Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

36 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I was at Disney for the first FH launch.  I woke up early af, rented car and went over to watch.

Ate Jimmy John’s in the back of a Hyundai SUV, got sunburned, and sat around for a while, but my two kids saw it and it was cool.

Even cooler - 2 boosters returning supersonic and landing in unison and then out of nowhere a large Blackhawk helicopter buzzed us at about 100 feet.  

It was a weird sensory overload.  like we were in that movie Contact and seeing the future.  

If you’ve got kids take them to see a launch.  It doesn’t cost much.

Back in about 1981, the space shuttle was supposed to land at White Sands in NM.  It's always been a backup landing spot, and was picked as a primary that mission to prove its ability to be a landing spot.  

Mom and dad packed up the station wagon along with me and a buddy from school.  We drove down, intending to spend one night camping and see the landing.  A huge 2-day storm came through, with high winds and freezing temperatures.  We froze in our car for two nights and drove back to northern NM.  The landing in NM was scrubbed.  There were thousands of cars like ours stuck on the side of the road in the sandstorm.  A big nothing burger was had by all.  

That's the last time I tried to see a space program related event.  

csb

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Back in about 1981, the space shuttle was supposed to land at White Sands in NM.  It's always been a backup landing spot, and was picked as a primary that mission to prove its ability to be a landing spot.  

Mom and dad packed up the station wagon along with me and a buddy from school.  We drove down, intending to spend one night camping and see the landing.  A huge 2-day storm came through, with high winds and freezing temperatures.  We froze in our car for two nights and drove back to northern NM.  The landing in NM was scrubbed.  There were thousands of cars like ours stuck on the side of the road in the sandstorm.  A big nothing burger was had by all.  

That's the last time I tried to see a space program related event.  

csb

I still remember the Dudley and Bob spoof 20 or so years ago where the space shuttle was going to do an emergency landing in Georgetown or thereabouts and a ton of people showed up.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I still remember the Dudley and Bob spoof 20 or so years ago where the space shuttle was going to do an emergency landing in Georgetown or thereabouts and a ton of people showed up.  

That was almost 30 yrs ago - I was still in college and remember the apartment I lived in at the time.  1995 or 1996?  KLBJ was the station on my clock radio and I woke up to that bit.  Jumped up and ran to the TV, flipping channels furiously to see what was going on.  Pretty solid April Fools joke.

Around 2000 I was coaching a camp in Cocoa, FL - 12mi from Cape Canaveral as the crow flies.  Just after sundown they launched and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.  Like the sun rising in fast forward video - lit up the entire sky.  Never saw one up close, but even from that distance, it was just awesome.

8 minutes ago, butthurt said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1fw7-ApnCL/?igsh=dDcwdGVscGdiem5s

Speaking of rockets, gas bottle falls off hand truck and oh shit.

That's why that chain is on the hand truck, dumbass.  Chain it up and you won't get a mouthful of compressed gas tank.

That reminded me of a story a former co-worker told me years ago.  He was working on a rig off the Louisiana coast, and oxygen and acetylene tanks stared disappearing.  No one could figure out why until late one night a guy just happened to be looking the right way to see something shoot off the side of the rig into the darkness.  He told his supervisor what he saw and they went to investigate.  They found out that a guy had welded two pipes to a rail, pointed out away from the rig, in such a way that he could push a tank up onto the pipes.  He would put a tank on this makeshift launcher, with the bottom of the tank pointed out to sea, and knock the valve off the tank with a hammer.  The tank would then take off, like in the video above.  This greatly entertained the knucklehead, until he was caught.  A boat brought some more tanks the next day, and the knucklehead got to ride back on the boat to where the appropriate parish sheriff arrested him for criminal mischief.  I guess it was fun while it lasted.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
Memories

On 12/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

Right behind this yesterday.  Fucking terrible

https://www.fox4news.com/news/georgia-family-johnson-county-crash

A buddy, the Johnson County Farm Bureau agency manager, was behind them a ways, and saw the whole thing. The crash threw everyone in the minivan through the front windshield. 

The family of the kid driving the truck has had the worst five or so years of any family I have known. The dad was always in trouble with the law, and hung himself in the Somervell county jail. The older son, one of CHIEF Jr.'s associates, was so struck with grief that he committed suicide as well. Now the younger son has gone and done this. He is still in critical condition and not out of the weeds yet.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, futureman said:

did you know the family in the minivan?

Well, I think they compressed their "worst" into a few seconds, so.....efficiency, I guess.

Also.....in this day and age, why so many damned people don't wear their safety belts blows my goddamned mind.  All the damned time, you read a story of "really bad wreck.  Two people not wearing belts were ejected and killed.  Two people wearing belts had minor injuries."  Modern vehicles will keep you protected and alive through some pretty damned serious wrecks, but if you are thrown out of a vehicle, you are usually fucked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

A buddy, the Johnson County Farm Bureau agency manager, was behind them a ways, and saw the whole thing. The crash threw everyone in the minivan through the front windshield. 

The family of the kid driving the truck has had the worst five or so years of any family I have known. The dad was always in trouble with the law, and hung himself in the Somervell county jail. The older son, one of CHIEF Jr.'s associates, was so struck with grief that he committed suicide as well. Now the younger son has gone and done this. He is still in critical condition and not out of the weeds yet.

