Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

48 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Tell me this incel thirst trap twitter account/substack blogger doesn't write exactly like her:

Two things.....

1)  Would.

2)  I mean, the funny thing is, in and among her psychotic ramblings, there are some sparkly nuggets of truth.  For example, she's not WRONG about the nihilist non-ideology of the modern right.  The post she cites is wrong because it assumes there are actual IDEAS there about how to "really run society" -- wrong, none of them are interested in actually running a society.  They are only interested in creating self-serving fiefdoms, not a "society" at all.

God, intellectually, we are so fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've lived in Texas my entire life and have been to the border multiple times in multiple places.  I have never once worn a cowboy hat.

I grew up 5 minutes from the border in the 80s.  In high school, we spent Friday and Saturday nights in Mexico, getting drunk, trying to talk our female peers out of their virginity and if that failed, itching for a fight.  Of course, more often than not, we had to settle for a fight.

Within about 10 minutes of this poser walking into one of "our" bars, we would have given him a choice  -- you're gonna need to give us that hat, or we're gonna have to kick the ever-living shit out of you.

One way or the other, we'd have been wearing that hat in short order.

elon-backwards-hat.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Sad thing is I know about a dozen people just like him here in Texas…spouts false narratives about California, constantly outraged about something, somehow works guns into half the conversations, and endlessly talks tough.  They’ve always been there, just now they’re emboldened as that behavior has gone ‘mainstream’.  

My experience at 43 years old is you always watch for the calm, quiet ones.  Often they’re the smartest/funniest/toughest.  

Naturally, I never shut the fuck up.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The people who aren't from Texas seem to work hardest at being Texan.

Fucking this.  Every thing he desperately cited...is true about most all of the men I know who grew up in Texas.  None of us spend any time trying to burnish our bonafides by bragging about how old our boots are, or how awesome our "aresenal" is.  We just . . . wear our boots.  And shoot our guns, when we have occasion to.

Fake carpetbagging Texans are steaming piles of shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking this.  Every thing he desperately cited...is true about most all of the men I know who grew up in Texas.  None of us spend any time trying to burnish our bonafides by bragging about how old our boots are, or how awesome our "aresenal" is.  We just . . . wear our boots.  And shoot our guns, when we have occasion to.

Fake carpetbagging Texans are steaming piles of shit.

I don't know.  I've been here my entire life and never hip fired a .50 cal.  I've also got old boots, and new boots.  And old hats, and newer hats.  How in the fuck can you be that fucking wealthy and still be so damn awkward. 

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

How in the fuck can you be that fucking wealthy and still be so damn awkward. 

Because he's trying to pretend he's not that fucking wealthy and trying to be a "man of the people".

Much/most of Surly, if we had that kind of money, we wouldn't have spent it on a fucking internet texting platform, and instead would have spent money on a private island filled with attractive people, as well as world travels.  Hell, with that kind of money, you could hunt actual people and not have to face jail-time.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Because he's trying to pretend he's not that fucking wealthy and trying to be a "man of the people".

That's actually celebrated these days, depending.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hell, with that kind of money, you could hunt actual people and not have to face jail-time.

The most dangerous game?   I'd spend it on Instagram over twitter, and be hunting a certain group of them.  Not to kill,  but to spoil them on that island you were talking about. 

• Haha 3

I had lunch with a guy who lead one of the engineering teams at Boring company not long ago.  Very, very bright engineer that tried but couldn't really walk the line of normal.  Probably on the spectrum somewhere, but a brilliant kid.   He was kind of all over the place wrt Elon.  He reported to him quarterly.   He said he was very, very smart.  But had the attention span of a 4yo.   Had a bunch of other weird things about him, but the way this guy talked about how smart he was, (and this dude is smart af (in engineering anyhow)) really makes me wonder how he's fucking this up so bad.  I'm guessing ego.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Had a bunch of other weird things about him, but the way this guy talked about how smart he was, (and this dude is smart af (in engineering anyhow)) really makes me wonder how he's fucking this up so bad.  I'm guessing ego.   

