2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Rex Kramer kicks puppies.

Lulz. Shane isn’t good, and he is this group’s latest sentimental project. When I see him come in the game I throw shit and yell. But yeah, it’s all the O-line because he’s accurate in practice...

42 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Lulz. Shane isn’t good, and he is this group’s latest sentimental project. When I see him come in the game I throw shit and yell. But yeah, it’s all the O-line because he’s accurate in practice...

Somehow I feel like you yelled and threw shit when Vince came into the games as a sophomore. You probably yelled and threw shit when he beat out your boy Chance Mock. You probably yelled and threw shit on 4th and 5 because Vince missed a read you are certain Mock would have made. You probably yell and throw shit now because you can't figure out why Chance only has 30 followers and 29 family members on twitter. 

You probably yelled and threw shit when GDGD kept calling the same crossing route to Shipley in the 08 RRSO. You certainly yelled and threw shit when they flew the banner over the stadium. I bet you yelled and threw shit when Red got bad press on the Strong hire, because you sure as shit yelled and threw shit when your boy Sanduski got busted. 

In other words, go fuck yourself and the front running horse you rode in on.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Somehow I feel like you yelled and threw shit when Vince came into the games as a sophomore. You probably yelled and threw shit when he beat out your boy Chance Mock. You probably yelled and threw shit on 4th and 5 because Vince missed a read you are certain Mock would have made. You probably yell and throw shit now because you can't figure out why Chance only has 30 followers and 29 family members on twitter. 

You probably yelled and threw shit when GDGD kept calling the same crossing route to Shipley in the 08 RRSO. You certainly yelled and threw shit when they flew the banner over the stadium. I bet you yelled and threw shit when Red got bad press on the Strong hire, because you sure as shit yelled and threw shit when your boy Sanduski got busted. 

In other words, go fuck yourself and the front running horse you rode in on.

Literally everything you typed is wrong. Mock?  Lulz. VY should’ve started after Arky ‘03. That you got some pos tells me the sorry state here. 

41 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Literally everything you typed is wrong. Mock?  Lulz. VY should’ve started after Arky ‘03. That you got some pos tells me the sorry state here. 

I’m just making educated guesses into how shitty of a fan you are. One of these days I will pull a worst case scenario on the table that splits you right between the vagina.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I’m just making educated guesses into how shitty of a fan you are. One of these days I will pull a worst case scenario on the table that splits you right between the vagina.

You’re still bitter because you were a Charlie apologist until it became unfashionable to do so, and I was kind of a dick about it. I’m sorry; I didn’t like Charlie and it took one year plus Notre Dame to get there, and I didn’t like Shane about 3 starts after his ND game. 

If he plays I will cheer him on (after I throw something), but I’m sorry I can see things much more quickly than you. 

18 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Not off-topic at all, since 1939 connects us to the only non-fictional Aggy championship season.* They'll be celebrating the achievement, along with their championship trophy that they've already presented to Jimbo, with this commemorative jersey.

AGGIE_CHAMPS.jpg 

*They also claim to have won national championships in 1927 and 1919, although no one outside of the Station can understand why. 

I think Molotov signed off on the Aggie claim, thereby connecting Ags and Communism

9 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

You’re still bitter because you were a Charlie apologist until it became unfashionable to do so, and I was kind of a dick about it. I’m sorry; I didn’t like Charlie and it took one year plus Notre Dame to get there, and I didn’t like Shane about 3 starts after his ND game. 

If he plays I will cheer him on (after I throw something), but I’m sorry I can see things much more quickly than you. 

Nah, I just think you're a cunt. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it gay to be really excited about this?

Depends. Are you referring to Longhorn football and the upcoming season, or to that slapfest, hairpulling, face-scratching girl-fight going on between Kramer and most of the rest of the board? If it's the latter, I'd start watching a lot of Queer as Folk.

Depends. Are you referring to Longhorn football and the upcoming season, or to that slapfest, hairpulling, face-scratching girl-fight going on between Kramer and most of the rest of the board? If it's the latter, I'd start watching a lot of Queer as Folk.

I’m talking about the Bevo assembly kit. This could be the highlight of my week.

