Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

12 hours ago, Grande Mart said:

This one in Astoria always concerns me a bit. Not to mention all the bridges in Portland knowing they will pretty much all collapse when the great Cascadia Megaquake happens

Astoria–Megler_Bridge.jpeg

I'm squarely on team "tunnels are worse than bridges," but this bridge immediately came to mind when reading this thread.  I've driven over quite a few discussed here, and this is one of the only ones that had me mentally saying nope, nope, nope as I approached it.  Happy never to drive over this one again if I can avoid it, even though that area of the coast is stunning.

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yep, that's my take on it too. We had one of those old school 80's 4 door Chevy Malibu fleet cars with a second brake pedal and steering wheel. He was cool as a cucumber about it. "You guys want to listen to some music? What do you like, Rock?" Then he put it on the local rock station. When we got over the bridge and into Bridge City, he had me pull over in a parking lot, looked in the back seat and asked "Who's driving back?"

One day later in the week, we're driving around listening to the radio again and the DJ comes on and says "Caller number 9 wins 2 tickets to Molly Hatchet!" I was driving at the time and he grabbed the wheel and whipped us into the gas station we were about to pass and jumped out and ran for the pay phone...he didn't win, though. 

You should change that story and say that he won the tickets.

31 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Jesus Christ.

It's actually not that bad.

The span is not that long and the photos make it seem much worse than it is. That turn is freaky though.

The weather can be dicey. Which is why it took 6 years to build....and unlike in the US, it's estimated 15 year toll payback period was completed in 10 years and after that, get this, they actually stopped tolling.

It's an amazing drive and there is a visitors center on the north side of the bridge.

image.png.4d83e05a391d9026e177b095f7c3b680.png

Pic I took. I don't know that dude in front. Just some random Eurotrash.

20220716_152742.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Try one of the old wooden causeway bridges to Padre Island.  You couldn’t steer. 
spacer.png

if memory serves it's not very deep if you end up in the water.  b/t 4 and 8 ft deep i think.

12 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What the fuck 

These are the same people that dominate the skiing and shooting event in the Olympics.  Bunch of weirdos like to add difficulty to everything.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

17112557.thumb.jpg.0a6ff4b2a98d35d7772ae61b55da5076.jpg

Aguille-du-Midi.thumb.jpg.a595ce0c28353531a19ba4d851e2e4c8.jpg

Untitled-135.jpg.383e7fee04eed5a07234e4cdbd6705a7.jpg

All day, any day... just don't talk about it while on it.

On a related note, when you go through the Mont Blanc tunnel, they hand you this brochure that tells you all about safety, emergency procedures, etc.  Its a long ass tunnel and you can't wait to get through it.  Why?

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

If we're doing nightmare fuel roads...

64645599338f2.image.jpg?crop=1175,1175,2

Million-Dollar-Highway.jpg

We…or should say I…drove the Million Dollar Highway last year during our trip to Durango.  Being on the dropoff side was legit the only time I’ve ever been a white knuckle driver and actually relieved to be behind a slow poke.  

Wife and kids were raving about the scenery, and when they all leaned to one side to gape at the dropoff it took every fiber of my being to keep from shouting “GODAMMIT DONT YOU FUCKING DARE UPSET THE BALANCE OF THIS SHITTY ASS V6 EXPLORER YOU FUCKWADS”.  

Bridges ain’t shit

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

44 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you know, you know.  This was terrifying as a young driver.

spacer.png

Also the 90 degree turn at the other end.

My first car was this 71 Ford Econoline van. Driving this bitch across the dam at 16 years old was hair-raising to say the least.

IMG_0401.JPG

58 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We…or should say I…drove the Million Dollar Highway last year during our trip to Durango.  Being on the dropoff side was legit the only time I’ve ever been a white knuckle driver and actually relieved to be behind a slow poke.  

Wife and kids were raving about the scenery, and when they all leaned to one side to gape at the dropoff it took every fiber of my being to keep from shouting “GODAMMIT DONT YOU FUCKING DARE UPSET THE BALANCE OF THIS SHITTY ASS V6 EXPLORER YOU FUCKWADS”.  

