CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Athletic seems to think Saturday announcement with Venables…but this was ripped to shreds on Twitter. 

God I hope Bob Stoops is heavily pulling strings in this coaching search and the result ends up a blOU disaster.  

Pleeezzzz make it so... 🙏

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

OU has to make a hire that keeps Caleb Williams around with Rattler already in the portal. 

The local news last night said he is halfway into the portal, waiting to see who the coach is before making his final decision. It sure would be sad to see them start the third string QB in a bowl game. And by sad, I mean I'd laugh my ass off. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The local news last night said he is halfway into the portal, waiting to see who the coach is before making his final decision. It sure would be sad to see them start the third string QB in a bowl game. And by sad, I mean I'd laugh my ass off. 

That would be a guy named Ralph Rucker, which is not a name you win with. 

8856BE86-7EC1-4E16-B002-15A561B03688.jpeg

I believe Caleb Williams and his family were the ones setting up those recruiting visits during the pandemic when official visits weren’t allowed. 

I remember there being several quotes from that family about OU being “one big family” and how the coaching staff cared so much about them. 

Hilarious. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I believe Caleb Williams and his family were the ones setting up those recruiting visits during the pandemic when official visits weren’t allowed. 

I remember there being several quotes from that family about OU being “one big family” and how the coaching staff cared so much about them. 

Hilarious. 

505736e2-1afd-41e2-bb48-50016c998fc9_tex

• Haha 2

Hire Patterson immediately, as Defense Analyst. Pay that man.

If PK shows his monkey-bitten ass again, Gary's right there to do the Gerg thing.

Meanwhile, GP should be able to provide some serious input into defensive game-plannning, and likely into talent evaluation and recruiting methodology, as well. Not to mention assisting (or more) with  serious culture change.

• Hook 'Em 8

17 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

This may end up beig a great call.  Or maybe not.  But just going through a musical chairs for big name coaches instead of looking at high caliber football minds (and great recruiters) leaves out the potential for the "next big thing".  Throwing out $8-$10 mil for a name coach guarantees jack squat (except, I fear, in Lincoln Riley's case.  Just hope Jerrah comes calling sooner than later).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Constant said:

A potential announcement could be near. Field being prepped, offices being cleaned…that said I thought yesterday was the day. If we are close, it has to be Venables. 

Agreed if actually done today it's probably Venables.  But I just don't know how it wasn't already done if it's Venables.  If the plan was Venables/Lebby and Lebby said yes, then you would think it would be done already.  If Lebby said "I want to see what happens with Lane and Miami or whatever other HC jobs might open" - I don't think OU can afford to wait.  

The only other possibility I can think of to pair with Venables would be Graham Harrel.  But there is chatter he's looking at potential HC jobs first as well.  Not to mention OU is now competing with Auburn and LSU for an OC position.    Thus, given I think Venables ONLY makes sense if you pair him with a big name OC, if this doesn't get done today, I wonder if they are turning to Fickell (after games play out this weekend) or Campbell?

25 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Hire Patterson immediately, as Defense Analyst. Pay that man.

If PK shows his monkey-bitten ass again, Gary's right there to do the Gerg thing.

Meanwhile, GP should be able to provide some serious input into defensive game-plannning, and likely into talent evaluation and recruiting methodology, as well. Not to mention assisting (or more) with  serious culture change.

Pretty hard to keep two cooks out of the kitchen.

Miami is such a mess.  Obviously they lost Lashlee and I think he took a couple of coaches to SMU already.  Clearly Manny can't even attempt to find a staff when he doesn't know if he'll be canned.  I'm sure everyone there is interviewing.  What a disaster for them.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I would count 2018 as not sucking.  We played for a conference title and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl (fuck off about Georgia not wanting to be there).  That's not sucking by any rational measure.

Why not settle it by asking the expert?

Mothers Day Mom GIF by 505 Games

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Who's the OC if Lanning is the hire?

Yeah, if it's Lanning or BV a quality OC seems to be a must have.  And if Lebby didn't sign on already to go to his alma mater, you would think that means he's either waiting out the HC coaching carousel or he's content getting a raise from Ole Miss with Dillon Gabriel coming to keep it rolling there.   Then you have Graham Harrel purportedly feeling out OC jobs as well and OU having to compete with LSU and Auburn for OC positions.  Can they name a previously DC hire without an OC?   Longer this goes on the better for us obviously.