CHIEF

was told that the kid was passing on the shoulder.   and somehow ended up in a head on with the oncoming minivan.   don't know how accurate that is

On 12/29/2023 at 11:16 AM, CoTex said:

I was at Disney for the first FH launch.  I woke up early af, rented car and went over to watch.

Ate Jimmy John’s in the back of a Hyundai SUV, got sunburned, and sat around for a while, but my two kids saw it and it was cool.

Even cooler - 2 boosters returning supersonic and landing in unison and then out of nowhere a large Blackhawk helicopter buzzed us at about 100 feet.  

It was a weird sensory overload.  like we were in that movie Contact and seeing the future.  

I did one at about 2:30 in the morning on the beach about 20 miles away. I was worried I wouldn't be able to see anything. Lol. I am stupid. As someone else said, it's like the sun rising. The crackling sound is pretty cool too.

I don't know why, and hopefully I'll never be in a situation to do the same, but posing with a creature that ate your loved ones for a photograph just seems weird.  Like a shark or a bear still has pieces of your friend or neighbor inside of it still in fact, I wouldn't think, "Hey, it's dead...let's grab a selfie real quick!" 

And on the shuttle launch deal, go anytime if you can.  I'm still waiting to make it down to Boca Chica with the kids for one since I hate Florida.  But when I was living not too far from KSC, we watched two at night from New Smyrna and Titusville and it was unbelievable.  The guys that grew up around there sold me on going.  I love space travel but didn't think we could see shit from that far away.  Holy fucking shit, it's awesome to watch.  It was some STS in 1995, that returned a few days later and even 50 minutes away, all the glass in our dorms and classrooms shook and the popping made my ears ring for a couple hours.  Apparently as a kid while visiting family, we got to see an STS return landing at Edwards AFB in California.  But i don't remember it.  But my god, if you can ever see a launch, particularly at night.........DO IT!/benstiller

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I did one at about 2:30 in the morning on the beach about 20 miles away. I was worried I wouldn't be able to see anything. Lol. I am stupid. As someone else said, it's like the sun rising. The crackling sound is pretty cool too.

I watched a shuttle launch from out my bedroom window in grad school.  In Gainesville.

Hard to miss.

We were out drinking in north Austin sometime in the 90s. Bar closed. We're out in the parking lot after 2am bull-shitting. Suddenly we see a wide line of white light coming across the sky from west to east. Had no idea what it was. Found out the next day it was the space shuttle heading for a landing in Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

We were out drinking in north Austin sometime in the 90s. Bar closed. We're out in the parking lot after 2am bull-shitting. Suddenly we see a wide line of white light coming across the sky from west to east. Had no idea what it was. Found out the next day it was the space shuttle heading for a landing in Florida.

Remember that as well.  It was insanely bright. 

On 12/29/2023 at 12:16 PM, CoTex said:

We were on vacation in Daytona Beach the year Apollo 11 launched, folks drove out to watch while my sister and me stayed back at the hotel and could still see the launch poolside.  

6 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Army:  We'll find him for 3, but we'll find him and kill him for 10.  With that, you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing. 

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 4:13 PM, 52-80 said:

Shouldve never let these people have vodka

On 12/30/2023 at 8:32 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

That's why that chain is on the hand truck, dumbass.  Chain it up and you won't get a mouthful of compressed gas tank.

That reminded me of a story a former co-worker told me years ago.  He was working on a rig off the Louisiana coast, and oxygen and acetylene tanks stared disappearing.  No one could figure out why until late one night a guy just happened to be looking the right way to see something shoot off the side of the rig into the darkness.  He told his supervisor what he saw and they went to investigate.  They found out that a guy had welded two pipes to a rail, pointed out away from the rig, in such a way that he could push a tank up onto the pipes.  He would put a tank on this makeshift launcher, with the bottom of the tank pointed out to sea, and knock the valve off the tank with a hammer.  The tank would then take off, like in the video above.  This greatly entertained the knucklehead, until he was caught.  A boat brought some more tanks the next day, and the knucklehead got to ride back on the boat to where the appropriate parish sheriff arrested him for criminal mischief.  I guess it was fun while it lasted.

I was working with an Alaska pipeline welder that said they had these deep casings in the ground that they would drop O2 tanks, valve first, into and they would shoot out like a rocket.   Wasn't sure I believed him until that video.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

alright, raise you hand if you, like me were surprised that someone who resembles a doctor, and acts like a doc, is actually on duty at these  "H" level wrestling shows

Looks like a costume to me. Like seeing people in white coats run out to attend to an injured football player. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

alright, raise you hand if you, like me were surprised that someone who resembles a doctor, and acts like a doc, is actually on duty at these  "H" level wrestling shows

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

CSB alert.

Attended a regional wrestling production at a Jr High school when I was about 10 years old.  I can't explain the emotional distress I went through when the two wrestlers, who were engaged in long standing bitter feud, were sharing a beer and cigarette in plain sight ten minutes before their feature bout that night.  Soul crushing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That happened about a while ago if I remember correctly. there was a reverse angle shot with the body flying towards you floating around reddit at the time it happened. gnarly shit

Wiley Coyote Cartoon-ass crash.