Or it's who he listens to, you know, such as luminaries like catturd2

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

The reviews are in!

“dumpster fire”

bizarre

a disastrous coming out party

“wild” and “combative”.

Slate dubbed her X’s “Chief Embarrassment Officer

image.thumb.png.c674282e6fce8579c3bdaa7b22ed0f2c.png

"Does Linda Yaccarino regret teaming up with Elon Musk yet?"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/30/linda-yaccarino-x-twitter-elon-musk

Spoiler

This time last year Linda Yaccarino was flying high. She had a prestigious job spearheading ad sales at NBCUniversal and a reputation as one of the best in the business when it came to building relationships between brands and agencies. She was known in advertising circles as the “Velvet Hammer” because of her smooth but hard-nosed negotiating style. She was successful and respected.

Then Elon Musk came knocking with an offer of the CEO job at X (formerly Twitter) and she seemingly thought, hey, why not, let me go ahead and set my reputation on fire. Yaccarino may have coveted a CEO gig but it was clear from the start that Musk was never going to give her the sort of control a CEO normally has. It seemed pretty obvious that Musk, who was forced to step down from the chief executive position after he put out a poll asking if he should resign and a 57.5% majority said he should, didn’t actually want anyone else in charge. Rather he wanted a puppet.

In short, Yaccarino was always being set up to fail, the latest victim of a phenomenon called the glass cliff in which women are more likely to be promoted into top jobs when an organization is in crisis and their chances of making the job a success are minimal. Other recent victims of the glass cliff phenomenon include the former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, former Reddit CEO Ellen Pao, and former British prime minister Theresa May.

Yaccarino is obviously not delusional. One imagines she knew the job wasn’t going to be easy. But I’m not sure she reckoned with just how humiliating the role would be. Perhaps, deep down, she hoped Musk might actually trust her to run X. But any illusions she might have had about being in charge were probably shattered on Wednesday, after she gave an interview at Vox Media’s Code Conference that was variously characterized as a “dumpster fire”, “bizarre”, “a disastrous coming out party”, “wild” and “combative”. Slate dubbed her X’s “Chief Embarrassment Officer” following the interview, and that’s essentially what she is.

If you want to watch the entire interview it’s here. The gist of it, however, is that Yaccarino seems to have no idea what is going on in the company she ostensibly runs. She didn’t seem to know very much about Musk’s plans to charge every user of X a subscription fee, for example. She responded to a question about antisemitism on X by vaguely saying: “Everybody deserves to speak their opinion.” And she refused to take questions from the audience. All in all, she did not give the impression of someone even nominally in charge.

The same day that Yaccarino was squirming on stage, the Financial Times published a less-than-glowing profile of the CEO. (The main photo was a portrait of Yaccarino in a crucifixion pose, which tells you everything you need to know.) At one point they quote a source who says that taking on the role has required Yaccarino to become a puppet in Musk’s regime. “The job is not to be CEO,” the source said. “You will not get to control Elon, you have to roll with the punches and channel him. If he says the sky is bright pink, you have to say you’re excited the sky is pink.”

Even if you say the sky is pink until you believe it yourself, that won’t save you from Musk. He has a reputation for throwing even his most ardent sycophants to the wolves. As Lou Paskalis, a longstanding Yaccarino confidant, told the Financial Times, Musk doesn’t seem to want to hand over the reins to Yaccarino at all. “Since the hire, it seems to me, whether consciously or subconsciously, most of his actions seem to sabotage her success,” he says. Stand aside everyone: the glass cliff is claiming its latest victim.

The same day that Yaccarino was squirming on stage, the Financial Times published a less-than-glowing profile of the CEO. (The main photo was a portrait of Yaccarino in a crucifixion pose, which tells you everything you need to know.)

image.thumb.png.7f2c21812b1d4d1d3820bf716d9784d4.png

• Haha 6

That interview keeps on giving, SIAP

https://mashable.com/article/twitter-x-ceo-yaccarino-paid-subscription

A telling moment midway through Yaccarino's 40-minute interview hinted that the CEO may have been unaware of Musk's plans to impose a mandatory monthly fee for users on Twitter/X. Musk announced his intention to implement the change earlier this month, stating that it was "the only way" he could think of to combat bots. 

