Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

A plastics plant Lincoln adjacent took a direct hit, working to unearth trapped workers now. Storm crossed I-80, and plowed pretty hard into the new money Omaha suburbs after tossing a number of semi’s. My wife teaches history in a preserved 1 room school house in a park, and had to ride it out with a bunch of 4th graders in the city parks reptile center where they let the kids pet the snakes to keep them calm. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Buddy in Lincoln is clear, sounds like he spent a lot of the evening in a parking garage basement

He may not want to stray too far, I think it may pop off again tonight and tomorrow. It went 0 to tornado much faster than usual so thankfully today wasn’t the spring game that’s scheduled for tomorrow which would have been one hell of a goat rodeo 

Growing up in Missouri, one of my best friends lived up the hill, and his parents were Okies.  It was a bad weather day and we were watching random daytime TV in his living room.  His mom was there.  All of a sudden she spoke up "let's go to the basement, NOW".  No sirens, no nothing.  We went to the basement, which was a walkout with windows to the south.

Fucking funnel cloud came screaming up the hill right at us.  It lifted up just enough to not do any damage as it crossed over the house.  It didn't do much damage anywhere, it never really touched down, but she KNEW it was coming, almost supernaturally.  Craziest thing I've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They crossed the Missouri with a vengeance. Bearing down on Des Moines now.

I really hope we don’t run this back tomorrow. (Which was originally supposed to be the spicy day) I missed being in the big part of the storm by being at a family funeral south of Lincoln, but we all knew things were going to be bad with the way the 125 year old country Lutheran church was swaying and some of the grossest humidity I can ever recall. (Which makes me wonder what my German speaking ancestors thought the first time they got a plains storm showing up 1890ish)

Edited by Royalfan5
  • Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Growing up in Missouri, one of my best friends lived up the hill, and his parents were Okies.  It was a bad weather day and we were watching random daytime TV in his living room.  His mom was there.  All of a sudden she spoke up "let's go to the basement, NOW".  No sirens, no nothing.  We went to the basement, which was a walkout with windows to the south.

Fucking funnel cloud came screaming up the hill right at us.  It lifted up just enough to not do any damage as it crossed over the house.  It didn't do much damage anywhere, it never really touched down, but she KNEW it was coming, almost supernaturally.  Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Not gonna lie, I thought the 2nd paragraph was going to be a LOT different after the mom invited you the basement. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

She could likely feel the pressure drop 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Rip76 said:

Looks like a nasty one in Seymour, Tx.

I've been watching that one. Luckily, we still don't have anything left to tear up at our deer lease. The big one went south, but the lease got pelted with heavy hail and was in a tornado warning earlier from the storm north of the one that has produced this big tornado.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

She was an Okie.  Generations of selection pressure gives Okies an innate skill at detecting tornados.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/26/2024 at 6:01 PM, conVINCEd said:

I was driving back to Austin from Dallas when that terrible tornado hit Jerrell however many years ago.  That was the last time I pegged a speedometer.

Was he handheld? 

• Haha 2

On 4/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Parliament said:

She was an Okie.  Generations of selection pressure gives Okies an innate skill at detecting tornados.

Natives got to employ their skill Saturday night, little Sulphur got nailed.

image.png.1dade5fd6645f035e054475d9751b849.png

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 9:26 AM, FartingMonk said:

First time in a tornado shelter yesterday.  It was eerily calm before the sirens started going off.  Not a fan.  The bars were packed afterwards though 

Unfortunately, here in Texas we call it the bathroom. I've gotten a $7,500 quote on a small 3-person shelter bolted to the slab in the garage, but it's such an irrational purchase statistically.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2024 at 1:24 AM, atomheartbevo said:

That dark red splotch between Kiefer and Bixby is right over my house.  We had a bit of rotation develop near us and the sirens went off so we spent about 20 minutes in the shelter Saturday night.  Good times.  Dogs loved having everyone snuggled up close for a bit.  They are troopers about getting in the shelter.  My wife has trained them well on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Unfortunately, here in Texas we call it the bathroom. I've gotten a $7,500 quote on a small 3-person shelter bolted to the slab in the garage, but it's such an irrational purchase statically.

We got one of these for about $7K in 2021.

product-pictures-1.thumb.png.654547df2caa1edc5233e3970379b67b.png

Wife's peace of mind is well worth the investment.  We've been in it three times in the last 2.5 years.

Unfortunately, I think the company that made these went out of business.  Probably because their primary celebrity endorser was Dickeater Stoops.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:04 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

She could likely feel the pressure drop 

Hip or trick knee started aching or arthritis flared up suddenly. 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:26 AM, FartingMonk said:

First time in a tornado shelter yesterday.  It was eerily calm before the sirens started going off.  Not a fan.  The bars were packed afterwards though 

Been in the shelter three or four times spending summers as a youth on the grandparents' farm in N. Texas as a kid. Big hole in the ground with a heavy ass door that opened up from the ground. Concrete steps down into darkness, with only a kerosene lantern and some flashlights. Door was not rainproof so there was usually water in the bottom. Emergency radio would alarm would go off in the middle of the night and we'd grab flashlights and head for the shelter. We'd sit in the dark and look at each other and listen to the emergency radio and slap at mosquitos and sweat in the humidity and hope there were no snakes. 

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Been in the shelter three or four times spending summers as a youth on the grandparents' farm in N. Texas as a kid. Big hole in the ground with a heavy ass door that opened up from the ground. Concrete steps down into darkness, with only a kerosene lantern and some flashlights. Door was not rainproof so there was usually water in the bottom. Emergency radio would alarm would go off in the middle of the night and we'd grab flashlights and head for the shelter. We'd sit in the dark and look at each other and listen to the emergency radio and slap at mosquitos and sweat in the humidity and hope there were no snakes. 

And if that ain’t country,  I’ll kiss your ass.

59 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

How come no one south of I-40 has basements?  Soil types?

I'll admit that they're mostly a hassle up here and are prone to flooding and all kinds of issues, but I definitely get some peace of mind knowing that there's a convenient place to hide from naders.

• Royalfan5 changed the title to Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)