2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I get why you think that, but I think it's more "Kalen DeBoer has a chance to do the funniest thing" 

Because if Bama whiffs on DeBoer we're in the Tommy Rees/Dabo zone and that is our best case scenario. Turns out the Bama job isn't the #1 job in the world when you follow Nick Saban. 

We went through it replacing Mack....and Royal.....and heck when we hired Royal our primary targets all said no thanks and recommended Royal.

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

We went through it replacing Mack....and Royal.....and heck when we hired Royal our primary targets all said no thanks and recommended Royal.

I thought it was just Royal wanted Mike Campbell but the administration said, “Naa, we’re hiring your slick former assistant who’s been chilling in Wyoming…” Who did we pursue and miss out on?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If DeBoer stays at Washington, it's almost to the point where you hire Tommy Rees to a 4 year $16 million contract with a low buyout. Assuming he sucks, you fire him after a year or two, which provides the cover needed for a HC to want the Bama job. 

I think with a little patience, you could find 15 coaches better than Rees. They should just do a full search. 

With a 12 team playoff and NiL, there is no reason to change school.  Oregon and Washington are in the BIG 10.  Have money, can recruit, and at least Seattle is not bumfuck Alabama.  Oregon maybe.  Also, no one with current success is taking that job.  It is a guarantee they will be fired bc those red necks have gotten used to Saban winning at an unprecedented level in an era where they cheated their asses off.  There is a reason Saban called it quits.  He knows he can’t win at that level anymore given the advantages he had are gone.  Even if the next coach wins 9-10 games, that fan base is so delusional with their expectations.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think any school in the SEC or Big 10 can afford to keep their coach if he’s happy. I think facilities and NIL are where the competitive advantages lie. 

I mostly agree, but Washington is only getting about half of those Big10 payouts on the media deal for the next few years:

While all other Big Ten teams will earn about $60 million next year, Washington and Oregon will start at $30 million with an increase of $1 million until the expiration of the Big Ten’s seven-year television deal with Fox, CBS and NBC.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-oregon-and-washingtons-jump-to-the-big-ten--it-was-both-of-us-or-none-of-us-141725222.html#:~:text=While all other Big Ten,with Fox%2C CBS and NBC.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

With a 12 team playoff and NiL, there is no reason to change school.  Oregon and Washington are in the BIG 10.  Have money, can recruit, and at least Seattle is not bumfuck Alabama.  Oregon maybe.  Also, no one with current success is taking that job.  It is a guarantee they will be fired bc those red necks have gotten used to Saban winning at an unprecedented level in an era where they cheated their asses off.  There is a reason Saban called it quits.  He knows he can’t win at that level anymore given the advantages he had are gone.  Even if the next coach wins 9-10 games, that fan base is so delusional with their expectations.   

I think he is a great coach, but I am not sure he is the type of guy that can organize NIL and build a recruiting machine to be a the top of the SEC. He maybe better off in the NFL or at a school like Washington. 

9 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I thought it was just Royal wanted Mike Campbell but the administration said, “Naa, we’re hiring your slick former assistant who’s been chilling in Wyoming…” Who did we pursue and miss out on?

I can't say for sure at this point.....but I somehow doubt Fred Aker's 1 season at Wyoming put him at the top of the list of potential coaches.  I am certain there were others we were interested in that had no interest in following Royal.

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Tuscaloosa, he’s tanned, rested and ready!

ED1DA584-84C6-442E-B08A-2A31543B861B.jpeg.5abbf56cf5fc43a2c7731bae197c5333.jpeg

How awesome would it be to somehow watch him destroy a second program we compete with?  Plus all the Aggy tears if he has any modicum of success while they are paying for his historic buyout.  

I'm just crossing my fingers that someone decides that Tommy Rees, James Franklin, or Marcus Freeman is the move...No one will adequately replace Saban but there are plenty that would speed up Bama's demise and slide into mediocrity.   I'm really surprised that Kiffin isn't their next call after the top three.  He might not succeed but he'd certainly be entertaining and higher upside than any of the other candidates thrown out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If DeBoer stays at Washington, it's almost to the point where you hire Tommy Rees to a 4 year $16 million contract with a low buyout. Assuming he sucks, you fire him after a year or two, which provides the cover needed for a HC to want the Bama job. 

I had this same thought when Lanning told them no.  Problem is the halo effect of Saban and current roster will be strongest over next two seasons,  If Rees Chuckle's it up,  they will be on their own 10 year walk in the sand.  

