GameDay 2018 - The Decline Continues

Thetexashammer

I could appreciate GD more and so would most on this site if our football team was better and actually contending for NCs and getting some run.  But, alas, we’ve been bad to mediocre at best and relegated to Siberia. 

Edited by deadshank

Let's not forget, that on many occasions, Corso is actually correct in his picks...

Lee Corso picks Texas to topple Oklahoma for Big 12 title

247Sports-Aug 25, 2018
Lee Corso predicts Texas to win the Big 12. ... If the offensive line — one that adds Rice graduate transfer Calvin Anderson — holds up, the ...

22 hours ago, Homercles said:

Gonna shamelessly cross-post this because it’s awesome...despite being 99% sure it was an important game we lost (like 99/100 important games Pokes play in football)...but almost seeing herbie die by the hand of corso is almost worth it.

giphy.gif

That's what I'm talkin about!

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, mdleast said:

Though I record it, I almost never watch GD these days other than to quickly scan through and see what they have to say about our game or anything else that really jumps out as I scanning through.  However, I watch every minute of College Football Final the next morning. I've realized I much prefer the recap and breakdown of games than previews.  Plus, my hot sports/assholish opinion - I HATE the special interest stories that litter their show every week now.

Fucking this!!! Every week they come up with some bullshit sob story of which most are nothing more than over hyped BS! And cut it to 90 minutes so I don't have to get up at the ass crack of 8:00 just to ensure I don't miss anything Texas related.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Featuring who?

I'd say Blacklab, Derka, Phlegm, and Rocko 

Never work.

Blacklab would wind up finishing the show by himself while Derka and Rocko tried to kill each other while in the meantime Phlegm would be running around screaming "muledick" while trying to soak Rocko and Derka with gasoline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whether some of you watch the show or not, they have owned Saturday mornings for years. Revenue is up, and they have a solid following compared to any other segment on the ESPN platform. And now with a new CEO who is very quietly cleaning up the mess the chemically dependent former CEO left them (like Jemelle Hill getting the boot today). Expect them to address moving on from Corso. Lee earned his check for years, and has been fun as the lovable goof ball comedian on the set. But for the success of the show to continue his spot must addressed.

And please stop with the Rinalde heart warmers every fucking Saturday. There are 130 major universities, comprising thousands of players, coaches and staff. With that many people bad shit happens. Do that type of story once a month. Pick something informative, ironic or even cringe worthy. But back off the tear jerkers.

And why they moved Fowler for Rece is still a mystery. Davis does a decent job. But when you catch him off set, like Dan Patrick you see a completely different personality. He is far better off set then when he is not pigeon holed into holding dumb ass Desmond’s hand, steering Lee. And trying not to get the company fecal matter on his suit from Herbie.Maybe Fowler just said fuck it and took the cut in pay?

Going back to one hour would also make me happy. But Home Depot would never allow that with the investment they have in the show. If we don’t hear some type of built by Home Depot every 2 minutes they get unhappy. When the show is hitting their mark it can be entertaining. Though we are all burned out by the SEC agreement ESPN has. There are many other teams they could give a little time to.

I'd roll with Leach, Les Miles, and Dan Hawkins and just let the show become a completely off-script wheels-off free for all.

Leach was on XM when he was between jobs. I think that forum worked for him well, but he is a little slow in his delivery for TV.

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

And why they moved Fowler for Rece is still a mystery.

I'm pretty sure that Chris Fowler moving on was his choice, not ESPN's.  And, I must say, I've been pleasantly  surprised with how Davis has worked out.  I was incredibly skeptical at first.  Maybe its just because he's not alongside the asshat twins every night, but he is by no means anywhere close to the biggest problem with Gameday right now.

1 hour ago, OrangEngr said:

I'm pretty sure that Chris Fowler moving on was his choice, not ESPN's.  And, I must say, I've been pleasantly  surprised with how Davis has worked out.  I was incredibly skeptical at first.  Maybe its just because he's not alongside the asshat twins every night, but he is by no means anywhere close to the biggest problem with Gameday right now.

I always thought they were the same guy. 

Like he just for some unexplained reason changed his name mid career and no one made a big fuss about it

• Like 1

Used to be a can't miss program on Saturdays but I haven't watched in years. I feel bad no one has the sack to tell Corso to hang it up, it's doing him a disservice to keep trotting him out there to bumble around.
#metoo.

