a big component of Swift's fanbase.

The Chiefs-Jets game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, was also the most-watched Sunday games since the 57th Super Bowl that aired on Fox in February.

During the game, NBC leaned into the Swift-Kelce narrative, playing a special promo for the game featuring the singer’s 2014 hit “Welcome to New York,” and panning to Swift a staggering 17 times throughout the broadcast.

That Chiefs-Jets game saw a 53% spike in viewership among teen girls ages 12 to 17, a 24% increase in female viewership among 18-to-24-year-olds and a 34% jump in female viewers 35-plus, according to NBC. 

https://nypost.com/2023/11/07/business/how-taylor-swift-is-bringing-the-nfl-to-new-heights/

Derail, but how the fuck do they measure the viewership of underage people? Certainly it can’t just be young people watching it while logged into a streaming device, right?

Just now, BeardIP said:

Informal straw poll is that the teenaged girls are #TeamOlivia and think Taylor Swift is cringe for how she did Olivia Rodrigo ripping her off. You can subliminally hear all about it on her new album Guts and in songs like Vampire.

#GirlDad

I’ve listened to Vampire. People are actually claiming that the vampire in question is not just a female, but Taylor Swift? Well ok. 

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

#GirlDad

Eras Tour says otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

On the other hand, Taylor's fans are new to football, so you see these kinds of things:

F7YvBvnWsAA7kGh?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

"Republicans buy sneakers, too" - Michael Jordan

It's no secret how folks like Dolly Parton (~$750mm net worth) and Michael Jordan ($3bn net worth) and many other celebrities who have built financial empires do it; broad appeal. Taking overtly political positions impacts that.

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

#GirlDad

#teamolivia and #teamtaylor

Olivia Rodrigo on Overnight Fame, FreeBritney, and the Therapy of  Depressing Songs | GQ

Taylor Swift: Truck Company Owner Calls Eras Bonuses 'Life Changing'

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve listened to Vampire. People are actually claiming that the vampire in question is not just a female, but Taylor Swift? Well ok. 

Sorry not Vampire, but "The Grudge": https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/fans-think-olivia-rodrigo-the-grudge-about-taylor-swift-1235408989/

I think Vampire was speculated to be, but she said it's not.

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Dolly does plenty with her actions. She doesn't have shit to prove to anyone

I mean, it IS fascinating that "being a decent human being" plainly puts her on the side of one "team" in this political environment.

Again, "providing books for kids" is blatantly "TEAM LIBTRARD!"  What a fucking world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

• henrygandorf changed the title to maga vs the swifties (taylor's version)