Week 10, 2023: Texas at Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Indeed ...

Texas is 4.8x the size of Iowa, 9.4x the population with 5x the number of Rig 12 members + a guaranteed game with OU at the Cotton Bowl every season.

ISU to Iowa University:  125 miles

Austin to: 108 miles to Waco, 187 miles to TCU, 406 miles to Texas Tech, 195 miles to Cotton Bowl, 164 miles to Cougar High Stadium.

Source:  Britannica.com

Texas: 268,596 square miles, 30,029,572 population (2022 estimated)

Iowa:  56,273 square miles, 3,200,517 population (2022 estimated)

Yeah, I was just talking culturally. 

But, sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

About 90% of the national college football podcasters think we’re losing in Ames. “Classic trap game. Prove it Texas.” Blah, blah, same bullshit we’ve heard since 2010.

Are you implying that mindset has been bullshit since 2010? Some might consider it a profitable betting strategy…

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Iowa State's fashion program graduates a surprising amount of pretty girls that move to Brooklyn. That is my entire exposure to ISU grads.

I work with a ridiculous number of Iowa and Iowa State alumni and I'll just say that the state of Iowa produces an inordinate number of pretty women. They also do craft beer well up there for a state in the proper midwest.

• Hook 'Em 8

On 11/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, Park Gothic said:

Texas is leaving the Big 12 because the conference is full of passionate but unimportant teams, and the gap between Texas and the programs in its peer group is only going to widen as time goes on if Texas doesn't move. I don't even dislike the Big 12 that much, but program like ISU, KSU, OSU, Baylor, and Tech do not have the resources or the fanbases to draw sufficient national attention.

When you're good, people will say "neat" and immediately forget about it. They don't care that your coaches have great records or that you're "doing more with less" as developers of talent. No one gives a shit and they never will. Texas has nothing to win by beating teams like ISU and everything to lose.

The writing has been on the wall since Nebraska and A&M left, so bitch at them if you really need to bitch at someone. I would respect your fans more if you didn't, however. I'd rather you just said "thank you" for the years of unearned money and attention that you drew based on proximity to Texas and programs like it. Because Texas didn't kill the Big 12 - shitty programs with shitty fanbases on no resources did. Here's tip: if an employee leaves a company and the company falls apart, you don't blame the employee for killing the company. The employee was the one holding everything together. If you can't stand on your own then you have no one to blame but yourself, and certainly not the person who's been propping you up for almost 30 years. 

None of this matters though. ISU (or OSU/KSU/Tech whoever) should learn to enjoy being king of a small mountain. You can still watch your team win and lose. You can still have your fun. The Big 12 isn't dying. It's just becoming what it has always been without teams like Texas - a second rate conference with a small audience. 

This.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

I work with a ridiculous number of Iowa and Iowa State alumni and I'll just say that the state of Iowa produces an inordinate number of pretty women. They also do craft beer well up there for a state in the proper midwest.

I worked with an isu grad who married an iowa grad, and she was a doppelrganger for the *young* Shirley MacLaine (like in the Alfred Hitchcock movie, "The Trouble With Harry") who looked like this in that movie:

3840x2400-Trouble-with-Harry3.thumb.jpg.5b6001f2e7ef16342153f64f37f286fc.jpg

MV5BYjJlNTc3ZDAtM2I2ZC00M2UwLTg5ZmYtODhhZWFiY2ViZmYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX852_.jpg.dbc9f75f3e8681690305146d13c01217.jpg

tumblr_nmtxe5FZYX1s6ab9to1_r5_500.gif.f07f9c393a25d47e4b0807d3388f7869.gif

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Iowa State is starting a FR and RS FR at 2/3 linebacker spots. Kansas gave them a ton of fits with pre-snap motion. They were caught out of position a ton. 

I would expect more of the same from Sark in this one. 

I would also expect going for it and failing on 4th down and not kicking field goals to keep the game tight from Sark.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

18 hours ago, IBuryPaul said:

7e52e63110ce4b3fab5de7ae775792a1.gif

I can’t stop watching this. I’m so ashamed of myself. 

that young lady is going places, or has been places, or whatever. 

No reason to feel dirty, when you're looking at three-quarters of what appears to be a very interesting foursome. YMMV

37 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie said:

Going to Ames for the first time this weekend. Any recommendations for longhorn tailgates or bars ? We’re staying over by a brewery in Ames that seems like a good starting point. 

Staying by a brewery?  I'm guessing you must have Airbnb'd?  If it's Alluvial, you're in for an absolute treat.  It it's Torrent, it's still pretty fucking good.

12 hours ago, billy_bats said:

Our beer scene is great.  Surprised to see a general negativity about Midwestern beer though.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinois all have some seriously excellent breweries.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Staying by a brewery?  I'm guessing you must have Airbnb'd?  If it's Alluvial, you're in for an absolute treat.  It it's Torrent, it's still pretty fucking good.

Our beer scene is great.  Surprised to see a general negativity about Midwestern beer though.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinois all have some seriously excellent breweries.

Thank you, and yes an Airbnb near Torrent. Good to know about Alluvial too. We fly into Des Moines so we are going to hit up Lua Brewing on Friday.

Our tickets are in section 12 which looks like the ISU sideline. Ideally we get out of there in one piece.

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Lua slams.  Alluvial is way out on the north edge of Ames, but it's excellent beer in a unique setting (on the edge of 40 acres of restored native prairie).  I'd either hit it before checking into your Airbnb, or take an Uber out there.

You're staying downtown, which is a fun area.  Much less of the "puking in the toilets" college kid crowd and more of the young professional or Alumni back for the game crowd.  For Friday supper, I'd hit up either Sweet Caroline's or Cornbred - both are on Main and likely walking distance from where you're at.  If you're in the mood for pizza, Great Plains Sauce & Dough is an ISU institution that I've never personally been that into.  Whiskey River is always a fun bar in that neighborhood as well as London Underground, and Sportsmen's.  A bunch of the other bars have changed hands in the past few years, and I can't vouch for them either way.

On Saturday, go to the Tip Top when you get rolling for the day and then go tailgate.  Just walk around with beer, don't be a dick, and you'll be welcome at most tailgates.  I'm sure you'll see a shit load of "horns down".  99% of is good natured fun, but like anything in this day and age I'm sure there will be some assholes out there that will be trying to get a rise.  An unfortunate reality and comment on society.

Awesome feedback, thank you. We are looking forward to it and will definitely hit up your recommended spots. 

13 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie said:

Awesome feedback, thank you. We are looking forward to it and will definitely hit up your recommended spots. 

Also, I should add, I'm not sure if this is a guy's trip, or if wives are involved, but Della Viti is a cool wine bar right across from Sweet Caroline's.  My wife always makes sure we stop in there.

Cellar 626 is a little bit of a hike from downtown, but it's a cool craft beer/cocktail speak easy behind the cooler of Cyclone Liquors (a big liquor store in a strip mall).  Totally unexpected location, great drinks.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1