2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Michigan DBs grab and push.   I wish ours would.   It would have to be coached though   

Either Michigan's DBs are way better than UT's DBs OR the folks that want Duane Akina back in Austin have legit reasons for wanting him back.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, we got confirmation tonight that a great pass rush can affect Penix. I know Sark is aware of the need for improvement, hopefully the addition of Nansen speeds up that process. 

I don’t think we should build a team to beat Penix since he’s going to the NFL.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Michigan DBs grab and push.   I wish ours would.   It would have to be coached though   

I saw at least some really smart, subtle bumps on key plays from Michigan DBs last night that were indicative of great coaching. I can't remember exactly when it was but the one that stands out the most to me was on a third down Washington had going into the end zone. The Washington receiver crossed the Michigan saftey's face\; a Texas safety and most college safeties are done at that point. But the Michigan DB subtly bumped the receiver in the route. There was no grab, no shove, and the ball hadn't been thrown yet. Just knocked him off the line and disrupted timing a little bit. Right up to the line of what's allowed but not crossing it. The throw was slightly off and the reaction was that Penix missed. He didn't, the route just got disrupted by that much.

I was just thinking about how I literally cannot imagine a Texas DB making that play. Michigan definitely got away with more physical play in the secondary than is typically allowed but they also do things like that.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I saw at least some really smart, subtle bumps on key plays from Michigan DBs last night that were indicative of great coaching. I can't remember exactly when it was but the one that stands out the most to me was on a third down Washington had going into the end zone. The Washington receiver crossed the Michigan saftey's face\; a Texas safety and most college safeties are done at that point. But the Michigan DB subtly bumped the receiver in the route. There was no grab, no shove, and the ball hadn't been thrown yet. Just knocked him off the line and disrupted timing a little bit. Right up to the line of what's allowed but not crossing it. The throw was slightly off and the reaction was that Penix missed. He didn't, the route just got disrupted by that much.

I was just thinking about how I literally cannot imagine a Texas DB making that play. Michigan definitely got away with more physical play in the secondary than is typically allowed but they also do things like that.

It was a back shoulder throw to Rome Odunze. The incidental contact affected his footwork to the point he could not turn and jump for the ball, and it sailed over his head out of bounds. Great play by the DB. 

I was going to say fucking Penix hit every throw against Texas, which is kinda true. The reality is his receivers ran down the field untouched and went wherever they wanted, with our guys waiting for them to catch the ball before they tackled them.  Babers talked about this months ago; if you have guys that can play press coverage, you do. If you don't, you don't. 

Both teams had good DB play, a lot of good open field tackles. Can't blame W's DB's when the RB's run untouched for 40 yards.

Michigan had some imaginative play calling, lot of pre snap motion, pulling linemen, isolating fast guys in space. McCarthy's 4th quarter runs changed the game.  They have a good team across the board and were well coached.  Deserving Champions.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Adding Trey Moore, Colin Simmons, Burke improving , and better secondary coverage next year should help
Vasek has had a full year of S&C, time to see what he brings to the table other than Sooner tears.

23 minutes ago, ousux said:
20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Adding Trey Moore, Colin Simmons, Burke improving , and better secondary coverage next year should help

Vasek has had a full year of S&C, time to see what he brings to the table other than Sooner tears.

Hopefully his back is fully healed and recovered. 

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Larry Johnson’s only 72 - maybe this time we get him…

Seriously though - who has done the google research on Sarks old DL coaches?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Obviously Tosh Lupoi. haha

Tosh immediately came to my mind too.

• Fuck You 2

Sarkisian had to make assurances after year 1 that he would let Bo coach the DL the way he wanted without influence from PK/others. I always wondered in the back of my mind if he meshed well with the rest of the defensive staff.

I agree with Roach that Randall Joyner should be the first call.

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

That sucks. I wonder how big the brinks truck they had to rob to pay for this was. Had to be something crazy for us to not beat it.

Have to imagine it was more about going home than it was money. Not saying he's not getting a raise but we certainly would have met any price for him. Also FUCK.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Fucking hell. LSU money whipped one of our coaches that we wanted to keep. Not good. 

If's going back to his alma mater, is it really a money whip?

Edited by kevwun