TFB has some updated notes from the scrimmage. Give their open post a click, while you're at it: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-monday-august-20th/

Per Sources Davion Curtis to Transfer
– Super K

Multiple sources have indicated to me that redshirt sophomore wide receiver, Davion Curtis has made it known that he intends to transfer from the University of Texas.

Curtis was recruited by Charlie Strong’s staff. During his recruiting process, he was committed to Georgia but when Strong and co. came calling, Curtis made the flip to the Longhorns.

Curtis was redshirted his freshman year and made his first and only appearance on the field against Baylor.

Davion is an exceptional athlete. However, it would appear that because of the emergence of young inside wide receivers like Joshua Moore and D’Shawn Jamison to go along with Lil Jordan Humphrey, Jerrod Heard has been moved outside, creating even more competition at the outside wide receiver position.

Scrimmage Sourced Notes

By: Super K
Posted on: August 18, 2018
Alex and I will add more as we get them. Here’s a few to start.

***Offense won today! Yes, you heard that right.

***I’m told Boyce started at CB in place of Davis who is still out.

***I’m told D’Shawn Jamison took a jet sweep 70 yards. Told he actually scored twice today.

***Starting OL from left to right was m: Anderson, Vahe, Shackleford, Rodriguez and Cosmi

***Sounds like Buechele had a great day moving the ball, moving the chains. Waiting to hear on the other QBs

***No interceptions were thrown today!

UPDATE (12:36 PM)

***Looks like the top three running back rotation was Tre Watson and Kirk Johnson at the top followed by Keontay Ingram with Daniel Young in that 4th spot. I think those are going to be your top 4.

***Heard from multiple sources that the running backs had a great day.

***One source said Tre and Kirk were the two best of the scrimmage and added Kirk is definitely a top 3 back if he’s healthy.

***Interestingly, another source seemed to really like Keontay Ingram. Either way, again, it sounds like those three are your top three in some order.

UPDATE (2:21 PM)

***Another sourced added that Jamison had a really nice day in the slot…mentioned the jet sweeps.

***But source said that Joshua Moore was also really good in the slot. Said, unlike Jamison, Moore is a better pure receiver/route runner. No surprise there. I’m going to check but they may have moved Heard outside. Again, let me check that.

***Also was told Cam Rising looked really good today. Source said, “He stayed in the pocket instead of taking off and running. Was going through his read, even getting to second and third reads and then delivering”.

UPDATE (3:00 PM)

Got a few more notes. Answering some of the questions y’all asked in the comments below.

***On the kicking game, was told that Dicker looked good and, “should be the started. It’s his to lose. He’s just more consistent”. Told he was hitting his FGs today.

***In RE the question on Shackelford and Rodriguez. Source said they are both much improved under Hand. Not studs but improved. They’ll get the job done.

***Also in RE the Kerstetter question, we had originally heard and previously reported that Kerstetter can play four of the five positions. Source today said that Kerstetter can actually play all five including LT and C. Though if he was needed I think Cosmi would go left. Kerstetter essentially seems to be the super duper back up.

***Byron Hobbs had a big hit on Kyle Porter which was a bit of a highlight play on defense.

***Also told that BJ Foster broke up quite few passes just from the sheer violence of the hits he unleashes.

***Again, clean scrimmage. No fumbles and no INTs.

***At inside wide receiver it sounds like after Lil Jordan it’s Joshua Moore (hearing more and more good things about Moore) and D’Shawn Jamison. Jerrod Heard did indeed play outside as I had conjectured above.

Post Scrimmage Quotes + Sourced Notes
By: Alex Briseno

Todd Orlando met with reporters following Texas’ scrimmage on Saturday morning.

Here are the notes and highlights:

*** We all know Caden Sterns is elite. Now, Orlando has listed a couple more newcomers to keep your eyes on: B.J. Foster and Joseph Ossai. But as a whole, Orlando has been pleased with the RevolUTion class.

“They’ve been very impressive they are as advertised. They are making moves up the depth chart…Normally when you have a recruiting class, what you see on film sometimes may not be what get but as a whole collective, offense and defensive wise, we can’t see anybody that you would call a “bust.’”

