Rank these sitcoms

Beau Vine

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation

Parks and Rec

30/Community/MF/HIWMYM

Big Bang Theory

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Community, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation

1) Community 

2) Parks and Rec

3) 30 Rock

4) HIMYM

5) Modern Family 

6) Big Bang Theory

I’ll give Community a slight edge over Parks because it wasn’t afraid to get weird.

Big Bang Theory’s deal with MAX remains baffling. A majority of their audience doesn’t or can’t use streaming apps and would rather watch reruns on TBS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

30 Rock

Parks and Rec

Community

Big Bang Theory

Never watched HIMYM or MF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 R

PnR

Community / Modern Family

HIMYM 

BBT

We've been rewatching MF with my kids and the first 4 or 5 seasons is elite.  Quick, smart funny.  If it finished after S5 I'd have it above PnR.

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

We've been rewatching MF with my kids and the first 4 or 5 seasons is elite.  Quick, smart funny.  If it finished after S5 I'd have it above PnR.

That's kind of what I was wondering, because I'm looking for something to binge next, and a good friend has been insisting on MF.  

Recently binged thru P&R and 30R, and 30R started the best, but completely fell apart in the last two seasons, while P&R had one of the best finales since MASH.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

HIMYM & Big Bang Theory are pure garbage.

I halfway agree.  BBT is one of the worst shows to ever reach that level of popularity.  HIMYM was good for the first 4 seasons or so, and then became a parody of itself for the remainder of the series.  There were moments of actual humor.

Big Bang Theory without a laugh track should be reserved for Gitmo.

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Community

Parks and Rec excluding Season 1

Modern Family

Parks and Rec Season 1

I started watching P&R during season 1 when it came out and thought it was crap.  And it was.

Seasons 2-end were great.   They pretty seamlessly changed Leslie Knope from "female Michael Scott" into kind of a Mary Tyler Moore reincarnate.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I started watching P&R during season 1 when it came out and thought it was crap.  And it was.

Seasons 2-end were great.   They pretty seamlessly changed Leslie Knope from "female Michael Scott" into kind of a Mary Tyler Moore reincarnate.

Yup.  I started P&R between the 3rd and 4th season.  I 1-3 over a few seasons and couldn't believe the jump the show made, essentially instantly, in the break between season 1 and season 2.  And it's 100% because they transitioned Leslie away from being an awkward buffoon to essentially the complete opposite of that.

The development of the ancillary characters and the Pawnee universe in P&R takes it to the next level.  Plus, as someone who has worked directly in small town government in the Midwest, so much of those side plots, town hall meetings, and just angry uniformed citizen shit hit me hard.  It's absolutely spot on.

And that's not even getting into the acting performances.  From season 3 on, basically everyone in that show fucking slays their characters.  

• Drool 1

43 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That's kind of what I was wondering, because I'm looking for something to binge next, and a good friend has been insisting on MF.  

Recently binged thru P&R and 30R, and 30R started the best, but completely fell apart in the last two seasons, while P&R had one of the best finales since MASH.

The later seasons are fine but you can tell the writing isn't as good.  They've introduced extra characters that they didn't need.

It's one of those shows for me that I didn't appreciate as much as I should've when it first came out.  The jokes are subtle, funny and fast.  Later on they start tipping their pitches.

We all know about Sofia Vergara, but her comedic chops and timing are fantastic.  

It's worth a watch

• Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  I started P&R between the 3rd and 4th season.  I 1-3 over a few seasons and couldn't believe the jump the show made, essentially instantly, in the break between season 1 and season 2.  And it's 100% because they transitioned Leslie away from being an awkward buffoon to essentially the complete opposite of that.

The development of the ancillary characters and the Pawnee universe in P&R takes it to the next level.  Plus, as someone who has worked directly in small town government in the Midwest, so much of those side plots, town hall meetings, and just angry uniformed citizen shit hit me hard.  It's absolutely spot on.

And that's not even getting into the acting performances.  From season 3 on, basically everyone in that show fucking slays their characters.  

I've researched PnR a few times all the way through. I 100% agree with what you said. They did maybe the best job since Cheers in bringing in new main characters and bit characters.  

My unpopular opinion is that Leslie's character become the least likeable the last couple of seasons.  She's overbearing, manipulative and meddling. I did a complete 180 on her.