Time to move on to James Franklin, Byrne. As average of hire as I think it would be, he honestly might be the best candidate to keep the Saban recruiting machine somewhat going. No matter who they hire, at least he isn’t Nick MF Saban. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy watching them try to replace the GOAT.

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It's hard to pry a sitting head coach loose from a good job, especially now with the expanded playoff coming. There are 1 or 2 exceptions some years (Lincoln Riley to USC, Brian Kelly to LSU). But most of the time we see these fans and teams shoot for the moon and they end up settling on a 3rd option/coordinator/G5 coach.

Getting a coach who just led Washington to the national title game would be a good get for Bama, but as you said, that fanbase is delusional with their expectations and they won't realize it.

Someone remind who the recruit was that Texas just about had sewn up but Orgeron pestered him so much, including riding to the airport with him, that he flipped to LSU. Was it Chassion? I was so ticked but at the same time was laughing at how over the top Orgeron was with that recruit. He was relentless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Richter said:

Orgeron and Banks both being on staff at Texas would be such a culture flip from the Mack Brown days its hard to comprehend.  I hope it happens.

Dude, those two together would be amazing. I'm pulling for this now because of that alone.

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Coach O at UT?  Count me the fuck in.

Every team, from peewee to the NFL, needs a crazy coach.

Two, in our case.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Orgeron would definitely end up on Surly at some point.

@immamac this needs to happen regardless. Get that guy on email, on the phone, send him directly to IPIHB and get him posting.

2 hours ago, DToro said:

I understand the connections and past with Sark and Coach O, but...I'm just seeing an out of control, shirtless Coach O roaming 6th street and Zilker park looking for a good time. 

Don't give me hope.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

According to sources, Texas is expected to bring in a new coach this weekend, likely in an off the field/analyst role that could be extremely beneficial to Steve Sarkisian and the program.

Once the news begins to leak, we’ll keep you posted on the latest. Stay tuned.

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Has to be Akina.

Akina? Fuck that... I want Pete.

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

7694896c2ccca8710245e15c6ad6979a.jpg

It's perfect. Though given Saban's and Belichick's friendship, you'd think Pete would be the one needing to be shopped in...

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I really, really want DeBoer to stay at Washington. Holy shit would that be an amazing rebuff. 

Fuck that. After seeing the Washington fans be dickheads here, I would drink nothing but Husky fan tears for weeks straight.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

ESPN alert just said he’s in negotiations to take the Bama job.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Bring on the Husky fan tears.

Just now, SimkinsMan said:

Excuse me, sir. Colorado hiring Dan Hawkins would be a rebuff. 

you mother fucker

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If I'm DeBoer, or any other head coach at a major program, there's no way I'd take the Bama job.  I'd use it to get a pay raise, but I wouldn't want to try and follow the greatest college football coach of all time.  

p-p-p-pussy. He’s not going to recreate the Penix level of success in Washington and basically gets to do a plug and place of methodology with what people have grown to think of when it comes to Bama.

Kids are going to respond to the Smith - Juedy - Ruggs - Waddles comp to the offense he just had at UW. DeBoer gets a chance to bring an elevated style that differs from Saban, I think it’s a great fit.

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If I'm DeBoer, or any other head coach at a major program, there's no way I'd take the Bama job.  I'd use it to get a pay raise, but I wouldn't want to try and follow the greatest college football coach of all time.  

ppppffffttt, Bama is a huge step up from UW football wise. He is a competitor, he wants to win it all, he just lost a roster to win it all and won't compete again at UW, not anytime soon. At Bama, if he can hold the roster together, he can compete next year and every year after.

As Sark negotiates his extension, would it be legal for him to earmark a certain percentage of his salary to NIL? Say both parties agree $10 million is the price, can they add $2.5 million to the contract with the understanding that Sarkisian donates the extra $2.5 Million to TOF? @immamac @RGBIII

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

p-p-p-pussy. He’s not going to recreate the Penix level of success in Washington and basically gets to do a plug and place of methodology with what people have grown to think of when it comes to Bama.

Kids are going to respond to the Smith - Juedy - Ruggs - Waddles comp to the offense he just had at UW. DeBoer gets a chance to bring an elevated style that differs from Saban, I think it’s a great fit.

Absolutely...in the history of football there have only been a handful of coaches who successfully followed a legend.  

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

ppppffffttt, Bama is a huge step up from UW football wise. He is a competitor, he wants to win it all, he just lost a roster to win it all and won't compete again at UW, not anytime soon. At Bama, if he can hold the roster together, he can compete next year and every year after.

If he can't build a roster, he isn't going to be successful anywhere.  Following the GOAT is career suicide, IMHO.