2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Why would Nansen leave a coordinator position at Arizona to be a position coach at Texas?  

Awesome if true, but I don't get it

Why would Choate leave a head coaching job to become a position coach at Texas? He got more money and gets a real opportunity at a really good (at least in the recent past) G5 program.

If Nansen has his sights set on becoming a HC, there is no better training ground than at Texas and the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

$$$$$$$$$

But he's making $750K at Arizona and Choate was making $625K...and he'd been an HC.

Do you really think we're going to pay that much more for an LB coach?  

As I said, I'm down, especially if he brings Akina. 

The only think I can think of is that they think PK will be gone after next year and they want to have a replacement on staff.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

But he's making $750K at Arizona and Choate was making $625K...and he'd been an HC.

The only think I can think of is that they think PK will be gone after next year and they want to have a replacement on staff.

The entire staff is in line for raises.  Not hard for me to see him making a good bit more than $750K.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Why would Choate leave a head coaching job to become a position coach at Texas? He got more money and gets a real opportunity at a really good (at least in the recent past) G5 program.

If Nansen has his sights set on becoming a HC, there is no better training ground than at Texas and the SEC.

True, but Choate came from Montana State.  Arizona is a Power 5 team.

Again, he'd be a great addition, but it almost seems too good to be true.  But maybe the SECSECSEC really is that big of a deal.

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep.  And this isn’t power five. It’s power 2

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I think sarks results from this year is going to increase our salary pool. We’re going to have to pay Bo and Choice more for sure. What is it to throw an extra 500k at a sitting play caller. 

Our budget this season for asssitants was 8.675 million(9.225million including Becton) No reason that can’t grow to 10-11 million or even 12 million considering we’re about to make 25-40 million more a year being in the sec. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just as additional info - Sark pulled Nansen out of Idaho and hired him as a Special Teams Coordinator/DL coach on his initial staff at Washington.  Sark moved him to RBs after a couple of seasons and then brought him with to USC and gave him the Assistant Head Coach title.  If he moves to Texas I would assume that he will get one of those AHC type titles to justify the money above just being a LB coach.

Nansen's daughter is also at Texas already in the football office. 

Nansen and Sark are apparently close.

SEC is a step up from the new Big 12.

Ok, I'm sold...not that it took much, you guys had me at Akina

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think sarks results from this year is going to increase our salary pool. We’re going to have to pay Bo and Choice more for sure. What is it to throw an extra 500k at a sitting play caller. 

Our budget this season for asssitants was 8.675 million(9.225million including Becton) No reason that can’t grow to 10-11 million or even 12 million considering we’re about to make 25-40 million more a year being in the sec. 

I’m going to assume that our season’s tickets will be going up?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I’m going to assume that our season’s tickets will be going up?

Yep, 1st year in the SEC equals new teams coming to Texas. Georgia and Florida on the home schedule. Going to be record-breaking season ticket numbers.

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

What's everyone's infatuation with Akina coming back here...I just don't get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Akina

image.png.c62e1532ab152c03db45fa4e68551247.png

Seriously though - there have been so many bad years in the secondary people are nostalgic for what it was like during the Akina years.  The guy is 67 years old and in semi-retirement, while I think he'd be a nice add as an analyst - I don't think he's going to move the needle too much when it comes to performance.  And he spent 13 years in Arizona before coming to Texas - so he might not be as nostalgic for Austin as Texas fans are for him.

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

He isn't coming here to be just a position coach. He would be coming here as Co-DC. It wouldn't be an empty title either; I would expect him to be significantly involved in strategy and game plans even if he is not himself calling the plays. PK needs help, fucking clearly, and has a history of sharing responsibility and cooperating with his Co-DCs to an extent that most guys cannot tolerate due to ego. It isn't the same as leaving to go work under a lot of other DCs. 

We would also probably damn near double his salary. Do not go by what other coaches were making on this staff prior. We have tens of millions in additional revenue coming in from the SEC media deal starting next year and basically all of that is going to be earmarked for the football program (rightfully so). On the flip side Arizona is facing massive debt issues. Even if they could afford to match whatever we offer him they are going to be making major cuts to their football program analyst and support staff. They've already announced all that publicly. Their situation is kind of grim. 

Add in the fact that he and Sark are not only close but supposedly 'best friends', with his daughter already at Texas, and you can see how the situation would be appealing. 

And yet Fisch chose to stay there over A&M..

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The guy is 67 years old and in semi-retirement, while I think he'd be a nice add as an analyst - I don't think he's going to move the needle too much when it comes to performance

Lest we forget Greg Robinson basically fixed our defense after the disaster that was Manny Diaz. 

