Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Bat Guano said:

Yup. I remember the Thomas hearings. Anita Hill came off just as credible and competent as Blasey Ford, and it made not one shit. Nothing has changed. Or if it has it's changed to favor Bart O'Kavanaugh types even more.

I'll put up a pic of Anita Hill and a pic of Dr Ford and let you figure out why one's trauma is viewed by the public as more important than the other's.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Then subpoena them to testify.

why?

Here's Graham's thoughts on them:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday dismissed the credibility of two men who have claimed to the Senate Judiciary Committee that Christine Blasey Ford may have mistook Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh for them during an alleged sexual assault in the 1980s.

"One’s crazy as a loon. I don’t believe the other one. I’m not going to play this game," Graham said on "CBS This Morning."

“You don’t believe either of these men who said they attacked Dr. Ford?” anchor Norah O'Donnell asked.

"Yes, I don’t believe that," Graham responded.

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I'll put up a pic of Anita Hill and a pic of Dr Ford and let you figure out why one's trauma is viewed by the public as more important than the other's.

haha, exactly. 

also, this is 1992 (or whenever) compared to #metoo 2018. there are actual women on the committee in addition to callous old white men.

There will be a million woman march on Washington if Kavanaugh is confirmed.  I get the reasoning behind thinking Republicans are in a no-win situation and confirming him anyways, but dropping Kavanaugh and nominating someone else seems like the only smart play.  

Do Republican voters want a conservative SC judge or specifically Kavanaugh so he can protect Trump?  I thought the "intellectual" conservatives didn't care for Trump, they just wanted the SC majority. Which is it?

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Can I get an update on what has happened this morning? I’ve been busy at work and haven’t kept up. Thanks.

real quick:

credible witness, tears in the room, republicans with a 1000 yard stare, knowing that they done fucked themselves. prosecutor trying her damndest to try and construct a narrative, but the format is breaking her procedure, because it's 5 minutes for her, then 5 minutes for a democrat, then back to her. she's trying to catch her out on minor details for a major PTSD event. 

this is a disaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

odds that they pull Kavanaugh before he testifies?

That would be the most cowardly thing ever.   She's a private citizen who has now testified under excruciating circumstances.  He's a public figure and DC Circuit judge.   He owes it to everyone to testify publicly under oath. 

real quick:

credible witness, tears in the room, republicans with a 1000 yard stare, knowing that they done fucked themselves. prosecutor trying her damndest to try and construct a narrative, but the format is breaking her procedure, because it's 5 minutes for her, then 5 minutes for a democrat, then back to her. she's trying to catch her out on minor details for a major PTSD event. 

this is a disaster.

So it’s looking worse for republicans than if they asked their own questions? Or is it just enough buffer to make them not look like moronic assholes about this m?

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

There will be a million woman march on Washington if Kavanaugh is confirmed.  I get the reasoning behind thinking Republicans are in a no-win situation and confirming him anyways, but dropping Kavanaugh and nominating someone else seems like the only smart play.  

Do Republican voters want a conservative SC judge or specifically Kavanaugh so he can protect Trump?  I thought the "intellectual" conservatives didn't care for Trump, they just wanted the SC majority. Which is it?

If they lose the senate in November which is likely, they won't get the conservative they want. Which is why we are here, and why they are in such a bad position. 

Through all this I didn't realize Dr. Ford was 15 at the time. I just think of her as being in HS, and a PHD now. She was 15 when this happened. So young and look how it affects her to this day. And it makes me want me to never let my 15 year old daughter out of the house.

• Like 1

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

So it’s looking worse for republicans than if they asked their own questions?

oh, i think they would have come off worse, if possible. the prosecutor is apolitical. they would not have been able to help themselves.

they know they are a bunch of old white dudes, and it would be a bad look for them to bear down on any female accuser. with this one? it would be even more disastrous.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

real quick:

this is a disaster.

seems to be strategically dumb to have the prosecutor.  (1) it looks bad to have a prosecutor do your work, you look needlessly aggressive instead of truth finding but (2) importantly, she brings nothing to the table.  A prosecutor doesn't examine the victim of the crime.  They examine the criminal.  She has no relevant experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

There already were 750,000 women marching on Washington.  And the republicans dismissed them as libtard, pussy hat wearing, hysterical, vulgar, stupid, Islamist, Antifa supporters.  

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Grassly told a reporter that they will need to sleep on what they have heard.  Not a good sign for Kavanaugh if he's wavering.

"need to sleep on" = need to get quick polling results

I hope they don't confirm Kavanaugh for the sake of the nation (it will quite possibly lead to the impeachment of a SCOTUS justice), but others have pointed out that Republicans favor confirming Kavanaugh even if the sexual assault allegations are true.

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I decided to switch over to Fox so I could hear the most critical evaluation (so far it's been pretty strongly against Kavanaugh).

As the break was ending, one of the men on fox said Grassley needs to call an audible and give the prosecutor 20 minutes uninterrupted.

2 minutes ago, sachick said:

Through all this I didn't realize Dr. Ford was 15 at the time. I just think of her as being in HS, and a PHD now. She was 15 when this happened. So young and look how it affects her to this day. And it makes me want me to never let my 15 year old daughter out of the house.

It’s not just daughters. You think just women have trouble coming forward with accusations? I bet the percentage of male victims who are never heard is quite high.

• Like 1

I'm not understanding why the location of her house matters. Or whose house it was? People who went to this party aren't going to remember this party, it was one of many parties that occurred. I don't remember the parties I went to in HS or who was there or who took me home. I could have been at a party where someone was being attached and not known.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It's going to be something about her not remembering how she got home.

that's a bingo.

but again, the prosecutor is going to try and work in a kill shot of some kind, but as @SuingToGetAMessageBoard? pointed out above: putting a victim on trial is not a prosecutor's job. impeaching a witness certainly is, but this isn't going to work, i don't think, despite her best lawyering efforts.

1 minute ago, sachick said:

I'm not understanding why the location of her house matters. Or whose house it was? People who went to this party aren't going to remember this party, it was one of many parties that occurred. I don't remember the parties I went to in HS or who was there or who took me home. I could have been at a party where someone was being attached and not known.

When I received party invites the first thing I would do is get a map and measure the distance. Then I would make a calendar entry. Then I would make a list of all attendees and how many rapes I planned on perpetrating.

By the way, this is "PJ", Patrick Smyth, the guy that Ford said she remembers being there. He denies being there. He works at Price Waterhouse

smyth3.jpg?1537373562

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

that's a bingo.

but again, the prosecutor is going to try and work in a kill shot of some kind, but as @SuingToGetAMessageBoard? pointed out above: putting a victim on trial is not a prosecutor's job. impeaching a witness certainly is, but this isn't going to work, i don't think, despite her best lawyering efforts.

They make her cry, it's not going to be a good look.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Based on the press conference yesterday, I was wondering if Trump was going to call the bull pen after seeing her.

Oh I'm sure he's scrambling for his list and making phone calls.

Trump: "Hey, so, um, want to try and get confirmed in the next month?"

Kelly: "ASK THEM IF THEY SEXUALLY ASSAULTED OR HARRASSED ANYONE, GOD DAMNIT"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Based on the press conference yesterday, I was wondering if Trump was going to call the bull pen after seeing her.

The bullpen has already been called and the reliever is warm.

You just need to look at Fox News during that break.  It's apparent that Bill Shine called them overnight and let them know Kavanaugh would be pulled.  Now they're just preparing the base for that outcome.

• Like 1