Doorbell camera LEO interaction

bernorange

1) Homeowner is clearly a psychopath.

2) Also, homeowner ain't wrong.  Cop covering the camera was a bullshit move from the get-go, and proves that whenever a cop STARTS an interaction, they assume they are going to need to cover something up.  Don't want an interaction to go south on you?  Don't START it by avoiding objective documentation of that interaction.

What is it the cops so love to say?  Oh yeah, "if you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I normally go with a more cordial tone when interacting with people who can make up a reason to throw me in jail or shoot me for no reason.

In spite of her kinda saying she was at the house, I think it's quite likely that she wasn't home, and she was telling the cops to fuck off remotely through the app.  Which is a solid strategy.

• Like 1

This one definitely falls into the "if, then" category for me.

1. If she committed a crime, or it's reasonable to suspect she committed a crime, and the cops have a legitimate reason for speaking with her, then she's just being a cunt.

2. If she hasn't done anything wrong and the cops are just being, well, the way cops are, then she's a got-damn hero.

Either way, that cop lied her ass off about having a warrant, which definitely makes it seem like option two is more likely.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

1. If she committed a crime, or it's reasonable to suspect she committed a crime, and the cops have a legitimate reason for speaking with her, then she's just being a cunt.

Bull fucking shit. Covering up the camera is indefensible and she deserved being dressed down by someone for it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I don’t think you should talk to people like that, and that is no way to resolve any kind of situation… BUT…

That fucking ugly bitch ass cunt lied about having a warrant. So fuck her and her friends. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Bull fucking shit. Covering up the camera is indefensible and she deserved being dressed down by someone for it.

I agree with this, for sure.  As the rest of my comment noted, the video points towards cops being cops more than anything else.  If she's guilty of a crime, however, I'm less impressed with her attitude as it shifts from rightfully indignant citizen to criminal asshole trying to get away with something because the cop fucked up.  The cop still deserved a tongue-lashing, either way, but my response to the woman's behavior is absolutely impacted by her motivation.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The lady cop blew item 1 out of the water when she covered up the Ring camera.  If you have a legitimate reason for speaking with her, you don't obscure a camera that will record an objective image of the encounter.  If you DON'T have a legitimate reason for speaking with her....same rule, only moreso.  

The ONLY excuse for covering a doorbell camera is if you are going to make a tactical entry; e.g., you either 1) have a warrant to make such entry (which is more than a mere search warrant), or 2) there is an exigent circumstance (e.g.., you saw a gunman inside with a family held hostage or some shit like that requiring immediate response to a hostile suspect) - in both cases, you don't want the hostile person inside to be able to watch your preparation and entry.  That's it.  And this was clearly neither of those two cases. 

Lady cop covered the camera because she wanted to protect her ability to later lie about what happened (uncontradicted by video footage).  And she proved her character when she repeatedly lied about having a warrant.

Completely agree, as noted in my post.  The cops were douchebags, there's no denying it.   However, my reaction to the woman's response is colored by her motivation for responding that way.  If she's simply trying to get away with something because the cop fucked up, we're just dealing with two assholes here.  If she has done nothing wrong, then we're just dealing with one (the cop).

Edited by Samson's Wig

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tiebreaker: civilians have a legal right to be assholes, cops do not (not while acting under color of the law, at least).

I don't care of the homeowner was just pissed off on principle, or was reacting aggressively because she didn't want them raiding her meth lab.  The Constitution applies to both scenarios equally, regardless of whether the homeowner is eventually found guilty of something or not.

I don't disagree with you at all in terms of rights.   I wasn't talking about rights, but whether or not I find her response impressive.  If she's a criminal, I'm not impressed by the magnitude of her response, as it was motivated by covering up her crime rather than righteous indignation.  That's all. 

The cops' behavior speaks for itself.  They fucking suck, no matter what their motivation was.  And knowing how much they suck, we also know this won't end well for this woman.

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Remember when Alex Jones' virtual raison d'etre was to champion your right to film cops? 

Pepperidge Farms remembers. 

....and now he's the hero and champion of the crowd that flies "blue lives matter" flags.  Ain't that something.

• Hook 'Em 2

The whole exchange was odd. I sure wouldn't be friendly to anyone (official or otherwise) who tried to obscure themselves while wanting to gain entry. I mean it's going to put me on the defensive and hostile from the get go as opposed to the 'what do you want to speak with me about?." Now, if my long con grift operation I'm running is in jeopardy of being exposed, and I think the Law is on to us I'm already going to be on edge, but that doesn't mean the police should approach that way, warrantless and lying as if they're just handing out literature for the next Neighborhood Night Out program. Why ramp up a situation?