Bridges ain’t shit

Right with you. Worst drive I ever did was in Bolivia going down from La Paz to Santa Cruz. Did if twice a month for 9 months. Hated that drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The span is not that long and the photos make it seem much worse than it is. That turn is freaky though.

The weather can be dicey. Which is why it took 6 years to build....and unlike in the US, it's estimated 15 year toll payback period was completed in 10 years and after that, get this, they actually stopped tolling.

It's an amazing drive and there is a visitors center on the north side of the bridge.

20220716_152742.jpg

Our Norwegian exchange daughter was stationed at an airbase on the Molde side of that bridge (I think it was on that side).  She worked base security, walked the perimeter with a rifle and a guard dog.  We asked her what her actual job was, she smiled and said "hunting Russians."  The Norwegians will ski 500 miles to shoot you in the face, then ski 500 miles home, and do so fueled only by 2 of their version of a Kit-Kat bar.

18 minutes ago, smuggs said:

My first car was this 71 Ford Econoline van. Driving this bitch across the dam at 16 years old was hair-raising to say the least.

IMG_0401.JPG

I presume that a Foghat 8-track was permanently stuck in the player.  Right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, smuggs said:

IMG_0401.JPG

Damn, avatar definitely checks out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We asked her what her actual job was, she smiled and said "hunting Russians."

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95247xdbpswzgc4nsyju7

Had a Norwegian roommate for a semester in college. I really hated the guy. Was a smug dipshit.

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Had a Norwegian roommate for a semester in college. I really hated the guy. Was a smug dipshit.

I met a Norwegian girl skiing in Colorado one year. She was one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. Unfortunately, this was before cell phones so no pics. But, ahhh, the good old days.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Our Norwegian exchange daughter was stationed at an airbase on the Molde side of that bridge (I think it was on that side).  She worked base security, walked the perimeter with a rifle and a guard dog.  We asked her what her actual job was, she smiled and said "hunting Russians."  The Norwegians will ski 500 miles to shoot you in the face, then ski 500 miles home, and do so fueled only by 2 of their version of a Kit-Kat bar.

worst penthouse forum letter ever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If you were a Norwegian dude, you'd be smug as shit too.  Maybe the best quality of life on earth, they're super outdoorsy in one of the most beautiful places on the planet and yes.....the women are absolutely stunning.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I met a Norwegian girl skiing in Colorado one year. She was one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. Unfortunately, this was before cell phones so no pics. But, ahhh, the good old days.

Our Norwegian exchange daughter is a knockout.  And her younger sister is significantly prettier than her.  She and my son are pals (as in, they're friends and goof off, zero romantic issues), and I don't get it.  Had I been around a girl who looked like that at his age, I'd have been a stammering, embarrassing fool.  He says "nah, she's like my sister, so it's all cool."  And one of his best friends from his time in Berlin is another Norwegian gal who is an 11.  They're MOSTLY friends.....we'll see where that goes.  But he ran with a whole crowd of Norwegians there, and they are truly ridiculously gorgeous people.  And yeah, no pics, because I'm not doxing our friends.  I'm presuming that on their many viking raids, they only stole the most gorgeous of English maidens and such.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

"Galloping Gertie"

15 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve always been more afraid of tunnels than bridges. Bridges don’t faze me. 

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Bridges ain’t shit

We were at the top of Pikes Peak, well above the tree line, and it started snowing, and then thundering, and then lightning, adios!!!. On the way down, the snow turned to sleet and an icy, slushy mix was covering the road. Nobody said a word on the way down. White knuckle city!

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

spacer.png

In HS, I drove my friends Chevelle down the hill on 2222, ~ 150+ MPH, used 3 of the 4 lanes to make the turn at the bottom.  

Item #34 of stupid shit I did and why I'm lucky to be here.

