Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

33 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Lost in Space is about being lost in space.  

However, considering that these people were supposed to be smart there is a bit of dumbassery being lost in space.

If they would have killed Dr. Smith in the first episode, they'd have been home safe in a week.

Ditto Gilligan and the Island.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2023 at 3:45 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Painkiller is good.  Very frustrating, but good.  Sacklers should all be in prison.

I stuck with it for the story, but that is some of the worst acting I have ever seen.  I fast forwarded through most of it.

18 hours ago, Elvis said:

I stuck with it for the story, but that is some of the worst acting I have ever seen.  I fast forwarded through most of it.

Same opinion.  I watched it for the importance of the story, but it tried too hard to be clever with the topic like The Big Short and it just didn't work.  

Wrapped up Quarterback last night.  I understand the Mahomes hate I guess, but the dude can play some football.  I thought it was a joke when he got picked by the Chiefs in the first round.  He and Reid are a perfect match.  Like Montana and Walsh...

I would love it if Cousins helped get the Vikings their 1st Super Bowl win. 

Mariotta is just in to draw a check at this point.

Finally, contrasting Mariotta's and Cousin's wives to Mahome's... geeeeeez.  Brittany was wearing thin on my nerves.  Try and show "some" restraint and a teeny tiny bit of class every once and a while... Is that even possible with her?  Probably not.  

Started Kleo last night.  One episode in and it's intriguing.   Anything set during the Berlin Wall coming down interests me.

Side note.  I have always been shocked by how much the East Germans kowtowed to the Russians and built the Stasi around Gestapo lines.   I can not imagine living like that.

22 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Started Kleo last night.  One episode in and it's intriguing.   Anything set during the Berlin Wall coming down interests me.

Side note.  I have always been shocked by how much the East Germans kowtowed to the Russians and built the Stasi around Gestapo lines.   I can not imagine living like that.

I enjoyed it though it gets pretty goofy now and then.

• Like 1

Watching Painkller and 3 eps in.  I respectfully disagree with the poster above who said the acting is horrible.  It's the over-the-top characterizations.  They aren't horrible, but maybe a bit off-key. 

I do agree with the poster who said it was like The Big Short, but doesn't seem to work as well.  Maybe it's the Michael Lewis source material.  He always verges on parody of what he writes about and I may have been primed for that, having read the book.

So far, I think I like Dopesick (Hulu) better.  It's more of a docudrama, while Painkiller is more of a dramadoc, maybe even a tragicomedydoc.

It's also a Peter Berg joint, and he is always over-the-top.  I generally like that from him, but it hits a little wrong here.

One to avoid - "Who is Erin Carter." Put it on because it's filmed in and around Barcelona, has Douglas Henshall in it, and seemed wife friendly. 7 episodes that become increasingly painful to watch. 

All the 'made by netflix for netflix' dramas (as opposed to something already produced that netflix buys the rights to) these days seem so formulaic.

20 hours ago, Chopper said:

One to avoid - "Who is Erin Carter." Put it on because it's filmed in and around Barcelona, has Douglas Henshall in it, and seemed wife friendly. 7 episodes that become increasingly painful to watch. 

All the 'made by netflix for netflix' dramas (as opposed to something already produced that netflix buys the rights to) these days seem so formulaic.

Spoiler

We watched 5 minutes and opted out.  The mother telling the daughter how to properly punch someone and acting like everything was cool after the kid punched someone out was a little much.

21 hours ago, Chopper said:

Gave it a try. I'm just tired of these dumb shows where we pretend that a 105 lb woman would be tossing dudes around and not being murdered during these fight scenes.

Also, How about that good neighbor that watches her murder some chick and is like ....."ill help you bury the body"

Edited by Pam Cummings

On 8/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, trza-hawk said:

Just finished Swamp Kings. What an amazing limited series. So great to see everything that happened behind the scenes of the classic Florida Gators teams from back in the day.

I ended up watching it and it was boring and generic as fuck. Learned nothing at all from this.

• Hook 'Em 1