2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

On 5/11/2024 at 11:34 PM, Paper_jam said:

Yesterday I swear KXAN's forecast said 90% chance of rain on Sunday. Now it's 50%.  The NWS forecast said periods of very heavy rain. Now it doesn't. The fuck is going on.

Gearing up for the July to Sept forecasts that perpetually show 10-20% chance of rain 7 days out that, of course, turn to 0 when “day 7” arrives

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:46 AM, ROFL BOX said:

This LAST pic is from Henly (started the file upload incorrectly)

All other 📸 are @ my place, SE of Henly by ~12 minutes.

IMG_3498.jpg

Damn, hope the Boil Shack is OK

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Gearing up for the July to Sept forecasts that perpetually show 10-20% chance of rain 7 days out that, of course, turn to 0 when “day 7” arrives

and people fall for it every time 

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I feel like last year's was perpetual 0% with witty graphics of the high pressure dome of death :/ 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 10:05 AM, milkman said:

Small world...we have some land out that direction and the lake and ponds have been overflowing lately!

I saw that this morning.  Glad they are all okay!

Neighbor just said 28 inches on cr 105 in the last month.

Sitting in my home office in SW Austin with the window open... listening to the rain and thunder.  I'll take this.  This is nice. 

Looks like the worst stuff is staying south and some storms may head to the Lake Travis Watershed... 

image.png.eb5fbad67ce774ada3a1aa9fb485dc04.png

Let's do this...

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

1 hour ago, deter said:

Neighbor just said 28 inches on cr 105 in the last month.

Thats a bunch of rain!  By chance is your username part of your last name but missing some letters?

16 minutes ago, milkman said:

Thats a bunch of rain!  By chance is your username part of your last name but missing some letters?

11 minutes ago, deter said:

Sherlock. Who you?

5 minutes ago, milkman said:

My family owns the place right north of you!  You probably have had to deal with my older sibling a time or two before!

53d93b29-b637-4125-be50-8bc6a2e37976_tex

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

The sky was blanketed all morning with ominous thunder and the only thing the storm cell unleashed was a fucking sprinkle.

This was the chihuahua of storms.

Different meanings in the parlance of South Austin's mom.  

Hays County Smooth-Brain checking in.

We had a couple of healthy trees split. The yard looks like shit with tree shrapnel everywhere.

Husband was smart enough to put the truck in a car wash bay. No damage.

I can’t believe we didn’t lose any windows or a skylight. We got lucky. I picked up 2-3 baseball sized hail pieces in our yard. That shit sounded like Armageddon when it hit. It looked like a tornado was next, but got lucky there too.

Probably won’t be lucky with the roof but we’ll see.
Yeah, baseball hits in the yard = roof damage.

I didn't even bother climbing on my own roof...
Saw the hail (pics uploaded prior) & called it in. No need to go up.

Next pic is from a house a short distance W of the Hays / Blanco line & N of 290.

The difficulty here is getting the entire roof bought vs. "We're gonna only replace 8 or 9 panels. It's an exposed fastener system, so you don't need *EVERYTHING* R&R'd."5fe26e7affd8de1e62320edcf4b16976.jpg7e109bd2588cdb98ad4afa007ea91ffb.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

My cousin and her husband and kiddos live in Johnson City. They are definitely getting a new roof/gutters. This is from the other night:
IMG_5429.thumb.jpeg.63c989314a2440705d4d9f875660e1a2.jpeg
IMG_5433.thumb.jpeg.c9520d239527e0a6100af2cf134df25d.jpeg
IMG_5387.thumb.jpeg.b64ac11b8f2539eef0d893c2df626ddb.jpeg
IMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.923b6af6c9b512241093d28fc61297ed.jpeg
IMG_5419.thumb.jpeg.05419c9cb4d500979dd5fbc790f7eb8b.jpeg
Hi.Waving.RememberMe.jpg

Pic of Johnson City shingle inspection. They are germtting a new roof, sure... however their damage is absolutely much less than what your pics show.401398a37721be53c453dbbeaccf3143.jpg

2 hours ago, milkman said:

My family owns the place right north of you!  You probably have had to deal with my older sibling a time or two 

All neighbors are good. Especially for falls county!

Just now, Post Oak said:

Gonna be a wet early summer.  Lots of afternoon pop up storms that will keep moisture in the ground (and repeat the process) and keep ambient temps average or lower until it bakes off later in the summer.    

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2024 at 11:03 AM, Nicole44 said:

IMG_5429.jpeg

I didn't take a close look @ this when posted; that's a vinyl homeowner special.

Insurance won't pay more than prob. $ 3.⁰⁰ foot on that, R&R.

I have 2 Johnson City inspections coming up,  1 for the metal roof,  another for a double wide.

A friend said the office lady @ West Henly Materials (gravel,  Decomposed Granite, etc.) has a hail stone in her office freezer that's supposedly larger than a football. 

*I have not seen pics, hail or office lady.

• Hook 'Em 1

A strong thunderstorm will impact portions of northwestern TravisCounty through 1030 PM CDT... At 954 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm near Lago Vista, or 14 miles north of Dripping Springs, moving northeast at 30 mph. HAZARD...Winds in excess of 40 mph and half inch hail. SOURCE...Radar indicated. IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects. Minor damage to outdoor objects is possible. Locations impacted include... Cedar Park, Leander, Lakeway, Lago Vista, Bee Cave, Hudson Bend, The Hills, Mansfield Dam, Jonestown, Briarcliff, Point Venture, and Volente. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If outdoors, consider seeking shelter inside a building. && MAX HAIL SIZE...0.50 IN; MAX WIND GUST...40 MPH

On 5/14/2024 at 3:10 PM, Trey3216 said:

Gonna be a wet early summer.  Lots of afternoon pop up storms that will keep moisture in the ground (and repeat the process) and keep ambient temps average or lower until it bakes off later in the summer.    

I'm just glad he used the word juxtapose in a sentence

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Got a quick pop-up with some small hail (dime-sized) last night up here in NW Travis Co.  Only 0.07" of rain, though.

Yea, we got about 5 minutes of pea sized hail and maybe 15 minutes of pretty hard rain. Just enough to keep the mtb trails closed another week. 

• Haha 1

This going to happen or what?  Since checking the forecast early this morning, the arrival time for possible storms has moved back a few hours and the % chances have gone down.  The force field seems prepared for the Dikembe Mutombo finger-wag.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This going to happen or what?  Since checking the forecast early this morning, the arrival time for possible storms has moved back a few hours and the % chances have gone down.  The force field seems prepared for the Dikembe Mutombo finger-wag.

Why do you insist on asking the question when you already know the answer?

It's never going to rain again.

• Hook 'Em 1