However, when asked to confirm Musk's plans to turn Twitter/X into a paid website, Yaccarino appeared caught off guard and unable to answer any questions about it.

"Did he say we were moving to it specifically, or he's thinking about it?" Yaccarino inquired, after first asking Boorstin to repeat the question.

"He said that's the plan," answered Boorstin. "Did he consult you before he announced that?"

"We talk about everything," Yaccarino said, refusing to provide a direct answer while sounding an awful lot like someone defending their terrible partner to their friends.

Yaccarino then proceeded to dodge the question for several minutes, despite it being put to her for a third time, opting instead to divert attention to her role at Twitter/X and to praising Musk.

----------

She's CEO of a $10 billion company.  Let that sink in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's pretty pathetic.  We joke about him being the most divorced person in America, but that is a plea for twitter likes that is just downright embarrassing.

What's especially telling is that he has absolutely no one around him to tell him when he's fucking up, whether it's wearing his too-small cowboy hat backwards, or just posting photos or videos of himself that make him look pathetic.  That is the biggest indicator that he has no actual friends.  Just people he pays to tell him that his meme game is strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

Lol. I didn’t think he’d actually go and find that pic. 

This is like the aggy that wrecked his neighbor’s privacy fence. The lack of self-awareness is off the charts.

Next up… Cybertank! 

To own one of those, you need to meet these strict requirements:

• Be 18 years old
  • Have a state-issued ID
  • Pass a minimal background check.
  • Have $12,000 (or cheaper depending on where you buy it).

To go somewhere and fire one that's owned by somebody else and pretend you own it when posting on social media, you just need to....have a pulse?

That's not the humblebrag he thinks it is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

To own one of those, you need to meet these strict requirements:

• Be 18 years old
  • Have a state-issued ID
  • Pass a minimal background check.
  • Have $12,000 (or cheaper depending on where you buy it).

To go somewhere and fire one that's owned by somebody else and pretend you own it when posting on social media, you just need to....have a pulse?

That's not the humblebrag he thinks it is.

I didn’t watch the video. Do you mean he’s not shooting an automatic?

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

jI didn’t watch the video. Do you mean he’s not shooting an automatic?

I couldn't find the video, and didn't realize they made an automatic, but the only Barrett I've ever fired was a semi-automatic and only had like a 10-round magazine, which is kind of what that one looks like.  Also, it's a fucking precision rifle, but he's hip firing the fucking thing.

If he somehow has access to an automatic, I'd bet that rather than deal with the paperwork, he just went to a range that had one or knows somebody with one.

I did find these divorced dad gems

But how many hours does he sleep?

That explains everything, especially the raves.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I couldn't find the video, and didn't realize they made an automatic, but the only Barrett I've ever fired was a semi-automatic and only had like a 10-round magazine, which is kind of what that one looks like.  Also, it's a fucking precision rifle, but he's hip firing the fucking thing.
If he somehow has access to an automatic, I'd bet that rather than deal with the paperwork, he just went to a range that had one or knows somebody with one.
I did find these divorced dad gems
[/url] But how many hours does he sleep?
That explains everything, especially the raves.

This. Hip firing a fucking long-distance rifle is not the flex he thinks it is. It’s just stupid. It’s like having a quick-draw contest with a scoped Weatherby Mark V in 30/06…I mean…why? It’s the kind of idiotic thing that someone who wants to flex, but understands zero about firearms….ohhhhh, I get it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I'm starting to have a QNON-esque conspiracy theory that Saudi Arabia helped Musk buy Twitter to help spread misinformation to get Trump reelected.

Conspiracies GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I think you have a slightly rosier memory of old Twitter than most of us. Maybe it's easier to spread now (to a smaller, more like-minded audience), but it wasn't exactly difficult before Musk. "Just keep it one hair short of full blown crazy" wasn't particular restrictive.

• Hook 'Em 1