• Hook 'Em 3

Shocked the cops don't have whatever device the Amazon drivers have that shuts down your Ring doorbell when they make deliveries. Bird lands in the tree in my yard, Ring goes off. Amazon drivers make deliveries to my doorstep and Ring doorbell never goes off. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

In spite of her kinda saying she was at the house, I think it's quite likely that she wasn't home, and she was telling the cops to fuck off remotely through the app.  Which is a solid strategy.

Not if you own dogs...

Why would they obscure the camera? If someone I don't know is at the door I don't answer it. If someone is at the door covering my camera I stand behind the door with my gun pointed at it waiting for something to happen. 

19 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Completely agree, as noted in my post.  The cops were douchebags, there's no denying it.   However, my reaction to the woman's response is colored by her motivation for responding that way.  If she's simply trying to get away with something because the cop fucked up, we're just dealing with two assholes here.  If she has done nothing wrong, then we're just dealing with one (the cop).

Can you hear the voice? That's the voice of a very white trailer park trash woman who commits lots of crimes. Methed out of her mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I understand the community that tells you to never talk to the police. I also believe that most police are good people doing their job to their best EXCEPT when it comes to policing their own. 

I'm not worried about an officer coming to my door and asking questions but I would want to be 100% clear on why they're asking me questions. If they were knocking on my door because a neighbor was attacked and they wanted to know if I saw anything. I would absolutely want to tell them if I saw anyone suspicious. If they asked me if I owned a green shirt and what I was doing at 11pm last night, I would decline to answer that unless I had an alibi. Of course, not answering them would put me at the top of the suspect list. double edged sword.

Cop handled that wrong on pretty much every level, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they’ve had plenty of encounters with that lady. I’m also going to assume her neighbors call in complaints frequently. She sounds like your typical meth addict that screams at children and anybody else she perceives to have slighted her. Also, it sounded like she mentioned them having previously pointed assault rifles at her. Cops clearly didn’t have a warrant, but this lady doesn’t seem to be even remotely sane.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Cop handled that wrong on pretty much every level, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they’ve had plenty of encounters with that lady. I’m also going to assume her neighbors call in complaints frequently. She sounds like your typical meth addict that screams at children and anybody else she perceives to have slighted her. Also, it sounded like she mentioned them having previously pointed assault rifles at her. Cops clearly didn’t have a warrant, but this lady doesn’t seem to be even remotely sane.

If that’s the case with her background, then the cops should know better than to approach her place without a warrant - and definitely video video clearly the encounter without obscuring her cameras.

But it appears the cop in this case isn’t any smarter than the alleged meth head.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yep. Right or wrong, I would have to guess that most cops will treat someone at home with initial respect but if it's their 30th visit to your home, the attitude will be different. 

Regardless cops shouldn't cover cameras, whether their own, a innocent citizen's or even a criminal who they know is 100% breaking the law. If anything, I see it hurting the DA in prosecuting the suspect.

As far as cops lying to citizens/criminals, the courts have agreed they're allowed to under the current law. Admittedly I don't know about lying that they search warrant. That could get ugly from a rights standpoint very quickly if allowed. At that point, lying or creating a fake warrant would be no different in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Why would they obscure the camera? If someone I don't know is at the door I don't answer it. If someone is at the door covering my camera I stand behind the door with my gun pointed at it waiting for something to happen. 

Can you hear the voice? That's the voice of a very white trailer park trash woman who commits lots of crimes. Methed out of her mind. 

I've known plenty of "white trailer park trash" who are ultimately good-hearted folks who don't commit crimes.  For fucks sake, all I was trying to get across is that my reaction to her response is colored by her motivation, which we have no way of knowing for certain.  I wasn't defending her or the cops, but I'm getting it from both ends on this thread.  Clearly, I'm communicating poorly so I'll bow out.

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I've known plenty of "white trailer park trash" who are ultimately good-hearted folks who don't commit crimes. 

How many of the good hearted folks have cops knocking at their door while they're screaming "get off my property you fucking cunts!"?

Yep. Right or wrong, I would have to guess that most cops will treat someone at home with initial respect but if it's their 30th visit to your home, the attitude will be different. 
Regardless cops shouldn't cover cameras, whether their own, a innocent citizen's or even a criminal who they know is 100% breaking the law. If anything, I see it hurting the DA in prosecuting the suspect.
As far as cops lying to citizens/criminals, the courts have agreed they're allowed to under the current law. Admittedly I don't know about lying that they search warrant. That could get ugly from a rights standpoint very quickly if allowed. At that point, lying or creating a fake warrant would be no different in my eyes. 

If cops are approaching your home spread out, with body armor on, and being deceptive, I would think that would be off putting for a casual encounter.