*** Orlando says they have three or four newcomers he could see himself relying on once the season begins.

*** With only two Saturdays until kickoff, the Longhorn coaching staff must now mold a depth chart to their liking. Orlando said after they find the top 11 guys, they will rank guys 12-19.

“We’re going to watch the tape today. Tomorrow will be all about personnel. We’re going to sit down as a defensive staff and we’re going to rank all these guys to make sure that when we put guys on the field, it’s in that order. We’re not going to put No. 22 ahead of No. 13. We’re going to make sure the best athletes are out there.”

*** The lack of depth at linebacker isn’t a secret, but Orlando didn’t seem incredibly worried about the situation.

“We’re thin but we have options. I’d rather not get specific because of Maryland but we have a way to mix and match to add more depth.”

*** Orlando was asked about Demarco Boyd. Here was his response:

“In my opinion he’s no longer a part of this team. From our standpoint we’re moving forward until Herman tells me something different. “

*** Orlando’s success as a defensive coordinator doesn’t go unnoticed. He is expected to be a head coach sooner rather than later. He was asked about the rumors flying around regarding the possibility of him leaving Texas.

“Realistically it really never materialized to be honest with you. All of the noise and the outside stuff, I don’t want to sit here and be a distraction but sometimes you’ve got to defend yourself … Most of the stuff was completely false. To me, personally, we have something really special. I’m excited about this group, I really am.”

Sourced Notes

***Overall pretty clean offensively. They ran the ball well in general. Running backs are still being rotated but they looked “pretty damn good.”

***The main four are still getting reps: Daniel Young, Tre Watson, Keaontay Ingram and Kirk Johnson.

***QBs looked good — Sam and Shane are both taking care of the ball.

***Calvin Anderson is still splitting reps with Okafor. Cosmi got a few looks today as well. Simply based on experience, Anderson is a solid bet for the starting job.

***The Longhorn offense’s improvements from last week to this week was the theme of the day.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB has some updated notes from the scrimmage. Give their open post a click, while you're at it: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-monday-august-20th/

Hide contents

Per Sources Davion Curtis to Transfer
– Super K

Multiple sources have indicated to me that redshirt sophomore wide receiver, Davion Curtis has made it known that he intends to transfer from the University of Texas.

Curtis was recruited by Charlie Strong’s staff. During his recruiting process, he was committed to Georgia but when Strong and co. came calling, Curtis made the flip to the Longhorns.

Curtis was redshirted his freshman year and made his first and only appearance on the field against Baylor.

Davion is an exceptional athlete. However, it would appear that because of the emergence of young inside wide receivers like Joshua Moore and D’Shawn Jamison to go along with Lil Jordan Humphrey, Jerrod Heard has been moved outside, creating even more competition at the outside wide receiver position.

Scrimmage Sourced Notes

By: Super K
Posted on: August 18, 2018
Alex and I will add more as we get them. Here’s a few to start.

***Offense won today! Yes, you heard that right.

***I’m told Boyce started at CB in place of Davis who is still out.

***I’m told D’Shawn Jamison took a jet sweep 70 yards. Told he actually scored twice today.

***Starting OL from left to right was m: Anderson, Vahe, Shackleford, Rodriguez and Cosmi

***Sounds like Buechele had a great day moving the ball, moving the chains. Waiting to hear on the other QBs

***No interceptions were thrown today!

UPDATE (12:36 PM)

***Looks like the top three running back rotation was Tre Watson and Kirk Johnson at the top followed by Keontay Ingram with Daniel Young in that 4th spot. I think those are going to be your top 4.

***Heard from multiple sources that the running backs had a great day.

***One source said Tre and Kirk were the two best of the scrimmage and added Kirk is definitely a top 3 back if he’s healthy.

***Interestingly, another source seemed to really like Keontay Ingram. Either way, again, it sounds like those three are your top three in some order.

UPDATE (2:21 PM)

***Another sourced added that Jamison had a really nice day in the slot…mentioned the jet sweeps.

***But source said that Joshua Moore was also really good in the slot. Said, unlike Jamison, Moore is a better pure receiver/route runner. No surprise there. I’m going to check but they may have moved Heard outside. Again, let me check that.

