Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

44 minutes ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

We are the cesspool.

Y'all will love this!

that is AWESOME! an entire article, devoid of any actual analysis of really anything, the entire premise of which is "we are a cesspool, just give him a chance!!!!" ends with:

Be better. At least give him a chance to finish two seasons.

Nothing will change with changing OC this is Hermans offense. Look at year 2 with UH and Wards regression. They tried to make him something he was not. Ward was criticized by Herman in year one for using his legs too much. When they tried to make him more of a pocket passer his game suffered.

29 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We "knew" early on Charlie wasn't the guy.

bullshit. at this point in charlie's tenure, if you were making any declarative statements that were negative about him as a head coach you were getting absolutely roasted. the most seasoned football minds amongst us were still in complete denial about the now obvious signs they were seeing.

This is a dynamic I did not expect. Herman has completely lost the fan base. It is probably not all his fault, either. Years of apathy has a lot to do with this. But he certainly has not helped himself. 

The ending of the game was so bizarre. Usually  after the last kneeling of the ball, with the coaches walking toward the middle of the field before time expires. the crowd starts cheering and the broadcasters start talking about "this win yada yada yada". As Herman started walking to midfield with seconds on the clock the crowd was dead silent. The broadcast didn't say a word. It was so freaking bizarre. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

bullshit. at this point in charlie's tenure, if you were making any declarative statements that were negative about him as a head coach you were getting absolutely roasted. the most seasoned football minds amongst us were still in complete denial about the now obvious signs they were seeing.

Anyone with a pulse could see Charlie was in over his head.  Jesus christ, both initial seasons mirror each other.  A salty, tough defense comprised of seasoned players that kept the team in games with a dogshit offense blamed on youth and inexperience.  Both went to bowl games.  Then the second season rolls around, those seasoned players on D are gone, and the regression begins, coupled with the same dogshit offense.  Then we'll go out, get a new offense coordinator at the end of this season, and still see the same dogshit offense in year three, and then fire his ass and start over.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat .  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Anyone with a pulse could see Charlie was in over his head.  Jesus christ, both initial seasons mirror each other.  A salty, tough defense comprised of seasoned players that kept the team in games with a dogshit offense blamed on youth and inexperience.  Both went to bowl games.  Then the second season rolls around, those seasoned players on D are gone, and the regression begins, coupled with the same dogshit offense.  Then we'll go out, get a new offense coordinator at the end of this season, and still see the same dogshit offense in year three, and then fire his ass and start over.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat .  

Then 95% of shag was dead’r than a doorknob.

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Go read the first 10 pages or so of this thread, which was started after 1 game into Strong's 2nd season (ignore the scat, or not).  http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/162601-Fire-Charlie

Then come back to tell us about how everyone knew Strong wasn't the guy at this point.  Only a vocal few of us were even saying that at loud.  It was not pretty.  

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Go read the first 10 pages or so of this thread, which was started after 1 game into Strong's 2nd season (ignore the scat, or not).  http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/162601-Fire-Charlie

Then come back to tell us about how everyone knew Strong wasn't the guy at this point.  Only a vocal few of us were even saying that at loud.  It was not pretty.  

he's just gotta tear it down before he can build it up! foundation made of brick(head)s!

11 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I'd say this weekend is pretty much a must win for both fan support and player buy in.  Luckily Herman has a pretty good track record of getting his team up for big games.  

Can't believe I am saying this but it is honestly hard for me to even give a shit at this point. I am so beat down since 2009. On top of the shitty records we have a HC who I was originally thrilled about, but has very quickly worn thin. The "I know better than anyone" mensa mentality is fine if you, you know, actually win games. Never thought I'd have trouble caring about a matchup of UT v USC, but here we are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Can't believe I am saying this but it is honestly hard for me to even give a shit at this point. I am so beat down since 2009. On top of the shitty records we have a HC who I was originally thrilled about, but has very quickly worn thin. The "I know better than anyone" mensa mentality is fine if you, you know, actually win games. Never thought I'd have trouble caring about a matchup of UT v USC, but here we are.

Agreed. It would be fun watching a team build talent/experience, a coaching staff develop offensive/defensive identities,  and set up stability. But no, it’s been like a pounding a bottle of bush mills and waking up the next day hoping you didn’t die, wind up in jail, or calling your ex-girlfriend.

