Spring Game - 4/20/2024

msucolt45

20 minutes ago, NAVY said:

That was so fun 

IMG_2917.jpeg

I can't remember the last time I saw a spring game crowd so full. On TV, the stands looked almost like a normal game on the lower decks. And anytime they showed the crowd, everyone looked straight up giddy. What a great day for the horns.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/14/2024 at 8:45 AM, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

My 7 year old wants to get there early to get autographs. Will Quinn be signing? That’s the one my son really wants.

My 3 year old daughter just wants to see Bevo or as she says “Beebo”. 

You're raising them tight SULH.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Isaiah Bond too. His TD catch was fucking beautiful. A huge portion of the 75 yards was after the catch.

It's crazy.  I was pumped when we got Johntay last year, and he's been looking good, but he's only like the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Love Ewers, but man he is a beating in interviews.

Definitely sends me to sleepy town.

yeah, he's not exactly dynamic.   I'm not sure if that translates to the field, but it's pretty clear he's never gonna be one of those guys who dazzles in interviews (which might make absolutely no difference whatsoever).

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's crazy.  I was pumped when we got Johntay last year, and he's been looking good, but he's only like the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team.

I remember during the late mack brown and charlie strong years, watching our offense be so insanely completely dogshit for an entire game. We'd have whole games where we'd maybe sustain one drive, with the rest of the game being 3 and outs. It's honestly unbelievable how quickly Sark transformed Texas on offense. We have explosive playmakers all over the offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

yeah, he's not exactly dynamic.   I'm not sure if that translates to the field, but it's pretty clear he's never gonna be one of those guys who dazzles in interviews (which might make absolutely no difference whatsoever).

Probably won't have an impact on his play but could have an impact on his bottom line as it could limit his sponsorship opportunities.  He needs to work with Gbenda more.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I mean, he came to Texas fully knowing Arch was ahead of him and most programs and even our fanbase overlooked him till until his badass senior year.  In all his interviews, he exudes lots of confidence and wants to be at Texas and play for Sark.  Him watching Quinn and Arch go in the 1st round is only going to help knowing he’s next in line.  He had other P5 offers and chose Texas knowing he’ll be behind Arch.  I’m not worried about him transferring if he sees a window for himself to start at Texas for 2 years.

With everything said, I was extremely impressed  with him today running with the 2nd team considering the dude should be in high school.  Dude is a NFL talent and props to Sark for offering him and trusting his evaluation.  As long as Sark is here, we’re going to have elite QBs.

We only start freshmen around here.

I don't want to suck off Arch too much here, and I feel the need to clarify that I deffo want Quinn to start and appreciate whole-heartedly how Ewers has lead Texas back to national relevance and understand how much of that is specifically on Quinn Ewers himself proving to be a legitimate all-time Texas QB. But if I'm feeling honest here, I feel like the tipping point for Texas football was when Arch committed. It's not that Arch himself turned Texas around, but rather his commitment was a "Grow the beard" moment for the football program. That is the singular point when news about Texas football flipped from the default news being disappointment, to being on the upswing. It felt like the moment UT Football got it's mojo back, like Arch committing coincided with the malaise being slapped out of the program. It honestly felt quite a bit like Ricky Williams winning the heisman, in how Texas was able to spring board off the good vibes energy emanating off of Arch's commitment and turn it into something worth getting excited about. I feel happy for the current students in Austin, because UT Football being great was an enormous part of my college experience and made my run at UT feel completely magical, like some of the best memories of my life. I'm happy a generation of new longhorns will get to experience the fun that comes when Texas is a force in college football.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Speaking of aggy … wonder what propaganda they’ll spew about Arch’s performance today?

- “Arm looked surprisingly weak and I was surprised how slow he was.”

”WRs (who suck) bailed him out.  He could have just as easily been 4-30 with infinity interceptions (if the defense didn’t suck so bad)”

”He’s probably just better off riding pine in BDF because he’d be a back up for Elko too.”  

“Owen just took his job.”  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Speaking of aggy … wonder what propaganda they’ll spew about Arch’s performance today?

aggy are the most projecting losers on the planet, so they'll probably just say that he'll transfer to oklahoma or something like their highly rated qbs do. Whenever they look for faults in UT, all they see is their own.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

- “Arm looked surprisingly weak and I was surprised how slow he was.”

”WRs (who suck) bailed him out.  He could have just as easily been 4-30 with infinity interceptions (if the defense didn’t suck so bad)”

”He’s probably just better off riding pine in BDF because he’d be a back up for Elko too.”  

“Owen just took his job.”  

What’s crazy is I wouldn’t know if you made those up or copy/pasted without going to texags myself. Well done. 

• Haha 1

This is easy, fellas. Since they’ve decided that arch is terrible, him looking great must mean that the Texas defense is going to get shredded all season. And that ewers not even looking as good as arch in his limited time against that bad defense means the offense will stagnate as well. 4-8 tops!

36 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I’d say no worse than 3rd at this point?

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

I’d say no worse than 3rd at this point?

Even so, we haven't had that kind of talent in a long time.  

Granted I've only seen the spring game, but my eyes said Moore, Wingo, Bond, then Cook...and we still have Silas coming in the summer.

It's an embarrassment of riches...I can't imagine Niblett stays

I don't want to suck off Arch too much here, and I feel the need to clarify that I deffo want Quinn to start and appreciate whole-heartedly how Ewers has lead Texas back to national relevance and understand how much of that is specifically on Quinn Ewers himself proving to be a legitimate all-time Texas QB. But if I'm feeling honest here, I feel like the tipping point for Texas football was when Arch committed. It's not that Arch himself turned Texas around, but rather his commitment was a "Grow the beard" moment for the football program. That is the singular point when news about Texas football flipped from the default news being disappointment, to being on the upswing. It felt like the moment UT Football got it's mojo back, like Arch committing coincided with the malaise being slapped out of the program. It honestly felt quite a bit like Ricky Williams winning the heisman, in how Texas was able to spring board off the good vibes energy emanating off of Arch's commitment and turn it into something worth getting excited about. I feel happy for the current students in Austin, because UT Football being great was an enormous part of my college experience and made my run at UT feel completely magical, like some of the best memories of my life. I'm happy a generation of new longhorns will get to experience the fun that comes when Texas is a force in college football.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

That remains to be seen, but in addition to the transfers, Wingo and DeAndre Moore are looking legit. Wonder if Silas Bolden is having second thoughts about showing up this summer?

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Ryan Wingo is going to be a stud.  We are so deep at WR.

I have heard this too many times recently in the spring only to underwhelm in the season.   

Already buying my tickets to Canton to see Arch’s Hall of fame entrance. Vasek looked really good. Edge is going to be a strength.. Wingo is going to be really good. January flashed. Savea was active. Washington going to be a very good TE. Secondary struggled. I would blow off the poor communication, but saw to much of that last year. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Ewers has some pinpoint throws but doesn't have the field vision of a great QB, often overlooking obvious targets.  He's Phillip Rivers 2.0, great natural talent but could not put the mental part of the game with the physical. 

His HOF presenter should mention that.

• Haha 1