***Also was told Cam Rising looked really good today. Source said, “He stayed in the pocket instead of taking off and running. Was going through his read, even getting to second and third reads and then delivering”.

UPDATE (3:00 PM)

Got a few more notes. Answering some of the questions y’all asked in the comments below.

***On the kicking game, was told that Dicker looked good and, “should be the started. It’s his to lose. He’s just more consistent”. Told he was hitting his FGs today.

***In RE the question on Shackelford and Rodriguez. Source said they are both much improved under Hand. Not studs but improved. They’ll get the job done.

***Also in RE the Kerstetter question, we had originally heard and previously reported that Kerstetter can play four of the five positions. Source today said that Kerstetter can actually play all five including LT and C. Though if he was needed I think Cosmi would go left. Kerstetter essentially seems to be the super duper back up.

***Byron Hobbs had a big hit on Kyle Porter which was a bit of a highlight play on defense.

***Also told that BJ Foster broke up quite few passes just from the sheer violence of the hits he unleashes.

***Again, clean scrimmage. No fumbles and no INTs.

***At inside wide receiver it sounds like after Lil Jordan it’s Joshua Moore (hearing more and more good things about Moore) and D’Shawn Jamison. Jerrod Heard did indeed play outside as I had conjectured above.

Post Scrimmage Quotes + Sourced Notes
By: Alex Briseno

Todd Orlando met with reporters following Texas’ scrimmage on Saturday morning.

Here are the notes and highlights:

*** We all know Caden Sterns is elite. Now, Orlando has listed a couple more newcomers to keep your eyes on: B.J. Foster and Joseph Ossai. But as a whole, Orlando has been pleased with the RevolUTion class.

“They’ve been very impressive they are as advertised. They are making moves up the depth chart…Normally when you have a recruiting class, what you see on film sometimes may not be what get but as a whole collective, offense and defensive wise, we can’t see anybody that you would call a “bust.’”

*** Orlando says they have three or four newcomers he could see himself relying on once the season begins.

*** With only two Saturdays until kickoff, the Longhorn coaching staff must now mold a depth chart to their liking. Orlando said after they find the top 11 guys, they will rank guys 12-19.

“We’re going to watch the tape today. Tomorrow will be all about personnel. We’re going to sit down as a defensive staff and we’re going to rank all these guys to make sure that when we put guys on the field, it’s in that order. We’re not going to put No. 22 ahead of No. 13. We’re going to make sure the best athletes are out there.”

*** The lack of depth at linebacker isn’t a secret, but Orlando didn’t seem incredibly worried about the situation.

“We’re thin but we have options. I’d rather not get specific because of Maryland but we have a way to mix and match to add more depth.”

*** Orlando was asked about Demarco Boyd. Here was his response:

“In my opinion he’s no longer a part of this team. From our standpoint we’re moving forward until Herman tells me something different. “

*** Orlando’s success as a defensive coordinator doesn’t go unnoticed. He is expected to be a head coach sooner rather than later. He was asked about the rumors flying around regarding the possibility of him leaving Texas.

“Realistically it really never materialized to be honest with you. All of the noise and the outside stuff, I don’t want to sit here and be a distraction but sometimes you’ve got to defend yourself … Most of the stuff was completely false. To me, personally, we have something really special. I’m excited about this group, I really am.”

Sourced Notes

***Overall pretty clean offensively. They ran the ball well in general. Running backs are still being rotated but they looked “pretty damn good.”

***The main four are still getting reps: Daniel Young, Tre Watson, Keaontay Ingram and Kirk Johnson.

***QBs looked good — Sam and Shane are both taking care of the ball.

***Calvin Anderson is still splitting reps with Okafor. Cosmi got a few looks today as well. Simply based on experience, Anderson is a solid bet for the starting job.

