Sydney stabbing incident

InkaUtexas

Damn this is messed up. Perpetrator not identified yet.

SYDNEY (AP) — A man stabbed six people to death at a busy Sydney shopping center Saturday before he was fatally shot, police said, with hundreds fleeing the chaotic scene, many weeping as they carried their children. Eight people, including a 9-month-old, were injured.

New South Wales police said they believed a 40-year-old man was responsible for the Saturday afternoon attack at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, in the city’s eastern suburbs. They said they were not able to name him until a formal identification had taken place but that they weren’t currently treating the attack as terrorism-related.

The man was shot dead by a female police inspector after he turned and raised a knife, New South Wales Assistant Police Commissioner Anthony Cooke told reporters.

“This all happened very, very quickly — the officer that was in the vicinity attended on her own, was guided to the location of the offender by people who were in the center,” he said. “She took the actions that she did saving a range of people’s lives.”

https://apnews.com/article/sydney-shopping-center-stabbing-shot-bondi-52318d684ebbab17dcac33a833ba0d51

• Rage+1 1

I thought maybe something bad happened to one of Sweeney's tits.  Thank goodness.  

Sorry, I gotta make jokes with something this horrifying to get over the disgust.  

And yes, what was the caliber of the knife?  

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It's tough to kill with a blade unless it's a gladiolus or broad sword. 

I bet the victims were staring at their phones.

Probably not tough when your victim isn't expecting it. Imagine being in a shop or a store just minding your business, then you get a knife to the chest. 

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This is a pretty good write up. No known motive, but they’re blaming it on unspecified mental illness.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/major-incident-declared-at-westfield-in-bondi-junction/0d713266-ca1b-449d-8dd5-cdf422ea092b

Kinda common place these days with this particular age group. Just paying attention. This age group

of people have likely been given the most therapy of any generation before them.

They are the most “maligned” among us. Yet they are so fucking unhappy. I have a sad answer for them. It never gets any better. Sack the fuck up.

If the best they can do off their  meds is grab a knife and go stab a bunch of people—they need to be force fed meds for the rest of their lives.

Against their will. If that is all they can do then you have two choices: institutionalized or dead. Imost people can’t control themselves any better than that. People just don’t want to hear the truth which is: they can control themselves to a degree they’d rather not want to. 

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

One common point coming out is the Officer who shot him is a Hero. Um, she did her job, confronted a maniac and took care of it when he turned on her. Is that her job?

Australia might be different.  But in the US a police officer is not legally obligated to risk their life.  Might be different down over there.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/do-the-police-have-an-obligation-to-protect-you/

IMG_2216.png

And the first reply is about “Islam-religion of peace”…when the killer was a generic white dude. Gotta love the predictability.
On the bright side, shows you how those pussy Australians are. Had this dude been in the US, his crazy ass could have obtained multiple firearms and racked up 10x the body count. What a bunch of losers the aussies are.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Kinda common place these days with this particular age group. Just paying attention. This age group

of people have likely been given the most therapy of any generation before them.

Therapy leads to knife violence?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

One common point coming out is the Officer who shot him is a Hero. Um, she did her job, confronted a maniac and took care of it when he turned on her. Is that her job?

I think people generally just try to find the positives in horrible situations. That and our bar for police officers is pretty fuckin low

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

They are the most “maligned” among us. Yet they are so fucking unhappy. I have a sad answer for them. It never gets any better. Sack the fuck up.

If the best they can do off their  meds is grab a knife and go stab a bunch of people—they need to be force fed meds for the rest of their lives.

Against their will. If that is all they can do then you have two choices: institutionalized or dead. Imost people can’t control themselves any better than that. People just don’t want to hear the truth which is: they can control themselves to a degree they’d rather not want to. 

Generation blaming is dumb. There’s a lot of sadness all over the world and people are struggling from every age group. Social isolation and cost of living and so many other stressors. The modern internet seems really good at pushing people over the edge 

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

If the best a person can do off their medication is murder innocent people: I am sorry but they need to be forced to take their medication or be institutionalized. There is no dignity letting a person not take their medication.  None. Now people are dead bc we think it’s “mean” to force someone to take their meds. It’s not. The only difference is he didn’t have a gun he had a knife. He could have killed the same amount of people or more with a gun but if he’d had a GUN people would just be focused on that. Which is fine. Gun violence enrages me. But I’m tired of people missing the very large elephant in the room. Fucked up people being allowed to wing it. And that’s a recipe for disaster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And the first reply is about “Islam-religion of peace”…when the killer was a generic white dude. Gotta love the predictability.
On the bright side, shows you how those pussy Australians are. Had this dude been in the US, his crazy ass could have obtained multiple firearms and racked up 10x the body count. What a bunch of losers the aussies are.

As a side-show, a Russian and Syrian with big followings in Sydney started a social media storm by claiming it was a random guy named “Benjamin Cohen.” Their followers are really stupid so they had to clarify “the Jew.”  An Australian news station picked it up, so hopefully he’ll get paid. 

• Rage+1 3

18 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

If the best a person can do off their medication is murder innocent people: I am sorry but they need to be forced to take their medication or be institutionalized. There is no dignity letting a person not take their medication.  None. Now people are dead bc we think it’s “mean” to force someone to take their meds. It’s not. The only difference is he didn’t have a gun he had a knife. He could have killed the same amount of people or more with a gun but if he’d had a GUN people would just be focused on that. Which is fine. Gun violence enrages me. But I’m tired of people missing the very large elephant in the room. Fucked up people being allowed to wing it. And that’s a recipe for disaster. 

what meds was this guy not taking?

17 minutes ago, Foosters said:

what meds was this guy not taking?

I read a couple of articles that he was known to police and had a mental Health history and issues. I assume he’d been diagnosed and likely prescribed meds and so on. Just went off them. It’s not a massive leap of logic. This shit happened more times than we can count of late. Off meds and does something violent is happening with increasing regularity. 

Police believe he may have been targeting women in the attack for the most part.

Cauchi’s family released a statement saying he “has battled with mental health issues” since he was a teenager.

“Joel’s actions were truly horrific, and we are still trying to comprehend what has happened,” the family said.

“We are in contact with both the New South Wales Police Force and Queensland Police Service and have no issues with the Police Officer who shot our son as she was only doing her job to protect others, and we hope she is coping alright,” the statement said.

Andrew Cauchi, the father of Joel Cauchi, told CNN affiliate 9 News that he was “heartbroken” for the families of the victims.

“I’m extremely sorry. I’m heartbroken for you. Look, this is so horrendous, that I can’t even explain it,” he said. “To you he’s a monster. To me, he was a very sick boy. He was a very sick boy.”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/15/australia/australia-sydney-mall-attacker-targeted-women-victims-intl-hnk

Western countries do a very, very poor job of getting dangerously mentally ill people off the street.
But the US....well, we take the added step of making it super-duper-mega-easy for those people to acquire as many high-capacity firearms as they want.  
Because AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!  We don't just have crazy people, we don't just make sure they can walk around in society, we make sure they can carry as much armament as an infantry platoon wherever they want!  WOOHOO!  FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!

Come on man. You know better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Western countries do a very, very poor job of getting dangerously mentally ill people off the street.

But the US....well, we take the added step of making it super-duper-mega-easy for those people to acquire as many high-capacity firearms as they want.  

Because AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!  We don't just have crazy people, we don't just make sure they can walk around in society, we make sure they can carry as much armament as an infantry platoon wherever they want!  WOOHOO!  FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!

Off your meds?

• Haha 2