62 and living in SoCal and watching film for us before he was called back to fix the mess 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Akina

image.png.c62e1532ab152c03db45fa4e68551247.png

Seriously though - there have been so many bad years in the secondary people are nostalgic for what it was like during the Akina years.  The guy is 67 years old and in semi-retirement, while I think he'd be a nice add as an analyst - I don't think he's going to move the needle too much when it comes to performance.  And he spent 13 years in Arizona before coming to Texas - so he might not be as nostalgic for Austin as Texas fans are for him.

Look. He’s too old to be an assistant coach. But to help as an analyst? Hell ya. It was glorious watching our DB’s while he was here. The techniques of the DB’s, the hard hitting, turning for the ball. He put a lot of dudes into the NFL. I’ll take it. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

What's everyone's infatuation with Akina coming back here...I just don't get it.

He has skins on the wall. He coaches technique. He teaches guys how to study film. He is the reason we were DBU at one time. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Lest we forget Greg Robinson basically fixed our defense after the disaster that was Manny Diaz. 

62 and living in SoCal and watching film for us before he was called back to fix the mess 

G-Rob was a boss. I give him more credit for the 05 championship defense than I do Chizik. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

His skin is heading for the floor. The game evolves and so does coaching. Has he made his other stops DBU?

The question was asked, and I answered it. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have the talent at any other stops, though. I’m not advocating making him the corners coach, but I’m not saying it wouldn’t work, either. He won’t recruit, so that would be a huge problem. I do believe he’d be a huge upgrade for development, though. Coverage principles don’t change. Saban is old AF and still coaches up DBs. Our DBs have pretty questionable technique right now. I think he’d be a great hire as an analyst. Maybe he can teach Terry Joseph some things. 

• Hook 'Em 6

42 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

He has skins on the wall. He coaches technique. He teaches guys how to study film. He is the reason we were DBU at one time. 

I think what people aren’t understanding is that our secondary really hasn’t been good since he left after the 2013 season. How many 4 & 5 star DBs have we had that never got developed right? Way too many 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTapia said:

I think what people aren’t understanding is that our secondary really hasn’t been good since he left after the 2013 season. How many 4 & 5 star DBs have we had that never got developed right? Way too many 

Damn I guess our secondary will never be good again :(

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTapia said:

Playing devil‘s advocate, all the way back to the hornfans days we all complained that Akina couldn’t coach zone to save his life.  

Plus, at the end he was pretty much on his own program instead of trying to mesh the backs with what the front seven was doing.  Which, of course, sounds a lot like our current complaints.  

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Posting here since its tangentially related to them targeting Joseph, but also I can't find the relevant thread.

Life comes at you fast though:

Wait, Kelly fired a guy, but is now bringing him back with a promotion? You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Do you remember what our secondary looked like when Akina was here?

That's why.

• Hook 'Em 6

Do you remember what our secondary looked like when Akina was here?
That's why.
I do, but I'm also not living my life in the past. There are better DB coaches that are not AARP card-carrying, borderline nursing home member as well.

I'm all for an analyst position but not a on-the-field coach. FFS he's 67 or 68 years old.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I do, but I'm also not living my life in the past. There are better DB coaches that are not AARP card-carrying, borderline nursing home member as well.

I'm all for an analyst position but no a on-the-field coach. FFS he's 67 or 68 years old.

Nick Saban is 72.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

All I remember about Akina’s time at UT was how strong the nuclear family was and gas under a dollar. Maybe we should bring him back. 

As long as we all remember that when we start getting into our old man feelings, we're usually wrong. 

image.png.f7d09bde353a1881c08c231d51cb26af.png

(yes I know you were kidding) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is also the whole "Johnny Patron" thing to consider with Nansen. Probably not so relevant anymore, but he also did not have a great track record while coaching LBs at USC (big dropoff after 2017). I guess he turned things around at Arizona.

Screenshot_20210119-181433_Twitter.jpg

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

As long as we all remember that when we start getting into our old man feelings, we're usually wrong. 

image.png.f7d09bde353a1881c08c231d51cb26af.png

(yes I know you were kidding) 

This is what happens when strong, stable, millenial family values start to overtake the hedonistic and selfish Boomers and Gen Xers

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wait, Kelly fired a guy, but is now bringing him back with a promotion? You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s ridiculous. 

And is making him the highest paid assistant in the country. That's... something.

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

I'm all for an analyst position but not a on-the-field coach. FFS he's 67 or 68 years old.

Well unless Sark is going to push out a secondary coach, it would be an analyst position.  LSU doesn’t want Joseph anymore and I doubt Sark throws an alum to the curb. 

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

But he also did not have a great track record while coaching LBs at USC (big dropoff after 2017). I guess he turned things around at Arizona.

Huh? 

I know it's Satya and all that but Cameron Smith and John Houston JR was a very good LB duo in '18. Cameron Smith was a 3-time All Pac 12 selection. 

• Hook 'Em 1