***The Longhorn offense’s improvements from last week to this week was the theme of the day.

VibrantJitteryCopperbutterfly-size_restr

• Like 1

IT:

By: Justin, Joe, and Eric

Todd Orlando said the offense edged out the defense. From what we've gathered it was pretty even. We did hear, "the defense looked really solid as usual," but it's important to note that this scrimmage was pretty vanilla and the structure was different from those in the past. It was family day, and you aren't going to ask families of players to travel great lengths and not see their child play. Like a Little League game the staff wanted to make sure everyone got an at bat. Still, there was plenty of important work to be had.

The staff wanted to see which players could move from 'unknown' status to 'dependable'. They wanted to test certain players and position groups. Essentially, this scrimmage highlighted the twos more than anything. Not only will those players be needed for depth and snaps this year, many will be locked in as starters a year from now, especially on defense. The staff isn't just getting these guys ready for this season.

We'll post information in the form of the expected depth chart. Tom Herman said he would likely know how the chart would look after this scrimmage. To be clear this is not the internal depth chart, it's just our speculation based on what we've heard throughout camp. Also, this prediction is for game-week, not this exact minute. That's important because quarterback is still up in the air.

Quarterback

Shane Buechele got first crack in the scrimmage. Typically at this point in camp it's a good sign of who will start the opener. He may in fact start, but I believe it's a sign that he had the better week which is something we reported on Friday. Even though Buchele got the start, Ehlinger also worked with the first unit.

Saturday's performance was pretty even for both. There were no turnovers, but the they also didn't challenge downfield all that much. They made more good reads that bad reads which has been a theme for August camp.

While we believe this is a spirited competition, we also believe the staff thinks similarly to most here: non-contact scrimmages are much different than the real thing. Advantage: Ehlinger.

I asked specifically if Buechele was exhibiting a better feel in the pocket and the response was in the negative. Similar to having good hands, that's usually one of those 'you either have it or you don't' traits.

Buechele would get the call if Texas ran a different offense. It doesn't.

Predicted Depth Chart: Ehlinger, Buechele, Rising, Thompson

Running Back

They also played pretty well, which means the offensive line did too.

Daniel Young is consistent but doesn't provide the big play ability of the others. Tre Watson looked different than he did in practice. He only had a couple of carries but he was much quicker to the hole. He also caught a couple of flares and looked good in space.

Keaontay Ingram continued to impress. It's a foregone conclusion he'll play a ton this year.

Kirk Johnson is a total outlier. If he stays healthy he'll play. They've limited his exposure through camp but are slowly ramping it up. To be expected, he's still a little rusty, but he does flash and certainly looks the part.

The depth chart is tough to call. Young is the safe bet. Watson is coming on and adds a little burst. Ingram is the future. Johnson is the most freakish -- if healthy.

I'm still predicting a platoon.

Predicted Depth Chart: Young, Watson, Ingram, Johnson, but I could see almost any combination of the four. I bet they all play in Maryland. When they release the depth chart this position might have more ors than a longship.

Wide Receiver

The big news from the scrimmage at receiver was D'shawn Jamison. He hit a jet sweep for six from 70 out. Many fans wondered where the creativeelement was from Beck and Herman last year. For sweeps to work your primary offense has to work. Jamison scoring on this play is indicative of the whole offense being better. He also scored on a screen after juking a couple defenders in the open field. Long-strides for a short guy, he just chews up ground and gets up to full speed incredibly quickly.

Jamison isn't the only twitchy freshman at slot. JoshMoore is looking like a very difficult match-up in the Reggie Hemphill-Mapps vein. He's not yet quite the route runner Reggie was but athletically he's similar and his hands looked really good catching away from his body. Like Reggie, he'll pluck the ball right out of the air and immediately turn up field to get what he can. Give him an inch and he can take it a mile.

Slot went from a one-man gang to a potentialstrength in less than three weeks. This staff, man.

LJH wasn't featured much. He's a known. Ditto for Collin Johnson.

Both of the younger X's -- Brennan Eagles and Malcolm Epps -- need to play as big as they are. Al'vonte Woodard had a couple of catches. He should be good to go after a red-shirt. He's in great physical shape.

Predicted Depth Chart: XWR: Johnson, Eagles, Epps. Slot: LJH, Jamison OR Moore. ZWR: Duvernay, Burt OR Heard

Tight End

We didn't hear a whole lot. There were a few drops. Andrew Beck did a good job sealing the edge. He held his own in some one-on-one situations with defensive ends which is a win for the offense. "He's a glaring difference over last year."

