2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

19 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The polls will narrow as the election gets closer and more people enter the fold. It won’t take Trump long to remind most people why they voted against him 4 years ago or 8 years ago. The guy has the maturity of a 1st grader.

this guy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Opps …

You mean Boeing hiring their own auditors to replace and fulfill the role of the FAAs aircraft inspection process wasn't a good idea?  Wow! How could anyone ever have seen this coming?  It almost seems like some kind of rule that should be debated in Congressional committees and vetted by engineers and scientists before implementing. 

One thing I’ve noticed and really hit me at the sotu is the gop/DC in general really has a hard time disliking Joe the person. Even the exchange with Marge had some friendliness to it in a weird way. Calling out Lindsey Graham and him just lighting up. Sure they all give the hate performance for Fox but it certainly didn’t come across on Th night. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

You mean Boeing hiring their own auditors to replace and fulfill the role of the FAAs aircraft inspection process wasn't a good idea?  Wow! How could anyone ever have seen this coming?  It almost seems like some kind of rule that should be debated in Congressional committees and vetted by engineers and scientists before implementing. 

Let me get this straight. Republicans deregulated something and we all have to live with the shitty consequences?

Nooo way

(laughs in great financial crisis) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Let me get this straight. Republicans deregulated something and we all have to live with the shitty consequences?

Nooo way

(laughs in great financial crisis) 

GOP Mad Libs game.

name an industry: ___________________
name a horrible situation : ________________

In the spirit of smaller govt and because their lobbyists demanded it, the GOP deregulated <industry> which led to <situation>.

• Hook 'Em 7

Something I am very tired of, even in more liberal circles, is "Trump vs. Biden, again?". Well, yes, the President of the United States is running for re-election. Crazy, I know. It's not his fault he's running against an insane soon-to-be convicted felon rapist who wants to end democracy.

I think my head might explode before November.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Something I am very tired of, even in more liberal circles, is "Trump vs. Biden, again?". Well, yes, the President of the United States is running for re-election. Crazy, I know. It's not his fault he's running against an insane soon-to-be convicted felon rapist who wants to end democracy.

I think my head might explode before November.

Yeah. It’s very unlikely that a person and their team is going to spend a couple of year winning their first election to not run a second time. There can be circumstances that prevent someone from running but it’s rare.

Not that they’re recent but I believe Truman and LBJ were the only 2 presidents that could have run again. I assume Truman was done after serving close to 2 terms, and LBJ was 5 years with an extremely unpopular war with his party.  It’s probably not a coincidence that both of them were VPs of Presidents who died.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GOP Mad Libs game.

In the spirit of smaller govt and because their lobbyists demanded it, the GOP deregulated <industry> which led to <situation>.

Oh I can play this. And recent

Trumps rolls back some of Dodd-Frank stress tests

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dodd-frank-rollback-5-things-to-know-about-bill-to-cut-banking-regs/

SVB collapses and the Fed has to guarantee ALL deposits (not just 250K) to avoid spread of bank runs. Burger King employee has to bail out crypto millionaires 

Thanks Republicans 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

My anxiety level regarding this election is through the roof. American democracy will not survive another Trump presidency; he must be defeated.

Turn that anxiety into something productive. Reach out to your local dem party and ask what you can do. They will need all the help they can get as the race ramps up. I have a feeling the Allred race is going to get interesting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

My anxiety level regarding this election is through the roof. American democracy will not survive another Trump presidency; he must be defeated.

Half of America doesn't know anything at all about Trump's 91 felony counts, sexual assault, etc. Not a thing. That is both incredibly depressing and encouraging at the same time.

A huge portion of our country is like those Texas fans who don't follow Texas football until September. "Hey who is this Colin Simmons guy...??' 

• Hook 'Em 1

I asked the question in a few group chats this week: "People know that Biden has had his stutter his whole life, right?" The answer was a resounding NO. To independent voters he sounds like a doddering old man. We know better but you can see how people who stick their heads in the sand do not know this.

• Rage+1 1

He’s flubbing more words and phrases, but he’s also speaking so much faster than i remember being his normal cadence.  Chances he’s being asked to talk fast to be energetic in order to combat the things being said against his mental capacity and age?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s flubbing more words and phrases, but he’s also speaking so much faster than i remember being his normal cadence.  Chances he’s being asked to talk fast to be energetic in order to combat the things being said against his mental capacity and age?

