College Academics and Partying

Vic Mackey

Tight pattern for my academic history on this chart.

What's the green UT crest at the top right by UF (too far right btw)?

Agree UT should be a further up and to the right.

Agree UMiami should move left.  It's good but not that good.  USC is right academically.

Figured Washington would have been better (top right)

Everyone's focusing on the sexy first quadrant.  I want to explore the third quadrant more.  I want to see how FAU fares after a few years with Joey Freshwater.

Academies not listed...unless I missed em.

Academics pretty much maxed out.  Firsty ( senior) year biggest amount of parties, plus they have a bar specifically for them on campus.

Tech too low for partying.  Way too low.

What's that Bear looking logo between Vandy and Notre Dame?  All the way over there in serious academic land?  

"Author" doesn't really seem to understand the actual hierarchy of public universities based on AAU, Carnegie, et. al.  But otherwise, it's actually quite accurate.  

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Wtf are the Hawaiin students doing?

UH is basically a commuter school.  There is plenty of partying...they're just not doing it on campus with other students.  Most are back home at a pot luck, drinking in the garage while watching MMA with their "bruddahs", or having a pot luck on the beach watching MMA on their iPhone with their "bruddahs". 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's that Bear looking logo between Vandy and Notre Dame?  All the way over there in serious academic land?  

Bear logo is Cornell.  For a moment, I figured it was Stanford because I was looking for them.  Looks like Stanford is missing.

Is that Rice in the upper left quadrant? 

I think you're looking at Rhode Island.  I don't see Rice.

Wonder how long it would take to compile a Surly sourced chart based on something like the QS/THE rankings and the wealth of partying knowledge possessed by this august body.  We'll need to add a coed factor to the ratings.  To do that correctly, we'll need to send some people to the campuses to do some research. Any volunteers?

The guy knows most of his shit, he doesn’t know his public flagships.  Georgia is nowhere near our stratosphere, though it is markedly above most of its SEC peers.  

UT bias aside, the guy thinks Florida and UCLA (everybody’s  #2 or #3 Public Ivy) as basically the same academic stature.  There isn’t an employer or grad school outside of Orlando that thinks that.  

Based on some decently traveled experience 20+ years ago, most of his party evaluation is spot on.  

I feel like if you have to be proud of your schools general academic reputation than you didn't try and go to the best place for what you majored in. Lots of "sub par" schools are the best in particular fields, while lots of "great" schools are only above average in all fields. Unless you are looking to get a degree in general studies, why be proud of that?

• Like 2

And to be fair, Pepperdine is still a decent drive from any bars of significance. Less of an issue now with Uber/Lyft, but there’s never been a ton of partying on campus.

I completely bailed out of going there after a prospective student seminar where they called out the mandatory full year of religious courses. Mom and I just stood and walked out without saying a word...

• Like 1

I may old-fashioned, dash it all, but I feel strongly that any young fellow worth knowing, no matter where you place him to study, will endeavor to stay as drunk as possible while studying as little as possible. No matter what his peers are doing. We want the sort of man who reaches deep inside, and leads, not follows.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Georgia with a slight edge over UT in academics?  Wtf?

IN U.S. News's 2017-8 rankings,  Georgia was #54 and Texas #56.   Maybe bogus or due to free parking or something, but there it is.

Other SEC schools:  Vanderbilt #14, Florida #42, 

World rankings, another story...

You learn all about the USNWR rankings when you have a kid applying to college...

Tulane completely games that ranking by letting everyone apply *FOR FREE* with the common app, no additional essays or anything.  Literally, just check a box and you have applied for free to Tulane. 

So they get tons of applications, and they reject anyone who hasn't taken a campus visit (*), so their admit rate is really low, which boosts them in the rankings. 

(*) Which thus protects their "yield rate" (#enrolled/#admitted) which is another important component in those ranking. 

Texas is hurt in those rankings because their admit rate is very high, basically because the admission standards take almost all of the mystery out of the admit/or not decision, so you don't have a bunch of kids applying who aren't admitted. 

Edited by Beau Vine

58 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Texas is hurt in those rankings because their admit rate is very high, basically because the admission standards take almost all of the mystery out of the admit/or not decision, so you don't have a bunch of kids applying who aren't admitted. 

Texas admittance rate for Fall 2017 was 36.5%, which is classified "More Selective".  

Back-up data:  https://utexas.app.box.com/v/CDS2017

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

The guy knows most of his shit, he doesn’t know his public flagships.  Georgia is nowhere near our stratosphere, though it is markedly above most of its SEC peers.  

UT bias aside, the guy thinks Florida and UCLA (everybody’s  #2 or #3 Public Ivy) as basically the same academic stature.  There isn’t an employer or grad school outside of Orlando that thinks that.  

Based on some decently traveled experience 20+ years ago, most of his party evaluation is spot on.  

I'm not gonna defend a stupid chart and I'm NOT saying UF = UCLA...  but UF has put a ton of effort into improving academics.  I went to UF during the transition from Party school to serious school and I've got some scars bro....  8 hour exams not unusual, brutal expectations by the professors, some of whom would straight up tell you they had orders to dramatically tighten the reigns.  Others would say "Oh I talked with my peers and they are demanding much more of their students, and I'm better than they are, so you'll have to be better too..."

Horror stories coming out of the Accounting School...  

-bottom line UF sucks on offense/recruiting/facilities, but the academics are legit despite the party school reputation.  hell I think the Party rep is too high on that chart...dry campus and a mean spirited PD.