I again asked if Cade Brewer was moving like he did before his injury. He doesn't, but he's definitely going to play this season.

As Texas reported, Mad Rob Cummins hurt his knee. We aren't sure of the extent but we don't believe it is as bad as it looked. Good news. If we didn't have last year to compare it too we'd be a bit concerned over depth this year.

Predicted Depth Chart: Beck, Brewer, Leitao, Cummins when he returns

Offensive Line

The offense can't move the ball against the defense without the o-line doing its part. When they started to have too much success Orlando would dial up the heat on his calls but more often than not he wasn't forcing the issue.

The tackles got beat for a few sacks, even versus the second team d-line, but those guys are pretty good.

Herman wants to run the ball and right now the line is better in the run-game than in pass protection. They'll live with that.

Derek Kerstetter did play some center. When he did, Sam Cosmi played right tackle and had a fine scrimmage.

Below seems pretty set.

Predicted Depth Chart: LT: Anderson, Okafor. LG: Vahe, Hudson. 😄 Shackelford, Kerstetter. RG: Rodriguez, Imade. RT: Kerstetter, Cosmi.

Defensive Line

The front-line guys are quite known to the staff and fans alike. The staff is quietly excited on what is lying in wait.

Ta'Quon Graham, Gerald Wilbon, and Marqez Bimage are not an exaggerated drop off from the starters. Graham is more athletic and stronger (at least in the weight room) than Charles Omenihu. Wilbon is similar in build and ability to Chris Nelson -- though not quite as disruptive. And Bimage has a great burst off the edge like Breckyn Hager. Both Graham and Bimage registered sacks against the first team offensive line.

The defensive front showed a few looks to make the o-line change up blocking schemes but for the most part things were kept simple.

Predicted Depth Chart: DE: Hager, Bimage. NT: Nelson, Wilbon. DE: Omenihu, Graham.

Linebacker

There isn't much concern about depth here for reasons Orlando stated and Ian outlined in his prescient Gameplan last week. Short story: for now the starters are healthy and Orlando can scheme around any shortcomings. Anthony Wheeler will only miss the first half of the Maryland game, and Jeffrey McCulloch should return to practice game-week.

As you can imagine Gary Johnson didn't play much in the scrimmage. Interestingly, BJ Foster played a little Rover along with Joker. Losing Demarvion Overshown for a month or so was a bit of a bad blow but Foster is very capable in that role. As a Joker he had some PBUs.

"Ossai sure doesn't look out of place." Everyone we've talked to has been high on him since June and Orlando intimated he feels the same way.

With injuries and cross-training, depth at this position could go a number of ways. This is a guess.

Predicted Depth Chart: Rover: Johnson, Roach. Mac: Roach, Wheeler. B-backer: McCulloch, Ossai.

Defensive Back

Kobe Boyce played well. He was tested more than Anthony Cook, who looked fine. Like we wrote, the quarterbacks didn't throw down the field our outside too much and neither Buechele or Ehlinger threw an interception.

Davante Davis sat out the scrimmage but is expectedback this week. Boyce received some valuable reps in his absence. There's still a noticeable drop off between Kris Boyd and Davis and any other corner.

The starters are set in stone, though I'm not exactly sure what second team looks like at safety. Remember, they'll play the next best guy if possible. Example: If Sterns was hurt then Locke would likely move to boundary safety and Thompson would become the nickel.

Predicted Depth Chart: CB: Boyd, Cook. CB: Davis, Boyce. BS: Sterns, Brown OR Foster. FS: Jones, BrownOR Estell. N: Locke, Thompson.

On this day next week the program will likely release their first depth chart, indicating it's game-week. Your wait is almost over.

• Like 1

Man, the upswing in talent is pretty encouraging.  TE depth, guys heavily relied on last year to run the ball who simply aren’t going to get carries. The drop off from 1s to 2s on the OL is getting quite small.   Plus guys like Jamison who might be impact players as freshman.  Kool aid baby