The SOTU completely undermines anyone talking shit about his age.  He fucking crushed it.  I know the Rs will continue to squawk about "JOE IS SENILE!", but it's quite plain he is fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m pretty despondent about November right now.  It just doesn’t look like there’s nearly enough recognition by middle of the road and normally apathetic voters of what a grave threat Trump represents.  I never expected to spend the 2nd third of my life as a revolutionary but if these dumb motherfuckers wanna fuck around I guess we’ll all find out together.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Biden can do a much better job in his sleep than Trump and his clown car of flunkies could ever hope to do. Asleep, awake, don't make a shit.

Joe better get his act together on Israel. If he does that, delivers material improvements to Gen Z like more student loan relief, and campaigns the hell out of Michigan, PA, WI, NV, GA, and NC, I think it will be a Biden victory.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GOP Mad Libs game.

I'll play too.  Closer to home.  Texas Railroad Commission:Crane County Frack water disaster.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Biden will walk into the end zone in November. It will be “red wave bust” 2.0 from a couple of years ago, but to hear everyone here tell it, Trump is halfway moved in to the White House already.

This is nothing like 2020 and Trump and the Trump machine is so far from 2016 shape that it might as well been a fever dream a lifetime ago.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Quite possibly. My cousin who is a speech therapist said that when under stress and tired these impediments will become more pronounced, unsurprisingly.

12 minutes ago, Walser said:

Quite possibly. My cousin who is a speech therapist said that when under stress and tired these impediments will become more pronounced, unsurprisingly.

And being 81, I'd guess.

I just had a long conversation with my sister, whose high intelligence is restricted to healthcare-related matters. We were discussing inheritance and taxes for my now-deceased mother, along with the timing for selling our parents' house out in the oil patch. She wants to wait to put it on the market until after November, when we'll have a more oil-friendly president because, of course, prices will rise and housing demand will increase in the Permian Basin if Trump is elected.

I'd have strangled her if we weren't talking over the phone.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I just had a long conversation with my sister, whose high intelligence is restricted to healthcare-related matters. We were discussing inheritance and taxes for my now-deceased mother, along with the timing for selling our parents' house out in the oil patch. She wants to wait to put it on the market until after November, when we'll have a more oil-friendly president because, of course, prices will rise and housing demand will increase in the Permian Basin if Trump is elected.

I'd have strangled her if we weren't talking over the phone.

pics?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I visited Dachau this week, and our guide talked about the similarities in the world that created that camp to the world today. It gave me chills. 

Was there when I was 15. Need to go back. Really puts many things in perspective.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

In all seriousness, I feel your pain.  You certainly aren't alone.  

It's frustrating as shit. I know my sister to be a smart, successful woman. Still, I also know she works long hours and is completely myopic, placing her focus on her patients and watching very little television in the evening, except for true crime bullshit stuff created to scare (mostly) white women or "Judge Jeanine."

I tried to explain to her that the awl bidness is not a state-run enterprise in the US, which she should know very well since we both grew up in the Permian during the 1980s and that prices are set on the world market, but when confronted with those facts she just changed the fucking subject.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I visited Dachau this week, and our guide talked about the similarities in the world that created that camp to the world today. It gave me chills. 

Why would you take a vacation to another country when you live on the greatest country on earth?.?.?.?….

And also, you didn’t take a cruise? 
Of course you’re voting for Biden.

/MAGA 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Constant said:

Same here. I think the people doing victory laps already are fucking insane. As if anyone thought Trump could win in 2016.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

This is nothing like 2020 and Trump and the Trump machine is so far from 2016 shape that it might as well been a fever dream a lifetime ago.

Yep. I’m still seeing only a fraction of the enthusiasm for Trump that was present in 2020.  When driving out in areas that were Trumpy as hell in 2020, it’s rare to see flags, signs, bumper stickers, etc. or if I do they are mostly fading 2020 stuff and not 2024.

The dude is trying to hawk shitty shoes and is holding rallies in small venues that don’t even fill up at times.   He’s taken over the RNC which is going to hurt Republican candidates as a whole.  His endorsements are shit in many cases (see Boebert).

And the dumb motherfucker has decided to give E. Jean Carroll even more money.

Even family I know that were on the MAGA train in 2020 and wouldn’t shut the fuck up about it keep it on the down low now.  

MAGA types are like the CrossFit types and normally don’t shut the fuck up about it, but they are now.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Same here. I think the people doing victory laps already are fucking insane. As if anyone thought Trump could win in 2016.

When Trump announced in June 2015, I basically thought it was a joke PR campaign. By that fall, following the GOP debates, I got worried. By spring 2016, it was no fucking joke...at all. The writing was on the wall that fascist fever was taking hold of the American mind, but I still had faith that in the end he wouldn't win the popular vote but I'd neglected to fully take the gotdam electoral college into account.

• Like 1