2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

In my district, absolutely. Local campuses don't even have local control of our HVAC. If my classroom is hot or cold my office manager has to put in a request to district to try and get it adjusted. If you want to go work in your room on a day that is normally not a school day you will not have AC.
We (Plano) pay millions back to the State in recapture, so they pinch every penny they can.

Yep. Bowie hs barely has heat or ac. But aisd puts back tons of money in recapture. Complete bullshit and pisses me off

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I hope it's not too obvious to state this:  a lot of folks in Texas are on natural gas or propane.  ERCOT isn't speaking to you.  The electrical demand to push heat through your house is minimal when your source is gas.  While I don't think the grid will crash this time around, there is a small chance of rolling blackouts, so I'm soaking my house with BTUs -- I'm running the thermostats at 72 F.  It's toasty, I'm not stressing the grid but rather just burning more gas (which I'm happy to pay for) and if we get another grid-a-geddon it's that much more stored heat to dissipate.  It matters a day or two down the road.  Do what you do, though.

Getting folks off electric resistance method of heating would be ideal. Read that’s still the way something like 60% of Texas homes are heated.  Expensive though. 

Edited by Surly Bevo

56 minutes ago, Chopper said:

A reporter skeeted on bluesky about this earlier.

image.thumb.png.18c5de131415a1afe7744b0c5b7bf0e8.png

here's the linked article -

Houston Public Works warns residents to not drip faucets during freeze. The same question arises during every Houston freeze. To drip or not to drip? The answer remains the same.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/houston-texas/article/houston-freeze-drip-faucets-18602388.php

The City of Houston's water is run through pump stations on the ground, not water towers. City officials are urging Houston residents to not drip their faucets because it could put pressure on the water system, potentially shutting it down.

Running faucets "has a huge negative impact on our water pressure," Erin Jones, a spokesperson for Houston Public Works, told Chron. "If water pressure gets too low, then you get a burn water notice. And you don't want that in the middle of a freeze."

Instead, the city recommends that residents open the cabinet doors under the sink next to outside walls to let heat in, shut off water to washing machines in unheated garages and monitor pipes that have been frozen in the past. Houstonians who expect to be out of town during the arctic freeze should prepare their homes beforehand by draining their outside faucets or leaving their home heating system on a low temperature.

Aquasource’s system wide email asked customers to locate the interior faucet furthest from the source, and drip.

2 minutes ago, dittohead said:

So, my 9:00 flight from Dallas to Austin that boarded at 9:30. .. we are still sitting on the tarmac … in Dallas.

Assuming this is AA, they offered me $1200 to switch to this flight.  It was the first time I was actually tempted to do so but the thought of something just like this occurring seemed way to likely.  

Didn’t really matter though as we departed nearly an hour late and then sat on the ground at ABIA afterward while the blizzard rolled in and they scrambled the de-icing trucks. 

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Assuming this is AA, they offered me $1200 to switch to this flight.  It was the first time I was actually tempted to do so but the thought of something just like this occurring seemed way to likely.  

Didn’t really matter though as we departed nearly an hour late and then sat on the ground at ABIA afterward while the blizzard rolled in and they scrambled the de-icing trucks. 

It’s the AA flight.  They offered a small window for people to get off about 1.5 hours ago. Maybe 5 people left.   Finally our turn to de ice here.  So, this 40 minute flight will end up being 4 hours in the tube.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ballrific said:

night crew checking in. Can confirm its cold in nw austin. Just outside re-wrapping dead plants and my fingers were throbbing from the cold. Its balls cold even without wind.

So damn cold my pretty good dogs, short hairs, said fuck it and pissed on the plants inside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ballrific said:

night crew checking in. Can confirm its cold in nw austin. Just outside re-wrapping dead plants and my fingers were throbbing from the cold. Its balls cold even without wind.

51 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nice to see we are the overnight crew.

1oz8d0.jpg

b01d226089ecdcabea38a0f54e985acfe85b3b14

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

13 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Went for a 40 minute swim in the Comal this afternoon. It was just me and the cormorants trying to stay underwater. The water felt great until I got out and then I yelped all the way to the car. 

Cormorants…

IMG_0162.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Aquasource’s system wide email asked customers to locate the interior faucet furthest from the source, and drip.

Most of the time it wasn't cold enough to really freeze the pipes in Houston, but I was amazed one warmer morning after consecutive days of temps in the high teens/ low 20's and our neighbor's water supply to sprinkler system(?) burst just outside the house.  That shit looked like a frozen mini-Niagara explosion outside their house, and then we had to go let them know it had happened( they were very shitty neighbors and inattentive to things.)

I tend to drip the faucets as the thaw occurs.  Per @Chopper's article, that's probably not that effective either.

Edited by slorch

Light dusting of snow here in Dallas. Enough to make you smile and not worry that your power may go off at any minute and all your water pipes freeze up again. Had a doctor's appointment scheduled for today and they already texted me that the office is closed due to the weather. Normally that would annoy me but I'm fine missing out on weather in the teens. It's cold enough when I let the dog out to pee. 

Sigh. Shit, one of our hot water lines is frozen. When we did a kitchen remodel this year, it ran a line from the hot water downstairs up to the kitchen upstairs. Along the NW corner of the house. Didn’t think to drip that one.

Am gonna go downstairs and run the hot water for some taps down there, see what happens. If I have to shut it off, then that’s what I’ll do. Thankfully, it runs over open patio, so even if it bursts, damage should be minimal.

And now we know about that.

This weekend I believed the Wunderground's prediction that the temp at my house wouldn't get below 34 in Houston overnight. Woke up to them saying it was 28. I also have been believing that they claimed that tonight and Tuesday night won't get below 24 and that the below-32 wouldn't last more than 12 hours. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This weekend I believed the Wunderground's prediction that the temp at my house wouldn't get below 34 in Houston overnight. Woke up to them saying it was 28. I also have been believing that they claimed that tonight and Tuesday night won't get below 24 and that the below-32 wouldn't last more than 12 hours. 

I use Wunderground because it is supposedly the most accurate at around 80%.  Why is weather prediction just so bad?  I feel like it's gotten worse over the past decade or so.  Not sure if that's just my frustration or if it's real.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I use Wunderground because it is supposedly the most accurate at around 80%.  Why is weather prediction just so bad?  I feel like it's gotten worse over the past decade or so.  Not sure if that's just my frustration or if it's real.

Because weather does WTF it wants

Sigh. Shit, one of our hot water lines is frozen. When we did a kitchen remodel this year, it ran a line from the hot water downstairs up to the kitchen upstairs. Along the NW corner of the house. Didn’t think to drip that one.

Am gonna go downstairs and run the hot water for some taps down there, see what happens. If I have to shut it off, then that’s what I’ll do. Thankfully, it runs over open patio, so even if it bursts, damage should be minimal.

And now we know about that.
Is it PEX?

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Go straight to the taxpayer supported source? I use NWS

For Example, here is the austin area weather discussion. You can check out their precip and temp and wind graphs and such directly on the website and it's quite useful IMO. Just plug in your location in the search bar and it's got everything I need.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=EWX&issuedby=EWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

Go straight to the taxpayer supported source? I use NWS

For Example, here is the austin area weather discussion. You can check out their precip and temp and wind graphs and such directly on the website and it's quite useful IMO. Just plug in your location in the search bar and it's got everything I need.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=EWX&issuedby=EWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Yeah, I use NOAA for planning camping and backpacking trips.  Their app is shit though.