Siap... Penn State DC Brent Pry going to Virginia Tech as new head coach...

New Virginia Tech coach Brent Pry: 'Honored, humbled' to be Hokies football coach

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Brent Pry's voice cracked with emotion as he detailed the career journey he's been on, one that has brought him back to Blacksburg as Virginia Tech's head football coach.

"I'm honored and humbled," he said Thursday at a news conference. "It's very surreal for me."

After spending a dozen years on James Franklin's staff, the past eight at Penn State, Pry said he wasn't sure he would "ever step out and do my own thing."

"It took this place to do it and took what coach [Frank Beamer] built and [former defensive coordinator Bud Foster] and so many others to be the right place," Pry said. "For me, it was the right time."

Beamer, who gave Pry a chance as a graduate assistant in 1995, and Foster, who had Pry working with the defensive line for three years as the program rose in status, attended Pry's introductory news conference. J.C. Price, the Hokies' interim coach who will lead Virginia Tech in their bowl game after Justin Fuente's exit on Nov. 16, was also in attendance.

Pry has hired Price to be an associate head coach and defensive coach. The new coach said he will take his time and do his due diligence in building a staff.

Pry, 51, has never been a head coach, but as co-defensive coordinator and then defensive coordinator at Penn State, the Nittany Lions' aggressive defense has been ranked in the top half of the Big Ten every season he's been there.

"It's been fun to watch him grow and develop and mature and ... put himself in this position," Foster said. "I'm excited for him."

Pry will be paid $4 million in his first two seasons, receive a $750,000 raise in seasons three and four and a $250,000 raise the next two years. He'll have a budget of $5.5 million for 10 assistants and $2.25 million for support staff.

Athletic director Whit Babcock said Pry was the first coach he spoke to about the job and while he spoke to "three to five" other candidates, "the bar was set from the get go. It's really nice to get into a search and have somebody that does so well they're the bar that you consider for everyone else. And he certainly stood out. He was very well prepared."

The two had spoken via Zoom but had never met in person before Pry flew to Blacksburg on Wednesday.

Babcock originally was primarily interested in hiring a coach with head coaching experience, but said Pry has been in big games in the SEC while he was with Franklin at Vanderbilt and the Big Ten.

"He's been the right-hand person and confidant for James Franklin," Babcock said. "We have no doubt that he's ready."

It also helped that Pry has a history and appreciation for Virginia Tech.

"It certainly plays a role because you want somebody to run to the job," Babcock said. "Again, it's not just a great job, it's `I'm going there because it's Virginia Tech.'"

Fuente was criticized for never truly embracing Virginia Tech's football history, although he did award one player a week with the honor of wearing Beamer's retired No. 25 jersey.

Pry said one difficult thing for him will be turning over defensive play-calling duties to an assistant, but he will do it "whether that's after spring or after year one." He has been very involved in the details on that side of the ball since he began coaching.

He also plans to return the Hokies to being effective recruiters in the state of Virginia. Pry said he learned a great deal on that front from Franklin, who emphasizes details.

"Following through, being thorough and building those relationships with the high school coach, with the trainer, with the parents, with the uncle, with the barber who cuts hair," Pry said. "Being actively involved as a head coach is very important to me."

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, Constant said:

Got a lot of weird rumors and shit going on. Delivery of these lights, Drake in town for a possible surprise concert…

7B4B61BA-AF7C-453F-B332-DD18DB5BC111.png

Kinda boring coach search...

• No Flight Tracking
  • No Hotel Curtains
  • No McRibs
  • No @immamac prepping food for smoker
  • No insider stuff from @Nicole44 
  • No "Late Night Shift"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda boring coach search...

• No Flight Tracking
  • No Hotel Curtains
  • No McRibs
  • No @immamac prepping food for smoker
  • No insider stuff from @Nicole44 
  • No "Late Night Shift"

Not very many leaks going on. TFB says the most consistent name they are hearing is Venables, but if they are waiting til after Saturday, that brings others in play.  

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I assume you mean if Sark gets fired in 2024.  If that's the hypothetical scenario, I'm guessing Patterson wasn't enough of a badass to field a defense to save his job, and I don't see anyone on Sark's staff ascending to head coach.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a program that his fired a head coach for poor performance only to promote someone on his staff as his replacement. 

That fella at Clemson did alright I reckon.