Moore's Crossing over Onion Creek, Elroy, Texas (Richard Moya Park) Built in In 1915, 3 of the 6 spans from the 1884 iron Congress Avenue Bridge were used to construct the bridge. It had a wooden deck, and squeaked when you drove across it; sounded like it was falling apart.

image.thumb.png.bdc7099ee9e3ae3c54c034c1c7c30b8c.png image.png.93266130d4561fcd584570495f424046.png 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I drove over that on a normal summer day and can say riding on a Lao Air Dash8 loaded like a flatbed into Luang Pangbang was more enjoyable for me.

8kowl6.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

spacer.png

That was a piece of cake unless an 18 wheeler was coming from Lakeway.

Parking in the tiny spaces at the middle of the damn was pretty tricky though.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

correction:

Even worse penthouse forum letter.

I remember picking up my Norwegian au pair at the airport, saw this statuesque blond goddess walking towards us, holy fuck!!! She was walking next to my au pair. A few months later, was with my friend at a beer & pizza joint in Boulder, and in walked a pack of 10-12 au pairs, from Norway, Sweden, Germany & Spain.

image.png.bcd36055b995c1c56bb9e6ac28fa8cd8.png

Got home at 5 in the morning. 

Wife was sitting at the table drinking coffee. "Where the hell have you been!!!" "With Laila and her friends?" "Doing what?"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I remember picking up my Norwegian au pair at the airport, saw this statuesque blond goddess walking towards us, holy fuck!!! She was walking next to my au pair. A few months later, was with my friend at a beer & pizza joint in Boulder, and in walked a pack of 10-12 au pairs, from Norway, Sweden, Germany & Spain.

image.png.bcd36055b995c1c56bb9e6ac28fa8cd8.png

Got home at 5 in the morning. 

Wife was sitting at the table drinking coffee. "Where the hell have you been!!!" "With Laila and her friends?" "Doing what?"

alright, now we are making progress...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Keef said:

This and the Bay Bridge in SF always freaked me out when I lived in the West Coast.  You know those quakes are coming eventually, and with the Bay Bridge, you can be stuck there for an hour or more during a busy part of the day.

Yeah I lived in the bay area for over a decade and crossed all of those bridges countless times. The only time I ever gave it any thought was the bay bridge during gridlock. But when you're on the lower deck and stuck for a half hour or more, your mind will wander into what-ifs occasionally. Golden Gate never bothered me at all for some reason. I probably crossed it on my bike hundreds of times on my rides into the Marin headlands. Fantastically scenic ride, although occasionally a bit chilly if the wind was really ripping. Half the times I would just stop on GGB on my way back into the city and just check out the scenery (ships below the bridge, yoga pants crossing the bridge).

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

IMG_0401.JPG

jeff-spicoli-van.gif.1281a20fd70246d5169aff248dcb6cea.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

20220716_152742.jpg

Ok those make it look almost normal. The earlier ones looked like something out of a dream sequence in Inception.

This motherfucker couldn't even wait till the bodies were cold. Source is r/LinkedinLunatics.

image.thumb.png.08ce6950304c5e4ec0d3d6b7f5e4e221.png

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

On 3/26/2024 at 10:25 AM, Helobious said:

A tunnel would take years. They’ll have the bridge rebuilt and open in a year tops. Governments have emergency contracts in place for when stuff like this happens, with massive financial incentives for companies to finish ahead of schedule. And with no traffic to worry about they can work almost unimpeded. They had that bridge in Minneapolis open like 10 months after it fell in the river. That Philly bridge that collapsed recently was reopened weeks later, although it was over land. 

"You want a bridge?  I can get you a bridge.  I can get you a bridge by 3:00 this afternoon, with fucking pylon guards"

Good to know you're always on the case Hloby.  

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Ok those make it look almost normal. The earlier ones looked like something out of a dream sequence in Inception.

This motherfucker couldn't even wait till the bodies were cold. Source is r/LinkedinLunatics.

If I'm the hiring manager at Hallmark Cards (Catastrophic Disaster division), I'm gonna give this guy a serious look. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Geez

Sales huh?

I found his profile photo:

ab.png.f6f7b55be14a435c7b9b4be7a0e7434c.png

• Hook 'Em 1