• Like 2

Nobody and I mean nobody should be happy with the outcomes so far but thinking a coach should be fired after a little over a year is laughable. And doing so before the 3rd or even 4th year is even worse than losing a few games we have no business losing. 

I was the voice of reason on this board when it came to giving Strong that third year to prove he could turn it around. It seemed like the reasonable viewpoint at the time, and probably was more reasonable than those that wanted him dumped after year two. To dump a head coach of a major program after only two years is extremely aggressive.

With all of that said, the Herman situation is different. He inherited better players. He has proven to be an enormous jerk as compared to Strong. The situation wrt Texas football is far more serious and urgent than it was under Strong. This program is on the verge of dropping to depths it’s never seen before, possibly unrecoverable for a long time. We don’t have the luxury to sit around and hope Herman can coach. He MUST show some sort of indication that he can get the job done.

Last year, the three close losses and a solid recruiting class were encouraging enough to think the program was headed in the right direction. But if we stumble our way to a four or five win season, in my op ion all bets are off and the administration should take a hard look at whether to make a change.
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone with half a brain actually expects him to get fired in the middle of this season, or even at the end of this season unless something truly bizarre happens.  From my perspective, I feel like I've already seen this play out with Strong, and I think a lot of people probably feel that way.  I think that's why people are so much more up in arms now than they were at this point in Strong's tenure.  I now have no expectation that Herman can get the job done and that the rest of this season and next season will just be waiting for it to play itself out so they can bring in somebody else.   Feeling that way makes it very hard not to be apathetic about the whole situation.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Eugene11 said:

Why do y’all think this is dumb? The joke that is Aggy football and their bimbo coach just took Clemson down to the wire.

Because, you fucking tard, nobody fires a coach after a season and two games. Regardless of what the future may hold.

37 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't think anyone with half a brain actually expects him to get fired in the middle of this season, or even at the end of this season unless something truly bizarre happens.  From my perspective, I feel like I've already seen this play out with Strong, and I think a lot of people probably feel that way.  I think that's why people are so much more up in arms now than they were at this point in Strong's tenure.  I now have no expectation that Herman can get the job done and that the rest of this season and next season will just be waiting for it to play itself out so they can bring in somebody else.   Feeling that way makes it very hard not to be apathetic about the whole situation.

Yeah there are just too many similarities between Herman and Strong's respective tenures thus far. Albeit the bowl game/win. I'm not even impatient I just don't care. We lose to Maryland back to back openers and a dog fight with Tulsa... what exactly am I supposed to be excited about? The defense seems to have taken a sizable step backwards. Certainly not the offense or the QB. Sam is young but he has some soul crushing turnovers far too often. Beck is Beck. Herman's attitude and demeanor really rub me the wrong way. Can't find a fuck to give about this season until one hits me in the face. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I think you misunderstood the point of the discussion of context. I do not think anyone suggests during our press conference we announce that A&M success lead to our decision but rather what the landscape looks like in the totality of the decision. You have to be completely obtuse to think the 75M investment into a Jimbo Fisher and his staff have not made things much more difficult for Texas. We simply do not have years to waste giving someone a predetermined timeline because custom dictates. That’s why coaches get guaranteed contracts. 

No I get it.  But firing him today isn't going to improve that situation.  It would probably make it worse.  Whether to fire him at the end of the season is a different question.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No I get it.  But firing him today isn't going to improve that situation.  It would probably make it worse.  Whether to fire him at the end of the season is a different question.

100%

You don't fire the guy this early.  But every red flag we have should be up.  Specifically, contingency plans for if/when we spit the bit and move on.  This hire was reactionary.  We flinched on a guy we feared was going to be scooped up by neighboring schools.  I was on board.  Many were.  But just isn't anything to grasp to now.  At least Charlie seemed like a good guy and didn't come across like a condescending twat.  

As for the ag's, I'm not convinced they aren't riding the Sumlin-Train2.0.  First season seems like they've hit pay-dirt.  Riding high.  Will probably win 8 games, possibly upset a team or two they shouldn't have.  Then things slowly start to slip.  It's his recruiting that worries me.  He's got 2019 wrapped up.  Now he's crushing 2020 while we fart around trying to get Baylor recruits to flip.  