After a late Friday night of partying I would set my alarm to make coffee and enjoy CGD. Haven't watched it for 2 seasons no longer than 20 minutes a year. Religiously record the decent b12 or b1g that starts at 11 and bypass the CGD show all together now.

ESPN sucks, but I will use them for games. They now have no non sport programs I seek information from.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, TheFlyingBoat said:

Herbie, Fowler, and Corso are GameDay to me. Get rid of everyone else imo. Honestly bench Corso now too; he's too old and has lost his marbles 

Ever since Fowler left, seems like that other dude that replaced him tries too hard to stir the pot.  One thing the still do pretty well is 'pulling at the heartstrings' pieces. 

I completely agree that 90% of GD is hot garbage.  That's why I set the DVR for it, give it a good 2 hour head start and then watch what I choose to from it.  Most of the time, I'm done in 20 minutes....move on to games...win. 

That's basically what I do w/ all of ESPN's cfb coverage shows.  Anything, and I mean any fucking thing that has Finebaum on it, gets ff'd through.

Used to be a full two hour watcher, but have slowly dwindled to 10-50% watcher.  My thoughts:

3 hours is too long.  Leads to filler

Rece, Fowler, Kirk all fall in my category of "They're ok and sometimes good, but it's ESPN, so they could easily do way worse.  Can't complain too much".  I've always liked Spielman's persona and perspective (Fox now I think).  I think Pollack could tap into that somewhat, while still bringing the youthful/active presence ESPN wants on a pregame show.

You won't be able to replace Corso easily, so don't force it.  Get a good replacement for the humorous / old timer / lifer coach role (Spurrier, Leach, etc).  Not sure if they'll be able to continue the headgear tradition without it being forced.

Maria Taylor has  huge shoes to fill behind Sam and especially Erin.  Need to see more to form a better opinion there, but she seems to do alright.

Less Feinbaum, Holtz, May, McElroy.  Way less Marty Smith.

Less fluffy / yelling game analysis.  More thoughtful analysis of tactics, strategy, and execution along the lines of the coach's corner (or whatever it's called) broadcast for the playoff games.

Need to do better with spots about campus life. Todd Blackledge has a good 1-2 min segment during his games where he hits a campus restaurant and chows down.  Need more of that during CGD.

Less DJ stuff.  If the school has a good marching band, give them some time.  Heck, how about some acts associated with the school/town.  Doesn't have to be a famous artist.

Less Tom Rinaldi tear jerker suff.  More Tom Rinaldi narratives about the actual game, history, tradition, stadiums.

New weekly segment: Aggypedia topic of the week or "This Week in Aggypedia History" with RD

Despite popular opposition, I do like the "Comin' To Your Cit[ayyyyy]y" entrance, but not a fan of the recent iteration with Lzzy Hale and the white dude with ear gauges.

I like how they hit an FCS game and Army-Navy pretty much every year.  I'd like to see a little more destination variety than the SEC visits every other week.

4 hours ago, BadgerHorn said:

Despite popular opposition, I do like the "Comin' To Your Cit[ayyyyy]y" entrance, but not a fan of the recent iteration with Lzzy Hale...

THANK YOU! 

I have no problem with Big & Rich, and I could even deal with Cowboy Troy, but that skank ruined what used to be a fun opening sequence.

Edited by Newbomb_Turk

On 8/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, Incredulity said:

Problem with Corso is he seems to have weeks where he is back to just being a goofy clown.  Then he falls apart to stroke impaired mush mouth.

You need to close captioning to understand Desmond or Corso.    At least the latter has an excuse. 

22 hours ago, BadgerHorn said:

Less DJ stuff.  If the school has a good marching band, give them some time.  Heck, how about some acts associated with the school/town.  Doesn't have to be a famous artist.

You don't like the musical talents of "guy who presses play on laptop" and the generic pop-country rap loops of Florida Georgia Line?

On August 25, 2018 at 2:49 PM, Okie State said:

Desmond was the only one saying the committee is bullshit so props to him for that.

Desmond's a fucking moron. And he can barely speak. I stopped watching soon after he joined the cast. 

The downfall started with the introduction of Big & Rich doing the theme song. I don't know the timespan between those events but it was a steady decline between the two. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1