Also , I thought the show should've ended with the Harvest Fest. That would've been a great finale. Didn't care for the last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I've researched PnR a few times all the way through. I 100% agree with what you said. They did maybe the best job since Cheers in bringing in new main characters and bit characters.  

My unpopular opinion is that Leslie's character become the least likeable the last couple of seasons.  She's overbearing, manipulative and meddling. I did a complete 180 on her.

Also , I thought the show should've ended with the Harvest Fest. That would've been a great finale. Didn't care for the last season.

Harvest Fest totally felt like a finale 

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Harvest Fest was season 3. It shouldn't have ended there. We wouldn't have gotten the Lil' Sebastian tribute concert. 

You're right. I said Harvest Fest but I meant Unity Concert at the end of S6.

I would have ended Community after Glover left. It’s been endlessly debated in the in the Community thread. I’ll just leave it there.

30 Rock with its joke a minute, rapid fire style could still be on the air. 

Modern Family went on for so long they most people forgot it was still on the air.

HIMYM aired perhaps the worst finale in the history of television, but I think the final season was pretty strong overall. I can’t think of a bad season. Pretty underrated show. The finale probably killed any chance it had at second life on streamers, but I still enjoy watching it. 

Parks and Rec started off pretty strong, but ended as another comfort food comedy. 

I never engaged with Big Bang Theory enough to form an opinion on the finale. I’m glad Jim Parsons is on his way to becoming a billionaire. I’m always happy for a local boy makes good story. 

Parks and Rec
MF
30 Rock
Community

Blasphemy for most but I’ve had some really good times through the years watching Modern Family with my kids. Some of the funniest shit I’ve ever seen on TV.

The scene where Cam says “would be a better world if everyone just went back to where they came from” comes to mind.

4 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Parks and Rec
MF
30 Rock
Community

Blasphemy for most but I’ve had some really good times through the years watching Modern Family with my kids. Some of the funniest shit I’ve ever seen on TV.

The scene where Cam says “would be a better world if everyone just went back to where they came from” comes to mind.

In the restaurant?

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

1. 30 Rock

2. Parks and Recs

3. Big Bang Theory

4. Modern Family

5. How I Met Your Mother

6. Community (for whatever reason, that show really rubs me the wrong way)

The first few seasons of HIMYM were great, the last couple of seasons retroactively ruined the whole show.

30 Rock, PnR, Community, and Brooklyn 99 are the best comedies from the major networks in a while.

Posted (edited)

Big Bang Theory feels like grandmother fanfiction written as an over correction to the Free Love movement of the 60’s and 70’s. My son Leonard moved to California, but he doesn’t do drugs, drink or have sex. He studies quantum physics at Caltech, loves Star Trek, and calls his mother. He’s a good boy. 

Mix in the Chuck Lorre sitcom formula and a laugh track and you have a massive hit with olds. Pick up some Comic Con fans along the way and they have a billion dollar show. 

The Chuck Lorre formula is no joke with olds. My grandmother was the most buttoned up human I’ve ever met and she loved Two and Half Men. This is despite Charlie Sheen banging and paying hookers in almost every episode in the first 3-4 seasons. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

For live-action sitcoms, I'd rank Seinfeld first and everything else a far, far, far distant last.

Sitcoms are generally terrible.

I think Seinfeld is the last network sitcom I watched.  

I think Lost is the last network show I watched.

Community at its peak was the best, but Community didn't sustain it over the lifetime of the series.

So overall I'd go Parks & Rec, Community, 30 Rock. Gap to Modern Family. Gap to HIMYM, and then I never watched Big Bang Theory.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Deej said:

Harvest Fest was season 3. It shouldn't have ended there. We wouldn't have gotten the Lil' Sebastian tribute concert. 

To be clear, I wasn't advocating for the show to end there.  There were a lot of great moments after that.  I'm just saying it felt like a finale.  The final scene, with American Girl playing in the background, and everything working out for everyone felt final.

My criticism of the later years (and it's a minor one) is that (in Ron Swanson's words) everyone got a little too chummy and they leaned into the insularity of the Pawnee universe a little too much.  I still felt the show scratched more or less the same itch from Season 2 through the end.

I'd rank them 30 Rock, Community, Parks and Rec 

Then a big step below is

Modern Family, How I met your mother 

then on the list of shows I'll never watch

Big Bang Theory