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am not even in the camp of firing Herman. Firing him now is insanely idiotic. The premise of the theoretical coaching search is based on the season going the way we think it might be headed. Then the question is, do you consider replacing him this December? Or do you give him a chance to replace his staff?  I think context for making that decision is based on a number of things including a review of his process,  how badly the season goes, the competitive landscape and who is available. 

I would be in favor of making him replace his offensive staff and if we come in next year and it's still a shit sandwich, firing him earlier in the season. 

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am not even in the camp of firing Herman. Firing him now is insanely idiotic. The premise of the theoretical coaching search is based on the season going the way we think it might be headed. Then the question is, do you consider replacing him this December? Or do you give him a chance to replace his staff?  I think context for making that decision is based on a number of things including a review of his process,  how badly the season goes, the competitive landscape and who is available. 

I would be in favor of making him replace his offensive staff and if we come in next year and it's still a shit sandwich, firing him earlier in the season. 

On paper a lot of this works. 

I'm most concerned with #1, why an offensive coach needs to be forced to change his entire offensive staff (if he can't manage the offense what is he good at?), #2 who will he be able to pull in here when it will be obvious he's got one year left to prove it (story went that a lot of oc candidates told Charlie no bc of the perceived risk that wouldn't get more than a single year), and #3 how much does recruiting tank during this year and next when it's clearly obvious Tom may not be sticking around while our recruiting threats have stable ships. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm most concerned with #1, why an offensive coach needs to be forced to change his entire offensive staff (if he can't manage the offense what is he good at?), #2 who will he be able to pull in here when it will be obvious he's got one year left to prove it (story went that a lot of oc candidates told Charlie no bc of the perceived risk that wouldn't get more than a single year), and #3 how much does recruiting tank during this year and next when it's clearly obvious Tom may not be sticking around while our recruiting threats have stable ships. 

In a vacuum none of these are insurmountable issues, but when you strong this after what happened to Charlie, this is a huge problem.  No OC worth his salt is coming here.  We were able to lure Gilbert, and even that was rocky.  Now, that card is played.  And when what we need more than anything are strong players on offense, it's even more difficult.  What makes it even worse is the lack of development.  You have a coach on shaky ground that can't develop shit.  Yeah, let me send my kid there....

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If Tech implodes, hire KK as the OC.  Guy did a great job in that role before he was a HC.

Seems like a logical idea except there's no way he'd want to run Herman's power spread offense.  Our current OC doesn't seem to want to run it either.

Edited by Brock Sampson

1 minute ago, Brock Sampson said:

Seems like a logical idea except there's no way he'd want to run Herman's power spread offense.  Our current OC doesn't seem to want to run it either.

This makes me crazy.  This is like a shit-storm of Strong's ineptitude and Mack's stubbornness to try and run that power running game BS post-2009.  Just copy what TCU and OU do and quit farting around.  

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

I'd say this weekend is pretty much a must win for both fan support and player buy in.  Luckily Herman has a pretty good track record of getting his team up for big games.  

So what? MensaTom needs some serious improvement, "pretty good" won't get it. He needs an excellent track record in getting his team up for every game. He probably has this year and next to make that happen, and it needs to start happening now. He needs to win all the games he is expected to win, and at least one he is not expected to win. 

Beating SC this Saturday is a toss-up, I think. They beat a fairly bad UNLV (by scoring 24 points in Q4) and last week got stuffed by Stanford. We have to play a whole lot better than we have so far if we're going to beat them. I don't expect we will, but it is as close to a must-win as MensaTom has seen here. If he pulls it out, he will be way, way up on getting the whole thing turned around - assuming he has the sense to not act like his mommy just told him they're going to Disneyland, and instead congratulates the team and coaches (at least, the ones not named Tom Herman) on a decent performance and proceeds to enumerate what we did wrong and still need to work on - "We're getting better, but we're not a really good team, not yet." 

If Tech implodes, hire KK as the OC.  Guy did a great job in that role before he was a HC.
The problem us CTH isn't going to let him run the offense. And that's a big problem.

Herman's offense sucks. We all see that. But he isn't going to let someone else take over that side if the ball. It is infuriating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic